Phil Savage, Chad Alexander Expected to join Jets staff

Lith

5 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Remind me again ....how did JD  (JD is trying to hire Savage) get hired? ☺

Gase pushed Douglas very hard on CJ.  Who admitted that he didn't have any clue how to go about hiring a GM, and that's why he kept Mac in the first place.  Kudos to CJ for signing the substantial check.   

If you think Douglas was CJ's guy........OK I guess

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Right now all we know is that the Johnsons hired him and they suck at hiring people. 

Actually what we know is Christopher Johnson hired him

Hes hired Gase, a seemingly solid coaching staff, Joe Douglas and Savage.

Dont know how anyone could say hes bad at hiring people at this point.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:
Career history
As coach:
As executive:
As administrator:

First stint with BrownsEdit

Savage began his career in the National Football League (NFL) as an intern with the Cleveland Browns in 1991. Savage was hired by the new Browns head coach Bill Belichick as a coach and made the transition to scouting and personnel in 1994. During his first stint in Cleveland, he worked with several talented young scouts and assistant coaches that Belichick had assembled, including Nick SabanKirk FerentzPat Hill, and Jim Bates.

Baltimore RavensEdit

Savage worked his way up the ladder in the front office as a scout and personnel evaluator with the Browns, eventually following Cleveland's former owner Art Modell and the rest of the front office to Baltimore in 1995.

Savage then played an important role in the drafting of 10 Pro Bowl players: offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden, linebacker Ray Lewis, receiver Jermaine Lewis, linebacker Peter Boulware, cornerback Chris McAlister, running back Jamal Lewis, linebacker Adalius Thomas, tight end Todd Heap, safety Ed Reed and linebacker Terrell Suggs.

Second stint with BrownsEdit

Savage was named Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Cleveland Browns on January 6, 2005. On December 30, 2005, reports surfaced that Savage was on the verge of being fired after less than one year on the job, an item that was quickly denied by Browns management. The speculation was based on a reported personality conflict between Savage and Browns team president John Collins. Four days after the organizational rift became public, it was Collins who resigned his post after losing the power struggle with Savage.

Savage stole the headlines in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft as the Browns drafted Wisconsinoffensive tackle Joe Thomas with the third pick overall, and then acquired Notre Dame quarterbackBrady Quinn with the 22nd pick, acquired through a trade with the Dallas Cowboys. The Browns gave up their 2007 second-round pick and 2008 first-round draft selection to Dallas for the chance to pick Quinn.

The Browns signed Savage to a three-year extension through 2012 on May 2, 2008. However, after a poor 2008 season and an email controversy involving a fan,[1] Savage was fired on December 28, 2008.[2]

Philadelphia EaglesEdit

On February 4, 2010, Savage was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles as a player personnel consultant. In his role, Savage worked with general manager Howie Roseman and director of player personnel Ryan Grigson in preparation for the 2010 NFL Draft, specifically in the evaluation of draft prospects in the southeast part of the country.[3] He was re-hired during training camp.[4]

Senior BowlEdit

Savage was named the executive director for the Senior Bowl in May 2012 where he served until May 2018.[5]

Arizona HotshotsEdit

In June 2018, Savage joined the Arizona Hotshots of the Alliance of American Football as their general manager.[6]

Put this guy’s resume in perspective to Macc who did squat to earn the GM spot. This a good hire. He’s got years of NFL experience. You go Joe!

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This front office is loaded 

Yes it is. But so is a baked potato with cheese and bacon bits. Let’s see what these cats do in the next 2 years to create a competitive roster. Can they possibly do any worse than the  Idzik/Macc era? That would be hard to beat.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING IN AROUND HERE!!!

We're finally putting together a front office to compete with that weird savant up in New England.

Forgive me for not getting quite as excited about all of this news as you and so many others.

It’s just that after watching this team for 55 years, every time since the post-Weeb Ewbank era we’ve made a change, I’ve heard the same song and dance about every new GM and their staff. The same goes for new HCs and QBs.

After all those years of Idzick’s, Kotite’s and Browning Nagle’s, I’m going to wait a while and see how this whole Douglas, Gase and Darnold thing plays out before I get excited about taking down Super Bowl winners.

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Yes it is. But so is a baked potato with cheese and bacon bits. Let’s see what these cats do in the next 2 years to create a competitive roster. Can they possibly do any worse than the  Idzik/Macc era? That would be hard to beat.

Actually waiting to see what happens before offering judgement on something? That’s crazy talk. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo   he drafted Brady Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Did you miss who he was instrumental in drafting for Baltimore?  I'll take one miss and 10 hits over 5 misses and 5 hits any day.

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Forgive me for not getting quite as excited about all of this news as you and so many others.

It’s just that after watching this team for 55 years, every time since the post-Weeb Ewbank era we’ve made a change, I’ve heard the same song and dance about every new GM and their staff. The same goes for new HCs and QBs.

After all those years of Idzick’s, Kotite’s and Browning Nagle’s, I’m going to wait a while and see how this whole Douglas, Gase and Darnold thing plays out before I get excited about taking down Super Bowl winners.

I agree to some extent.  But this staff is definitely different.  

21 hours ago, Untouchable said:

As a GM, sure.

Even then, the last winning season the Browns had was with Savage as GM.

But as a scout and personnel guy, he’s pretty damn good.

I just wouldn’t want him having final say. And he won’t here.

He did draft a left tackle (a very good one) high in the first round.  Emphasis on OL would be a welcome change.  Also, I don't think you can kill him for drafting Quinn.  Late first is always a crapshoot for a QB.

57 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

He did draft a left tackle (a very good one) high in the first round.  Emphasis on OL would be a welcome change.  Also, I don't think you can kill him for drafting Quinn.  Late first is always a crapshoot for a QB.

He traded up for Quinn.  

#36 in 2007 and #22 in 2008.  540+790= 1,330 which is between 9 and 10.  With the one year discount it would be around 540+360=900 or pick #18.  In reality it turned out to be Kevin Kolb + Felix Jones. 

This all seems to go back to the lead up to hiring Douglas, the rumors of stalled negotiations, Douglas fighting for budget and positions for the staff he wants to assemble, etc.  We're now seeing that those extended negotiations are leading to some quality "gets" for the new F.O.

This is good stuff....and the kinds of things we're not used to seeing.