Rank the 18 coaches in NYJ history

1st is undoubtedly Weeb Ewbank. Anybody who wins the SB takes a higher seat than the rest. Close 2nd is Parcells. Followed by Rex Ryan.

After that there's a whole mess of sh*tty coaches in any sort of order. Dead last is Kotite.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Green Truth said:

I will give it a shot.  Left the Titans coaches out.

1. Weeb - Only because he has the only trophy or this would have been Big Bill

2. Parcells

3 Rex

4 Herm

5 Walt Michaels

6 Walton

7 Mangini

8 Groh

9 Carroll

10 Coslet

11 Bowles

12 Winner

13 Holtz

14 Shipp

15 Holovak

16 Kotite

17 Belichick

18 Belichick

Coslet over Bowles?

12 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

1st is undoubtedly Weeb Ewbank. Anybody who wins the SB takes a higher seat than the rest. Close 2nd is Parcells. Followed by Rex Ryan.

After that there's a whole mess of sh*tty coaches in any sort of order. Dead last is Kotite.

nailed it hammer time GIF

15 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

2. Parcells

3 Rex

4 Herm

5 Walt Michaels

6 Walton

7 Mangini

8 Groh

9 Carroll

10 Coslet

11 Bowles

12 Winner

13 Holtz

14 Shipp

15 Holovak

16 Kotite

17 Belichick

18 Belichick

Herm was an awful head coach.  He was the reason we lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs one year.  He was afraid to lose the game, so he played "not to lose", instead of playing to win, and of course he lost.  

After the first 3 on your list, it is a really sad list.  Kotite was by far the worst, but Holtz was incompetent and deserves to be tied for second to last along with Charlie Winner, who I believe was Holtz's son-in-law.  

Above Winner and below Rex, the list doesn't matter to me; they all were awful!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crimson King said:

1. Walt Michaels (did way more with less than everyone seems to think)

2. Weeb

3-14.  EE

15. Bowles

16. Groh 

17. Winner

18. Holtz

Listen to me, Kotite was the worst head coach in Jets history.  This is not even a question.  

On the other hand, I overlooked Walt Michaels on your list, and agree that he is much higher on the list, but to put him over Weeb is just plain wrong.

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

Listen to me, Kotite was the worst head coach in Jets history.  This is not even a question.  

On the other hand, I overlooked Walt Michaels on your list, and agree that he is much higher on the list, but to put him over Weeb is just plain wrong.

I don't care that his record was better, but Lou Holtz quit on his team after week 13.  That puts him below Kotite on my list.  Both guys sucked.  But only one of them was a quitter.  

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Alka said:

Herm was an awful head coach.  He was the reason we lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs one year.  He was afraid to lose the game, so he played "not to lose", instead of playing to win, and of course he lost.  

After the first 3 on your list, it is a really sad list.  Kotite was by far the worst, but Holtz was incompetent and deserves to be tied for second to last along with Charlie Winner, who I believe was Holtz's son-in-law.  

Above Winner and below Rex, the list doesn't matter to me; they all were awful!!

I understand Herm should have slammed it up closer with Jordan,  the thing is Dougie had 2 chances to seal it and he blew it twice.   Herm has the most coached playoff games behind Rex.  He was not that terrible.  Considering the mess that was before Parcells.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

I understand Herm should have slammed it up closer with Jordan,  the thing is Dougie had 2 chances to seal it and he blew it twice.   Herm has the most coached playoff games behind Rex.  He was not that terrible.  Considering the mess that was before Parcells.

We will agree to disagree.  It's not like Dougie had 2 chances at 40 yards or less, they were both 47 yard field goals if my memory is correct.  Herm decided to slam it up the middle for basically no gains, instead of trying to throw a short out pass or any creativity whatsoever.  Herm at the moment we needed him the most, he folded like a cheap suit.

Ironically, he was remembered for saying at a news conference: "You play to win the game".

Unfortunately, he played to not lose the game against Pittsburgh, and I for one will never forgive him.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't care that his record was better, but Lou Holtz quit on his team after week 13.  That puts him below Kotite on my list.  Both guys sucked.  But only one of them was a quitter.  

You got me on this one.  I have to agree with you, but my visualization of Kotite is picking his nose on the sideline, as the team quit in several of the games.

I mean, the team looked like they were quitting on the field, and I was embarrassed to be a Jets fan.

