New Jets Front Office

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Every time we get a big front office shift I get excited and every time they dissappoint me. Hope this one works but no matter how good they look on paper I can't believe without seeing success.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

whwn was the last time we have a good front office? asking for a friend

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Every time we get a big front office shift I get excited and every time they dissappoint me. Hope this one works but no matter how good they look on paper I can't believe without seeing success.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Only thing is I am 54 this summer and don't ever remember a front office like this with this kind of overall talent. Steinberg and hist FO team were not this good nor did they have this kind of scouting/personel experience, and Parcell's FO was him, Tannebaum and some others that were not at this level as what we see now. Plus we may be fortunate that this FO team may stay around a while since they are not 3-4 year and done types like Parcells. Lets see. I would think if we can't build a team and win with this FO the way it's shaping up we never will. So, it's all in with these guys. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’ve got to admire that Douglas is hiring guys who could potentially take his job. It speaks to his personal confidence that he’s choosing to surround himself with experienced, qualified people with ambition. 

Uhm - he just got a 6 year deal (1 longer than Gase) at ~$3M per season.

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’ve got to admire that Douglas is hiring guys who could potentially take his job. It speaks to his personal confidence that he’s choosing to surround himself with experienced, qualified people with ambition. 

They’ve all sucked at his job. Safe to say they’re not a threat and this is probably more evil genius type sh*t.

• WTF? 1

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s good management 101, but I agree it’s rare in the NFL

With all these front office moves the Jets are making think about how
bad HOU looks.  In the space of 10 days we've added Douglas, Alexander,
Hogan and Savage.  While HOU fired their GM, couldn't even get an interview
with their first choice and now will go without a GM

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

http://turnonthejets.com/2019/06/new-york-jets-all-of-joe-douglas-men/

New York Jets – All Of Joe Douglas’ Men…

Joe Caporoso on the first major additions to Joe Douglas’ front office: Rex Hogan, Phil Savage and Chad Alexander…

TOJ-FEAT.png?zoom=2.25&fit=220%2C224

Joe Douglas got to work in a big way today for the New York Jets front office by making three major additions: Rex Hogan, Chad Alexander and Phil Savage. Let’s take a quick look at the three…

Rex Hogan, Assistant GM – The most surprising/interesting move of the day was bringing back Hogan, who was the team’s Director of College Scouting from 2015-2017 under Mike Maccagnan but then left to join Chris Ballard in Indianapolis as the VP of Player Personnel. Hogan was well regarded around the organization during his time with the Jets and they never really replaced him after he left. He has no previous history with Douglas but knows his way around this organization and is clearly more interested in working with Douglas here than he was with Maccagnan, who ultimately made Brian Heimerdinger his number two over Hogan. The concern about Hogan? He was the Director of College Scouting during two porous drafts for the Jets (2015 and 2016). The positive? He learned under Ballard the past two years, who has been among the best GMs in football and was part of a masterful 2018 NFL Draft for the Colts. It is also good to see Douglas isn’t afraid to hire somebody he doesn’t have previous experience with.

Phil Savage, Senior Adviser – This had been rumored for awhile but became official today. Savage and Douglas spent time together in Baltimore in the early 2000s, prior to Savage becoming GM of the Cleveland Browns and then a Personnel Executive with the Philadelphia Eagles. Since then, he has been the Executive Director of the Senior Bowl and did a brief stint with the AAF. Savage is loaded with front office experience in a variety of situations, some very successful like being Ozzie Newsome’s right hand man in building a Super Bowl winner and some less successful, like his time with the Cleveland Browns. It is understandable Douglas would want somebody like Savage around who has held a GM job previously and also has ties/viewpoints on every player who passed through the Senior Bowl from 2012-2018 and is now in the NFL.

Chad Alexander, Director of Player Personnel – Alexander is leaving the Ravens for a promotion (he was only the Assistant Director of Player Personnel there). He had been with the organization for nearly 20 years, where he spent a large chunk of time with Douglas (and time with Savage) and worked his way up from a pro personnel assistant and scout. He will now be one of the top 3-4 executives in the Jets organization and serve a somewhat similar role to Douglas, that he served to Howie Roseman.

It does not appear the Jets are going to bring over Champ Kelly from the Chicago Bears, who was widely considered the runner up to Douglas. Yet, ultimately the Jets had a good day, adding two personnel executives from 2018 playoff teams (Colts, Bears) and bringing in a seasoned veteran with deep NFL/college ties to support Douglas as he acclimates to the new role. This is a front office that will be way more plugged in league wide than previous iterations of what the Jets had under Mike Maccagnan and John Idzik.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A's hire A's... B's hire C's

5 hours ago, KRL said:

who cares how Houston looks.

