Josh McCown Retires

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Jets were like 15mill under cap last year Josh’s salary didn’t prevent us from signing anyone 

But he...still...didn't...deserve it.

What about teachers and firefighters and artisanal cheese straighteners?

THEY deserve that money.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

So the Jets' fan base is now reduced to looking back fondly at players who couldn't be expected to actually win, just lose in a routine, unremarkable  manner?  Is there no hope for us?

No, we’re not reduced to anything.  Some of us just understand the situation that brought him here and appreciate a pro who always acted like one.  We’re all excited about Darnold now.  You can both respect the career of Josh McCown and be glad we may finally have a guy that means we no longer need the McCowns of the world.  Still, not rocket science.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So not respecting McCown's on-field career to the right level warrants this now at JN, eh?

An interesting take by the same folks who get upset when a lifetime 23-53 QB is not properly respected.

No one rational is upset. McCown just seems like a weird ass target of hate

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

But he...still...didn't...deserve it.

What about teachers and firefighters and artisanal cheese straighteners?

THEY deserve that money.

Artisanal cheese straighteners are always worth it.  I hear the Pats have at least three on the payroll.

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Still doesn’t mean it wasn’t a dumb move

It’s also dumb to put your pants on both legs at a time but what’s the harm?

and by the way given the first round qb flop rate in the NFL and for Jets specifically, it’s only “dumb” because everyone is so jacked up in Darnold now.

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

No one rational is upset. McCown just seems like a weird ass target of hate

Where do you see hate?

It's hard to reach common ground or consensus if we can't agree on terms.

Was Josh McCown a journeyman?  Do we agree on that?

Was Josh McCown a short-timer in New York (2 seasons out of his 16 in the NFL)?  Do we agree on that?

What is the correct term for a career 23-53 Quarterback with a QBR hovering mostly in the 30's?  Is Loser not right?  If so, what is the best term to describe a QB who lost most of his games and played poorly by established metrics?  Give me a better term and I'll use it.

Josh McCown was a bad QB who was just good enough to be kept around as a backup, and got a few chances on bad teams to play, and he generally played pretty badly.  Is that fair?  If not, how would you describe it?

John McCown was signed by the New York Jets to play QB and win games, right?  Mentorship came later in 2018.  In 2017, long before Sam, he was signed to compete and win, correct?  He went 5-8 with production that was towards the bottom of the league.  What is the right word to describe that?

If I say I don't respect the career of Josh McCown, is that hate, or is that saying he wasn't a very good QB?

If I have little interest in his personality off the field, is that hate, or just a focus on winning?

I've said he is (from all accounts) a good man.  None of US know that to be true, we just hear it.  Is it hate to say that, or must we pretend we know him and to thus praise him?

Sam says he helped him, so he helped him, that's a plus.  If overstated it takes away from Sam himself.  Is diminishing that hate of Josh?  Is overstating it hate of Sam?  

I don't see hate anywhere here.  I don't know Josh McCown, and I never will.  I simply don't have interest in him beyond his role as a now-former Jets QB.  Is that hate?

Help me understand jgb, we generally agree alot.  Clearly I'm making no progress with these other folks, so help me, educate me.  Where is that hate?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Where do you see hate?

It's hard to reach common ground or consensus if we can't agree on terms.

Was Josh McCown a journeyman?  Do we agree on that?

Was Josh McCown a short-timer in New York (2 seasons out of his 16 in the NFL)?  Do we agree on that?

What is the correct term for a career 23-53 Quarterback?  Is Loser not right?  If so, what is the best term to describe a QB who lost most of his games?

Josh McCown was a bad QB who was just good enough to be kept around as a backup, and got a few chances on bad teams to play, and he generally played pretty badly.  Is that fair?  If not, how would you describe it?

John McCown was signed by the New York Jets to play QB and win games, right?  Mentorship came later in 2018.  In 2017, long before Sam, he was signed to win, correct?  He went 5-8 with production that was towards the bottom of the league.  What is the right word to describe that?

If I say I don't respect the career of Josh McCown, is that hate, or is that saying he wasn't a very good QB?

If I have little interest in his personality off the field, is that hate, or just a focus on winning?

I've said he is (from all accounts) a good man.  None of US know that to be true, we just hear it.  Is it hate to say that?

Sam says he helped him, so he helped him, that's a plus.  If overstated it takes away from Sam himself.  Is diminishing that hate of Josh?  Is overstating it hate of Sam?  

I don't see hate anywhere here.  I don't know Josh McCown, and I never will.  I simply don't have interest in him beyond his role as a now-former Jets QB.  Is that hate?

Help me understand jgb, we generally agree alot.  Clearly I'm making no progress with these other folks, so help me, educate me.  Where is that hate?

