Chris Johnson’s Comments on Douglas Starting to Bear Fruit

4 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Just say Douglas stayed put in Philadelphia, then declared himself a GM candidate after this season is over.  Isn’t it universally thought, by lots of the top guys in the league, that this guy is hands down the best candidate to be a rookie GM anywhere?

So when playing that scenario how much less do you think he was going to take than what he got from the Jets if he went elsewhere.

I think Maccagnan and Bowles were taking down 2 mill a piece, still unbelievable to me what I just wrote in this sentence, well anyway if that’s the case Douglas is worth $50 Mill a year.  The extra mill he cops per year over Maccagnan is chump change.

I don’t think of Douglas as being overpaid in the slightest.

I agree with you. I didn’t mean it as a criticism. Rather, I meant that I’m glad they gave  a top of the market contract to a desirable, young candidate and were loud about it. It’s the ultimate recruiting tool down the road and makes them look like a serious organization for once.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I agree with you. I didn’t mean it as a criticism. Rather, I meant that I’m glad they gave  a top of the market contract to a desirable, young candidate and were loud about it. It’s the ultimate recruiting tool down the road and makes them look like a serious organization for once.

Ok thanks, understood, I’m usually in total agreement with what you post, but this one I commented on was because it initially made no sense to me.

What an incredible offseason.  Went from probably the worst Front Office in the league to  one of the best...overnight.  Major props to Christopher Johnson for putting ego aside and probably letting Gase handle most everything tactically.  I’m not sure all these great dominos would have fallen into place like they did if his older brother was home and totally in charge.

Also, I’m thinking that Gase is getting seriously underestimated as a coach by the NY media, and he’s going to surprise lots of people with what he does with the shiny new Franchise QB he never had anything close to in Miami but still was able to make a playoff run and go close to .500.

Jets are going to be a place LOTS of talent will want to come to, on the field and in the front office in coming years.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it was because Chris Johnson threw $19 million dollars over six years at a fairly popular figure in the scouting community that made other people in the scouting community say, "hey, I, too, enjoy money."

Whatever gets them in the door....

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RobR said:

I agree. Douglas was brought in way too late to make any meaningful impact on this years roster. The silver lining for me is if we canned Mac right after the season was over, there is no ******* way they would have been able to build the front office they are putting together now. 

100 percent right, in order to get a strong long lasting franchise we need to have a strong front office.  Fortunately Gase made sure Macc didnt go crazy and we will bear the fruit.

• Sympathy 1