What is Wrong with NY Sports Fans?

Rough crowd: Giants' rookie Daniel Jones booed at Yankees game

It’s not news that fan bases can be tough on athletes that play for their favorite teams.

But booing a player who has yet to take a snap? That seems a bit much.

Via multiple reporters who were at Monday night’s New York Yankees game, Daniel Jones, the New York Giants’ rookie quarterback, was booed by the crowd.

Now it could have been the New York Jets fans on hand who were booing Jones. That’s certainly possible.

Or Giants fans who aren’t upset at Jones, but at the franchise’s direction under general manager Dave Gettleman and head coach Pat Shurmur (Shurmur was booed at Yankees Stadium last month, on his birthday no less).

Give the kid a chance

But it’s not Jones’ fault that Giants fans are upset with the team’s performance in recent seasons. He hasn’t really done anything of substance yet since he was drafted.

In fact, as Giants reporter Ryan Dunleavy of NJ.com wrote, Jones showed “better-than-expected arm strength” during New York’s spring camps, and picked up the playbook well, which was expected for the Duke-educated quarterback.

Eli Manning is a Giants legend; the history books will always show that he helped guide the franchise to two Super Bowl titles. But Manning can’t play forever, and team brass believe that Jones can be Manning’s successor.

Do New York fans want to be like the Miami Dolphins, who have been looking for their franchise quarterback for decades since Dan Marino’s retirement and have the record to match that struggle?

It’s understandable if there’s frustration with the Mara family and/or Gettleman. But reserve the boos for them; give the kid a chance to show himself.

Stay classy NY. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

90% of those Yankees fans both didnt know where they were and/or who Daniel Jones is while they were booing him.   They did it because everyone else did it.  It's the same reason they're a "Yankees fan" and it's the same reason they moved to NYC. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

+Rep farming again, are we? 

Describing John McCown's career accurately is not remotely the same as 40,000 NY'ers booing a 21 year old kid who just showed up in town and had no control over who and where he was picked. ?‍♂️

It's interesting the perspective you get on NY once you've left it behind, and especially when you travel the world more broadly.  

I could not agree more. I was an easy spot for anyone anywhere when I was a NY/NJ native. I usually had some sort of Ny item on my person and was proudly a decibel louder than most. Outside of Boston that is. Those friggin people. lol

When I left and drove across the country for a month to live in LA I realized how most of the country views the NYC bubble. Let’s just say it’s not the same wayNew Yorkers view it. Getting out of there enables you to see it from a different perspective. I’ve lived all over this great country and have seen NY through many different lenses.
It’s got a lot to admire but it’s not the center of the universe as it degrades into a soot covered swamp.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

ummm...I tend to disagree with this comment! 

I think what he means is, if you're a Giants fan, you're very likely to be a Yankees fan.  I've very rarely (if ever, now that I think about it) met someone who is a Giants and Mets fan. 

Lot's of Jets fans are Yankees fans, of course.  But because of the Yankee Stadium connection for the Giants, Giants fans are very heavily Yankees people.

So you would expect most Yankees fans to either be neutral OR lean positive regarding Daniel Jones.

47 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

too many natives still think NYC is the center of the universe - maybe for a minute ~50 years ago but now closer to third world for those who travel and/or have lived elsewhere

So a guy from Columbus, Ohio, thinks NYC is close to, "third world?" 

Neat. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Do you have a complete list of proper fan behavior that we can refer to? Seems like it would save us all a lot of time

tfw youre so invested in your doofy contrarian bit that you have to defend booing a 20 year old who is only guilty of being overdrafted

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Yankees are forever grateful - that's the most noise they've had at a baseball game in NY since '96.

I’m a huge Mets fan, I was at every 96 playoff, and WS game that was the most electric atmosphere I’ve ever been around (I assume the Rangers winning the cup in 94 was better, but I was not there) genuine Yankee loving fans seeing for a lot of upper teens to mid 20’s lived through the dark ages, after that it was all different with the fans.