Rank the 18 coaches in NYJ history

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Deserves to be somewhere between Kotite and Holtz on this list and unemployed. At least he's unemployed. 

#2... you're just trying to bait me. 

You know who else is unemployed but didn’t martyr himself to disclose an entire era of Patriots treachery and is also actively begging for interviews? 

HINT: He has the exact same winning percentage as Jets coach as the allegedly awful Eric Mangini (who rebuilt the team on his watch).

Just to recap, the ranking of most useless incompetents in that 2004 playoff game vs the Steelers actually goes:

1. Pennington
2. Herm
3. Brien

As far as Herm goes though, it's amazing to think that not only did he undeservedly keep his job, but after a complete implosion the following season, the Jets still actually managed to trade him.  It's kind of difficult to figure out anything he ever actually contributed beyond the role of team cheerleader, but in the end still came nowhere close to the worst coach of the bunch.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I can’t speak for the olds, but these were the best coaches I saw:

1. Parcells: instantly changed the culture inside and outside the building and—somewhat like Gase—took advantage of a distracted ownership to usurp the organization. Was overly aggressive in free agency and put all the Jets’ chips into the middle of the table, but still built a roster that carried the execrable Al Groh and Herm Edwards to respectability.

2. Eric Mangini: Like Parcells, was tasked with changing the culture in the building and set out to stock the roster with high-character talent, but was knifed by a desperate-to-sell-PSLs Woody Johnson before he could finish the job. Mangini was immature and, like Tom Coughlin, needed to develop a better rapport with his players, but he had a clear and successful blueprint for righting the ship. 

3. Rex Ryan: Rex, like Herm, profited from being The Cool Uncle following the respective departures of evil stepdads Parcells and Mangini, and he rode Mangini’s roster to two AFC title games by turning Florham Park into a frat house, which was obviously going to be unsustainable. Rex was a treacherous, calculating, self-promoting, backstabbing toad who gets far too much credit among Jets fans simply because he was fat and entertaining. He wanted a thug team, and that team of thugs murdered his young quarterback and, as Mangini’s players fell away, Rex was exposed for the clown that he is. Pure garbage as a person and a leader, but a clever defensive mind. 

4. Herm: Herm was similar to Rex in that he was a caricature that most people felt comfortable with, but was ultimately overmatched as a head coach. 

5a and 5b: Bruce Coslet and Pete Carroll: similar guys in that they were nifty coordinators but neither were up to the task of coaching the Hess Jets. Coslet did some very clever, interesting things with the offense, even though he hated Ken O’Brien, while Carroll was just way too green when he was promoted. Carroll gets  points because he clearly learned his lessons and went on to, obviously, great success elsewhere. He was a very good guy, to boot. 

6. Kotite: He didn’t want to be here and the Jets roster didn’t want to play for him. A disastrous hire made by a sundowning owner who screwed up. 

7. Belichick: a cowardly, cretinous, immoral, unethical vermin who has gone on to shame the league with repeated cheating and malfeasance. Possibly the worst person to ever be employed by the Jets. 

EDIT: I forgot Bowles, but that sorta works.

No mention of Walt Michaels?  He's ahead of Rex and Mangini to me, IMO he was a better coach

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

After that there's a whole mess of sh*tty coaches in any sort of order. Dead last is Kotite.

I'll disagree here. As bad as Kotite was Lou Holtz was much worse. Anyone remember the NY Jets fight song Holtz thought would motivate professional athletes? Holtz QUIT (not fired) with two games left in the season.

Win the game, fight like men

We’re together win or lose

New York Jets go rolling along …

When behind don’t despair

Because we will win if you care...

And wherever we go

We’ll let the critic know

That the Jets are here to stay!

• Upvote 1

1- Weeb for SBIII

2- Rex -  2AFCC appearances

3-Herm 3 years in playoffs

4?-for all the Parcells fanboys: Most overrated Jets coach!

1997 - overcoached game 16 against Lions and blew playoff spot

1998 - makes AFCC game .  Terrible performance by Jets including 6 turnovers. how much blame does he get for that?

