WowOhWow

MetLife Atmosphere

Non-season-ticket holder‘s watching games on TV should get off the couch once or twice a season and buy up the 3,000 available tickets on Stubhub that PSL owners have graciously put up for sale for you to buy.

That’s what keeps enemy fans out.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ECURB said:

Yeah the old place just screams NY JETS football... Please stop. The old stadium was a worn out POS that looked like the JETS slapped a banner on and were a JV team. 

sheags.jpg

They romanticize the past instead of remembering how awful it was. A baseball diamond, a Montreal Expos banner, and a red/blue themed building called “Giants” were atrocious places that we didn’t own or feel at home in. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, ECURB said:

They would rather complain that it isn't green enough. LOL

Everyone loved the stadium on opening day 2011, remember? The Jets were AFC elite and we had found our franchise quarterback, and we had our bombastic HC, and everyone was so happy. The place was filled with green and white Jets fans cheering their little hearts out, nary a single enemy fan in the place.

And exactly a year later, the entire upper deck emptied out because they had no PSL’s, no commitment, no loyalty, and didn’t want to be there for the hard times.

Well, hard times are over. And they aren’t welcome.  Those of us who didn’t quit on the team are getting our reward. They are getting our table scraps on Stubhub.  Justice.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

17 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Additionally having high end club seats mid field at field level instead of second tier like most stadiums kills the atmosphere. Leaves the section closest to the field half empty and dead quiet as all the bouggies sit inside the club.

You just described Gillette Stadium to a tee. 

How the Pats doing?

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

The Final piece would be a brand new Football stadium on Long Island - heck put it in Suffolk County. Jets are a Long Island team! Thats where their fan base lives and that's where they belong. Wont happen in my lifetime but I can always dream.

That’s where their fanbase was

The Shea Stadium season ticket holders who were 45 in 1983 are 81 years old now.   Think about that.

The Jets are a New Jersey team now.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, ECURB said:

They would rather complain that it isn't green enough. LOL

Jets have 3 consecutive early-season home games for the first time since forever.

Jets beat Denver and Indianapolis handily in the first two weeks. 

Sam Darnold looks great and getting rave reviews for his performances league-wide.

The Minnesota Vikings come to town, Kirk Cousins who spit in our faces is here, they’re giving away limited edition bobbleheads for the kids, and it’s sunny. 

After back to back home games, some season ticket holders can’t do it a third time and put their tickets up on Stubhub discounted an average of 40% off of face value.  Good seats are as low as $49 and many as low as $29.

And the place is filled with Vikings fans.  And the cheapskate Jets fans sitting on their couches blame those of us who show up when they should be blaming themselves.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:47 PM, T0mShane said:

Last year’s gf bought us tickets to a Jets game and I had to feign excitement over this tone-deaf development while at the same time dying on the inside because I knew she paid retail instead of the $8 per you can find them for on StubHub. Anyway, we get to the game and we’re sitting four rows back on the visitor’s sideline and it’s cold and we’re in one of the 250 TV timeouts where the players just mill about on the field and chitchat with each other about golf or strippers or whatever, and then they squeeze in a few plays before a challenge flag flies and there’s another stoppage. At the eight minute mark of the second quarter, the gf asks me where “all the people went,” referring to the club seats on the other side of the field and I had to explain to her that those seats weren’t occupied by actual fans, but were instead owned by Citibank and the like, and those fine folks only show up to the stadium to entertain lower-tier clients for an hour and then flee for the exits once their sales pitches were over. At halftime, I figured I should show her the stadium, so we walked through the concourse and had to do that weird sh*t where you kept having to take escalators down and up for some reason. She said it was “very gray.” We found beer and ate very cold, wet pretzels until the second half started and the stadium had mostly cleared out except for opposing fans who were incredulous that the lower bowl was so quiet you could actually hear the click-click-click of people texting each other. When the game mercifully ended, we all marched to the parking lot with those opposing fans trying to talk sh*t to people in Santonio Holmes jerseys who just kinda shrugged as if to say, “yes, I’m aware we suck.” And then there was the traffic and the tolls and trying to get the stale pretzel taste out of our mouths. 

