Jump to content
BettyBoop

June-July Potential Moves

Recommended Posts

It's the dead season.  No OTA, no camp, no games.  But instead of reading "Where Are They Now - Rocky Klever" stuff let's spice it up with some potential moves over the next few weeks.  It's no secret Douglas needs to improve the cornerback position and at least OL backups.  Anywhere else?  What are the options?

Cornerback - The question here is does Douglas swing for the fences by trading for a starting CB or does he continue to look for reserves with potential.  I don't think he would pay (picks and salary) for Darius Slay of the Lions.  Does he try to get Trae Waynes for a fourth round pick?  A third rounder is probably too steep a price for a first year GM who would rather make his mark on next year's draft.  Keep an eye on the Steelers as someone may shake loose there.  Steve Nelson, Joe Haden, Artie Burns, Cameron Sutton and Justin Layne are all there and the Steelers had the #10 pass defense in the league in '18.

Offensive Line - Is the love being shown Harrison real or bullcrap?  It's unlikely Douglas can wrangle a starter at this point but there will be backups that become available over the next few weeks/months.  I would love to see Qvale replaced with a reliable backup.  

Wide Receiver - I think the question here is would Gase and Douglas prefer their own projects to Deontay Burnett, Greg Dortch and Charone Peake.  Probably.  The obvious places to look are the Dolphins and Eagles rosters.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While trades are a possibility, with teams carrying their full 90 player offseason roster until the very end these days, there's going to be little happening over the next couple of months until final cutdowns come around.  Other than swapping out one undrafted rookie for another, or scooping up a low-level FA that's talent level allows them to have gone untouched for the past 3+ months, there's not much else to do.

If I had to guess, the one thing that could be worth keeping an eye out for would be some moves for low-level player to player swaps, based on respective team needs, which has become more common in recent years with the roster count changes.  After all, the Jets have done it with the Eagles before, so you never know.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While trades are a possibility, with teams carrying their full 90 player offseason roster until the very end these days, there's going to be little happening over the next couple of months until final cutdowns come around.  Other than swapping out one undrafted rookie for another, or scooping up a low-level FA that's talent level allows them to have gone untouched for the past 3+ months, there's not much else to do.

If I had to guess, the one thing that could be worth keeping an eye out for would be some moves for low-level player to player swaps, based on respective team needs, which has become more common in recent years with the roster count changes.  After all, the Jets have done it with the Eagles before, so you never know.

 

But this isn't spicy, man!  Where's the spice?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

It's the dead season.  No OTA, no camp, no games.  But instead of reading "Where Are They Now - Rocky Klever" stuff let's spice it up with some potential moves over the next few weeks.  It's no secret Douglas needs to improve the cornerback position and at least OL backups.  Anywhere else?  What are the options?

Cornerback - The question here is does Douglas swing for the fences by trading for a starting CB or does he continue to look for reserves with potential.  I don't think he would pay (picks and salary) for Darius Slay of the Lions.  Does he try to get Trae Waynes for a fourth round pick?  A third rounder is probably too steep a price for a first year GM who would rather make his mark on next year's draft.  Keep an eye on the Steelers as someone may shake loose there.  Steve Nelson, Joe Haden, Artie Burns, Cameron Sutton and Justin Layne are all there and the Steelers had the #10 pass defense in the league in '18.

Offensive Line - Is the love being shown Harrison real or bullcrap?  It's unlikely Douglas can wrangle a starter at this point but there will be backups that become available over the next few weeks/months.  I would love to see Qvale replaced with a reliable backup.  

Wide Receiver - I think the question here is would Gase and Douglas prefer their own projects to Deontay Burnett, Greg Dortch and Charone Peake.  Probably.  The obvious places to look are the Dolphins and Eagles rosters.

Good post man.  May it help save us from the complete BS that's been on here this past week.  I'm dying to talk football and deconstruct some of the potential we have coming up this season. :) 

As far as cornerback. I'm really wondering what the problem with Claiborne is these days. Something must be up with him to not even get any serious looks by any team. I think he visited the Giants, but that's about it.  (is he out of shape or does he want too much money?) 

