A successful team, which we should be, will undoubtedly make the atmosphere better.

That being said, the stadium design will never give us the same acoustic advantage as the old stadium. Ive been going to games for a long time and the 2009 game vs the pats was the loudest Ive ever heard the stadium.  That simply can't happen again due to the logistics.

The reason seattle's stadium is so loud is that it was specifically designed to hold noise in - thats what you get when your owner is a genius.  Our stadium is modeled after a soccer stadium, where noise doesnt matter and actually was built in a way that lets crowd noise escape.  Thats what you get when Woody Johnson is the owner (ie NOT a genius).

Maybe we will have a new stadium in 10 years but for now it is what it is.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, BCJet said:

A successful team, which we should be, will undoubtedly make the atmosphere better.

That being said, the stadium design will never give us the same acoustic advantage as the old stadium. Ive been going to games for a long time and the 2009 game vs the pats was the loudest Ive ever heard the stadium.  That simply can't happen again due to the logistics.

The reason seattle's stadium is so loud is that it was specifically designed to hold noise in - thats what you get when your owner is a genius.  Our stadium is modeled after a soccer stadium, where noise doesnt matter and actually was built in a way that lets crowd noise escape.  Thats what you get when Woody Johnson is the owner (ie NOT a genius).

You are just wrong. The noise on the field (where it matters btw) is regularly in the 90-100db range. Same or better than most stadiums.

Before you waste time going to Google The Seahawks, yes they hit in the 130s one time for one blip of time.

130s causes hearing damage so I'm all set at 93db.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Took a German au pair and it was frigid and I paid 5 bucks each for seats in the first few rows of Mezz A.

Did you buy them on StubHub?  

Investment Gold 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, ECURB said:

Yeah the old place just screams NY JETS football... Please stop. The old stadium was a worn out POS that looked like the JETS slapped a banner on and were a JV team. The new stadium is bland... Who cares... It is as loud as the JETS are winning.

NY-Jets-40-11x14-StadiumArtCom-2048px_Store__91083.1528950767.jpg

Nobody is saying anything good about the aesthetics of the old stadium.  Or the fact that the Jets were tenants and not co-owners like in the new stadiium.

However, it can't be denied that 1) The acoustics of the old stadium were better in terms of making things tough on the opponent and 2) The true fans were closer to the action.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s right. Two years ago. What happened to the au pair? 

I was at that game two years ago. I believe it was a very low scoring game and the Powell broke a long run to the house? Anyways, I remember taking my brother and his two kids. I payed $6 per ticket. 

• Upvote 3

I can’t even stand up to cheer anymore without someone yelling at me telling me to sit down. The place needs Fireman Ed back. He had the stadium rocking. 

37 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Nobody is saying anything good about the aesthetics of the old stadium.  Or the fact that the Jets were tenants and not co-owners like in the new stadiium.

However, it can't be denied that 1) The acoustics of the old stadium were better in terms of making things tough on the opponent and 2) The true fans were closer to the action.

Don't back pedal for them.

The acoustics? Stop acting like you have side by side recordings and decibel meter readings. How many games have you been on the left hash during third down to hear the noise on the field. C'mon man.

True fans? You mean grumpy old men that would read the paper and yell down in front all game? Then leave after half time? Or do you mean the trashy drunks who were hoping for a peep show after the game?

• Butt Fumble 1

I was at the colts game last year and it was a good crowd 

• Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Us, in the club seats, look around the stadium and don’t understand what all the raucous is about. The match would be much more enjoyable if everyone were to just sit back and take in the scenery.

Match? It aint soccer bro.

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 4:08 PM, Maxman said:

So there is an effort underway by the team to help this cause. Heard about it this week, but the team is going out of their way to try and stop groups from coming in. There is nothing they can do on a seat by seat basis. But I was glad to hear they are stopping large groups.

I'll believe it when I see it .

20 hours ago, ECURB said:

Yeah the old place just screams NY JETS football... Please stop. The old stadium was a worn out POS that looked like the JETS slapped a banner on and were a JV team. The new stadium is bland... Who cares... It is as loud as the JETS are winning.

NY-Jets-40-11x14-StadiumArtCom-2048px_Store__91083.1528950767.jpg

You probably never saw a game live anyway .