They pay for 1 measly game a year every 2 years.

They complain about the rest of us who pay for 10.

Someday, they'll come to the understanding that the culture change at the stadium starts with them, not us.  They're the ones whose voices are missing.  They're the ones who wouldn't be texting.  They're the ones who'd show up in their shiny new Jets jerseys.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/21/2019 at 12:02 AM, 20andOut said:

Did I say the stadium was the reason for the on field performance? No, I did not.

In fact I am sure the opposite is true. If they are winning more of those club seat holders would be in their seats instead of the club, and more demand for tickets by local fans would keep out opponent fans.

As for Gillette, have never been and have no intention of going. 

I took your post to be a criticism of MetLife and was pointing out that every modern stadium in the NFL has the seats between the 20's reserved for Club's and Suites whose occupants tend to no-show or act very distracted.  Apologies if you were generalizing.

SAR I

On 6/21/2019 at 7:39 AM, BCJet said:

That being said, the stadium design will never give us the same acoustic advantage as the old stadium. Ive been going to games for a long time and the 2009 game vs the pats was the loudest Ive ever heard the stadium.  That simply can't happen again due to the logistics.

The reason seattle's stadium is so loud is that it was specifically designed to hold noise in - thats what you get when your owner is a genius.  Our stadium is modeled after a soccer stadium, where noise doesnt matter and actually was built in a way that lets crowd noise escape.  Thats what you get when Woody Johnson is the owner (ie NOT a genius).

Maybe we will have a new stadium in 10 years but for now it is what it is.

thisvsthat.jpg

That's a whole pile of anti-MetLife mythology right there.  The geometry of MetLife is practically identical to Giants Stadium, the lower level and mezzanine are very comparable.  The upper deck has been elevated 30 feet to accommodate suites and increase capacity by about 8,000 seats, that's about it.

I was at the 2009 Pats game too and the 2015 Pats game was just as loud, perhaps louder.  Same for several games during the 2010 season and early in the 2011 season when we were AFC elite and the place was packed with Jets fans.

CentryLink Field is a strange comparison as it has domes over the seating areas which of course amplifies the sound.  It only holds 69,000 fans where MetLife holds 82,500.  It takes no "genius" to make a small stadium sound as loud as a big stadium while adding weather protection.  The stadium was designed by the Mara's as well as the Johnson's, and they surely are "geniuses" as both the Giants and Jets have been Top 5 in attendance since MetLife was opened, the Jets being #2 in the entire NFL last year.  This isn't Seattle (rain) or Houston (humidity) or Detroit (ice).  New Jersey climates are quite favorable for an open stadium, and being the country's largest market allows the teams to have more fans in the place.

Here's the truth:  MetLife Stadium is as loud as any stadium in the NFL when Jets fans show up.  And since Christmas 2011 when Victor Cruz went 99 yards on Rex Ryan's porous defense, the entire upper deck was abandoned by all the Giants Stadium fans who took the cheap way out, didn't pay a $3 PSL, and let their season ticket subscriptions die.  The so-called "issue" with MetLife Stadium is fairweather fans who pretend to be "diehard since 1985" on social media yet won't open their wallets to spend the whopping $20 on Stubhub to go to any game they like.  If you must be unhappy about MetLife, it's the fairweather fans that are the problem, not the team, not ownership, and not the loyal PSL holders who have bought tickets during the last 8 dark years.

SAR I

On 6/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, jetscrazey said:

Nobody is saying anything good about the aesthetics of the old stadium.  Or the fact that the Jets were tenants and not co-owners like in the new stadiium.

However, it can't be denied that 1) The acoustics of the old stadium were better in terms of making things tough on the opponent and 2) The true fans were closer to the action.

