WowOhWow

Douglas (and Gase) a draw?

I agree although I did think Gase would be a good hire.  I can see the change.

I think the only one that doesn't see the change are the CHEATo's fans.  Every once in a while I check out one of their forums to hear how their trashing us and couldn't believe the sh*t I saw.  People can say whatever they want about fans from NY or PA (except for the Philly fans).  Those New England fans are a bunch of douche nozzles.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Gase was a coniving clown the players hated.

But that happened over the course of 3 years.

I am not saying that will happen here, but we are in the honeymoon stage. 

Basically what I was going to say.

imo you have to consider the source when hearing about gase.  the guy behind the conniving gase was maneesh.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

I am admitting that I changed my opinion a full 180-degrees since Macc's firing.  Only a month ago:

• I was convinced Gase was a conniving clown that players hate;
  • The Jets coaching staff made up of a bunch of misaligned blowhards ready to knife each other;
  • Chris Johnson the most bumbling of bumbling owners - literally an embarrassment.

Since then:

• Gase has shown to be all about winning, someone the players enjoy, and someone I have confidence in (can't believe I'm saying this);
  • We got Joe Douglas, someone widely respected in league circles and someone that I trust at least recognizes how to put a roster together (OL, CB, etc).
  • The Jets coaching staff showing to have depth, experience on both sides of the ball.  Cooter, Pollock, Williams, Vitt, Boyer, Gase.
  • The Jets may have shown the rest of the league (whether intentional or by accident) a new and better way to hire a GM (this time of year).

All that said, I believe the Jets may actually finally be a destination type team for FA's.  We have a young offensive minded coach, a GM that seems to get it, stability and some interesting pieces.

I can't believe how much faith I have in our GM and HC.  What a change from a month ago...

100 percent agree.  I wanted Rhule and when they hired Gase I stated that it would be a terrible move.  Plus Gase press conference did not help him.  But once they fired Macc I had a little hope.  Now we have what appears to be a premier FO.  Plus watching the Video's of Gase is that he is connecting well with his players.  Hopefully some of the mess in Miami he has learned from.  One thing he has learned from Miami is you cant higher a terrible staff.  Here he has a really good staff and all he wants to do is win.  Im on board. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/18/2019 at 5:24 PM, Embrace the Suck said:

Or maybe that was sensationalized overblown fake news which sold papers down in Miami. As I understand it he does clash with 'me first' players, but I'm fine with getting rid of those players.

after you tell your boss he is an idiot it is a good bet bad press will follow

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2019 at 2:14 PM, slats said:

I am also enjoying glass-half-full season. 

Gase wasn't my first choice but, as I've said many times, if you told me the Jets were getting a young, well-regarded offensive mind with previous NFL head coaching experience, without the name I would've been on board. I've got that with Gase, so I'm willing to ride it. 

When you get an experienced head coach with a mixed record, your hope is that he learned something at his previous stop. Gase's previous stop was a dysfunctional nightmare. With the Jets, he stepped into another dysfunctional nightmare and straightened it up, better than anyone could've hoped, in less than half a year. Looks like he figured out what he needs to succeed. 

Gase's detractors want to tell you that he's some sort of lunatic, Joe Douglas comes in and talks about his infectious personality and hatred of losing. I'm on board. 

I’ll still watch and root for the Jets so this is cool or about right. But whatever 

On 6/18/2019 at 10:15 AM, WowOhWow said:

I am admitting that I changed my opinion a full 180-degrees since Macc's firing.  Only a month ago:

• The Jets coaching staff made up of a bunch of misaligned blowhards ready to knife each other;
  • Chris Johnson the most bumbling of bumbling owners - literally an embarrassment.

Since then:

• Gase has shown to be all about winning, someone the players enjoy, and someone I have confidence in (can't believe I'm saying this);
  • We got Joe Douglas, someone widely respected in league circles and someone that I trust at least recognizes how to put a roster together (OL, CB, etc).
  • The Jets coaching staff showing to have depth, experience on both sides of the ball.  Cooter, Pollock, Williams, Vitt, Boyer, Gase.
  • The Jets may have shown the rest of the league (whether intentional or by accident) a new and better way to hire a GM (this time of year).

All that said, I believe the Jets may actually finally be a destination type team for FA's.  We have a young offensive minded coach, a GM that seems to get it, stability and some interesting pieces.

I can't believe how much faith I have in our GM and HC.  What a change from a month ago...

Glad to see a post like this.  We're all fans of the same team here and want nothing more than for them to win.  Many of us have been beaten by this franchise into thinking that any move is a bad move, especially the unconventional ones (ex. hiring a coach fired by your division rival, firing a GM in May, etc.).  This is because the history of the team hasn't been good in this regard.  So initial reactions are skeptical at first and in some cases downright critical of moves for which there is no basis or evidence yet (ex. Gase is 0-0 as Jets HC).

