Phil Savage, Chad Alexander Expected to join Jets staff

Lith

Career history
As coach:
As executive:
As administrator:

First stint with BrownsEdit

Savage began his career in the National Football League (NFL) as an intern with the Cleveland Browns in 1991. Savage was hired by the new Browns head coach Bill Belichick as a coach and made the transition to scouting and personnel in 1994. During his first stint in Cleveland, he worked with several talented young scouts and assistant coaches that Belichick had assembled, including Nick SabanKirk FerentzPat Hill, and Jim Bates.

Baltimore RavensEdit

Savage worked his way up the ladder in the front office as a scout and personnel evaluator with the Browns, eventually following Cleveland's former owner Art Modell and the rest of the front office to Baltimore in 1995.

Savage then played an important role in the drafting of 10 Pro Bowl players: offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden, linebacker Ray Lewis, receiver Jermaine Lewis, linebacker Peter Boulware, cornerback Chris McAlister, running back Jamal Lewis, linebacker Adalius Thomas, tight end Todd Heap, safety Ed Reed and linebacker Terrell Suggs.

Second stint with BrownsEdit

Savage was named Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Cleveland Browns on January 6, 2005. On December 30, 2005, reports surfaced that Savage was on the verge of being fired after less than one year on the job, an item that was quickly denied by Browns management. The speculation was based on a reported personality conflict between Savage and Browns team president John Collins. Four days after the organizational rift became public, it was Collins who resigned his post after losing the power struggle with Savage.

Savage stole the headlines in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft as the Browns drafted Wisconsinoffensive tackle Joe Thomas with the third pick overall, and then acquired Notre Dame quarterbackBrady Quinn with the 22nd pick, acquired through a trade with the Dallas Cowboys. The Browns gave up their 2007 second-round pick and 2008 first-round draft selection to Dallas for the chance to pick Quinn.

The Browns signed Savage to a three-year extension through 2012 on May 2, 2008. However, after a poor 2008 season and an email controversy involving a fan,[1] Savage was fired on December 28, 2008.[2]

Philadelphia EaglesEdit

On February 4, 2010, Savage was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles as a player personnel consultant. In his role, Savage worked with general manager Howie Roseman and director of player personnel Ryan Grigson in preparation for the 2010 NFL Draft, specifically in the evaluation of draft prospects in the southeast part of the country.[3] He was re-hired during training camp.[4]

Senior BowlEdit

Savage was named the executive director for the Senior Bowl in May 2012 where he served until May 2018.[5]

Arizona HotshotsEdit

In June 2018, Savage joined the Arizona Hotshots of the Alliance of American Football as their general manager.[6]

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Not a bad hire at all.  Question though, were the Champ Kelly rumors ever confirmed?  Curious if this move is in addition to, or instead of, him.

My assumption was that they'd be for different roles -- the rumor i had heard was Savage for Director of College Scouting. Kelly is better known for pro personnel.

29 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Not a bad hire at all.  Question though, were the Champ Kelly rumors ever confirmed?  Curious if this move is in addition to, or instead of, him.

This was my question. 

I like the Savage hire. An older, stabilizing hand for our new, young GM. Kelly's an up & comer, though. More interested in getting him aboard. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034097/article/jets-expected-to-add-phil-savage-to-new-front-office

Jets expected to add Phil Savage to new front office

Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: June 18, 2019 at 02:54 p.m.
  • Updated: June 18, 2019 at 03:01 p.m.

Phil Savage is back in an NFL front office.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports the former Cleveland Browns GM is expected to join the New York Jets personnel staff, per sources informed of the decision. Savage's role is not yet clear, but barring a snag, an announcement is expected this week, per Rapoport.

It's a reunion for Savage and new Jets GM Joe Douglas. The duo worked together in Baltimore, from 2000 when Douglas joined the Ravens' staff as a scout until 2005 when Savage left for the Browns GM job. This time around, it's Douglas in charge.

After his stint as the Browns GM and three years with the Philadelphia Eagles, Savage worked as the Senior Bowl Executive Director from 2012-2018, where he helped select the prospects and run the event, a vital part of the pre-draft process.

Savage left the Senior Bowl last year for a chance to be the GM of the Arizona Hotshots of the Alliance of American Football, which folded before the end of its first season.

The hire of Savage marks a key addition for Douglas as he surrounds himself with familiar faces that can bolster the Jets' scouting department.

2 hours ago, slats said:

This was my question. 

I like the Savage hire. An older, stabilizing hand for our new, young GM. Kelly's an up & comer, though. More interested in getting him aboard. 

I dont know if I can take any more of these sound hires.  I am ready to break......

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Great hire. As others posted, ran the Senior Bowl for 6 years. Former GM...expect he takes control of College Scouting, with Champ Kelly taking assistant GM in charge of pro player personnel. 

This has been quite the offseason. I’m hopeful for 2019....but even more so for the years after with a front office like this.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo   he drafted Brady Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Maybe after drafting Joe Thomas he thought he could set the rest on auto draft. 

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

As a GM, sure.

Even then, the last winning season the Browns had was with Savage as GM.

But as a scout and personnel guy, he’s pretty damn good.

I just wouldn’t want him having final say. And he won’t here.

None of us have any idea who’s good at this sh*t or not. Every hire we make the guy is supposedly some guru at a thing and he turns out to be Simple Jack. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Anybody in that Ozzie Newsome office that drafted HOFer like hot cakes I will take.k A

Maybe you should check his record in Cleveland.  Joe Thomas, D'Qwell Jackson and a bunch of stiffs.  I think Brodney Pool might crack his top 5 over 4 drafts.  Ended up with nothing but 4ths in 2008 after trading up for Brady Quinn and for some DTs like Shaun Rogers.  I think Ahtyba Rubin is the only guy to come out of that draft that ever started a game, or made it out of his 1st season.  

He did plenty of scout work, including for Roseman in Philadelphia, but before Douglas got there.

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

None of us have any idea who’s good at this sh*t or not. Every hire we make the guy is supposedly some guru at a thing and he turns out to be Simple Jack. 

He played a big part in scouting and drafting guys like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Jonathan Ogden, Peter Boulware, etc.

He was Ozzie Newsome’s original right hand man when guys like Eric DeCosta and Joe Douglas were just low-level area scouts in Baltimore.

I wouldn’t want him as the GM, but as Senior Director of College Scouting or VP of Player Personnel...absolutely.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Their record was like 24-40 while he was there

Yeah, he was a sh*t GM and was justifiably fired.

But that doesn’t discount the fact that the last time Cleveland had a winning record and made a postseason appearance, Savage was the GM.

Wouldn’t want him as the head honcho, but I’d hire him to run the college scouting or player personnel department.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1