My thoughts are that I would love to see what we have with this young stable of CB's right now. I have high hopes for Nickerson and Clark. Clark is a 23 yr old at 6'3" 220 lbs.  Parry is only 5-10 but might be able to be a solid slot type of guy behind Poole.  Even Derick Jones is at 6'2" and has some speed.  We have a nice little group there and won't know what we have unless we play them. That said I would love to see Claiborne signed to be depth. Not given the starter role, but if any of these guys go down or just outright fail, It would be nice to have a guy waiting who has significant NFL starting experience who could come off of the bench.   We may be better off at CB than we think, but if not we will know and could focus on that position next offseason. 

Then again, the fact that Douglas has already brought in two CB's could insinuate that the coaching staff doesn't see all that much in what we have outside of Roberts. Hmmmmm   I'd still like to know what we have with this group so we can move on if necessary. 

 

OL- Let me say this about Harrison. He played better than Long last season, but I have watched many breakdown vids this offseason and he looked shaky at best. He blew lots of assignments.  I have a high opinion of our new OL coaching team of Pollack and Frazier, but they can only do so much. I see C as one of the main problems going into the season.  Macc ignoring that was an absolute travesty and I would not be surprised to learn that was the final straw in the decision to fire him.  I do like Harrison's overall potential and believe the coaches when they say they like him, but he's more than likely not the long term answer and at minimum we need to add competition and depth to the C position. Let's hope for the best. KO to his left will help. 

WR is one of our stronger groups IMO. Let the NFL sleep on our guys this year. Anderson is progressing beautifully and is a rare talent. Great speed and great tracking and hands. I love that guy and it looks like Sam does too. That is fantastic news. Enunwa's health is the main concern and I'd like to see more of a snap count management with him early on. No reason to have him light it up for 4 games and then be gone for the next 4. Let's keep this guy healthy.  Our group is devoid of that number one Megatron type of talent but we have a talented and well rounded batch of WR's who could really surprise this year if Gase is as good at exploiting matchups as advertised.  Overall I'm hopeful for a true leap forward this season. 

OL is the big one for me. 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

WR is one of our stronger groups IMO. Let the NFL sleep on our guys this year. Anderson is progressing beautifully and is a rare talent. Great speed and great tracking and hands. I love that guy and it looks like Sam does too. That is fantastic news. Enunwa's health is the main concern and I'd like to see more of a snap count management with him early on. No reason to have him light it up for 4 games and then be gone for the next 4. Let's keep this guy healthy.  Our group is devoid of that number one Megatron type of talent but we have a talented and well rounded batch of WR's who could really surprise this year if Gase is as good at exploiting matchups as advertised.  Overall I'm hopeful for a true leap forward this season. 

 

(agreeing with you here)

We've seen time and time again that having a 'Megatron' type WR doesn't seem to be a necessity for success.  How many of those guys are there really?  Off the top of my head I'd list Julio, Michael Thomas, OBJ, Antonio, Mike Evans and Hopkins.  Maybe AJ Green if he's healthy.  Not a lot of playoff success in that list last year.  I think I'm fine with four solid and diverse receivers like we have (counting Herndon) since they come with a star RB and a hopefully up-and-coming star QB.  I would not want us to sacrifice too much to bring in another WR yet.  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

It's the dead season.  No OTA, no camp, no games.  But instead of reading "Where Are They Now - Rocky Klever" stuff let's spice it up with some potential moves over the next few weeks.  It's no secret Douglas needs to improve the cornerback position and at least OL backups.  Anywhere else?  What are the options?

Cornerback - The question here is does Douglas swing for the fences by trading for a starting CB or does he continue to look for reserves with potential.  I don't think he would pay (picks and salary) for Darius Slay of the Lions.  Does he try to get Trae Waynes for a fourth round pick?  A third rounder is probably too steep a price for a first year GM who would rather make his mark on next year's draft.  Keep an eye on the Steelers as someone may shake loose there.  Steve Nelson, Joe Haden, Artie Burns, Cameron Sutton and Justin Layne are all there and the Steelers had the #10 pass defense in the league in '18.

Offensive Line - Is the love being shown Harrison real or bullcrap?  It's unlikely Douglas can wrangle a starter at this point but there will be backups that become available over the next few weeks/months.  I would love to see Qvale replaced with a reliable backup.  

Wide Receiver - I think the question here is would Gase and Douglas prefer their own projects to Deontay Burnett, Greg Dortch and Charone Peake.  Probably.  The obvious places to look are the Dolphins and Eagles rosters.

I'd be surprised to see any significant trades.  I think we'll definitely see some addition as players fall out in camp and there are still some solid FA's out there as well.