You’re the one writing a book about a dude for whom you disclaim strong feels.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

You’re the one writing a book about a dude for whom you disclaim strong feels.

Not to start.  I'm at an utter loss over the IMO extreme reaction to basically saying the guy sucked.  

Plus I always write books, to be fair.  Bloviation is my schtick apparently.

Just now, Peace Frog said:

I'm a classically trained mountaineer and it is my trade, but my hobby, my passion, is straightening cheese.   

Nothing like a good smoked Oscypek.  They're odd shape means a proper straightener is vital to ongoing proper presentation.

12 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

nah, dont hate revis...   he's just MASSIVELY overrated by most Jet fans. No way is he even close to a HOF player.

So you REALLY don't know what world class athlete is.

Revis is a lock Hall of Famer, the only question is first or second ballot.

The guy excelled at one of the hardest positions in football during a time when every rule was implemented agains them.

An all time great CB.

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The guy excelled at one of the hardest positions in football during a time when every rule was implemented agains them.

An all time great CB.

But he treated a business like a business. Shame on him 

Revis is easy:

-Respect him as a HOF-level football player.  

-Respect that he was mercenary and took care of himself first and foremost.

-Don't like him much as a Jets Fan because as a Jets Fan I care most about whats best for the team, not the player.  And he hurt us many times, holdouts, played for our hated rival and won a title there, was lazy at the end, etc, etc. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

So Sam won't be a success in his career without the wisdom passed on by Josh McCown?  If this was the case, why not hire him as a Coach now, if his input into Sam is so vital to Sam's future success?

A best-QB-prospect-in-draft needed a journeyman to teach him how to play QB?  You guys must not think very much of Sam Darnold tbqh. 

I think Sam will succeed (or fail) on Sam himself, not on having a brief cup-of-coffee for part of one year with Josh McCown.

Um... that’s not what I said AT ALL. I simply said Mccown helped him.  Darnold will succeed because he is talented and mentally strong. I was simply giving McCown credit for giving him some pointers as a rookie who is new to the league

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

nah, dont hate revis...   he's just MASSIVELY overrated by most Jet fans. No way is he even close to a HOF player.

But you complained about McCown taking 10 mil.  Revis was an armed burglar for his last contract.  A ghost of himself and we could have gotten more OL but MAC paid him in the same manner he paid McCown. desperation.  So are you being biased?   I hate Revis for his selfish ways but McCown took what was offered, never held out on a contract and never  put himself in front of the team.  

McCown is one lucky dude....

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

An all time great CB.

we agree that when we look at each other we think the other guy doenst kow wtf hes on about. ok by me.

27 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

But you complained about McCown taking 10 mil.  Revis was an armed burglar for his last contract.  A ghost of himself and we could have gotten more OL but MAC paid him in the same manner he paid McCown. desperation.  So are you being biased?   I hate Revis for his selfish ways but McCown took what was offered, never held out on a contract and never  put himself in front of the team.  

McCown is one lucky dude....

The Jets taking revis back the last time was idicoy. True. And I am not mad at Mccown for AQCCEPTING 10 mil.

Mad at jets for giving it. For a QB who cant play for sh*t- EVER. Jets romance w/ Revis was something irrayional.

HOF my ass.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

we agree that when we look at each other we think the other guy doenst kow wtf hes on about. ok by me.

Do yourself a favor. 

Google “Darelle Revis”.  

And then tack on “Hall of Fame”. 

See what non-Jet fans feel about the subject. 

You sound like an imbecile. 

No disrespect to true imbeciles. 

I’m not saying you don’t know wtf you are talking about but you don’t know wtf you are talking about. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Do yourself a favor. 

Google “Darelle Revis”.  

And then tack on “Hall of Fame”. 

See what non-Jet fans feel about the subject. 

You sound like an imbecile. 

No disrespect to true imbeciles. 

I’m not saying you don’t know wtf you are talking about but you don’t know wtf you are talking about. 

go **** yourself you arrogant sister ****er. i've been civil with you. 

i say we agree to disagree and you call me names. that there is a rank **** move.,

thought the name calling was sposed to be off limits.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Losmeister said:

go **** yourself you arrogant sister ****er. i've been civil with you. 

i say we agree to disagree and you call me names. that there is a rank **** move.,

thought the name calling was sposed to be off limits.

You’ve been less than civil but sure, maybe I should just “sod off” or whatever wankers say to people. 

But honestly, google Revis and HOF and let me know whether your opinions are in line with the rest of the world’s.  

I can be convinced. 

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Um... that’s not what I said AT ALL. I simply said Mccown helped him.  Darnold will succeed because he is talented and mentally strong. I was simply giving McCown credit for giving him some pointers as a rookie who is new to the league

Did McCown provide something most other similar veterans wouldn’t have provided?

I don’t think so personally. But we can never know. What happened, happened.