1999 - If he starts Lucas as soon as Testaverde goes down we at least make the playoffs

After that nobody worth writing about, although i always wished Pete Carroll got more than one season.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You know who else is unemployed but didn’t martyr himself to disclose an entire era of Patriots treachery and is also actively begging for interviews? 

HINT: He has the exact same winning percentage as Jets coach as the allegedly awful Eric Mangini (who rebuilt the team on his watch).

Minus 4 playoff wins. Rex has 33% of the playoff victories in the entire history of the franchise.

If you want to knock him for ruinning the teams near future than Parcells belongs much lower as he single handedly cost us Manning and Belichick, 2 guys that will go down top 5 at thier position all time.

Rex is a buffoon and I'm not a fan, but he's one of the top coaches in this teams pitiful history and certainly better than Mangina.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Green Truth said:

I will give it a shot.  Left the Titans coaches out.

1. Weeb - Only because he has the only trophy or this would have been Big Bill

2. Parcells

3 Rex

4 Herm

5 Walt Michaels

6 Walton

7 Mangini

8 Groh

9 Carroll

10 Coslet

11 Bowles

12 Winner

13 Holtz

14 Shipp

15 Holovak

16 Kotite

17 Belichick

18 Belichick

i think i'd put michaels above rex because he made the afc championship game with a team that he built.  rex largely inherited the mangini team.  i like the bellichicken at the last two.  people sometimes forget he was actually hc of the ny jets twice.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

1. Walt Michaels (did way more with less than everyone seems to think)

2. Weeb

3-14.  EE

15. Bowles

16. Groh 

17. Winner

18. Holtz

i don't think i'd put him above weeb or parcells but he took those 70's jets and built them into a team that made it to the afc championship game.  it's too bad he was launched and replaced with walton. 

Weeb  because won the big one, probably would have repeated in 69 if thecJets dont lose a squeaker vs eventual champs Chiefs in the playoffs and had a champion caliber team in 71 if Namath doesn’t go down in preseason.

Michaels - turned the franchise completely around from doormats to SB contender. Shula’s cheating robbed him of one SB and the Jets likely play in and maybe win a SB in the Mid 80’s in if he isn’t wrongly fired. Ran cricles around paranoid pick your nose Walton

Ryan- for two years of magic. Rest of career stunk because he didn’t know where the offense game plan room was. 

Edwards- 3 playoff seasons in 5 years. If Penny doesn’t hurt his shoulder vs Buffalo in 04, this team could been a perennial playoff team through the mid 90s. Conservative play caliing and bend and then break defense got him fired.

Parcells. Great coach who lifted this team from the ashes, but too many mistakes. Lost win and in game in 97 vs Lions by out coaching himself. Got 2 seed in 98 because of Testeverde helmet TD vs Seattle. Laid a complete egg vs Denver in 98 title game with 6 turnovers and 3 points from high powered offense. 10-0 halftime lead was a mirage. Than had no backup QB for championship caliber team in 99. Left in 2000 why? Did not deliver on his promise to bring title. Failure to leave in 2000 forced Belichick out and then left team in cap hell. Back coaching after claiming he was done. Oh- a horrible GM.

Mangini- 08 was a horrible stretch run. Favre  should never have been on the team and then not on the field last 5 games. Obviously used the Jets to get to Minny and selfishness of streak cost thecJets a playoff spot. Last 5 games were awful culminating with Pennington’s revenge win in Meadowlands vs a “ I couldn’t give a sh*t Favre.” He let that happen. 06 was unexpected. 07 was a Pennington injury.

Walton- had Sb caliber rosters but found away to underachieve. Missed playoffs in 83 with very good team(season filled with horrible blown lead losses), 84 (after strong start) 87, 88. Should have won division in 85, but lost 2-3 games should won nad crapped bed at home in wild card playoff vs Pats. Horrible collapse in 86 capped with horrible collapse in playoff vs Cleveland where he coached a gutless game.  Paranoid demotivating coach.

