Oilers @ Jets 1991/ second half

I got stuck in a worm hole after the Blair Thomas talk earlier. lol  This was a really good team and we were kind of loaded when you think about it.  Offense of Toon, Moore, Burkett Mathis (3 men and a baby) Blair, Baxter Kenny O.  

Defense, Mcmillian, Lonnie Young, Hasty, Byrd, Brim, Clifton, Lageman etc. 

We had a lot of good pieces here. Too bad it never worked out overall.  If you have the time. The first offensive drive is pretty good until the bad playcalling at the end. :) 

Edit:  There's also a shot of Fireman Ed with hair, lol 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Was this the game the Oiler coaches almost came to blows?  (Despite smacking us around)

No this is a different game.  I'm still watching it lol 

There is some good stuff to watch. Tony Stargell sucked so bad.  Kenny O over throwing wide open WR's.  We had talent but you can see why we didn't make it imo.  Young Mo Lewis running around too.  Good stuff. 

Bruce Coslett years?

Yep. That was the year we beat Miami week
17 on the raul allegre fg at the buzzer to get into the playoffs. When I posted it I thought it was a win for some reason. I watched pretty much the whole thing and was disappointed all over again when we blew the game. lol

That frustrating team got one more on me today!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jetsons said:

Just a reminder of how Annoying it was to listen to Paul Maguire... WoW

Give the man credit though.  He did call it that we'd fall apart in 1986.  Though I can't find that footage on YouTube I do know he was calling for it.

91’ was a hard team to figure out.  They should have gone 10-6 or so.  Blair Thomas fumbling then Leahy missing a chip shot in Chicago.  Late blown lead to the Bills at home.  Think a 6-3 loss to the Pats in which they blew multiple chances.  Might have been a loss to the colts in which they should have won.  Don’t remember anyone being shocked they played Houston tough, they were competitive most of the season despite the record.  Remember being all fired up for the ‘92 season.   Coming off this wild card birth, undefeated in the preseason w/ rocket armed young QB.  NY press was even pumping them up as taking over NY football with Parcells gone.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:36 PM, More Cowbell said:

We had an 8-8 record and backed into the playoffs that year. I thought the Oilers were going to rip us a new one. Turned out to be a close game. 

It's funny because I thought the Oilers did rip us a new one in that playoff game.  I thought it was like 24-0 and ended something like 24-10.  Turns out we only lost 17-10.

I can't believe that 1991 (a year where we made the playoffs) was also the year of that MNF Bears debacle.  It's funny because I don't really even remember what happened in that game but I do remember feeling absolutely miserable about the franchise after that game (peak "SOJ").  

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Heh, nope, not another fight.  I was thinking about the one you mentioned (Buddy vs Gilbride).  

Yeah, thats the one we all remember.  I think that was during a Jets game a couple of years later, 93 ish.

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's funny because I thought the Oilers did rip us a new one in that playoff game.  I thought it was like 24-0 and ended something like 24-10.  Turns out we only lost 17-10.

I can't believe that 1991 (a year where we made the playoffs) was also the year of that MNF Bears debacle.  It's funny because I don't really even remember what happened in that game but I do remember feeling absolutely miserable about the franchise after that game (peak "SOJ").  

What I remember is actually kind of funny. Being this was a Monday night game, it was late at night while they were playing because I think back then, they started at 9 PM so I'm in the livingroom  of my apartment  and I am cheering the Jets on very loudly with my then wife and my neighbor is banging on the wall for us to keep it down. After he banged a third time my wife picked up a book and threw it at the wall and the guy just lost it, banging and screaming at once. The two of us nearly broke ribs from laughing  so hard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/20/2019 at 9:55 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Give the man credit though.  He did call it that we'd fall apart in 1986.  Though I can't find that footage on YouTube I do know he was calling for it.

He didn’t know what he was talking about. He was picking against the Jets from very early in the season, by the end of the year the Jets were decimated with injuries which caught up with them.

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

What I remember is actually kind of funny. Being this was a Monday night game, it was late at night while they were playing because I think back then, they started at 9 PM so I'm in the livingroom  of my apartment  and I am cheering the Jets on very loudly with my then wife and my neighbor is banging on the wall for us to keep it down. After he banged a third time my wife picked up a book and threw it at the wall and the guy just lost it, banging and screaming at once. The two of us nearly broke ribs from laughing  so hard. 

?

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 2:36 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Was this the game the Oiler coaches almost came to blows?  (Despite smacking us around)

That was the 1993 finale where we had a win and in game at Houston while Houston had nothing to play for and they beat us 24-0.  Last game of the Coslet era.

On 6/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, section314 said:

Didn't we play them in the playoffs that year? The game where we had that great 4th qt drive for like 7 minutes and O'Brien threw a duck down on the 5 yard line that got picked off?

Yes, we lost 17-10.  Had a million opportunities, I think we got stopped 4th and short deep in Houston territory twice and O'Brien had an int deep in Houston territory.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:36 PM, More Cowbell said:

We had an 8-8 record and backed into the playoffs that year. I thought the Oilers were going to rip us a new one. Turned out to be a close game. 

8-8 is not a great record but how is going to Miami in a win and in game for both teams "backing in"?

• Sympathy 1

8-8 is not a great record but how is going to Miami in a win and in game for both teams "backing in"?

Right. 8-8 wasn’t the best way to do it but that game was for all the marbles for the phins abd the Jets. Whoever won was In. Can’t get much better than that.

The same year the miners were 11-5 and didn’t make the playoffs. The days of NFC superiority. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app