I often give this team the benefit of the doubt a little too much but I've been very high on what they're doing so far.  This is because I see Christopher Johnson as very, very different than Woody.  His approach is measured, he's educating himself, he admits when he doesn't know something, he seems to seek consensus but doesn't require it in order to make a bold move.  IMO (and based on no results yet) I think this could be one of the best offseasons the Jets have EVER had.  Gase is a bit of an odd bird but he's laser-focused on football and winning.  I think he's the Alpha this team has needed.  Douglas fought for his staff before he was even hired....I can only imagine the type of negotiator he'll be for the Jets in regard to player moves, contracts and trades.

We don't have any forced marriages here.  Gregg Williams is here because he likes the talent and future direction of the Jets....he knew exactly who he'd be working for and with.  Vitt is here by choice despite any noise on his history with Williams.  Douglas is here by choice when everyone knows he might have his pick of 6 or 7 other teams if waited just 6 more months for Black Monday.

As you pointed out in your last bullet above, the Jets may have shown they're quite astute as to the timing of the GM move.  Douglas said so himself during the introductory presser.  He now gets to evaluate the team and players, make modest tweaks and moves here and there, but he's largely self-scouting with the goal of finding out what heavy lifting he needs to do come the next FA and Draft period.  I think he'll be more knowledgeable about the Jets true condition and needs come next January because he was hired in May.  He'll be better prepared come next FA and Draft because his staff will already be in place and will have worked together during the entire upcoming college football season.  The more I think about it I wonder how a new GM hire even gets ready when taking a job in January....he has to assemble a team, rely on the work they've done the past 6 months to 2 years while he wasn't managing them, prepare for both FA and the college draft, etc.  That's a lot to do in just 2 to 3 months.

For once, the Jets seem like they get it.

• Upvote 2

On 6/18/2019 at 2:24 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Gase was a coniving clown the players hated.

But that happened over the course of 3 years.

I am not saying that will happen here, but we are in the honeymoon stage. 

the end of the Adam Gase era in Miami  I'm not sure if he was trying purposefully to shoot his way out of town or just had a complete breakdown as a human being. But either outcome isn't a great excuse. honestly how does an offensive genius have a 31st ranked offense behind even Jeremy Gates? Every team has injuries, including the Jets who started the corpse of Josh McCown at times last season.  and Gase's offense was worse? HOW? 

let's be real Adam Gase might not survive this season. Joe Douglas didn't pick him and Gregg Williams loves to be interim HC 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

As you pointed out in your last bullet above, the Jets may have shown they're quite astute as to the timing of the GM move.  Douglas said so himself during the introductory presser.  He now gets to evaluate the team and players, make modest tweaks and moves here and there, but he's largely self-scouting with the goal of finding out what heavy lifting he needs to do come the next FA and Draft period.  I think he'll be more knowledgeable about the Jets true condition and needs come next January because he was hired in May.  He'll be better prepared come next FA and Draft because his staff will already be in place and will have worked together during the entire upcoming college football season.  The more I think about it I wonder how a new GM hire even gets ready when taking a job in January....he has to assemble a team, rely on the work they've done the past 6 months to 2 years while he wasn't managing them, prepare for both FA and the college draft, etc.  That's a lot to do in just 2 to 3 months.

While I'm not quite ready to call them quite astute just yet, the timing really is six of one, half dozen of the other with a little hindsight. A new GM gets hired in January, and he may make a couple front office moves, but he's basically using the last guy's scouts and their reports to evaluate team needs and free agent targets as well as put together his first draft. There are always a lot of conversations about the following season with a new GM, and what he'll do next year with his own staff in place. Joe Douglas will have his own staff in place before the college season starts. He'll be as prepared as he can be, with his people in place, for his first offseason here. So yeah, Mac got an extra off season most of us would've preferred he not get, but the counter is that Joe Douglas won't be going into his first off season using Mac's people. 

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Douglas fought for his staff before he was even hired....I can only imagine the type of negotiator he'll be for the Jets in regard to player moves, contracts and trades.

This is no minor point. Gase had an inside look at the Jets front office before Douglas was hired. They obviously had conversations about the Jets front office. And you have to assume that Joe Douglas rather bluntly told Chris Johnson what he thought was wrong with their front office in comparison to the Super Bowl front offices he's been a part of, and how much money it's going to take to get the Jets management team up to snuff. And, miraculously, CJ listened. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, HessStation said:

I’ll still watch and root for the Jets so this is cool or about right. But whatever  

Long time no see Hess.  Welcome back!

• Upvote 1

Douglas is in charge here.  Gase gets two years.  If he does not have the team playing well, he will be replaced.  Unless Douglas totally bombs, which would be very, very unlikely, he gets at least 5 years.  