Groh- turned 7-2 start to 9-7 disaster. Loss to Lions at home in week 15/16 inexcusable. Loss to Baltimore in win and in game might be worst regular season loss ever. 500 yards of offense and 14-0 lead with team driving for another score .....Baltimore won game on interception and punt returns. 

Carroll. Never got the chance after fake spike game despite obvious potential 

Coslet. Four years of mediocrity including an 8-8 played season.

Rest are disasters with Kotite leading the pack as worst. Holtz was a joke. Winner was a loser. Bowles was clueles. Shipp  and Holovak were interims. Baugh and Turner were before my time.

• Upvote 2

Parcells is the best coach that has ever coached here but judging by results as NYJ HCs:

1. Weeb: though most of his career here was bad he led us to our only SB.

2. Rex: most playoff wins in franchise history

3. Parcells: brought us out of the dark ages.

4. Michaels: also brought is out of the dark ages

5. Herm: most playoff apps in franchise history

6. Walton: took talented team and destroyed them but did have 2 playoff apps

7. Mangini: 2 winning seasons in 3 years

8. Coslet: he did have a playoff app

9. Groh: we did have a winning record his year

10: Baugh : he was .500 in 2 seasons with Titans.

11. Carroll: 6-5 almost in 1st turned into 6-10 and being fired.

12. Winner: 9-14 in less than 2 seasons

13.Turner: 5-9 in lone season.

14. Bowles: a disaster basically from start to finish, first Jets HC to have back to back losing seasons since kotite, only 2nd HC in franchise history with 3 consecutive losing seasons.

15.Kotite: 4 wins in 2 years, could have flip flopped with Bowles because at least Rich brought in talent.

16. Holtz: quit before end of first season

I didn't count the interim HCs

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, CTM said:

Minus 4 playoff wins. Rex has 33% of the playoff victories in the entire history of the franchise.

If you want to knock him for ruinning the teams near future than Parcells belongs much lower as he single handedly cost us Manning and Belichick, 2 guys that will go down top 5 at thier position all time.

Rex is a buffoon and I'm not a fan, but he's one of the top coaches in this teams pitiful history and certainly better than Mangina.

More importantly Parcells likely cost us Brady, the man who turned BB into a great HC and NE into a dynasty

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Rex Ryan: Rex, like Herm, profited from being The Cool Uncle following the respective departures of evil stepdads Parcells and Mangini, and he rode Mangini’s roster to two AFC title games by turning Florham Park into a frat house, which was obviously going to be unsustainable. Rex was a treacherous, calculating, self-promoting, backstabbing toad who gets far too much credit among Jets fans simply because he was fat and entertaining. He wanted a thug team, and that team of thugs murdered his young quarterback and, as Mangini’s players fell away, Rex was exposed for the clown that he is. Pure garbage as a person and a leader, but a clever defensive mind. 

Amazingly sad that, despite everything but the last 5 words of this paragraph, this guy is # 3 on the list.  Pathetic. 

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

2. Eric Mangini: Like Parcells, was tasked with changing the culture in the building and set out to stock the roster with high-character talent, but was knifed by a desperate-to-sell-PSLs Woody Johnson before he could finish the job. Mangini was immature and, like Tom Coughlin, needed to develop a better rapport with his players, but he had a clear and successful blueprint for righting the ship. 

3. Rex Ryan: Rex, like Herm, profited from being The Cool Uncle following the respective departures of evil stepdads Parcells and Mangini, and he rode Mangini’s roster to two AFC title games by turning Florham Park into a frat house, which was obviously going to be unsustainable. Rex was a treacherous, calculating, self-promoting, backstabbing toad who gets far too much credit among Jets fans simply because he was fat and entertaining. He wanted a thug team, and that team of thugs murdered his young quarterback and, as Mangini’s players fell away, Rex was exposed for the clown that he is. Pure garbage as a person and a leader, but a clever defensive mind. 

Mangini was tasked with changing a culture that made the playoffs 3 of the previous 5 seasons and were only bad in 2005 because of a million injuries?