I could see them bringing back Clairborne at CB.  Captain Munnerlyn, Coty Sensabaugh are available for some veteran depth.  

Harrison is fine.  And I think John Toth was in the Eagles camp under Douglas, wonder if he feels he could be depth at C?

WR?  We're fine for now.  Next years draft class is studly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, nycdan said:

(agreeing with you here)

We've seen time and time again that having a 'Megatron' type WR doesn't seem to be a necessity for success.  How many of those guys are there really?  Off the top of my head I'd list Julio, Michael Thomas, OBJ, Antonio, Mike Evans and Hopkins.  Maybe AJ Green if he's healthy.  Not a lot of playoff success in that list last year.  I think I'm fine with four solid and diverse receivers like we have (counting Herndon) since they come with a star RB and a hopefully up-and-coming star QB.  I would not want us to sacrifice too much to bring in another WR yet.  

An elite WR1 is one of the worst deals in the NFL.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, nycdan said:

We've seen time and time again that having a 'Megatron' type WR doesn't seem to be a necessity for success.  How many of those guys are there really?  Off the top of my head I'd list Julio, Michael Thomas, OBJ, Antonio, Mike Evans and Hopkins.  Maybe AJ Green if he's healthy.  Not a lot of playoff success in that list last year.  I think I'm fine with four solid and diverse receivers like we have (counting Herndon) since they come with a star RB and a hopefully up-and-coming star QB.  I would not want us to sacrifice too much to bring in another WR yet.  

You know who needs that true #1 WR type? Bad QBs. Mark Sanchez and Ryan Fitzpatrick are capable of thriving throwing the ball in the general direction of those guys and letting them do the rest. Tom Brady can make Julian Edelman look like one of the league's top receivers. Sam has that small window accuracy, and already has demonstrated the ability to read a defense and spread the ball around. That's what I want to see. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the general idea that teams don't truly need that elite level #1 guy, but what you do need is at least one complete, well-rounded type player at the position.  The Jets' issue has been that, up to this point, Enunwa is the only one who fits the bill and comes with health issues.  Anderson certainly has talent, and is very good at the things that he does, but is also pretty questionable at other things.  Unless Gase can get more out of him this year, he is likely more of a fit as a role player than a team's top guy.  So barring great improvements in Enunwa's health, the question will be whether Crowder can step into that role.  While no one needs to be dominating the position for a team, if your entire lineup has a limited skillset, that will only work to the advantage of the opposing Ds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I agree with the general idea that teams don't truly need that elite level #1 guy, but what you do need is at least one complete, well-rounded type player at the position.  The Jets' issue has been that, up to this point, Enunwa is the only one who fits the bill and comes with health issues.  Anderson certainly has talent, and is very good at the things that he does, but is also pretty questionable at other things.  Unless Gase can get more out of him this year, he is likely more of a fit as a role player than a team's top guy.  So barring great improvements in Enunwa's health, the question will be whether Crowder can step into that role.  While no one needs to be dominating the position for a team, if your entire lineup has a limited skillset, that will only work to the advantage of the opposing Ds.

I really think that Enunwa, Crowder, and Herndon can all fill that well-rounded receiver role. Throw in Anderson and Bell and that's a lot of defending the other team has to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, slats said:

I really think that Enunwa, Crowder, and Herndon can all fill that well-rounded receiver role. Throw in Anderson and Bell and that's a lot of defending the other team has to do. 

Our biggest issue with Penny, Fitz, and all of the Rex Ryan era offenses was that the defenses were able to shrink the amount of field they had to cover for a majority of their snaps. Between Sam, the diversity of weaponzz, and Adam Gase, there is absolutely no excuse for a defense being able to shrink the field this season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, slats said:

I really think that Enunwa, Crowder, and Herndon can all fill that well-rounded receiver role. Throw in Anderson and Bell and that's a lot of defending the other team has to do. 

Agreed on Enunwa, but like I said health is the only issue there.  Crowder I certainly have optimism about, but I can freely admit I also haven't watched enough of him that closely to give the best answer either.  Good point on Herndon though, as I was really only thinking of the pure WRs, but if he can continue to progress that will certainly be a big help to the entire passing game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally some traction on this topic!  Thank you all!

