What is Wrong with NY Sports Fans?

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

This comparison is FUN!

As far as NY, I would take Chicago in a heartbeat as for a city.  I dislike Vancouver and Toronto almost equally, and would take the mountain views of Banff or the coastal waters of the Nova Scotian shores any day. 

Perhaps what many love NY for are the things that I dislike, just like the things I like about Chicago are what someone from NY would avoid.  Interesting to say the least.

The one thing we all agree on; no matter where you are born in the U.S. or Canada, the vast majority of people have a hometown pizza place that you would take over any other for your final meal.  With that said, I might have to drive to mine and get some!

We don’t have good Italian food in California, everything else, yes.

I eat my pizza with Italian sausage, jalapeños, onions and pineapple....bet that makes most of you cringe. 

• WTF? 1

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

NYC is becoming a liberal shlthole where people shot on the sidewalks.   It is my hometown but it has changed.  Grew up in Yorkville upper east side.  

Sure it has.

Its like the old west with people dying daily

17 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

You have to know where in Rome to eat.  But any spot in Rome is better than NYC and I love NYC food. The tiniest pizzeria on some side street is better pizza than NY.  And again, I love NY pizza.

The food in Tuscany is different than Rome but off the charts great.

My favorite city in Europe, Rome is my second favorite.  

Tuscany is not a city. But I get your point.

11 hours ago, sourceworx said:

You want to try life altering food? Go to Munich. I went there for Oktoberfest about 11 years ago. The food was spectacular.

And don't even get me started on the beer. Amazing. You're a foodie. I'm a beer freak. And not one of these pretentious hipster bags of sh!t who drinks craft IPAs with chamomile and hamster dingleberries in them. I'm talking real beer. Old school stuff brewed by monks. Artisanal stuff.

Yeah, see I think I would disagree with you.  I found the food in Munich quite blah, while Florence was some of the best on my swing through Europe.  I will say I had some great beers in Germany, as well as England and Belgium.  Not so much in Italy and France. 

10 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

We don’t have good Italian food in California, everything else, yes.

I eat my pizza with Italian sausage, jalapeños, onions and pineapple....bet that makes most of you cringe. 

I'm a big fan of In and Out Burgers, and not just because of the name.

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I'm a big fan of In and Out Burgers, and not just because of the name.

Nasty boy.  ?

In-N-Out is more than a hamburger joint, it’s SoCal through and through.  Treat their employees well, managers make highest salary in the industry, they award scholarships, offer flexibility to their employees to attend college.  Just a class organization run by the same family that founded the company.

Everything is fresh, no freezers.

34 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, see I think I would disagree with you.  I found the food in Munich quite blah, while Florence was some of the best on my swing through Europe.  I will say I had some great beers in Germany, as well as England and Belgium.  Not so much in Italy and France. 

We went to this one spot that had this roasted pork knuckle (shank), with some sauce served with it. It was incredible. The perfect kind of fatty food to eat before going to the beer tents to drink. Ironically we even found decent pizza in Munich. Not quite NY quality, but way better than the crap that passes for pizza down south or out west in America. We were lucky in that my brother in-law had a German friend who came from Frankfurt to hang out with us. He knew all of the good places to eat.

My trip to Italy was unfortunately cut short due to a death in the family that happened suddenly. We were supposed to go to Florence, but never made it there. I also didn't get the chance to see the town where my father came from. I definitely need to go back sometime when my kids grow up.

And yes, Italian beer is garbage. The French have one decent beer style known as Biere-de-Garde, which is similar to a Belgian Saison. Definitely worth a try.

Huh....I could have SWORE it said Giorgano's PIZZA, and Pequod's PIZZA. 
Now, it isn't NY style pizza, but its still pizza.  Kinda like NY style pizza isn't the real thing like Italian pizza. 

Yeah. It’s obviously more of a personal preference and I believe that childhood association has a lot to do with it. Where ya grew up and what you remember are big.

My two brother in laws are from Brooklyn and they felt it was very important that I go to totonno’s in Brooklyn to get “the best pizza I. The world”. It’s a small place that makes one pie or so at a time. You wait a long time and you gotta eat it fresh from the oven. It’s well done with the crust slightly charred and crispy. Just fantastic but my son didn’t like it. He prefers this place in FT Lauderdale called big Louie’s. That’s where he grew up and that’s the best to him.

That said, there are obviously going to be places or types that are just literally better. You can prefer kraft macaroni and cheese over some three cheese baked macaroni from a 3 star restaurant, but no one would argue the Kraft stuff is actually better even if that your preference.

So when we start talking about a place like Jet’s in Detroit vs some other mom and pop in NY or just NY pizza in general, it’s hard to make the case for Jet’s because it is literally almost the same as Pizza Hut. The crusts are almost identical. The extra greasy crunchy bottom with the thick Doughy center and the sweet sauce. It’s almost the same stuff. I don’t think anyone would really make the case that Pizza Hut is better than NY pizza. I get it and my buddy from Detroit wouldn’t be swayed to entertain that Jet’s wasn’t the best. I get it.

The Chicago deep dish is something I aspire to get whenever I get up there. It looks incredible. I’ve had uno from the chain but that can’t be as good as you would get In Chicago. The problem people have with it is that it’s more like a casserole than a slice of pizza. I can see that too. :)

When I lived in LA it was all about California Pizza Kitchen. CPK as it’s known. That’s great too!
The truth is I like most of it but NY/NJ Pizza is far and away the best IMO. But it just so happens i grew up there.
my son disagrees wit me. lol

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

47 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I figured as much. And I agree that the food throughout Tuscany is great. I remember having grilled porcini's in Sienna at a fancy restaurant during the harvest. Memorable.

Best meal my GF ever had was in Sienna. 

What a cool little city.