Bucky Brooks: Jets should trade for Jimmy Graham

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034312/article/five-blockbuster-trades-that-would-spice-up-the-2019-nfl-season

Five blockbuster trades that would spice up the 2019 NFL season

• By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL.com Analyst

Team builders are always looking to other sports for new and innovative ways to build championship squads. General managers and executives will pick the brains of their baseball, basketball and hockey brethren to see if there are emerging trends that would translate to the NFL.

The Los Angeles Lakers dominated headlines by pulling off a blockbuster trade to acquire six-time All-Star forward Anthony Davis from the New Orleans Pelicans for three players and three additional first-round draft picks. This lines up with my belief that we are seeing more team builders opt for established stars over draft picks in multiple sports. Although the allure of taking a chance on what's behind Door No. 1 in the draft is intoxicating for some general managers, there is also security in acquiring a player with a proven track record of producing at the highest level.

Davis is a top-five player who averaged 25.9 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game last season, thanks to his MVP-caliber game. Pairing the ultimate big man with a three-time NBA champion regarded by some as the "G.O.A.T." (LeBron James) definitely makes the Lakers viable title contenders in a star-driven league. Now, I know it is a little easier to use the star model in a five-man sport, but NFL teams have started to utilize the approach, particularly those with a young quarterback playing on a rookie deal.

Over the past two years, we've seen several teams with young QB1s auction off first-round picks for some star power. Last year, the Los Angeles Rams added receiver Brandin Cooks to the lineup to give Jared Goff an explosive pass catcher to target on the perimeter. The Chicago Bears scooped up Khalil Mack last September to give the defense a "closer" to finish off lopsided games, sparked by a Mitchell Trubisky-led offense. Jerry Jones made a major move for the Dallas Cowboys in October to give Dak Prescott a legitimate WR1 in Amari Cooper.

Not to be outdone, the Kansas City Chiefs traded away a first-round pick this offseason to add a dominant pass rusher in Frank Clark to the mix. With Patrick Mahomes lighting up scoreboards around the league, the Chiefs need a sack master to finish off games. In Cleveland, the Browns added Odell Beckham Jr. to an offense that was already brimming with explosive playmakers on the perimeter. The electric pass catcher will give Baker Mayfield a WR1 with the sauce to change the culture in the Dawg Pound.

Those are just some of the moves that have been made in the NFL recently. Considering how executives are more willing to explore the trade market with young quarterbacks playing on cheap rookie deals while their teams are in "win now" mode, I believe we could see a few teams embark on some additional wheeling and dealing to add some star power to their lineups via a major trade.

Inspired by the Davis trade, I surveyed the NFL landscape to see which teams are a player or two away from making some noise as a potential playoff or title contender. Here are five teams that I would love to see make a blockbuster trade heading into the season, listed along with their potential ideal trade targets:

BALTIMORE RAVENS: Whitney Mercilus, LB or Jadeveon Clowney, LB, Texans. The surprising departure in free agency of seven-time Pro Bowler Terrell Suggs left a huge void in the Ravens' lineup at pass rusher. The menacing veteran's game has started to slip heading into Year 17, but he remains a scary threat for opposing quarterbacks off the edge. No. 55 has wreaked havoc on the perimeter for Baltimore since 2003; now, the Ravens need to find a new bully on the block after also losing Za'Darius Smith as a free agent. The defense helped ensure a successful transition to the job of QB1 as a rookie, holding Baltimore's opponents to an average of 18 points and 277 yards per game while Jackson went 6-1 to close out the regular season. The team is counting on third-round pick Jaylon Ferguson to step into a major role, but the Ravens could still use a pass rusher with star power, like Mercilus or Clowney, both of whom are entering contract years in Houston (barring an extension for the franchise-tagged Clowney), to extend the dominance of a defense that ranked first overall and fifth against the pass in 2018.

HOUSTON TEXANS: Melvin Gordon, RB, Chargers. The Texans made a concerted effort to upgrade the protection around quarterback Deshaun Watson, who was sacked a league-high 62 times last season, during the draft. Establishing a more consistent running game might also help temper their opponents' aggression. Sure, Lamar Miller has shown flashes as the team's RB1, but the veteran hasn't cracked the 1,000-yard mark in either of the past two seasons, and his relatively paltry total of 100-yard games during that span (four) certainly doesn't keep opposing defensive coordinators up at night. Gordon, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, has been negotiating with the Chargers, but if talks break down, maybe the Texans should knock on L.A.'s door in an attempt to upgrade a running game that needs some more juice.

