Time to play the "what if" game

Alka

Hard to imagine a better free agency period. Perhaps if Douglas could've gotten us Paradis or Morse that would've been great.

The draft is TBD, but round 1 was a slam dunk. Not the right offseason to play what-if against Mac if you ask me. He really just missed on a center.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The crazy thing is we are going to win 10-11 games this year and make the playoffs.

Gase will win coach of the year.  Quinnin will win rookie of the year.  Darnold will blossom into a franchise qb.  Leveon bell will lead the league in rushing.  Adams, Leo, Mosely, trumaine, the olineman we signed from the raiders and robbie anderson will all make the pro bowl.

and we will marvel at how mac put this all together and why the heck did we get rid of this genius. 

So your wet dream is for Jets fans to regret that we fired Macc?

Let's say all of those things you say come true.  That fawning for Macc finally getting this roster building thing correct in Year 5 will evaporate very quickly when it dawns on everybody that we will need a new LT, LG, C, RG, RB1, WR1/WR2 and Slot by 2021. 

Basically Macc set this team up to where the only current offensive players still on the team in 2021 will be Darnold, Herndon, oft-injured Enunwa and an unknown in Edoga.  But of course we all know that that's a great way to support a young franchise QB, right?  Instability?  

31 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Hard to imagine a better free agency period. Perhaps if Douglas could've gotten us Paradis or Morse that would've been great.

I can imagine a better free agency period.  One where we landed a talented, still young pass-rusher like Preston Smith or Za'Darius Smith instead of spending heavy money on an ILB that struggles in pass coverage. 

• Upvote 1

The only move that seems like it obviously wouldn't have happened is the Bell signing.

Even though Gase loves Mosely (and I'd guess Douglas does too) that might not have happened at that price tag either.

I'd guess we do sign a Center -- seemed like our failure to do so was another point of contention with Gase. Douglas also clearly values the offensive line -- wouldn't shock me if instead of Bell and possibly Mosely we went after whoever the biggest OL prospects were.

Douglas' affinity for hard working obsessed with football types makes me think maybe we take Chase Winovich over Polite in the third round.

Most other moves seem like they would have been similar. Wesco feels like a Gase pick and there's no reason to think Quinnen wouldn't have still been the pick at 3. Crowder feels like a Gase pick too.

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can imagine a better free agency period.  One where we landed a talented, still young pass-rusher like Preston Smith or Za'Darius Smith instead of spending heavy money on an ILB that struggles in pass coverage. 

Those guys got beyond paid and haven't done much to earn it given their production (Preston with 4 sacks last year, Za'Darius with 8.5). Jordan Jenkins had 7 sacks last year, are we about to throw him 66 million?

CJ Mosley is one of the best players at his position and will change the entire front 7. He's also what - 6 months younger than those guys?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alka said:

What if the current GM and his staff were in place at the beginning of 2019, before the draft and free agency began?

I actually like most of the moves made by Macc this offseason, with the exception of the lack of center, edge rusher and cornerback.

Still love that we got:  CJ Moseley, Crowder, our running back.  Love getting Q Wiliams, Polite seems to be a decent pick in round 3, like our new tight end in round 4.  Love our trade for Osemele for a 5th round pick for left tackle.

How much better would Douglas have done?  

Of course we'll never know, but would Douglas have been able to plug all the holes and still get the quality players that we seemed to have gotten?

One guarantee is the Jets would have Josh Allen with the above fantasy land "what if" game. 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The only move that seems like it obviously wouldn't have happened is the Bell signing.

Even though Gase loves Mosely (and I'd guess Douglas does too) that might not have happened at that price tag either.

I'd guess we do sign a Center -- seemed like our failure to do so was another point of contention with Gase. Douglas also clearly values the offensive line -- wouldn't shock me if instead of Bell and possibly Mosely we went after whoever the biggest OL prospects were.

Douglas' affinity for hard working obsessed with football types makes me think maybe we take Chase Winovich over Polite in the third round.

Most other moves seem like they would have been similar. Wesco feels like a Gase pick and there's no reason to think Quinnen wouldn't have still been the pick at 3. Crowder feels like a Gase pick too.