1.  It can be denied that the acoustics of the old stadium were better because you have people who have been at both stadiums in this thread telling you they were equally loud.  And, it should be mentioned, equally dead because of no-shows.  Jets fans are Jets fans no matter the venue.  Very few of us show up in the tough times.  Everyone shows up in the good times.  Problem is, too many of them act like they were there the whole time.

2.  "True fans" sold half their tickets to ticket brokers for 2x or 4x face value and attended the other half of the games for free.  They weren't true fans.  They were opportunists.  I know several of them.  They don't have season tickets anymore because the gravy train ended.

SAR I

On 6/21/2019 at 5:04 PM, Ghost said:

I can’t even stand up to cheer anymore without someone yelling at me telling me to sit down. The place needs Fireman Ed back. He had the stadium rocking. 

Stand up and cheer on a big play.  Happens 10 times a game.  The other 80 plays?  Sit down.  No one behind you wants to stand up simply because you feel you should.  Voices don't get louder when you stand up.  Do your cheering in your seat.

Fireman Ed was a fraud.  Led a chant that got old and boring and pouted like a child when he was ignored, threw a hissy fit, and tried to embarrass us on national TV at one of the lowest points in franchise history.  Shame on him.  And then he tries to creep back into our good graces?  LOL.  Not happening.  His sad parade of old drunks were all replaced by smart people who aren't as gullible.

SAR I

On 6/21/2019 at 6:49 PM, Larz said:

I was at the colts game last year and it was a good crowd 

Yes.  Same for the Denver game, same for the Dolphins game. 

I'm convinced that the people complaining about the crowds watch TV's that are so old they have really crappy speakers.  "I'm disappointed by the crowd".  Really?  Then show up to the games and make a difference.  Otherwise, shut up.

SAR I

On 6/22/2019 at 3:12 AM, joebabyny said:

Hmmm, I will say I had season on the top of the upper deck at Giant stadium, and I am in row 31 of the lowers in MetLife, and I do feel MetLife is not as loud. It is quite obvious to anyone who is at games these days and was regularly at games at Giants stadium that the number of Jets chants is significantly less. It really died when Ed left. Nobody else was really able to take it over and it really impacted the crowd noise and involvement by a huge amount. On those rare occasions when he made an appearance the last 2 seasons, you could immediately feel the difference.

Stop with the Ed stuff.  Ed never made a difference in getting the crowd up.  He did his stupid chant after we scored.  It was a celebration of a TD while in a TV timeout, it didn't pump anyone up.

What got the crowd pumped up was consistent strong play on the field.  Which really only happened for half of Pennington's seasons and a few of Sanchez' seasons.  Outside of that, it's been a bad product on the field and thus bad crowd participation.

What "died" wasn't Ed leaving.  That Thanksgiving game was truly the nail in the coffin for the '09 and '10 teams and from that point forward all the Giants Stadium fans who didn't pay for PSL's and ran to the upper deck gave up their season tickets.  Because they could.  And that's fine.  But they should keep their mouths shut until they start paying up and showing up again.  Which they will when we start winning again.  Fairweather fans are like that.

SAR I

On 6/22/2019 at 3:16 AM, joebabyny said:

Oh and as far as comparing old and new stadiums..... for non club fans, the concessions aren’t drastically better, and the spirals were pretty ingenious. It was always easy to quickly get out with the three sets of escalators at every spiral going directly to each level. And walking those spirals was much quicker than any of the stadiums with the long back and forth ramps. 

Wrong.  And it had nothing to do with the spirals or ramps.

Giants Stadium had an open floorplan that allowed people to use the interior concourses to loop the entire facility.  So people parking near Gate A would jog inside the stadium to get to Gate C and it would cause a huge mess of people running in opposite directions and running people over, it was awful, you really had to pay attention so you didn't get hit in the face by some drunk from Staten Island.

MetLife Stadium is cut into 4 distinct sections and at the end of a game everyone is headed in the same direction and there is none of that congestion.  It also prevents people from visiting their friends in other sections because it takes so long to get from one end to the other.  Keeps fans in their seats cheering and stops all the extra-curriculars.