On 6/18/2019 at 3:12 PM, rangerous said:

imo you have to consider the source when hearing about gase.  the guy behind the conniving gase was maneesh.

not only him the South Florida papers and the dolphin players were saying as much. I am not defending Manish cause I think he sucks as a beat writer more interested in click bait then telling the truth but you cant discredit everything based on only one source.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:20 PM, jack48 said:

Unless that's overblown "fake news" too.  For the life of me I can't believe anyone, nevermind someone as sharp as Gase seems to be, tells the owner of the team, the guy who signs his check, that he's an idiot or whatever was reported.  

Especially when it comes out after the surprise firing that no one saw coming. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

not only him the South Florida papers and the dolphin players were saying as much. I am not defending Manish cause I think he sucks as a beat writer more interested in click bait then telling the truth but you cant discredit everything based on only one source.

maybe.  i guess a point can be made about the players who are doing the complaining.  landry has quite a bit of talent but like his alumni bros he can also be disruptive.  and tannenhill had a career year under gase.  i think the source(s) needs to be considered and from here it looks like the florida beat writers are no less conniving than maneesh.

either way , we'll see in a couple of months.  right now it's all looking pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Weird. Never knew a jets fan to go from suicidal to outrageously optimistic over a team decision.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:20 PM, jack48 said:

I've done it more than once and if my job was high profile, yeah, I could see them attempting to attack me through the media. Haven't been fired though.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:28 AM, rangerous said:

maybe.  i guess a point can be made about the players who are doing the complaining.  landry has quite a bit of talent but like his alumni bros he can also be disruptive.  and tannenhill had a career year under gase.  i think the source(s) needs to be considered and from here it looks like the florida beat writers are no less conniving than maneesh.

either way , we'll see in a couple of months.  right now it's all looking pretty good.

Tannehill did not have a career yr under gase that is wrong it was the yr before gase got there. This is one of the things people are stating as fact and it is not. Tannehills best yr was 2015  I dont understand why people are repeating this, it is not you sveral people on the board say this when I correct it I am a basher. I simpley question Gase's ability to work with a young qb and show improvement the only othe young qb was Tebow and he is left field now, so not a great track record

Overall, in the 2015 season, the Dolphins finished with a 6–10 record and Tannehill finished with 4,208 passing yards, 24 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions.[72][73]

2015 coaches Head coach Joe Philbin (fired on October 5; 1–3 record) Dan Campbell (interim; 5–7 record)

On 6/21/2019 at 9:52 AM, Jet Nut said:

Unless that's overblown "fake news" too.  For the life of me I can't believe anyone, nevermind someone as sharp as Gase seems to be, tells the owner of the team, the guy who signs his check, that he's an idiot or whatever was reported.  

Especially when it comes out after the surprise firing that no one saw coming. 

I think he basically inferred that he knew more about football than the boss.  Which he does, hands down

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I think he basically inferred that he knew more about football than the boss.  Which he does, hands down

I agree here.  I bet some throw away comment became an overblown argument used as part of the reasoning why he was surprisingly and undeservedly let go.

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2019 at 12:00 PM, rammagen said:

Tannehill did not have a career yr under gase that is wrong it was the yr before gase got there. This is one of the things people are stating as fact and it is not. Tannehills best yr was 2015  I dont understand why people are repeating this, it is not you sveral people on the board say this when I correct it I am a basher. I simpley question Gase's ability to work with a young qb and show improvement the only othe young qb was Tebow and he is left field now, so not a great track record

Overall, in the 2015 season, the Dolphins finished with a 6–10 record and Tannehill finished with 4,208 passing yards, 24 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions.[72][73]

2015 coaches Head coach Joe Philbin (fired on October 5; 1–3 record) Dan Campbell (interim; 5–7 record)

tannenhill's highest qbr was under gase in 2016.  he didn't play the whole season but played well enough to get them into the playoffs.  and while qbr is a somewhat misleading rating, he did have better yards per attempt, pass percentage, and a higher td rate.  by and large he was a better qb under gase.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

tannenhill's highest qbr was under gase in 2016.  he didn't play the whole season but played well enough to get them into the playoffs.  and while qbr is a somewhat misleading rating, he did have better yards per attempt, pass percentage, and a higher td rate.  by and large he was a better qb under gase.

Wasn't his QBR 10 points higher in 2014 than 2016?  I think he was within a tenth of 2016 way back in 2013.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Wasn't his QBR 10 points higher in 2014 than 2016?  I think he was within a tenth of 2016 way back in 2013.

yes.  he did have a higher qbr in 2014 but he still had a higher pass completion rate, yards per attempt , and td percentage.  the point is gase took this clown and had him play better.  qbr aside, he improved in the stats that count and the team made the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yes.  he did have a higher qbr in 2014 but he still had a higher pass completion rate, yards per attempt , and td percentage.  the point is gase took this clown and had him play better.  qbr aside, he improved in the stats that count and the team made the playoffs.

