Per Rapsheet: Jets hire Chad Alexander as Director of Player Personnel

17 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I see your point.  However he has chosen to put himself right in the middle of football operations by having his GM and HC report directly to him as equals.  So he has to manage all the egos in the room and make smart football decisions when there are conflicts...

who else are they going to report to?  the owner pays the bills. apparently a lot of nfl teams do it this way

3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

True but apparently a lot of NFL teams have owners who understand football...

The great hope is that Douglas & Gase win enough that the owner figures out how to stay out of their way. No more owner-directives to target a specific free agent or crap like that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I would wager that no owner has superior knowledge of football to his GM---now that Macc is out of the league

That's not the issue.  If Gase gets into squabbles with his coaches and/or players and there is dysfunction in the locker room, Douglas isn't going to get involved.  As Gase's direct boss, that's CJ's problem...

23 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

That's not the issue.  If Gase gets into squabbles with his coaches and/or players and there is dysfunction in the locker room, Douglas isn't going to get involved.  As Gase's direct boss, that's CJ's problem...

Gase doesn’t have to squabble with anyone. He’s in charge of all of those coaches. 

I don't squabble with my boss, I enjoy my job at the moment.

48 minutes ago, slats said:

The great hope is that Douglas & Gase win enough that the owner figures out how to stay out of their way. No more owner-directives to target a specific free agent or crap like that. 

Joe will get around that by allowing himself to be outbid

47 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

And  I said it is the same all over the league-- apparently.  ihad not been aware of that when Bowles and Mcc were hired.  It is apparently a commonplace power structure

15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Gase doesn’t have to squabble with anyone. He’s in charge of all of those coaches. 

I don't squabble with my boss, I enjoy my job at the moment.

Honestly I think that's naive.  A player goes off the rails posts something alarming on Instagram or blabs to the press or whatever.  CJ has $ X millions tied up with that player representing the Jets brand.  You really think he's just going to let Gase sort it out? Do you think his football acumen is good enough to manage the on field product vs. the marketing side?

12 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Honestly I think that's naive.  A player goes off the rails posts something alarming on Instagram or blabs to the press or whatever.  CJ has $ X millions tied up with that player representing the Jets brand.  You really think he's just going to let Gase sort it out? Do you think his football acumen is good enough to manage the on field product vs. the marketing side?

Has nothing to do with CJ.

Gase is in CHARGE of his coaching staff. 

On 6/18/2019 at 5:16 PM, slats said:

I would like to once again reiterate that had the Jets fired Maccagnan in January, there's simply no way their front office looks as solid on paper as it does today. Probably looks more like toilet paper. 

Lucky >>>>> Good

Except that the roster would likely be a heck of a lot better.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:16 PM, slats said:

Gleefully support? No. Accept? Yeah, probably. 

But this hire feels like the first one in a long time where the team wasn't choosing from the group of lesser candidates even willing to talk to this franchise. So there's that. Hopefully these guys live up to somewhere close to the hype, and the incompetent ones learn to stay out of their way. 

Yes, but we didn't have that problem with HC this time around either.  Darnold is the reason why top candidates are willing to come here now - not because the hire was made in May.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Except that the roster would likely be a heck of a lot better.

I don't know that the free agency period would've looked much different. I thought the Mosely signing was the most questionable move of the off-season, but Gase seems to love it. Crowder and Bell are fits. Osemele for a fifth is still a good deal. I think the OL guys are projecting with Paradis, and that Gase is less concerned about the center position than they are. The CB position is another thing, and Douglas quickly moved to grab a couple. 

The draft, however, might've been completely different. This is true. Douglas would've been working from Mac's scouts' notes, but I think he would've been more aggressive in trying to trade down from #3, and that the third round would look completely different. The only guy I'm quasi-excited about (outside of QW) is Wesco, but he had a quiet spring. If Tomlinson makes the final 53, Wesco had a rough summer. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

I don't know that the free agency period would've looked much different. I thought the Mosely signing was the most questionable move of the off-season, but Gase seems to love it. Crowder and Bell are fits. Osemele for a fifth is still a good deal. I think the OL guys are projecting with Paradis, and that Gase is less concerned about the center position than they are. The CB position is another thing, and Douglas quickly moved to grab a couple. 

The draft, however, might've been completely different. This is true. Douglas would've been working from Mac's scouts' notes, but I think he would've been more aggressive in trying to trade down from #3, and that the third round would look completely different. The only guy I'm quasi-excited about (outside of QW) is Wesco, but he had a quiet spring. If Tomlinson makes the final 53, Wesco had a rough summer. 

I doubt they pay that kind of money to an inside LB  (I agree with you as that being the most questionable signing) They almost certainly would have signed a center.

And yes, I can't believe the Jets would have drafted another DT - and trade down would have been very likely.