SAR I

3 hours ago, 20andOut said:

This is not the slightest bit true. I don't think you could have attended games at both stadiums and have made this statement. I have had season tickets in both stadiums and sat in all three levels of both. In addition to the extra levels of club seats raising the upper deck at least 30 feet, at Met life the 2nd and third levels are stepped back as opposed to being stacked over one another at Giants Stadium. The net effect being that the upper deck is MUCH further from the field then at Metlife. As much as I hated playing in "Giants" stadium, while it was a very bare bones stadium there was not a bad seat in that building.

Upper deckers get what they pay for and if they are pushed up and back that's too bad.  There are 55,500 much better seats in the mezzanine and lower levels, they just need to spend the extra few dollars.

Look at the photo I posted earlier, as someone who has lived in the mezzanine for the last 20 seasons the pushback isn't that much, we're talking about a few feet at most.  And there are more seats in the lower level.  And there are 8,000 more fans in the building overall.  The end result is that even though the upper deck is a little further back you have more Jets fans closer to the field than you had in Giants Stadium. 

And take a look at the smaller, open-ended stadiums in the league like New England and Pittsburgh and MetLife is definitely louder than those.  And take into account that we are in New York, a huge tourist destination, and we're destined to have a lot of enmy fans in our building.  But trust me, when the day comes that a huge defensive stand needs to happen at home to propel the Jets into the playoffs or beyond, the place will be as noisy as Seattle or MSG.  It was that way in 2015, it will be that way again. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fixed.

Internet has changed it all.  In the old days you wanted to dump out tickets for whatever reason you sold them to someone you knew or someone who knows someone you know.  Key is someone local.  Better chance of the tix going to a Jet fan than if someone can by them online through a service and the tix sent to you in an email

726,000 = Minneapolis/St. Paul Twin Cities Population

19,980,000 = NYC Metro Area Population

Internet or not, NY area sports fans outnumber Twin Cities area sports fans 27-to-1.  And when for the average Jets game there are only 8,000 seats available on Stubhub with ticket prices below face value in the range of a staggering 30% to 80% off, there is no excuse whatsoever for non-season ticket holding Jets fans not to scoop them up.

The issue isn't season ticket holders who can't physically attend 10 games a year.  The issue is non-season ticket holders too cheap to attend 1 game a year. 

In the case of the Vikings game, it's dumbfounding.  Darnold.  Two straight wins against Denver and Indy.  Marvel bobblehead giveaway.  1pm.  Good weather.  Tickets at flea-market prices.  And the place had its typical 10% to 15% of enemy fans. Unacceptable.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Cant agree.  There wasnt the same opportunity to see tix to a fan of the visiting team.  How many Bills fans live in NYC, how many Cots fans, who many Oiler fans, Jag fans? 

Ignore the fact that easiest way to sell tix, to reach as many buyers as possible is on the internet.  I've done it a handful of times, the few games I actually have missed because its as easy as it gets, you dont have to talk to anyone or negotiate a price.  Truth is I have no idea who bought them.  Unlike the couple a games tix I sold before the net

Back in the pre-internet era, the people sitting next to me at Giants Stadium games wearing Dolphins, Bills, Patriots, Steelers, or 49ers colors told me time and time again "I live on Long Island and I got these tickets from my neighbor".

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Back in the pre internet days the couple of games I missed if I usually sold or better yet game the Tix to a Jets fan I knew.

Today if I didn't know anyone who wanted to go the Internet it too easy.  

Also need to understand when they opened MTS & added PSLs, like it or not, lots of fans on fixed incomes or on principle didn't sign up.  May have been an opportunity for people who didn't want to wait on a lengthy waiting list like in the past but also allowed casual fans and non Jets fans to buy tix.  They don't give a damn who buys the tix. 