I agree that perhaps we would have never signed Bell, and we probably do get the center we wanted.

Maybe we trade down in the first round and never get Q Williams.

I believe that we had a solid offseason, but certainly failed in filling holes that needed to be filled.

But still, getting Q Williams and Bell might just work out in the end, and perhaps having Macc as our GM this past offseason and draft may work out for us.

Or maybe we will be rolling our eyes because the players we got did not work out for us.

Or maybe things worked out perfectly for us, having Macc, then firing him and getting Douglas with all perfect timing.

The beauty of playing the "what if" game is that we will find out all of the answers of the players we got soon enough.  

Those guys got beyond paid and haven't done much to earn it given their production (Preston with 4 sacks last year, Za'Darius with 8.5). Jordan Jenkins had 7 sacks last year, are we about to throw him 66 million?
CJ Mosley is one of the best players at his position and will change the entire front 7. He's also what - 6 months younger than those guys?

You need to take shots at pass rushers even if you have to overpay them. When your GM fails to draft them that’s the price you pay.

Mosley is very good at what he does, but he isn’t transforming our defense. We have a lot of good tacklers with good football instincts. We need QB pressure and turnovers.

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only edge rusher that was legitimately available in the off-season was Justin Houston 

The rest of those guys can’t sniff the qb 

On 6/19/2019 at 9:12 AM, Alka said:

What if the current GM and his staff were in place at the beginning of 2019, before the draft and free agency began?

I actually like most of the moves made by Macc this offseason, with the exception of the lack of center, edge rusher and cornerback.

Still love that we got:  CJ Moseley, Crowder, our running back.  Love getting Q Wiliams, Polite seems to be a decent pick in round 3, like our new tight end in round 4.  Love our trade for Osemele for a 5th round pick for left tackle.

How much better would Douglas have done?  

Of course we'll never know, but would Douglas have been able to plug all the holes and still get the quality players that we seemed to have gotten?

I think Gase and Johnson going through the draft and beginning of FA is what caused the change in our FO.  Last year was Johnsons first year being involved so he didn't know anything else.  Did Bowles raise concerns to Johnson? Were the same concerns raised by Gase? New concerns brought up about how things should be done? 

One thing I know for sure is that management has to be pulling in the same direction to succeed. It appeared from the outside anyway that Macc was working in a silo(with input from Johnson?) and the rest of the organization was left to deal with the decisions that he thought was best for the organization. 

I wont go into the what ifs.  I do think that the timing of Maccs firing was because Gase knew he had Douglas for the Jets. I mean, look at the Texans...

5 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

I think Gase and Johnson going through the draft and beginning of FA is what caused the change in our FO.  Last year was Johnsons first year being involved so he didn't know anything else.  Did Bowles raise concerns to Johnson? Were the same concerns raised by Gase? New concerns brought up about how things should be done? 

One thing I know for sure is that management has to be pulling in the same direction to succeed. It appeared from the outside anyway that Macc was working in a silo(with input from Johnson?) and the rest of the organization was left to deal with the decisions that he thought was best for the organization. 

I wont go into the what ifs.  I do think that the timing of Maccs firing was because Gase knew he had Douglas for the Jets. I mean, look at the Texans...

You raise a great point in that if Macc was fired before the year began, we might not have Douglas and his hires. I guess everything happens for a reason, and we should be happy to accept what is, since "what is" is a big huge step in the right direction for this franchise.

I have been a Jets fan for 50 years now, and I am truly excited for the first time in a very long time in our ability to acquire the right players for the future. 

• Upvote 1

mac got some good players but it's hard to say he got the best value for what he spent.  he went in with a boatload of cap space and pretty much spent all he could.  the jets still have a good cap number.  but he didn't fill a cb spot nor did he fill the center spot.  maybe harrison will be a decent center but it would've been better to go into the season with a more proven commodity.  and while bell was a great player with the steelers, he did take a season off (both good and bad), and it's hard to say if gase's offense will actually utilize bell as much as his price tag warrants.