• Downvote 1

20 hours ago, ECURB said:

How dare they build a bigger better stadium in the same shape without the stupid staircases! Where will I get drunk and convince girls to flash me!

image-placeholder-title.jpg

Your backyard .

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, ECURB said:

Don't back pedal for them.

The acoustics? Stop acting like you have side by side recordings and decibel meter readings. How many games have you been on the left hash during third down to hear the noise on the field. C'mon man.

True fans? You mean grumpy old men that would read the paper and yell down in front all game? Then leave after half time? Or do you mean the trashy drunks who were hoping for a peep show after the game?

I've been to countless games in both stadiums and sat all over.  You are wrong.  The old stadium was definitely louder.  And people tell me to sit down just as much in the new stadium.

• Upvote 3

Atmosphere at Met Life? I am predicting 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% other elements, principally argon 

But if you want a raucous pro Jets experience, the only thing that produces that is winning

However, this is 2019, it will never be like Shea was simply because of the times, the cost and how the following generations conduct themselves.

And for the record the baseball diamond lent a lot of character to the game, especially when it rained and it turned to mud

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

I've been to countless games in both stadiums and sat all over.  You are wrong.  The old stadium was definitely louder.  And people tell me to sit down just as much in the new stadium.

Been to every game since 2002. 

Old stadium, whilst a sh*thole, was undeniably louder than the new stadium.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

I was at that game two years ago. I believe it was a very low scoring game and the Powell broke a long run to the house? Anyways, I remember taking my brother and his two kids. I payed $6 per ticket. 

Chump change. 

Jets/Pats 2009 (last season in the old stadium) was the loudest NFL game I've ever been to.  That was the week Rex left a message for all season ticket holders to be loud.  We answered the bell and made a real difference.  One of the few times I can say with certainty the fans really affected the outcome of the game.

Hmmm, I will say I had season on the top of the upper deck at Giant stadium, and I am in row 31 of the lowers in MetLife, and I do feel MetLife is not as loud. It is quite obvious to anyone who is at games these days and was regularly at games at Giants stadium that the number of Jets chants is significantly less. It really died when Ed left. Nobody else was really able to take it over and it really impacted the crowd noise and involvement by a huge amount. On those rare occasions when he made an appearance the last 2 seasons, you could immediately feel the difference. 

I wonder how how the new tax rules killing ticket write offs will effect the crowd, especially in those midfield clubs. I do think attendance was on the upswing last year due to Darnold. 

Oh and as far as comparing old and new stadiums..... for non club fans, the concessions aren’t drastically better, and the spirals were pretty ingenious. It was always easy to quickly get out with the three sets of escalators at every spiral going directly to each level. And walking those spirals was much quicker than any of the stadiums with the long back and forth ramps. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ECURB said:

You are just wrong. The noise on the field (where it matters btw) is regularly in the 90-100db range. Same or better than most stadiums.

Before you waste time going to Google The Seahawks, yes they hit in the 130s one time for one blip of time.

130s causes hearing damage so I'm all set at 93db.

Where are you getting your decibel readings from?  Im curious what game were the Jets registering a 100db.

My son asked me last year, "why are we sitting in the Vikings section?" I said we aren't. 

Just start winning and everything fixes itself, its not magic!

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, BCJet said:

Where are you getting your decibel readings from?  Im curious what game were the Jets registering a 100db.

They show it on the screen during the games.

18 hours ago, joebabyny said:

Hmmm, I will say I had season on the top of the upper deck at Giant stadium, and I am in row 31 of the lowers in MetLife, and I do feel MetLife is not as loud. It is quite obvious to anyone who is at games these days and was regularly at games at Giants stadium that the number of Jets chants is significantly less. It really died when Ed left. Nobody else was really able to take it over and it really impacted the crowd noise and involvement by a huge amount. On those rare occasions when he made an appearance the last 2 seasons, you could immediately feel the difference. 

I wonder how how the new tax rules killing ticket write offs will effect the crowd, especially in those midfield clubs. I do think attendance was on the upswing last year due to Darnold. 

Guy in the Klecko jersey at the old place behind the EZ kept the chant going too.