There is a particular breed of entitled Giants Stadium fans who were incredibly selfish then and are incredibly selfish now.  Most of the whining in threads like this one are from them.

Back when they had season tickets, life was great because they had the best seats in the house and they were not only free, they were a profit center!  They inherited these seats from their fathers, they sold half the tickets to brokers for 2x or 5x face value, and essentially got paid to attend 4 Jets games a year.  I know several fans like this from my days as a season ticket holder at GS, one  used to brag how he bought a car with the money the brokers were paying him, another was using it as tuition for his kids college.  And the brokers sold those tickets to, you guessed it, enemy fans.

Today, those same Giants Stadium opportunists with all the good seats refused to reciprocate decades of being paid to attend Jets games with (wait for it) actually spending money.  So they said no to the PSL's, but took a flyer on upper deck seats.  But when it was clear that the playoff runs were over, and with no PSLs to tie them down, off they went, disappearing to their basements and their TV's.  27,000 missing voices. 

And now they have the audacity to blame the existing season ticket holders for some lack of enthusiasm or some allowance of enemy colors in the stadium.  The truth?  They're mad that they aren't being paid by ticket brokers anymore and the gravy train has ended.  Watch them scurry like rats to buy season tickets again the first time Gase and Darnold make the playoffs.  Watch the Jets announce "10,000 upper deck subscriptions sold in a week" this February or next.

Me, and the other 18,000 people on the 1980's and 1990's waiting list?  We're happy as a clam because after decades of being blocked by selfish profiteers we got the good seats now and after 8 years of pain the Jets are about to turn it around.  It's awesome.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

For anyone new to the site, who hasn't blocked SAR yet, just understand this guy has admittedly sold 2 or 3 games a year every season so I honestly have no idea what hes talking about.

The other great thing is that you referenced how the Jets and Giants are in the top % of overall league attendance - um, you think that could be because the NYC metro area has millions more people then Minnesota or Seattle?  You actually posted population numbers and then cite attendance as if its a reflection of the stadium or the team.

PSL GOLD!

All PSL owners, can't physically attend 10 games a year, sometimes we travel for business and sometimes we have a family obligations.  So we put our tickets up for sale on Stubhub below face value for Jets fans on tight budgets to enjoy.  Not sure why you view that as a problem.  We pay, in full, face value, for 10 games a year.  For games we can't attend, we can make a few dollars back and help a fellow Jets fan get into a good seat at a discount.  That's all good.

We have millions more fans so we built a stadium that could hold 20,000 more of them than Seattle or Pittsburgh ever could.  That's why it is as big as it is.  That's why it has completely enclosed endzones and lacks some so-called 'charm' like Gillette's food court apparently does.  Somehow a tiny stadium in a blah town like Seattle is worthy of emulating?  LOL, no.

The takeaway you should have is that despite being a pathetic, last-place franchise for the past 3 seasons, and despite having a stadium that (theoretically) fans don't think is special, the Jets are still #1 in the AFC in attendance.  It means the Johnson's got it right.  It means that loyal Jets fans buy tickets and loyal Jets fans attend games.  The ones that don't?  No excuse for them at all.  No excuse to not spend $30 to see a Jets game at 1pm on a nice Sunday.  Fans like that don't deserve tickets at all, and when they try scurrying back into the fold when the Jets start making playoff runs, good luck with that, and remember to say thank you to the table scraps PSL owners throw on the floor for you.

PSL's are gold.  PSL's got rid of the profiteers selling off tickets to brokers and ticket agencies advertising in the back of the NY Post and NY Daily News every day for 30 years.  PSL's got the waitlisters into the seats they deserved.  It was never about the money to us.  It was about getting our hands on the good seats, finally.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

SARs heart is in the right place, but he just can't help sounding like an epic douchebag when he tries to make points. It's a deep seated inferiority complex of some sort. Whatever. Who gives a ****. If the team is GOOD for a change, who cares about the building?

I think it's a superiority complex, actually.