NEW YORK JETS: Jimmy Graham, TE, Packers. The Jets' ascension to the top of the AFC East will be fueled by Sam Darnold and his growth as a QB1 in Year 2 of his NFL career. The team added the ultimate weapon to the backfield in Le'Veon Bell to give the young quarterback an electric RB1/WR2 to lean on in critical situations. And free-agent signee Jamison Crowder will further help bolster a pass-catching lineup that features intriguing talents Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa at receiver and Chris Herndon at tight end. Even so, the Jets could use another playmaker with the capacity to do damage over the middle of the field. Graham would be an interesting option as a veteran pass catcher with mismatch potential as a "flex" tight end. He was a bit of a disappointment in Green Bay during his first season with the Packers (55 catches, 636 yards, two touchdowns), so the former All-Pro could be a viable option if he doesn't quickly acclimate to new coach Matt LaFleur's system in training camp.

BUFFALO BILLS: Jordan Reed, TE, Redskins. The Josh Allen era got off to a good start a season ago, as the young quarterback dazzled the league with his athleticism and running ability. Heading into Year 2 of Allen's career, the Bills have attempted to surround him with more playmakers in the passing game to enable him to show off his arm talent as a deep-ball thrower. Buffalo signed Cole Beasley and John Brown to stretch the field horizontally and vertically, but the team still needs a "chain mover" and red-zone weapon to act as Allen's security blanket in critical moments. Reed would thrive in that role as a dynamic "flex" tight end with outstanding quickness, agility and route-running skills. With third-round pick Dawson Knox and seventh-round pick Tommy Sweeney serving as young apprentices for the Bills, the addition of an established playmaker at tight end could help accelerate Allen's growth as a franchise quarterback.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS: Mohamed Sanu, WR, Falcons. The 'Skins haven't had a legitimate WR1 since DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon shared duties a few seasons ago. Whether rookie Dwayne Haskins or veteran Case Keenum is under center, the team desperately needs a credible threat on the perimeter to complement a rugged running game spearheaded by running backs Adrian Peterson and Derrius Guice. Imagine a big-bodied, hard-nosed pass catcher like the 6-foot-2, 215-pound Sanu coming onboard to give the 'Skins a dependable chain mover to anchor the passing game. Sanu is coming off his most productive NFL season yet, yardage-wise (838), but with Calvin Ridley securing 10 touchdown catches as a rookie (plus 821 receiving yards) alongside Julio Jones, might Atlanta be tempted to move Sanu for additional draft capital?

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

NO!! Herndon had a very solis 1st season as a pro..... Jimmy Graham's best days are long past. If Westco can be a solid blocking TE and can give you 30 catches for 150 yards (more importantly 20 1st downs) then there is no need for Jimmy G. Westco can also double as a FB on short yardage situations.

Thirty catches for Wesco would be a lot. I think his primary use will be as a sixth OL lined up at TE, H-back, or FB. We didn't hear a lot about him over the spring, which was a little disappointing. Hopefully he gets a chance to prove himself as a viable outlet, maybe getting his number called a few times over the course of the season. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Thirty catches for Wesco would be a lot. I think his primary use will be as a sixth OL lined up at TE, H-back, or FB. We didn't hear a lot about him over the spring, which was a little disappointing. Hopefully he gets a chance to prove himself as a viable outlet, maybe getting his number called a few times over the course of the season. 

I think Gase will use him more than we think

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I think Gase will use him more than we think

I hope so, dude looks like a lot of fun in his highlight reels. But I'm not expecting it. Chris Herndon established himself, at a minimum, as a starting caliber receiving TE last year and caught 39 passes. I just don't see our new blocking TE/FB catching 30 as a rookie. 

Very happy to be wrong, though. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I hope so, dude looks like a lot of fun in his highlight reels. But I'm not expecting it. Chris Herndon established himself, at a minimum, as a starting caliber receiving TE last year and caught 39 passes. I just don't see our new blocking TE/FB catching 30 as a rookie. 

Very happy to be wrong, though. 

To be fair, he said 150 yards.  That is 5 yards a pop.  If you add up Leggett, Sterling and Tomlinson last year you still aren't at 30, but I guess he is thinking FB dump offs?  Richie Anderson, Gerarld Sowell?  I can see some of that, but I think/hope most of those are going to Bell. 

31 minutes ago, slats said:

What I want from Wesco is incredible blocking and the occasional surprise reception for a 1st down/score to throw off the other team.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

NO!! Herndon had a very solis 1st season as a pro..... Jimmy Graham's best days are long past. If Westco can be a solid blocking TE and can give you 30 catches for 150 yards (more importantly 20 1st downs) then there is no need for Jimmy G. Westco can also double as a FB on short yardage situations.