Eh.  He threw for more yards per game in 2014 and 2015 and his INTs were way up under Gase.  The point is, you certainly cannot point to Tannehill as proof of Gase being some type of QB whisperer.  He was arguably better before Gase arrived and 2018 was probably his worse season.  

On 6/18/2019 at 1:15 PM, WowOhWow said:

You are forgiven.

Manipulative beat writers are not.

SAR I

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

Sorry but developed a qb does not mean taking a pro-bowler and winning with him. Develop a qb means he turns him into a player. Tebow and is out of the league and Tannehill is a backup. Tannehill also had a higher qbr in 2014. His passer rating went up which is good but it is because of the type of passes in the offense he also had 19 tds to 12 interceptions in 13 games who knows what would have happened in the last 3 games coould his tds have gone up yes but also his interceptions. His best combined yr for yards tds and rating is 2014, again not under gase, Gase's young qbs he worked with are not a track record guaranteeing success.

I wish him the best as a fan cause I want to win but lets be realistic this has as much potential to blow up really ugly, the minute he starts a loosing streak

56 minutes ago, rammagen said:

Sorry but developed a qb does not mean taking a pro-bowler and winning with him. Develop a qb means he turns him into a player. Tebow and is out of the league and Tannehill is a backup. Tannehill also had a higher qbr in 2014. His passer rating went up which is good but it is because of the type of passes in the offense he also had 19 tds to 12 interceptions in 13 games who knows what would have happened in the last 3 games coould his tds have gone up yes but also his interceptions. His best combined yr for yards tds and rating is 2014, again not under gase, Gase's young qbs he worked with are not a track record guaranteeing success.

I wish him the best as a fan cause I want to win but lets be realistic this has as much potential to blow up really ugly, the minute he starts a loosing streak

the whole point of this thread is how gase has been getting killed over his tenure in miami when the player dissension is a little overblown.

i'm not saying gase is a qb guru.  heck we all heard gailey was some kind of offensive guru and bates was supposed to be a qb guy too.  but it is clear that tannenhill played better under gase than previous.  how?  the things the stick out are yards per attempt and td %.  this means tannenhill was looking downfield more.  and he had a higher completion percentage to boot.  as for the interceptions, he didn't throw that many and not all of them are genoesque stupid ones.

Instead of joining in this argument, I'll simply make the following contribution that at least amuses myself:

tenor.gif?itemid=5447899

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Instead of joining in this argument, I'll simply make the following contribution that at least amuses myself:

tenor.gif?itemid=5447899

it's only a flesh wound.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

the whole point of this thread is how gase has been getting killed over his tenure in miami when the player dissension is a little overblown.

i'm not saying gase is a qb guru.  heck we all heard gailey was some kind of offensive guru and bates was supposed to be a qb guy too.  but it is clear that tannenhill played better under gase than previous.  how?  the things the stick out are yards per attempt and td %.  this means tannenhill was looking downfield more.  and he had a higher completion percentage to boot.  as for the interceptions, he didn't throw that many and not all of them are genoesque stupid ones.

And to me tds and yards mean more to me. his rating went up because of the types of passes attempted. The exact opposite is true Tannehill did not through down field more. the difference between last yr and 2015 is almost 1 yrd more 9.7 to 10.5 with a long of 39 and a long of 50. Sure players have to do with that but it is also the type of routes they ran.

He does not through the ball down the field  as much as shorter routes hence the percentage goes up. Maybe he will through deeper with here IDK. Anything over 2 to 1 tds to interceptions is pretty good for a qb.

Gase believes in short passing game

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/08/12/dolphins-coach-adam-gase-believes-in-10-yards-and-under-passing-game/

the one thing he hangs his hat on, well the phins finished with the lowest amount of pass yards since 2003 last yr.

I can see players he traded not being happy and taking shots but there were some older pros in there on the team that had issues with him as well. That should not be ignored. you hoped he learned but lets wait and see

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/12/31/18162804/former-miami-dolphins-players-taking-shots-at-adam-gase-firing-head-coach-nfl-fired-twitter

So what do I hear? I heard a surprising number of veterans, including SURPRISING ones like Frank Gore, Kenny Stills, and especially Cameron Wake, all rose up and disavowed Gase privately. Wake and Stills directly to Steve Ross. Kenyan Drake wanted a trade if Gase remained.

— Chris Kouffman (@ckparrot) December 31, 2018

I dont think the players disavowing him or complaining is overblown and it is a valid point to pay attention to. If it was Landry alone big deal but you have some players that have been around the league for awhile that complained and put their name to it