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:47 PM, T0mShane said:

Last year’s gf bought us tickets to a Jets game and I had to feign excitement over this tone-deaf development while at the same time dying on the inside because I knew she paid retail instead of the $8 per you can find them for on StubHub. Anyway, we get to the game and we’re sitting four rows back on the visitor’s sideline and it’s cold and we’re in one of the 250 TV timeouts where the players just mill about on the field and chitchat with each other about golf or strippers or whatever, and then they squeeze in a few plays before a challenge flag flies and there’s another stoppage. At the eight minute mark of the second quarter, the gf asks me where “all the people went,” referring to the club seats on the other side of the field and I had to explain to her that those seats weren’t occupied by actual fans, but were instead owned by Citibank and the like, and those fine folks only show up to the stadium to entertain lower-tier clients for an hour and then flee for the exits once their sales pitches were over. At halftime, I figured I should show her the stadium, so we walked through the concourse and had to do that weird sh*t where you kept having to take escalators down and up for some reason. She said it was “very gray.” We found beer and ate very cold, wet pretzels until the second half started and the stadium had mostly cleared out except for opposing fans who were incredulous that the lower bowl was so quiet you could actually hear the click-click-click of people texting each other. When the game mercifully ended, we all marched to the parking lot with those opposing fans trying to talk sh*t to people in Santonio Holmes jerseys who just kinda shrugged as if to say, “yes, I’m aware we suck.” And then there was the traffic and the tolls and trying to get the stale pretzel taste out of our mouths. 

They pay for 1 measly game a year every 2 years.

They complain about the rest of us who pay for 10.

Someday, they'll come to the understanding that the culture change at the stadium starts with them, not us.  They're the ones whose voices are missing.  They're the ones who wouldn't be texting.  They're the ones who'd show up in their shiny new Jets jerseys.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/21/2019 at 12:02 AM, 20andOut said:

Did I say the stadium was the reason for the on field performance? No, I did not.

In fact I am sure the opposite is true. If they are winning more of those club seat holders would be in their seats instead of the club, and more demand for tickets by local fans would keep out opponent fans.

As for Gillette, have never been and have no intention of going. 

I took your post to be a criticism of MetLife and was pointing out that every modern stadium in the NFL has the seats between the 20's reserved for Club's and Suites whose occupants tend to no-show or act very distracted.  Apologies if you were generalizing.

SAR I

On 6/21/2019 at 7:39 AM, BCJet said:

thisvsthat.jpg

That's a whole pile of anti-MetLife mythology right there.  The geometry of MetLife is practically identical to Giants Stadium, the lower level and mezzanine are very comparable.  The upper deck has been elevated 30 feet to accommodate suites and increase capacity by about 8,000 seats, that's about it.

I was at the 2009 Pats game too and the 2015 Pats game was just as loud, perhaps louder.  Same for several games during the 2010 season and early in the 2011 season when we were AFC elite and the place was packed with Jets fans.

CentryLink Field is a strange comparison as it has domes over the seating areas which of course amplifies the sound.  It only holds 69,000 fans where MetLife holds 82,500.  It takes no "genius" to make a small stadium sound as loud as a big stadium while adding weather protection.  The stadium was designed by the Mara's as well as the Johnson's, and they surely are "geniuses" as both the Giants and Jets have been Top 5 in attendance since MetLife was opened, the Jets being #2 in the entire NFL last year.  This isn't Seattle (rain) or Houston (humidity) or Detroit (ice).  New Jersey climates are quite favorable for an open stadium, and being the country's largest market allows the teams to have more fans in the place.

Here's the truth:  MetLife Stadium is as loud as any stadium in the NFL when Jets fans show up.  And since Christmas 2011 when Victor Cruz went 99 yards on Rex Ryan's porous defense, the entire upper deck was abandoned by all the Giants Stadium fans who took the cheap way out, didn't pay a $3 PSL, and let their season ticket subscriptions die.  The so-called "issue" with MetLife Stadium is fairweather fans who pretend to be "diehard since 1985" on social media yet won't open their wallets to spend the whopping $20 on Stubhub to go to any game they like.  If you must be unhappy about MetLife, it's the fairweather fans that are the problem, not the team, not ownership, and not the loyal PSL holders who have bought tickets during the last 8 dark years.

SAR I

On 6/21/2019 at 9:38 PM, jetscrazey said:

Agree more loyal diehard NY Jets fans were in the seats every week regardless of the weather,opponent,game time unlike now. 

The old stadium was louder. 

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's a whole pile of anti-MetLife mythology right there.  The geometry of MetLife is practically identical to Giants Stadium, the lower level and mezzanine are very comparable.  The upper deck has been elevated 30 feet to accommodate suites and increase capacity by about 8,000 seats, that's about it.

