Mike Maccagnan Jets 2015 2018 General Manager
  • WTF? 1

1) Bill Parcells

2) Terry Bradway

3) Mike Macagnan

4) Mike T

5) The Idzik 12

I wasn’t around for the rest.

Terry and Macc are just scouts. Terry is the better scout. 

Mike T is just a contract guy. Without someone helping him scout, a team is doomed. Macc handles contract well also.

Idzik is another contract guy. He’s probably better at that then Trader Mike. But he’s so poor at everything else that he takes cake as the worse GM I’ve seen.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

1) Bill Parcells

2) Terry Bradway

3) Mike Macagnan

4) Mike T

5) The Idzik 12

Mike T is just a contract guy. Without someone helping him scout, a team is doomed. Macc handles contract well also.

Idzik is another contract guy. He’s probably better at that then Trader Mike. But he’s so poor at everything else that he takes cake as the worse GM I’ve seen.

Parcells was a horrible executive, but you can rank them however you like. They all sucked with Idzik at the bottom. Really a clear picture of the struggles of this franchise. 

Rich Kotite: Hugh Douglas, Keyshawn, Ray Mickens, Marcus Coleman. Wayne Chrebet as a UDFA. Even 7th rounder Chris Hayes had a career. Crazily, probably one of the better execs this team ever had. That's the Jets in a nutshell. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Parcells was a horrible executive, but you can rank them however you like. They all sucked with Idzik at the bottom. Really a clear picture of the struggles of this franchise. 

Rich Kotite: Hugh Douglas, Keyshawn, Ray Mickens, Marcus Coleman. Wayne Chrebet as a UDFA. Even 7th rounder Chris Hayes had a career. Crazily, probably one of the better execs this team ever had. That's the Jets in a nutshell. 

Parcells - Great coach. 

Parcells - Awful Executive

• Upvote 2

Honestly, if I had to:

1. Bradway -- A scout who drafted some decent players, all things considered. Flawed, but so is everyone on this list.

2. Tannenbaum -- An accountant who was pretty good when he had someone smart in his ear and a disaster when he was drafting Rex's handpicked fullbacks.

3. Parcells -- Obviously you can give him a ton of credit as a coach and he did overhaul the roster between 96 and 98 -- but the reality is most of the best players on the 98 team were there before he was and he didn't actually draft very well during that stretch.... And, of course, left the team in cap hell.

4. Maccagnan -- He's drafted a few solid first rounders and made a few decent trades but generally underwhelmed in every area and had no cohsesive vision for the team.

5, Idzik -- His plan was good -- acquire picks, clear the cap, build through the draft -- but his drafts were so unfathomably bad he set the team back years. Just an out and out disaster.

• Upvote 3

Parcells is the reason why Belichick left for NE... And the sole reason the Jets didn't get Manning.... And his horrible cap management set the team back 5-10 years after he left... He was by far the worst jet executive... And cost them 2+ first rounders for stealing him from NE... Anybody that thinks he was good because he drafted a bunch of OL in the first round need to read more as to how bad he destroyed this franchise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

I think if we’re going to successfully rank the executives, we should first quantify the metrics of prior rankings, by ranking the rankings. Only then will our rankings hold merit against all future and hypothetical rankings.

1) Bill Parcells
2) Terry Bradway
3) Mike Macagnan
4) Mike T
5) The Idzik 12

Parcels was a great coach but not a good GM.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Parcells is the reason why Belochick left for NE... And the sole reason the Jets didn't get Manning.... And his horrible cap management set the team back 5-10 years after he left... He was by far the worst jet executive... And cost them 2+ first rounders for stealing him from NE... Anybody that thinks he was good because he drafted a bunch of OL in the first round need to read more as to how bad he destroyed this franchise. 

??

The Jets were competitive in the Herm era mostly because of the players Bill brought in. 

Curtis Martin, John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Jason Ferguson, Chad Pennington, Laverneous Coles

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Parcells is the reason why Belochick left for NE... And the sole reason the Jets didn't get Manning.... And his horrible cap management set the team back 5-10 years after he left... He was by far the worst jet executive... And cost them 2+ first rounders for stealing him from NE... Anybody that thinks he was good because he drafted a bunch of OL in the first round need to read more as to how bad he destroyed this franchise. 

Plus he never won a Championship without BB on his staff. Hmmmmmmmm..........

12 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

??

The Jets were competitive in the Herm era mostly because of the players Bill brought in. 