I agree that the core WR group is adequate. I was opining on whether Douglas and Gase may want to bring in some projects to replace Peake and Burnett.  I think there's no way they make a big move for a WR at this point.  I would be surprised if they don't bring in some support at CB.  Having a weak link in the secondary can be a season killer, even with the other talent on defense.  I agree that we may have something in Derrick Jones but a backup plan is sorely needed.  Clark hasn't really shown much but who knows.

It's disappointing that we haven't seen anything from Q or Jachai but I'm really excited to see what they can do in camp.  Also somewhat excited to see if we have something in Chuma.  That would be huge!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d like us to trade a 3rd or 4th for Trent Williams. He has another 4 years of prime left. Doubt it will happen though.

We definitely need corner help. Trading - 4th or later rounder or signing a vet would be ideal.

Other than that, obviously who gets cut and becomes available, but OL, Secondary, and WR depth should be the targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Good post man.  May it help save us from the complete BS that's been on here this past week.  I'm dying to talk football and deconstruct some of the potential we have coming up this season. :) 

As far as cornerback. I'm really wondering what the problem with Claiborne is these days. Something must be up with him to not even get any serious looks by any team. I think he visited the Giants, but that's about it.  (is he out of shape or does he want too much money?) 

My thoughts are that I would love to see what we have with this young stable of CB's right now. I have high hopes for Nickerson and Clark. Clark is a 23 yr old at 6'3" 220 lbs.  Parry is only 5-10 but might be able to be a solid slot type of guy behind Poole.  Even Derick Jones is at 6'2" and has some speed.  We have a nice little group there and won't know what we have unless we play them. That said I would love to see Claiborne signed to be depth. Not given the starter role, but if any of these guys go down or just outright fail, It would be nice to have a guy waiting who has significant NFL starting experience who could come off of the bench.   We may be better off at CB than we think, but if not we will know and could focus on that position next offseason. 

Then again, the fact that Douglas has already brought in two CB's could insinuate that the coaching staff doesn't see all that much in what we have outside of Roberts. Hmmmmm   I'd still like to know what we have with this group so we can move on if necessary. 

 

OL- Let me say this about Harrison. He played better than Long last season, but I have watched many breakdown vids this offseason and he looked shaky at best. He blew lots of assignments.  I have a high opinion of our new OL coaching team of Pollack and Frazier, but they can only do so much. I see C as one of the main problems going into the season.  Macc ignoring that was an absolute travesty and I would not be surprised to learn that was the final straw in the decision to fire him.  I do like Harrison's overall potential and believe the coaches when they say they like him, but he's more than likely not the long term answer and at minimum we need to add competition and depth to the C position. Let's hope for the best. KO to his left will help. 

WR is one of our stronger groups IMO. Let the NFL sleep on our guys this year. Anderson is progressing beautifully and is a rare talent. Great speed and great tracking and hands. I love that guy and it looks like Sam does too. That is fantastic news. Enunwa's health is the main concern and I'd like to see more of a snap count management with him early on. No reason to have him light it up for 4 games and then be gone for the next 4. Let's keep this guy healthy.  Our group is devoid of that number one Megatron type of talent but we have a talented and well rounded batch of WR's who could really surprise this year if Gase is as good at exploiting matchups as advertised.  Overall I'm hopeful for a true leap forward this season. 

OL is the big one for me. 

 

I think the hold up with Claiborne is as you explained. The Jets want to bring him in as a back up corner(cb4). That will mean he is being paid 1-3 million on a year deal. 

If I am Claiborne I wouldn’t sign that deal until week 3 of preseason. 

Personally I hope Douglas moves on. Very penalty prone, I would scream if this guy only comes in on third downs and gets flagged for defensive holding. 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d hold tight and not trade any picks away. I believe we have a nice amount of cash to spend next year in FA. Also, JD will have draft picks to improve the roster. And of course some contracts expire after this year freeing up more money. We’ll get to see soon how this staff plays out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I’d hold tight and not trade any picks away. I believe we have a nice amount of cash to spend next year in FA. Also, JD will have draft picks to improve the roster. And of course some contracts expire after this year freeing up more money. We’ll get to see soon how this staff plays out.

It would be ideal if Chuma proves he can start at LT next year.  That's a big ask but who knows!  If only we had a youngster to slot in to Brian Winters spot next year.  That would be a $7.5mm save.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

It would be ideal if Chuma proves he can start at LT next year.  That's a big ask but who knows!  If only we had a youngster to slot in to Brian Winters spot next year.  That would be a $7.5mm save.

