Eagles players we might target in 2020

I'm sure the first few responses in this thread will be something to the effect of "way too early to discuss this".  But its June and not much is going on, so why not?  Let's list off some Eagles players that may come available next offseason that Joe Douglas could be interested in for the Jets.

Here's the list of Eagles players set to hit free agency after the 2019 season, along with their age when they hit FA and 2018 PFF grades:

• LT Jason Peters (38, 69.5)
  • WR Nelson Agholor (27, 64.7)
  • G Isaac Seumalo (26, 62.1)
  • DE Vinny Curry (31, 58.4)
  • G Stefen Wisniewski (31, 55.5)

And here are some other players who could be cap casualties after the 2019 season (Eagles only have $5M projected cap space entering 2020):

• S Malcolm Jenkins (32, 79.6)
  • WR Alshon Jeffery (30, 79.0)
  • G Brandon Brooks (30, 72.2)

Are any of the above players that you'd be interested in if you were in Douglas' shoes?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ashlon Jeffery makes the most sense from a connection standpoint. He loves Adam Gase, Joe Douglas is familiar with him and we need a “X” WR. 

If he’s a healthy and productive 30 year old player then I’d take him.

Agreed.  I'd be interested in Seumalo as well.  We need to rebuild our entire offensive line by 2021 given that Beachum, Osemele, and possibly Winters will all be gone by then, and we might still be looking for a long-term answer at C.  Adding a young, decent FA guard into the mix couldn't hurt. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agreed.  I'd be interested in Seumalo as well.  We need to rebuild our entire offensive line by 2021 given that Beachum, Osemele, and possibly Winters will all be gone by then, and we might still be looking for a long-term answer at C.  Adding a young, decent FA guard into the mix couldn't hurt. 

How Douglas tackles this monumental task will be the most interesting thing to watch.  I had hoped a few months ago that they could've flipped Leonard Williams to a good team for a late 2020 first rounder, and invested both first rounders in the OL.  I think it's going to take some sort of creativity like that.  Luckily, OL are not like QBs in that, many of them come out-of-the-box ready to be strong contributors in the NFL.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not familiar with Seuamlo. Works for me if he’s a decent young OL player though. I think Douglas attacks the OL positions HARD in the next draft too though. LT and RT has to be on his mind, too.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not familiar with Seuamlo. Works for me if he’s a decent young OL player though. I think Douglas attacks the OL positions HARD in the next draft too though. LT and RT has to be on his mind, too.

He was a 3rd round pick out of Oregon State in 2016 (Douglas' first season working with the Eagles).  Last year he got 9 starts, at LG (the prior 2 seasons he got 6 starts total), and he played well.  He's projected to be the full-time starter at LG this year. 

8 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

How Douglas tackles this monumental task will be the most interesting thing to watch.  I had hoped a few months ago that they could've flipped Leonard Williams to a good team for a late 2020 first rounder, and invested both first rounders in the OL.  I think it's going to take some sort of creativity like that.  Luckily, OL are not like QBs in that, many of them come out-of-the-box ready to be strong contributors in the NFL. 

That's gotten a bit complicated the last few years because of all the Spread/RPO offenses in the college game.  OL from those programs tend to come into the league very raw and need at least a year on the bench to get used to the pro style. 

A lot of the middle round picks spent on OL the last few years across the league have been on "pipeline" guys who the scouts think can project to the next level but need time to develop. 

• Upvote 2

Ashlon Jeffery makes the most sense from a connection standpoint. He loves Adam Gase, Joe Douglas is familiar with him and we need a “X” WR. 
If he’s a healthy and productive 30 year old player then I’d take him.
He has essentially had the same statline as Robby Anderson. Jeffery is passed his prime.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

No need to wait until 2020 when looking for talent.  I would expect Douglas (PHI), Hogan (IND) and Alexander (BAL)
to try to raid the back end of the rosters of the teams they're coming from

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

He has essentially had the same statline as Robby Anderson. Jeffery is passed his prime.

I actually think that makes it more likely that we go after him.  If he is in his prime he is getting a huge deal and these guys probably pass.  If he is on the downside, he can be a usable piece at a reasonable price.

You say his statline was similar to Robby Anderson as if it is an insult.  It's not. Their TD per target were fairly high and quite similar, but Anderson's target air yards (16+) were way higher.  The only guys higher were Desean Jackson and Foster in Buffalo. Jeffery was way down list at around 10 yards per. He is more of a red-zone target and could be a very useful complimentary piece.  Like Plaxico Burris was here - as long as he has a better attitude. 