Rex took a team mangini couldn't win with w/ a Hall of Fame QB and made back to back title games with Mark Sanchez.

What did Parcells have to do with Rex? Parcells was gone for 8 seasons before Rex became HC.  Parcells was a great coach but terrible GM type that prevented us from getting a combo of either BB/Peyton or BB/Brady.

Rex when he left the Jets coached 2 years and was 15-16, mangini had 2 years after the Jets and was 10-22.  Rex was far and away the better HC, he was also a better DC.  There's nothing mangini did better than Rex.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

i think i'd put michaels above rex because he made the afc championship game with a team that he built.  rex largely inherited the mangini team.  i like the bellichicken at the last two.  people sometimes forget he was actually hc of the ny jets twice.

Largely myth. By the same standard, Mangini had his best season with the team he inherited from Herm. The team that Mangini built was 4-12 two years before Rex took over. They went 9-7 the following year only because of Brett Favre, who Rex did not inherit. The last draft that people insist on crediting to Mangini added next to nothing of value. Rex brought them to back-to-back AFCCGs with Mark Sanchez at QB. 

That said, I'd also put Michaels ahead of Rex, but it's close. Mangini was terrible. Before Favre, maybe the two most boring seasons of football this team ever put together. Boring's okay when you're winning, but he should've been fired after his second season, not given the opportunity to name his kid after Brett Favre (who people also like to pretend was foisted on him). 

• Upvote 1

I don't care that his record was better, but Lou Holtz quit on his team after week 13.  That puts him below Kotite on my list.  Both guys sucked.  But only one of them was a quitter.  

He did introduce the jets fight song though. Does that count for nothing these days???

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

MNF intro for Jets v Pats in 1976.  Go to about the 4:25 mark.  Alex Karras singing the Jets fight song.

Alex Karras:  "Otis Sistrunk------from the University of Mars."  Still one of my favorite viewing moments.

3 hours ago, slats said:

Largely myth. By the same standard, Mangini had his best season with the team he inherited from Herm. The team that Mangini built was 4-12 two years before Rex took over. They went 9-7 the following year only because of Brett Favre, who Rex did not inherit. The last draft that people insist on crediting to Mangini added next to nothing of value. Rex brought them to back-to-back AFCCGs with Mark Sanchez at QB. 

That said, I'd also put Michaels ahead of Rex, but it's close. Mangini was terrible. Before Favre, maybe the two most boring seasons of football this team ever put together. Boring's okay when you're winning, but he should've been fired after his second season, not given the opportunity to name his kid after Brett Favre (who people also like to pretend was foisted on him). 

it may largely be myth in that the head coach is the most responsible for setting the tone of the team but with the exception of sanchez and edwards the bulk of rex's first team was mangini's.  it's been quite some time that the oline was ever better.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

1st is undoubtedly Weeb Ewbank. Anybody who wins the SB takes a higher seat than the rest. Close 2nd is Parcells. Followed by Rex Ryan.

After that there's a whole mess of sh*tty coaches in any sort of order. Dead last is Kotite.

I agree with Weeb and Parcells, but Rex is wayyyyyy further down the list. Walt Michaels would be 3 followed by the rest who were all too bad to even rank in any rational order. Coslet sucked, Walton sucked, Pete Carroll got screwed but he was a late learner, Herm Edwards was pretty good I would put him at 4 and Groh quit on the team so he sucks a$$. Rex was pretty bad when the team was made over from Mangini who I would put at 5 so Ryan is no better than 6 or 7. Charley Winner suffered from nepotism charges and slingin Sammy Baugh was a .500 coach at best. Of Course who can forget Chrome Domus Maximus Rich Kotite, possibly the worst HC in league history. Lou Holtz also quit so he is just above Kotite but behind Groh.  Bowles also sucked real bad. Right now I would put Adam Gase number one with a bullet until he proves otherwise.