I agree they don’t need Graham but I highly doubt Wesco gets 30 catches or 20 1st downs. He’s a STer and blocking TE. 

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

Nice job, Bucky.  Not an easy thing to unite this Forum on a single topic, but it appears Brookshas done it.  Pretty unanimous that we think trading for Graham is a bad idea. 

If we are going to make a hypothetical move to help Sam, either upgrade OL or trade for a WR1.  Or if just to help the team, bring in a CB or Edge.  But not an aging TE whose numbers are down despite catching passes from Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers the past few years.

IIRC, there was an article about potential cap casualties to look at this offseason and Graham was on it.  He was due a $5M bonus at the start of the league year and speculation was that he might be cut.  Pretty sure the board was pretty united against it then, when the "blockbuster" was just money.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034312/article/five-blockbuster-trades-that-would-spice-up-the-2019-nfl-season

Five blockbuster trades that would spice up the 2019 NFL season

• By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL.com Analyst

Team builders are always looking to other sports for new and innovative ways to build championship squads. General managers and executives will pick the brains of their baseball, basketball and hockey brethren to see if there are emerging trends that would translate to the NFL.

The Los Angeles Lakers dominated headlines by pulling off a blockbuster trade to acquire six-time All-Star forward Anthony Davis from the New Orleans Pelicans for three players and three additional first-round draft picks. This lines up with my belief that we are seeing more team builders opt for established stars over draft picks in multiple sports. Although the allure of taking a chance on what's behind Door No. 1 in the draft is intoxicating for some general managers, there is also security in acquiring a player with a proven track record of producing at the highest level.

Davis is a top-five player who averaged 25.9 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game last season, thanks to his MVP-caliber game. Pairing the ultimate big man with a three-time NBA champion regarded by some as the "G.O.A.T." (LeBron James) definitely makes the Lakers viable title contenders in a star-driven league. Now, I know it is a little easier to use the star model in a five-man sport, but NFL teams have started to utilize the approach, particularly those with a young quarterback playing on a rookie deal.

Over the past two years, we've seen several teams with young QB1s auction off first-round picks for some star power. Last year, the Los Angeles Rams added receiver Brandin Cooks to the lineup to give Jared Goff an explosive pass catcher to target on the perimeter. The Chicago Bears scooped up Khalil Mack last September to give the defense a "closer" to finish off lopsided games, sparked by a Mitchell Trubisky-led offense. Jerry Jones made a major move for the Dallas Cowboys in October to give Dak Prescott a legitimate WR1 in Amari Cooper.

Not to be outdone, the Kansas City Chiefs traded away a first-round pick this offseason to add a dominant pass rusher in Frank Clark to the mix. With Patrick Mahomes lighting up scoreboards around the league, the Chiefs need a sack master to finish off games. In Cleveland, the Browns added Odell Beckham Jr. to an offense that was already brimming with explosive playmakers on the perimeter. The electric pass catcher will give Baker Mayfield a WR1 with the sauce to change the culture in the Dawg Pound.

Those are just some of the moves that have been made in the NFL recently. Considering how executives are more willing to explore the trade market with young quarterbacks playing on cheap rookie deals while their teams are in "win now" mode, I believe we could see a few teams embark on some additional wheeling and dealing to add some star power to their lineups via a major trade.

Inspired by the Davis trade, I surveyed the NFL landscape to see which teams are a player or two away from making some noise as a potential playoff or title contender. Here are five teams that I would love to see make a blockbuster trade heading into the season, listed along with their potential ideal trade targets:

BALTIMORE RAVENS: Whitney Mercilus, LB or Jadeveon Clowney, LB, Texans. The surprising departure in free agency of seven-time Pro Bowler Terrell Suggs left a huge void in the Ravens' lineup at pass rusher. The menacing veteran's game has started to slip heading into Year 17, but he remains a scary threat for opposing quarterbacks off the edge. No. 55 has wreaked havoc on the perimeter for Baltimore since 2003; now, the Ravens need to find a new bully on the block after also losing Za'Darius Smith as a free agent. The defense helped ensure a successful transition to the job of QB1 as a rookie, holding Baltimore's opponents to an average of 18 points and 277 yards per game while Jackson went 6-1 to close out the regular season. The team is counting on third-round pick Jaylon Ferguson to step into a major role, but the Ravens could still use a pass rusher with star power, like Mercilus or Clowney, both of whom are entering contract years in Houston (barring an extension for the franchise-tagged Clowney), to extend the dominance of a defense that ranked first overall and fifth against the pass in 2018.

