Chris Johnson’s Comments on Douglas Starting to Bear Fruit

Chris-Johnson.jpg

Just a few weeks ago, Jets acting owner Chris Johnson took a lot of heat from some fans and the media on both the local and national level.  The owner sat and watched his GM spend $120 million, run an entire draft that included the third overall pick, and assemble a roster for an unproven head coach in his first season with the team.  An unprecedented move with all factors taken in to consideration.  

The path to build it was unconventional, but the Jets are putting together a very impressive front office.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) June 18, 2019

Now, just over a month later, Johnson’s words at Douglas’ introductory press conference are bearing fruit, and Jets fans should be excited.

It was during that press conference when Johnson listed the many reasons why he hired Douglas, referencing at one point the many connections Douglas had around the league as a respected executive.  This, Johnson said, would allow Douglas to assemble a talented cast with which to run the team’s front office.  Today, we’re seeing the impact of the GM’s connections.

First, it was announced by NFL insider Ian Rapoport that former Browns GM and Senior Bowl Director Phil Savage would be joining Douglas.  A good hire for a guy who has spent a ton of time watching the best of the best college players as they’ve prepared for NFL auditions.

Then news broke of  another hire in former Ravens Pro Personnel Director Chad Alexander.  Nobody outside of the Raven’s inner circle knows for sure what Alexander’s top decisions have been in Baltimore, but if you can add a football mind who worked under Ozzie Newsome for 20 seasons, with seven of them being his Pro Personnel Director, you make that move.  Of course Douglas and Alexander will be extremely familiar with one another as Douglas also spend over a decade in Baltimore under Newsome.

Last but not least, the Jets are bringing back former executive Rex Hogan, who is expected to be the team’s Assistant General Manager after bolting to spend some time with the Colts after his last stop with the Jets.

Schefter: Jets re-hire Executive Rex Hogan https://t.co/Eifss5zi2h

— JetNation.com (@JetNation) June 18, 2019

How this will play out on the may be an unknown, but Chris Johnson is clearly the man who will be writing the checks for a staff that looks like an all-star cast on paper, meaning these guys won’t be working for peanuts.  Kudos to Johnson for making a bold move to get a respected GM and opening the check book for a front office that looks to be far better than anything the Jets have put together in quite some time.

The post Chris Johnson’s Comments on Douglas Starting to Bear Fruit appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
C2IMnF92Z_Q

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it was because Chris Johnson threw $19 million dollars over six years at a fairly popular figure in the scouting community that made other people in the scouting community say, "hey, I, too, enjoy money."

The Adam Gase effect, baby!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RobR said:

The good news for this franchise keeps rolling in week after week. I feel like I'm living in bizarro land.

MV5BNDAxODE0NDUtNjA0Ny00MWY3LTg1NWEtNWQ5

I’m probably more interested in seeing what the Jets do next offseason than what they do on the field this season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think it was because Chris Johnson threw $19 million dollars over six years at a fairly popular figure in the scouting community that made other people in the scouting community say, "hey, I, too, enjoy money."

I also think Chris Johnson made a very smart move.  (I assume that's the point you were making?)

Whenever I heard the Jets getting criticized for what has transpired since Jan 1, I just ask myself: Did we have a good offseason?

F**k yeah we did. This is a better team with some legitimate NFL talent for once, a better CS by far, and an amazing looking FO filled with what we have been clamoring for seemingly forever, "football guys". 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Whenever I heard the Jets getting criticized for what has transpired since Jan 1, I just ask myself: Did we have a good offseason?

F**k yeah we did. This is a better team with some legitimate NFL talent for once, a better CS by far, and an amazing looking FO filled with what we have been clamoring for seemingly forever, "football guys". 