I’m hoping the new front office can have some of the following:-

Having a vision for the team, Selecting players that fit into that vision, and having a plan to execute it.

Drafting players in the mid rounds that contributed and develop into starters.

Understanding it’s not all about BAP, but also QB’s, LT’s, W.R’s are more important than Run stuffing DL, and Safety’s.

This seems to be what we lacked compared to the consistent NFL teams.

Chris Johnson seems light years ahead of Woody. Let’s hope this is the beginning of the good times..

• Upvote 1

Al

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’m hoping the new front office can have some of the following:-

Having a vision for the team, Selecting players that fit into that vision, and having a plan to execute it.

Drafting players in the mid rounds that contributed and develop into starters.

Understanding it’s not all about BAP, but also QB’s, LT’s, W.R’s are more important than Run stuffing DL, and Safety’s.

This seems to be what we lacked compared to the consistent NFL teams.

Chris Johnson seems light years ahead of Woody. Let’s hope this is the beginning of the good times..

YES!  I think the front office hires that Douglas just made fit into that vision with what we heard about what he looks for in the players he adds to the roster.  He looks for guys that love the game and have been team captains/leaders on their respected squad.  That is what you find with these front office additions as well.  The Phil Savage hire is most exciting to me because he has found success and has failed.  For Douglas as a new young GM, he is surrounding himself with a wealth of experience.

• Sympathy 2

Looks good on paper now let's see how it works out. As has been mentioned by others in this thread it looks like Douglas has a vision and is surrounding himself with guys to make it a reality. A quality front office makes all the difference when it comes down to it and so far it's looking good......in June.

4 hours ago, jetsons said:

Rex Hogan, Assistant GM – The most surprising/interesting move of the day was bringing back Hogan, who was the team’s Director of College Scouting from 2015-2017 under Mike Maccagnan but then left to join Chris Ballard in Indianapolis as the VP of Player Personnel. Hogan was well regarded around the organization during his time with the Jets and they never really replaced him after he left. He has no previous history with Douglas but knows his way around this organization and is clearly more interested in working with Douglas here than he was with Maccagnan, who ultimately made Brian Heimerdinger his number two over Hogan. The concern about Hogan? He was the Director of College Scouting during two porous drafts for the Jets (2015 and 2016). The positive? He learned under Ballard the past two years, who has been among the best GMs in football and was part of a masterful 2018 NFL Draft for the Colts. It is also good to see Douglas isn’t afraid to hire somebody he doesn’t have previous experience with.

Interesting choice. Ballard is the hot new GM, so bringing in a guy who's both familiar with the Jets and who worked under said hot name seems like a positive. The OL church should be happy because he was presumably a part of the reconstruction of that Colts OL. Have to figure Hogan also knows a lot of the scouting department here, and should be very useful helping Douglas with who should be retained and who should be replaced. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, KRL said:

Have to wonder if it speaks at all to an aging defense and candidates not loving Watson.  

The one difference in the jets this time around, from basically every other gm / hc search, is that darnold is on the roster.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I agree with your point in principle. It's not so much about them taking his job, but that he's comfortable with guys who have been in leadership having a voice. It's always telltale of a lousy leader that they surround themselves with yes-types and lackeys because they can't bear to be challenged. He's obviously not insecure.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, KRL said:

The only good thing Houston did was wait until the media was all tuckered out after destroying the Jets for a few weeks. No real appetite for the Texans. Winning the division helps I suppose.  If the Houston debacle was how the Jets situation played out we would have been ridiculed for years. The laughing stock of the NFL.  Could you imagine if we fired Macc and Douglas we just let Gase be the GM after one Rooney interview? 

That was actually my fear. My immediate thought was that we would be stuck with Gase as the GM. I could not be happier with how this is unfolding and am absolutely behind the firing of Macc and hiring of Douglass and his recent staff.  This is the true turning point for this franchise and I am excited. Houston messed up royally. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Interesting choice. Ballard is the hot new GM, so bringing in a guy who's both familiar with the Jets and who worked under said hot name seems like a positive. The OL church should be happy because he was presumably a part of the reconstruction of that Colts OL. Have to figure Hogan also knows a lot of the scouting department here, and should be very useful helping Douglas with who should be retained and who should be replaced. 

Thats a great point that I did not even think of.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Have to wonder if it speaks at all to an aging defense and candidates not loving Watson.  

The one difference in the jets this time around, from basically every other gm / hc search, is that darnold is on the roster.

I think it's just the stupid direction and power of O'brien. Him and Easterbey want Caserio and that's it.