I did put Holtz right ahead of Kotite, so I wasn't too far off from your opinion initially.  :)  

• Upvote 2

Chaddy Cakes and his folly floaters would have probably ended up in a pick six.  They were most likely going to sit on the outside routes.  I hear what you are saying.  I don't  care how tough it is to kick in the open end of that place.  You are making money for a reason.  You have to make the kick.  Its all past history now,  but Herm was top 5 for this miserable franchise,

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

2. Parcells

3 Rex

4 Herm

5 Walt Michaels

6 Walton

7 Mangini

8 Groh

9 Carroll

10 Coslet

11 Bowles

12 Winner

13 Holtz

14 Shipp

15 Holovak

16 Kotite

17 Belichick

18 Belichick

I like your list.  It's pretty accurate.  In my opinion Walt Michaels needs to be ranked above Herm Edwards.  Walt Michaels was a good man and  a quality coach, who got a raw deal.

Mangini, and Herm,  are basically of the same quality.  In other words, not great.

Joey {the nose picker} Walton, Al Groh, Carrol, and Bruce  Coslet, make up the next tier.  Mediocre or worse.

You can group Holtz, Winner, Shipp together too, as they basically had no impact as Coaches in NYJ history.

Then you have Kotite and Toilet Bowles.  They are the two worst, based on the pain they inflicted to the fan base and franchise.

Belicheat doesn't count because he's a piece of sh#t, that doesn't deserve comment.

Good job.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

After the first six on my list not one of them has taken the jets to the playoffs.

2 of them got there on another coaches sweat.  Rex taking Mangini's team and Walton taking Michaels team.  If Michaels does not get canned for being a belligerent drunk on an airplane.  Michaels would have been banging on the table for Marino in 83.

1 hour ago, Green Truth said:

2. Parcells

3 Rex

4 Herm

5 Walt Michaels

6 Walton

7 Mangini

8 Groh

9 Carroll

10 Coslet

11 Bowles

12 Winner

13 Holtz

14 Shipp

15 Holovak

16 Kotite

17 Belichick

18 Belichick

1. I would put Michaels over Herm.  If Shula doesn't pull the tarp off the field, he goes to the Super Bowl with Richard Freakin' Todd as his QB

2. I would put Mangini over Walton.  Walton had O'Brien who was better than Todd and peak Toon, Shuler, McNeil, Walker plus a good chunk of the Sack Exchange and never got beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs. Mangini had a broken down Chad and a broken down Favre and had the same winning percentage.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lith said:

Holtz was terrible in the NFL but he wrote a fight song for the Jets (LOL), and while bowles did not quit, he gave up long before the end of the season

all three are bottom of the list

Wow I think everybody needs to hold up! First off all the Parcells love I really don't get at all. Yes he changed the culture when he got here and we went to the 98 AFC Championship game. Does anybody remember his final season and how thin we were? We had to start Tom Tupa.. our f****** punter at quarterback? And then we brought in Rick Mirer? Finally Ray Lucas flashed? The Following Season Parcells completely bailed on this organization hence the Bill Belichick debacle! I resign as the HC of the nyj? Al groh was a joke does anybody remember the Green Lantern thing? Okay so we had one great moment the Monday night miracle and then? The team completely imploded and he got the hell out of here too! In my opinion the Parcells era was f****** Fool's Gold! He did what he could but we had absolute zero as far as backups and depth. When Testaverde went down the dream was over and Parcells was exposed and anybody who didn't live that and didn't see it is a fool and a fair-weather Jet fan. The guy who wanted to buy all the groceries he was pretty good for one meal! Terry Bradway as a general manager was a complete joke and they actually demoted him does anybody remember that? He was in so far over his head I remember him looking at the TV Camera like he was Starstruck! It was laughable. Herman Edwards was a good man and a good coach at actually brought class that the organization and we went to the playoffs every time Chad Pennington wasn't hurt. And when they got Mangini in here he was not a TV personality but he was actually a very good football coach and talent evaluator again the playoffs and then we got screwed when our owner went back on his word because Mangini said he didn't want Brett Favre and they fired him after the season which they promised they wouldn't do. Rex Ryan took Mangini and Tenenbaums team, and I have to admit it was very exciting and exhilarating his first few years and then he was totally exposed as a one-sided defensive coordinator. I started following the Jets in 1995 so I can't speak of anything in our history before that but I can tell you what I saw. Herm Edwards was good Eric Mangini was good Tannenbaum was good for a short time and Rex was good for a short time. We have never had good coordination or consistency. Our current regime is the best I have seen without even playing a game hands down. I guess that's my humble opinion so go have a slice

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Alka said:

We will agree to disagree.  It's not like Dougie had 2 chances at 40 yards or less, they were both 47 yard field goals if my memory is correct.  Herm decided to slam it up the middle for basically no gains, instead of trying to throw a short out pass or any creativity whatsoever.  Herm at the moment we needed him the most, he folded like a cheap suit.

Ironically, he was remembered for saying at a news conference: "You play to win the game".

Unfortunately, he played to not lose the game against Pittsburgh, and I for one will never forgive him.