There’s a weird validation to the fact that we added some really good football players this offseason and still fired Maccagnan. It’s a tough balance between wanting the team to do well, but still wanting the coach or GM that you know is terrible to crash and burn so they move on from him.  It’s completely unfair, but the Bell, Crowder, and Osemele signings feel a lot more coherent than they did when Macc was still employed here.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No doubt. It’s like Gregg Williams said the other day—the timing of these Jets jobs coming open was a huge draw. Gase and Williams were available and damaged just enough to be hireable, and Gase going full Sleepaway Camp on Maccagnan’s front office paved the way for Douglas. A lot of luck was involved, but it’s all working out well

Gase is a dude that lived his life as a chick and killed a bunch of horny teens?

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There’s a weird validation to the fact that we added some really good football players this offseason and still fired Maccagnan. It’s a tough balance between wanting the team to do well, but still wanting the coach or GM that you know is terrible to crash and burn so they move on from him.  It’s completely unfair, but the Bell, Crowder, and Osemele signings feel a lot more coherent than they did when Macc was still employed here.

Bingo. I wanted Mac and Bowles fired so bad I was rooting for my team to lose every week in embarrassing fashion because I knew it was for the greater good. Now they're gone.....the both of them.

It's time to start rooting for wins, division titles, and hopefully in my lifetime the ever elusive Super Bowl. I haven't been this optimistic about the Jets since they brought in Parcells and that was a long time ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, RobR said:

I agree. Douglas was brought in way too late to make any meaningful impact on this years roster. The silver lining for me is if we canned Mac right after the season was over, there is no ******* way they would have been able to build the front office they are putting together now. 

What if Douglas values the Oline more then Mac and gives up a 2nd round pick and Beachem for Trent Williams - will that make enough of an impact?

We have no idea what has been close to being done but ultimately didnt, just like the Lee deal.  Lets hold off a couple weeks before we say Douglas can't have an impact.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

What if Douglas values the Oline more then Mac and gives up a 2nd round pick and Beachem for Trent Williams - will that make enough of an impact?

We have no idea what has been close to being done but ultimately didnt, just like the Lee deal.  Lets hold off a couple weeks before we say Douglas can't have an impact.

His impact at best will be minimal just for the facts that he didn't control the draft or free agency. 

And if he trades a second and Beachum for Williams I will be calling for his head. That would be a gross overpayment when you consider all of the parameters involved.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It’s always a smart move to very publicly overpay your executives.

Smart from what point of view?  P&L?  Or the Jets?

I could care less about Woody's bottom line.  And if the Jets become known as the place where coaches and staff are really well paid, that'd be great.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Thank u!!

Indeed bringing in QUALITY FO folks is making an impact.....................

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Bingo. I wanted Mac and Bowles fired so bad I was rooting for my team to lose every week in embarrassing fashion because I knew it was for the greater good. Now they're gone.....the both of them.

It's time to start rooting for wins, division titles, and hopefully in my lifetime the ever elusive Super Bowl. I haven't been this optimistic about the Jets since they brought in Parcells and that was a long time ago.

Agreed, for me it all turned when Cleveland took Mayfield and the Giants took Barkley.  It was then that god finally smiled on the Jets.  Things have been progressing since then.  I'm still a bit leery of Gase but the front office is a whole lot better now which is a huge thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yep, and Will be totally worth it. Why should only the good players go where the $$ is? Unlike his idiot brother who pissed away millions on bowles and mac, who we both have to thank for pissing away $$ on bad contracts and blowing  valuable draft picks yr in yr out.. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s always a smart move to very publicly overpay your executives.

Just say Douglas stayed put in Philadelphia, then declared himself a GM candidate after this season is over.  Isn’t it universally thought, by lots of the top guys in the league, that this guy is hands down the best candidate to be a rookie GM anywhere?

So when playing that scenario how much less do you think he was going to take than what he got from the Jets if he went elsewhere.

I think Maccagnan and Bowles were taking down 2 mill a piece, still unbelievable to me what I just wrote in this sentence, well anyway if that’s the case Douglas is worth $50 Mill a year.  The extra mill he cops per year over Maccagnan is chump change.

I don’t think of Douglas as being overpaid in the slightest.