Rex Hogan is back

7 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

The talk around the league when Ballard was hired was that all the guys he got to come with him were highly respected.  Just because a guy works for a crappy organization doesn't mean hes incompetent.  A number of people who have worked for the Jets are good at what they do.

Terry Bradway was NOT in this class of employee.

I want to know who the hell was that???!?? Not rude like but just honestly curious who were the good people here that were not listened to? Ifeel like all the staff sucked

13 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Here's hoping that Maccagnan simply failed to listen to him, considering the drafts while he was around as senior director of college scouting were hardly awe-inspiring (2015 - 2017).

coming from a good outfit

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

Yep, Champ confirmed late last night he is staying with Bears.

Thanks . I wonder if he made that decision 1st and then the Jets moved on or if the Jets made their hires and then Kelly decided to stay in Chicago.

33 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Thanks . I wonder if he made that decision 1st and then the Jets moved on or if the Jets made their hires and then Kelly decided to stay in Chicago.

Great question.   One that I am not sure we will find out, but unlike McShay who was out last week, this one seems to have gone on till a decision was made by the Jets.  If it was a choice for Douglas, good of him to not just go with familiarity (as he was familiar with Champ and not Hogan).

28 minutes ago, Mavericknyc1980 said:

I think their is some truth to this theory.  One big fault of Macc is that he did not collaborate with his staff.

It appears that is ultimately what got him fired. 

Not allowing Gase to talk to the scouts about his opinions on the draft picks is really one of the stupidest things I have heard of.

Even CJ, who acknowledged he had no real involvement in the team, realized that Gase's non-involvement in the draft was a formula for disaster.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mavericknyc1980 said:

I think their is some truth to this theory.  One big fault of Macc is that he did not collaborate with his staff.

There's very likely nothing to that.  That's not a defense of Maccagnan mind you, he's completely incompetent.  But Hogan spent 3 years here, which is by no means a short time by NFL measures, and only left (post-draft) once offered a promotion with another team that the Jets (via both Maccagnan and Heimerdinger) had a strong working relationship with their front office.  Hogan then came back when offered another promotion.  Sometimes things are really just as simple as they seem.

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I personally think this played into douglas' decision to go hogan over kelly.  I'm not sure if kelly was opting to stay in chicago first or not, or possibly if we wanted both and hogan wouldnt come for any position other than Assist. GM either way we got a great FO man back in the fold.  

These tweets say it all really, sometimes getting positions isnt about what you know its about who you know, and for this one it may not have been who in the building he knew, but more who around the league and who in the college ranks he knew.  Joe is really well connected, and it seems like him and Champ would have similar contacts based off their history, while a guy like rex who has never worked with joe may be able to bridge the gap better with other schools and teams to get more done. 

18 hours ago, Dinamite said:

The move has been well received by the Breers, Schefter, Yates and other commentators of the sports world.   It is also an interesting move because there is no history between Douglas and Hogan I think (unlike the other members of his front office).   This could suggest Douglas bypassing a degree of comfort to just select the best possible person for the job, which is very good.

Douglas worked with Hogan in Chicago and promoted him to national scout.  I think that season was also the only time that he overlapped with Kelly.  The Kelly narrative stemmed from his being in Chicago with Gase and Douglas in 2015 and Denver with Gase.  

• Upvote 1