Curtis Martin, John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Jason Ferguson, Chad Pennington, Laverneous Coles

Destroyed the salary cap, Belichick left because he would never relent power., Peyton.... Orlando pace... 97 draft was a failure.... 98 was worse... 99 jets got randy Lange.... 2000 was literally the only time he had a good draft.... That's it.... He was a Mac failure level for the first 3.

• Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

What next, rank the janitors?

What? you think this isn't important.

You know how bad an over flowing toilet affects team morale?  You think it helps the team walking from the shower to the locker room through that stuff  when somebody has hidden your flip flops.  Geez

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

What? you think this isn't important.

You know how bad an over flowing toilet affects team morale?  You think it helps the team walking from the shower to the locker room through that stuff  when somebody has hidden your flip flops.  Geez

The janitors in the 70's era Jets had a better work ethic.  

9 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

@Jetsplayer21 So you obviously don't believe me that Parcells the executive destroyed this franchise for 5 - 10 years after he left... So please tell me outside of the lucky 2000 draft.  What did he do to bring this franchise into success? Not the coach Parcells.... the executive... 

Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, Laverneous Coles, Jason Ferguson.

Those guys plus the 2000 draft picks were the core of the Edwards playoff teams. 

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

@Jetsplayer21 So you obviously don't believe me that Parcells the executive destroyed this franchise for 5 - 10 years after he left... So please tell me outside of the lucky 2000 draft.  What did he do to bring this franchise into success? Not the coach Parcells.... the executive... 

He brought a team that consistently won 1-3 games, to 9-7 his first yr. playoff run in his second.. He was the executive when he was the coach. He wasn’t answering to anyone when he was HC here.. 

i just didn’t take you for a Mac fan boy defender? You honestly don’t think Douglas would have done a better job this offseason ? Wouldn’t have brought darnold/bell a legit center? Lol

Parcells drafts:

1997:

1 - 8 - James Farrior - LB - Virginia
2 - 31 - Rick Terry - DE - North Carolina
3 - 88 - Dedric Ward - WR - Northern Iowa
4 - 102 - Terry Day - DE - Mississippi State
4 - 104 - Leon Johnson - RB - North Carolina
5 - 131 - Lamont Burns - OG - East Carolina
5 - 145 - Raymond Austin - DB - Tennessee
6 - 164 - Tim Scharf - LB - Northwestern
6 - 191 - Chuck Clements - QB - Houston
7 - 202 - Steve Rosga - DB - Colorado
7 - 229 - Jason Ferguson - DT - Georgia

1998:
2 - 56 - Dorian Boose - DE - Washington State
3 - 67 - Scott Frost - DB - Nebraska
3 - 87 - Kevin Williams - DB - Oklahoma State
4 - 111 - Jason Fabini - OT - Cincinnati
5 - 134 - Casey Dailey - LB - Northwestern
5 - 141 - Doug Karczewski - OG - Virginia
5 - 146 - Blake Spence - TE - Oregon
5 - 149 - Eric Bateman - OG - Brigham Young
6 - 163 - Eric Ogbogu - DE - Maryland
6 - 174 - Chris Brazzell - WR - Angelo State
6 - 183 - Dustin Johnson - RB - Brigham Young
7 - 195 - Lawrence Hart - TE - Southern

1999:

2 - 57 - Randy Thomas - OG - Mississippi State
3 - 90 - David Loverne - OG - San Jose State
4 - 123 - Jason Wiltz - DT - Nebraska
5 - 162 - Jermaine Jones - DB - Northwestern State
6 - 183 - Marc Megna - LB - Richmond
6 - 197 - J.P. Machado - OG - Illinois
7 - 223 - Ryan Young - OT - Kansas State
7 - 235 - J.J. Syvrud - LB - Jamestown

2000:
1 - 12 - Shaun Ellis - DE - Tennessee
1 - 13 - John Abraham - LB - South Carolina
1 - 18 - Chad Pennington - QB - Marshall
1 - 27 - Anthony Becht - TE - West Virginia
3 - 78 - Laveranues Coles - WR - Florida State
5 - 143 - Windrell Hayes - WR - Southern California
6 - 179 - Tony Scott - DB - North Carolina State
7 - 218 - Richard Seals - DT - Utah

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Parcells drafts:

1997:

1 - 8 - James Farrior - LB - Virginia
2 - 31 - Rick Terry - DE - North Carolina
3 - 88 - Dedric Ward - WR - Northern Iowa
4 - 102 - Terry Day - DE - Mississippi State
4 - 104 - Leon Johnson - RB - North Carolina
5 - 131 - Lamont Burns - OG - East Carolina
5 - 145 - Raymond Austin - DB - Tennessee
6 - 164 - Tim Scharf - LB - Northwestern
6 - 191 - Chuck Clements - QB - Houston
7 - 202 - Steve Rosga - DB - Colorado
7 - 229 - Jason Ferguson - DT - Georgia

1998:
2 - 56 - Dorian Boose - DE - Washington State
3 - 67 - Scott Frost - DB - Nebraska
3 - 87 - Kevin Williams - DB - Oklahoma State
4 - 111 - Jason Fabini - OT - Cincinnati
5 - 134 - Casey Dailey - LB - Northwestern
5 - 141 - Doug Karczewski - OG - Virginia
5 - 146 - Blake Spence - TE - Oregon
5 - 149 - Eric Bateman - OG - Brigham Young
6 - 163 - Eric Ogbogu - DE - Maryland
6 - 174 - Chris Brazzell - WR - Angelo State
6 - 183 - Dustin Johnson - RB - Brigham Young
7 - 195 - Lawrence Hart - TE - Southern

1999:

2 - 57 - Randy Thomas - OG - Mississippi State
3 - 90 - David Loverne - OG - San Jose State
4 - 123 - Jason Wiltz - DT - Nebraska
5 - 162 - Jermaine Jones - DB - Northwestern State
6 - 183 - Marc Megna - LB - Richmond
6 - 197 - J.P. Machado - OG - Illinois
7 - 223 - Ryan Young - OT - Kansas State
7 - 235 - J.J. Syvrud - LB - Jamestown

2000:
1 - 12 - Shaun Ellis - DE - Tennessee
1 - 13 - John Abraham - LB - South Carolina
1 - 18 - Chad Pennington - QB - Marshall
1 - 27 - Anthony Becht - TE - West Virginia
3 - 78 - Laveranues Coles - WR - Florida State
5 - 143 - Windrell Hayes - WR - Southern California
6 - 179 - Tony Scott - DB - North Carolina State
7 - 218 - Richard Seals - DT - Utah

Imagine if he drafted Pace? 

Pace, Mawae, Randy Thomas, Jason Fabini with HOF Curtis Martin 

14 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He brought a team that consistently won 1-3 games, to 9-7 his first yr. playoff run in his second.. He was the executive when he was the coach. He wasn’t answering to anyone when he was HC here.. 

i just didn’t take you for a Mac fan boy defender? You honestly don’t think Douglas would have done a better job this offseason ? Wouldn’t have brought darnold/bell a legit center? Lol

I am not defending Mac... I have no idea what douglas would have done... the idea that Mac had a bad offseason for bringing in some of the best talent they have seen in years is hating Mac just for hating Mac... not being objective... 

The coach Parcells turned Kotite's draft picks into playoff teams... Parcells the executive... drafted like sh*t... see above and destroyed the salary cap by mortgaging the future for FAs... 

Parcells also wouldn't commit to Manning, traded down twice for farrier and could have taken Orlando Pace a HOF player.... Drove Belichick out of NY to the rival NE team who would torture the Jets franchise for the next 20 years... 

Again what did Parcells do as an executive that was good for this franchise.

2 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Imagine if he drafted Pace? 

Pace, Mawae, Randy Thomas, Jason Fabini with HOF Curtis Martin 

Piss poor draft picks outside of those 2 draft picks who were ok but not great ... but yes that would have been great... Mawae was amazing and I am glad they got him ... and Martin but they also spent a lot to get those 2.

31 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, Laverneous Coles, Jason Ferguson.

Those guys plus the 2000 draft picks were the core of the Edwards playoff teams. 

So by this theory Mac might be the best executive too because he brought in Bell, Osmele, Crowder, Mosley, and had what seems to be a great draft in 2019... Drafted Adams, Leo, Maye, and Sam.... which if they make the playoffs and go on runs, is it because of Douglas or because the guys that Mac brought in??

Only difference is that Mac actually managed the cap way better and is set up for future success and Parcells destroyed the future cap.... So maybe you can even argue that Mac is better then Parcells (I obviously don't think that Mac is a good GM, I am just using that as a reference to why you think Parcells is a great executive)