HOUSTON TEXANS: Melvin Gordon, RB, Chargers. The Texans made a concerted effort to upgrade the protection around quarterback Deshaun Watson, who was sacked a league-high 62 times last season, during the draft. Establishing a more consistent running game might also help temper their opponents' aggression. Sure, Lamar Miller has shown flashes as the team's RB1, but the veteran hasn't cracked the 1,000-yard mark in either of the past two seasons, and his relatively paltry total of 100-yard games during that span (four) certainly doesn't keep opposing defensive coordinators up at night. Gordon, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, has been negotiating with the Chargers, but if talks break down, maybe the Texans should knock on L.A.'s door in an attempt to upgrade a running game that needs some more juice.

NEW YORK JETS: Jimmy Graham, TE, Packers. The Jets' ascension to the top of the AFC East will be fueled by Sam Darnold and his growth as a QB1 in Year 2 of his NFL career. The team added the ultimate weapon to the backfield in Le'Veon Bell to give the young quarterback an electric RB1/WR2 to lean on in critical situations. And free-agent signee Jamison Crowder will further help bolster a pass-catching lineup that features intriguing talents Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa at receiver and Chris Herndon at tight end. Even so, the Jets could use another playmaker with the capacity to do damage over the middle of the field. Graham would be an interesting option as a veteran pass catcher with mismatch potential as a "flex" tight end. He was a bit of a disappointment in Green Bay during his first season with the Packers (55 catches, 636 yards, two touchdowns), so the former All-Pro could be a viable option if he doesn't quickly acclimate to new coach Matt LaFleur's system in training camp.

BUFFALO BILLS: Jordan Reed, TE, Redskins. The Josh Allen era got off to a good start a season ago, as the young quarterback dazzled the league with his athleticism and running ability. Heading into Year 2 of Allen's career, the Bills have attempted to surround him with more playmakers in the passing game to enable him to show off his arm talent as a deep-ball thrower. Buffalo signed Cole Beasley and John Brown to stretch the field horizontally and vertically, but the team still needs a "chain mover" and red-zone weapon to act as Allen's security blanket in critical moments. Reed would thrive in that role as a dynamic "flex" tight end with outstanding quickness, agility and route-running skills. With third-round pick Dawson Knox and seventh-round pick Tommy Sweeney serving as young apprentices for the Bills, the addition of an established playmaker at tight end could help accelerate Allen's growth as a franchise quarterback.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS: Mohamed Sanu, WR, Falcons. The 'Skins haven't had a legitimate WR1 since DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon shared duties a few seasons ago. Whether rookie Dwayne Haskins or veteran Case Keenum is under center, the team desperately needs a credible threat on the perimeter to complement a rugged running game spearheaded by running backs Adrian Peterson and Derrius Guice. Imagine a big-bodied, hard-nosed pass catcher like the 6-foot-2, 215-pound Sanu coming onboard to give the 'Skins a dependable chain mover to anchor the passing game. Sanu is coming off his most productive NFL season yet, yardage-wise (838), but with Calvin Ridley securing 10 touchdown catches as a rookie (plus 821 receiving yards) alongside Julio Jones, might Atlanta be tempted to move Sanu for additional draft capital?

CE2744F7-A3EF-403E-8E8C-52D7CD67ABC1.jpeg.33c47521f86347966156a20e66fdf480.jpeg

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Herndon is also facing a 2 game suspension.  No idea what Westco is he’s most likely just a blocking TE at this level. Enunwa will eventually get injured.

Jets have cap room and need receivers 

2 hours ago, slats said:

That's what I was gonna say - not that I want Joe Douglas to start trading picks away, anyway. I'd like to see how he puts them to use during the, you know, draft. 

If the Jets' weapons stay reasonably healthy, they have more than enough. Darnold came on last year throwing to Robbie Anderson and a couple third- & fourth-stringers. If the team were to make any trades (again, not what I'd advocate), it should be for OL or CB help, imho. Not Jimmy Graham. I don't even know where that's coming from. 

This is the Key Reasonably Healthy. The one guy we really need to stay healthy to show off his talents is Enunwa, problem is he can be overly aggressive at times playing the WR position and takes way to many big hits as a result of it. When you have a guy wrapping you up, you don't always need to drag him 3 extra yards and take multiple big hits as a result . Enunwa needs to play to game situations and stay healthy to realize his full potential which could be huge based on his physical talent. 

IMHO the keys to seeing this offense go from good to great is going to come down to Enunwa and Herndon taking that next step and of course most important of all is Sam Darnold being the real deal for once at QB. 

A washed up Jimmy Graham is not the guy we need right now hell I'm not sure we need any help at the skill positions OL is where we can get really good with another solid addition

• Upvote 1