This is not the slightest bit true. I don't think you could have attended games at both stadiums and have made this statement. I have had season tickets in both stadiums and sat in all three levels of both. In addition to the extra levels of club seats raising the upper deck at least 30 feet, at Met life the 2nd and third levels are stepped back as opposed to being stacked over one another at Giants Stadium. The net effect being that the upper deck is MUCH further from the field then at Metlife. As much as I hated playing in "Giants" stadium, while it was a very bare bones stadium there was not a bad seat in that building.

• Upvote 2

On 6/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, jetscrazey said:

1.  It can be denied that the acoustics of the old stadium were better because you have people who have been at both stadiums in this thread telling you they were equally loud.  And, it should be mentioned, equally dead because of no-shows.  Jets fans are Jets fans no matter the venue.  Very few of us show up in the tough times.  Everyone shows up in the good times.  Problem is, too many of them act like they were there the whole time.

2.  "True fans" sold half their tickets to ticket brokers for 2x or 4x face value and attended the other half of the games for free.  They weren't true fans.  They were opportunists.  I know several of them.  They don't have season tickets anymore because the gravy train ended.

SAR I

On 6/21/2019 at 5:04 PM, Ghost said:

I can’t even stand up to cheer anymore without someone yelling at me telling me to sit down. The place needs Fireman Ed back. He had the stadium rocking. 

Stand up and cheer on a big play.  Happens 10 times a game.  The other 80 plays?  Sit down.  No one behind you wants to stand up simply because you feel you should.  Voices don't get louder when you stand up.  Do your cheering in your seat.

Fireman Ed was a fraud.  Led a chant that got old and boring and pouted like a child when he was ignored, threw a hissy fit, and tried to embarrass us on national TV at one of the lowest points in franchise history.  Shame on him.  And then he tries to creep back into our good graces?  LOL.  Not happening.  His sad parade of old drunks were all replaced by smart people who aren't as gullible.

SAR I

On 6/21/2019 at 6:49 PM, Larz said:

I was at the colts game last year and it was a good crowd 

Yes.  Same for the Denver game, same for the Dolphins game. 

I'm convinced that the people complaining about the crowds watch TV's that are so old they have really crappy speakers.  "I'm disappointed by the crowd".  Really?  Then show up to the games and make a difference.  Otherwise, shut up.

SAR I

On 6/22/2019 at 3:12 AM, joebabyny said:

Stop with the Ed stuff.  Ed never made a difference in getting the crowd up.  He did his stupid chant after we scored.  It was a celebration of a TD while in a TV timeout, it didn't pump anyone up.

What got the crowd pumped up was consistent strong play on the field.  Which really only happened for half of Pennington's seasons and a few of Sanchez' seasons.  Outside of that, it's been a bad product on the field and thus bad crowd participation.

What "died" wasn't Ed leaving.  That Thanksgiving game was truly the nail in the coffin for the '09 and '10 teams and from that point forward all the Giants Stadium fans who didn't pay for PSL's and ran to the upper deck gave up their season tickets.  Because they could.  And that's fine.  But they should keep their mouths shut until they start paying up and showing up again.  Which they will when we start winning again.  Fairweather fans are like that.

SAR I

On 6/22/2019 at 3:16 AM, joebabyny said:

Oh and as far as comparing old and new stadiums..... for non club fans, the concessions aren’t drastically better, and the spirals were pretty ingenious. It was always easy to quickly get out with the three sets of escalators at every spiral going directly to each level. And walking those spirals was much quicker than any of the stadiums with the long back and forth ramps. 

Wrong.  And it had nothing to do with the spirals or ramps.

Giants Stadium had an open floorplan that allowed people to use the interior concourses to loop the entire facility.  So people parking near Gate A would jog inside the stadium to get to Gate C and it would cause a huge mess of people running in opposite directions and running people over, it was awful, you really had to pay attention so you didn't get hit in the face by some drunk from Staten Island.

MetLife Stadium is cut into 4 distinct sections and at the end of a game everyone is headed in the same direction and there is none of that congestion.  It also prevents people from visiting their friends in other sections because it takes so long to get from one end to the other.  Keeps fans in their seats cheering and stops all the extra-curriculars.

SAR I