Brien missed a 43 yarder to win the game. That’s a kick he needs to make. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Fun fact I came across semi-recently (might have been here, can’t remember) that I had completely forgotten about: if the Jets had won that game, they would have went to New England for the AFC Championship Game; instead NE wound up playing in Pitt. Turns out that the day of the AFC Championship Game, Foxboro got absolutely buried with a blizzard. Something like 2-3 feet of snow with winds that would have made throwing the ball impossible.

Given that running the ball and stopping the run were the Jets bread and butter that year, we might have had a real good chance to knock off NE and make the Super Bowl.

I bring this up only because no matter who you blame for the loss in Pitt, when I stumbled upon this fact I got irrationally angry all over again over a game played 15 years ago and I’m a vindictive bastard who wants to do the same to all you degenerates on a Monday night. Cheers.

P.S. Of course it was Herm’s fault. The guy TOOK A KNEE kicking into the open end of one of the hardest stadiums to kick in for crying out loud.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

1. I would put Michaels over Herm.  If Shula doesn't pull the tarp off the field, he goes to the Super Bowl with Richard Freakin' Todd as his QB

2. I would put Mangini over Walton.  Walton had O'Brien who was better than Todd and peak Toon, Shuler, McNeil, Walker plus a good chunk of the Sack Exchange and never got beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs. Mangini had a broken down Chad and a broken down Favre and had the same winning percentage.

I definitely agree with number one,  The Jets were the better team at that point in the season.  Dolphins had the 2 seed in a strike shortened season so this is why the Jets had to go down there. They destroyed Cincy,  squeaked a glorious win over the Raiders on the back of Lance Mehl.

David Woodley Vs. Todd.  LOL they were both not great but Todd was better.  This is why Michaels was fired, the tarp not being on the field .  He was pissed, got hammered.  Saying stupid things on the flight home to the wrong people. 

Mangini knew Favre was hurt and did not pull him.  I did not care if they let Brad Smith run the wildcat every play or Kellen Clemens come in and throw 3 yard passes all game. You do not put an injured player out there just to throw interceptions.  You give yourself a chance to win and Favre was hurt enough down the stretch to sit him.   They lost to the Seahawks who were terrible that year 5 - 11.  Than they get beat by Chaddy cakes.  1 and 4 down the stretch after 2 big wins, one over the Brady less Pats and another over a 10 and 0 Titans team.

So Walton gets the nod.

3 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

I definitely agree with number one,  The Jets were the better team at that point in the season.  Dolphins had the 2 seed in a strike shortened season so this is why the Jets had to go down there. They destroyed Cincy,  squeaked a glorious win over the Raiders on the back of Lance Mehl.

David Woodley Vs. Todd.  LOL they were both not great but Todd was better.  This is why Michaels was fired, the tarp not being on the field .  He was pissed, got hammered.  Saying stupid things on the flight home to the wrong people. 

Mangini knew Favre was hurt and did not pull him.  I did not care if they let Brad Smith run the wildcat every play or Kellen Clemens come in and throw 3 yard passes all game. You do not put an injured player out there just to throw interceptions.  You give yourself a chance to win and Favre was hurt enough down the stretch to sit him.   They lost to the Seahawks who were terrible that year 5 - 11.  Than they get beat by Chaddy cakes.  1 and 4 down the stretch after 2 big wins, one over the Brady less Pats and another over a 10 and 0 Titans team.

So Walton gets the nod.

Fair enough. I'm not endorsing Mangini as much as I'm puking on Walton.  He had a lot of talent to work with on both sides of the ball and perpetually underachieved...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Fair enough. I'm not endorsing Mangini as much as I'm puking on Walton.  He had a lot of talent to work with on both sides of the ball and perpetually underachieved... 

Walton should have never been the coach.  It was Michaels team.  Walt made overtures to the ladies on the plane and was canned.  If Michaels was still the coach the Jets would have made a Super Bowl in that era.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

2. Eric Mangini: Like Parcells, was tasked with changing the culture in the building and set out to stock the roster with high-character talent, but was knifed by a desperate-to-sell-PSLs Woody Johnson before he could finish the job. Mangini was immature and, like Tom Coughlin, needed to develop a better rapport with his players, but he had a clear and successful blueprint for righting the ship. 

Deserves to be somewhere between Kotite and Holtz on this list and unemployed. At least he's unemployed. 

#2... you're just trying to bait me. 

9 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Walton should have never been the coach.  It was Michaels team.  Walt made overtures to the ladies on the plane and was canned.  If Michaels was still the coach the Jets would have made a Super Bowl in that era.

Really? So Gastineau (Sucks to heat about his health issues) doesn’t get penalized for that late hit if Michaels was coach?

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Actually lost a yard after the run. Vermin Edwards: Nice guy, sucky coach.