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Parcells is the best coach that has ever coached here but judging by results as NYJ HCs:

1. Weeb: though most of his career here was bad he led us to our only SB.

2. Rex: most playoff wins in franchise history

3. Parcells: brought us out of the dark ages.

4. Michaels: also brought is out of the dark ages

5. Herm: most playoff apps in franchise history

6. Walton: took talented team and destroyed them but did have 2 playoff apps

7. Mangini: 2 winning seasons in 3 years

8. Coslet: he did have a playoff app

9. Groh: we did have a winning record his year

10: Baugh : he was .500 in 2 seasons with Titans.

11. Carroll: 6-5 almost in 1st turned into 6-10 and being fired.

12. Winner: 9-14 in less than 2 seasons

13.Turner: 5-9 in lone season.

14. Bowles: a disaster basically from start to finish, first Jets HC to have back to back losing seasons since kotite, only 2nd HC in franchise history with 3 consecutive losing seasons.

15.Kotite: 4 wins in 2 years, could have flip flopped with Bowles because at least Rich brought in talent.

16. Holtz: quit before end of first season

I didn't count the interim HCs

I forgot about ol Bulldog Turner. I think your list is right on target except that NO ONE was worse than Kotite. He should be 17th out of 16.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Michaels - turned the franchise completely around from doormats to SB contender. Shula’s cheating robbed him of one SB and the Jets likely play in and maybe win a SB in the Mid 80’s in if he isn’t wrongly fired. Ran cricles around paranoid pick your nose Walton

I'm glad someone else saw him do that. My brother nicknamed him Pick, Lick and Flick.

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Mangini was tasked with changing a culture that made the playoffs 3 of the previous 5 seasons and were only bad in 2005 because of a million injuries?

Mangini walked into a team that was $25 million over the cap and lost Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, and Jason Fabini in the offseason due to the cap wizardry of the CPA mastermind Mike Tannenbaum, so let's review the treasure trove Mangini inherited, SHALL WE

QB: A ****ed up Chad

RB: Cedric Houston and BJ Askew

WR: Lavernues Coles and a young Jerricho Cotchery, (who had 25 receptions, total, in the two years prior to Mangini's arrival.)

TE: Chris Baker

OLT: Adrian Jones

OLG: Pete Kendall

OC: Nothing

RG: Brandon Moore

K: Mike Nugent

DE: Shaun Ellis (who Herm tried turning into a DT and was coming off a 2.5 sack season)

DE: Bryan Thomas

DT: Dewayne Robertsonlol

ILB: Jonathan Vilma

ILB: Someone named Mark Brown

OLB: Victor Hobson

OLB: John Abraham, who was traded and is an all-time dog

CB: Justin Miller

CB: David Barrett

FS: Kerry Rhodes

SS: Erik Coleman

But, yes, he walked into an absolute goldmine of talent and resources at his disposal, ready made for success.  

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mangini walked into a team that was $25 million over the cap and lost Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, and Jason Fabini in the offseason due to the cap wizardry of the CPA mastermind Mike Tannenbaum, so let's review the treasure trove Mangini inherited, SHALL WE

QB: A ****ed up Chad

RB: Cedric Houston and BJ Askew

WR: Lavernues Coles and a young Jerricho Cotchery, (who had 25 receptions, total, in the two years prior to Mangini's arrival.)

TE: Chris Baker

OLT: Adrian Jones

OLG: Pete Kendall

OC: Nothing

RG: Brandon Moore

K: Mike Nugent

DE: Shaun Ellis (who Herm tried turning into a DT and was coming off a 2.5 sack season)

DE: Bryan Thomas

DT: Dewayne Robertsonlol

ILB: Jonathan Vilma

ILB: Someone named Mark Brown

OLB: Victor Hobson

OLB: John Abraham, who was traded and is an all-time dog

CB: Justin Miller

CB: David Barrett

FS: Kerry Rhodes

SS: Erik Coleman

But, yes, he walked into an absolute goldmine of talent and resources at his disposal, ready made for success.  

You said he had to change the culture, the franchise had a winning culture at the time and talent wise they were expected to be contenders in the AFC before they had to play most of the year with 3rd/4th/5th string QBs among other injuries.