Agreed on the building.  All seating bowls are the same.  All that matters are how many Jets fans are in them.  And we are #2 in the entire NFL which is pretty damned amazing considering we haven't sniffed the playoffs in almost a decade.

SAR I

31 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

How else would you describe that guys schtick? I think I was quite accurate. 

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but to PSL owners, most of whom were on the waiting list for 18+ years, it was not about the money.  It was about getting seats in our name after waiting an eternity.  Period.  For some bizarre reason, they care about how others spend their money, they've been waiting a decade for one of us to say "man, PSL's were a waste, I was ripped off" and none of us do.  Because none of us feel that way.  Even today, less than 3% of all PSL's sold in 2008 are up for sale on the popular resale sites.  Why?  Because it was never about the money.  It was about access.

The people who make it all about the money, the ones with the shtick, are those who don't attend games.  They use the "big bad PSL" as an excuse not to go to MetLife "because its too expensive" as if we all don't use Stubhub and know that tickets are cheaper than a case of beer.  They're full of sh-t and they know it.  I'll be thinking of them as I sit in my Mezz A palace, watching the confetti fly and the AFC Championship trophy hoisted.

SAR I

5 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

YOU

👏

SELL

👏

YOUR

👏

TICKETS

👏

TO

👏

OPPOSING

👏

FANS

I

LIST

TICKETS

ON

STUBHUB

BELOW

FACE

VALUE

FOR

YOUNG

JETS

FANS

TO

BUY.

SAR I

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Internet sales are anonymous.  Nobody knows who is buying their tickets.  The old days are gone.  Get over it.  When anyone sells tickets on Stub Hub or the other internet ticket sites, you do not get to chose your buyer.  You are living in the past if you think pointing your finger at a season ticket holder for selling tickets on stub hub or ticket master is some kind of "wrong" thing for a Jets fan to do.  You and a few others just love this incredibly false narrative.  

Complete nonsense.  I wish people would stop this incessant bullsh*t that they have been whining about for the last 10 years.   If people are tired of seeing so many opposing fans, especially the loud complainers here who are NOT season ticket holders (and being a former season ticket holder doesn't excuse anyone), then buy some tickets and fill those seats.  

Otherwise they should STFU and get off their slippery soap box.

Exactly the point.

The ones complaining about "enemy fans" from their couches are the ones who should be occupying the seats.  I've said it a few times I'll say it again:  Show Up Or Shut Up.

SAR I

5 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Thanks for your post with multiple paragraphs of pontificating garbage, which might be the only thing in this thread that sucks harder than SAR. Kudos.

Let's hate all the PSL holders because, after all, our offense is supporting the team. 

If you, or anyone else, has an issue with the 2-3 games a year that I cannot attend and sell on Stubhub, by all means, PM me, I'll be happy to sell them to you at full price and then you can decide where they go.  I take a loss of about $250 on every Jets game I couldn't attend in the last 8 miserable seasons.  Write me a check every time I can't go and I'll be happy to do whatever you like with them.

It's amazing the lengths people will go to to tell PSL owners what to do with our money.  Easy solution.  Buy us out.

SAR I

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Considering what that's resulted in, yeah I'd say it's a legit gripe against you.

Yes, the Jets have wasted our time and our money, no question.

But so too did my New York Rangers, and after all those years of suffering at the hands of those bastards from Long Island, it was all worth every penny.  So too shall be for my New York Jets.  Darnold, Adams, Gase, Williams, Douglas.  We are on our way.  7 months from now there won't be a single complaint about the stadium except for the fact that it's so hard to find tickets.  It's happening.

SAR I

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

Unlike you, I also attend every game.  Your corporate shillness is rivaled only by your hypocrisy.

I won't be able to attend every game this year.  PM me. 

I look forward to you buying my tickets for the 2-3 games a year I can't attend for the 20 year remainder of the seat license period.  Much better this way.  I get 100% of my money back and you get a 100% guarantee that only Jets fans will sit in my seats.  Win win.

SAR I

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company