I actually think that makes it more likely that we go after him.  If he is in his prime he is getting a huge deal and these guys probably pass.  If he is on the downside, he can be a usable piece at a reasonable price.
You say his statline was similar to Robby Anderson as if it is an insult.  It's not. Their TD per target were fairly high and quite similar, but Anderson's target air yards (16+) were way higher.  The only guys higher were Desean Jackson and Foster in Buffalo. Jeffery was way down list at around 10 yards per. He is more of a red-zone target and could be a very useful complimentary piece.  Like Plaxico Burris was here - as long as he has a better attitude. 
Was not meant to be an insult so much as to say we already have a guy who is as productive and young. When your qb is young you want more young guys who can grow with him when he is older and experienced you look for veterans because you don't worry as much about thing like building chemistry

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Was not meant to be an insult so much as to say we already have a guy who is as productive and young. When your qb is young you want more young guys who can grow with him when he is older and experienced you look for veterans because you don't worry as much about thing like building chemistry

Yeah but Darnold growing with young pieces shouldn’t impede on getting a valuable veteran redzone target. We need a guy who can play “X” because Robby, Q and Crowder are most certainly not X wide receivers. Jeffery would most likely be a cheap and value worthy signing.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Nice list.  I wasn't sure which guys Douglas might look to get THIS offseason for the bottom of the roster.

The 2 corners and 2 EDGE guys appeal to me most. 

Donnell Pumphrey makes the most sense as a guy we look to target, given how highly Douglas thought of him and given our uncertainty at the no. 3 and 4 RB slots on the depth chart (Montgomery is more of a WR and Powell may be done). 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah but Darnold growing with young pieces shouldn’t impede on getting a valuable veteran redzone target. We need a guy who can play “X” because Robby, Q and Crowder are most certainly not X wide receivers. Jeffery would most likely be a cheap and value worthy signing.

All for it if he actually gets cut

5 hours ago, KRL said:

No need to wait until 2020 when looking for talent.  I would expect Douglas (PHI), Hogan (IND) and Alexander (BAL)
to try to raid the back end of the rosters of the teams they're coming from

After we win the Super Bowl this year, players will be flocking to us and our top management team.  

Yes joking... but I like almost every move so far starting with the shlt can of MAC.  

I see a bright future.

Nice list.  I wasn't sure which guys Douglas might look to get THIS offseason for the bottom of the roster.
The 2 corners and 2 EDGE guys appeal to me most. 
Donnell Pumphrey makes the most sense as a guy we look to target, given how highly Douglas thought of him and given our uncertainty at the no. 3 and 4 RB slots on the depth chart (Montgomery is more of a WR and Powell may be done). 

It’s going to be interesting to see how the RB group plays out. I agree that Montgomery may not settle in as a traditional RB but he will take a roster spot from that group as opposed to the WR IMO. I wonder if they would consider the opposite should the RBs show more value to the team than the WRs as a unit.

I like Burnett, Dortch and peake to make the team even if the last two are for ST’s primarily.

I wouldn’t think we go RB at this point. It may be emotional on my end but I think Powell pulls through and plays a nice role for us.

This list is tough because there will be so many other options including the draft but I could seriously see Jeffrey and of the edge guys being brought In. Maybe semolina as well.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

It’s going to be interesting to see how the RB group plays out. I agree that Montgomery may not settle in as a traditional RB but he will take a roster spot from that group as opposed to the WR IMO. I wonder if they would consider the opposite should the RBs show more value to the team than the WRs as a unit.

I like Burnett, Dortch and peake to make the team even if the last two are for ST’s primarily. 

I wouldn’t think we go RB at this point. It may be emotional on my end but I think Powell pulls through and plays a nice role for us.

This list is tough because there will be so many other options including the draft but I could seriously see Jeffrey and of the edge guys being brought In. Maybe semolina as well. 

No doubt in my mind Montgomery gets listed on the depth chart as a RB, assuming he makes the team.  WR is plenty deep.  But we need at least one guy on the depth chart we feel comfortable deploying as a "traditional" backup RB.  And McGuire and Cannon just aren't those guys. 

I'd be very happy if Powell is truly healthy enough to play, because he would be ideal for this role.  But for his sake, I hope he steps away from the game.

• Sympathy 1

No doubt in my mind Montgomery gets listed on the depth chart as a RB, assuming he makes the team.  WR is plenty deep.  But we need at least one guy on the depth chart we feel comfortable deploying as a "traditional" backup RB.  And McGuire and Cannon just aren't those guys. 
I'd be very happy if Powell is truly healthy enough to play, because he would be ideal for this role.  But for his sake, I hope he steps away from the game.

Yeah. I would hate to see such a great guy get really hurt and have it be a life altering struggle to deal with. That said, if he’s healthy I want him on the Jets. Assuming he hasn’t completely lost the goods of course.

I generally like both Mcguire and Cannon a bit more than most here but I have no allegiances to either at this point. It seems like cannon is making a lot of progress on ST’s and it would be great to have a young guy like him have a serious impact as a KR and gunner. Then he can carry the ball in a pinch too. He’d be incredibly valuable if he holds up with his ST progress.

Mcguire is fine and o do think that the OL was just horrendous last year, but he’s in the dime a dozen category to me. Good guy to have. Easy to replace.

Montgomery could really be a nice surprise this year. Running some 21 or 22 personnel packages with both Bell and Montgomery on the field at the same time. Oh momma!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2