Next year we can potentially start 4 different lineman. 

  1. Winters
  2. Shell
  3. Beachum
  4. Harrison

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

Finally some traction on this topic!  Thank you all!

I agree that the core WR group is adequate. I was opining on whether Douglas and Gase may want to bring in some projects to replace Peake and Burnett.  I think there's no way they make a big move for a WR at this point.  I would be surprised if they don't bring in some support at CB.  Having a weak link in the secondary can be a season killer, even with the other talent on defense.  I agree that we may have something in Derrick Jones but a backup plan is sorely needed.  Clark hasn't really shown much but who knows.

It's disappointing that we haven't seen anything from Q or Jachai but I'm really excited to see what they can do in camp.  Also somewhat excited to see if we have something in Chuma.  That would be huge!

I liked what I saw of Burnett last year.  I'd like to see him get some more time during TC/Pre-season to see if he can be a solid #4 guy with potential or not.  I have almost no feelings about Peake and would shed no tears if they replaced him but am happy to see him get one more shot here as well.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I liked what I saw of Burnett last year.  I'd like to see him get some more time during TC/Pre-season to see if he can be a solid #4 guy with potential or not.  I have almost no feelings about Peake and would shed no tears if they replaced him but am happy to see him get one more shot here as well.

Players excited to watch out for in preseason

  • Burnett
  • Montgomery
  • Roberts
  • Bones Jones
  • Wesco

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:
I think the hold up with Claiborne is as you explained. The Jets want to bring him in as a back up corner(cb4). That will mean he is being paid 1-3 million on a year deal. 
If I am Claiborne I wouldn’t sign that deal until week 3 of preseason. 
Personally I hope Douglas moves on. Very penalty prone, I would scream if this guy only comes in on third downs and gets flagged for defensive holding. 
 


Ha! Right? That would be something.

I still think it would be smarter to have him than not for this season. The guy is a decent CB in the NFL. If the coaches have confidence In The guys we have then fine. I’m good with going in with the kids. What I would hate to see is us giving up a 3rd or higher for a backup type or an aging vet. Screw that noise.

I want Douglas to have the full compliment of picks this coming draft. That’s where his bread should be buttered. Not giving up assets to acquire some second tier guy.

If we keep Tru in press this year he should be able to play better. Then you can give the other guys all the help they need. Especially with Mosely on the prowl for the run.
Williams should be able to cover up some of the weaknesses at CB unless they are complete dog $hit.

Oh and big Q has intentions to dominate the OL. Not sure if everyone heard that yet.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:


Ha! Right? That would be something.

I still think it wound be smarter to have him than not fir this season. The guy is a decent CB on the NFL. If the coaches have confidence I. The guys we have then fine. I’m good with going in with the kids. What I would hate to see is us giving up a 3rd or higher for a backup type or an aging vet. Screw that noise.

I want Douglas to have the full compliment of picks this coming draft. That’s where his bread should be buttered. Not giving up assists to acquire some second tier guy.

If we keep Tru in press this year he should be able to play better. Then you can give the other guys all the help they need. Especially with Mosely on the prowl for the run.
Williams should be able to cover up some of the weaknesses at CB unless they are complete dog $hit.

Oh and big Q has intentions to dominate the OL. Not sure if everyone heard that yet. emoji869.pngemoji869.pngemoji869.png


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I am guessing you are talking about the corner from the Vikings Trae Waynes when referring to trading for a back up type? 

Interested in if this front office decides to make a trade this year. I am really excited about the new pieces in the FO and I am curious to see if they hold onto every pick. 

I couldn't agree more with the miss usage of Johnson. He will have a very ruff year if he get out played by Roberts,Jones or any other outside corner on the roster. 

With Gregg Williams, I am going to be watching how he uses Marcus Maye. He is known for putting his free safeties really deep in coverage. I feel like this is the year he can break out,  another year of injuries and we have to think of moving on. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am guessing you are talking about the corner from the Vikings Trae Waynes when referring to trading for a back up type? 
Interested in if this front office decides to make a trade this year. I am really excited about the new pieces in the FO and I am curious to see if they hold onto every pick. 
I couldn't agree more with the miss usage of Johnson. He will have a very ruff year if he get out played by Roberts,Jones or any other outside corner on the roster. 
With Gregg Williams, I am going to be watching how he uses Marcus Maye. He is known for putting his free safeties really deep in coverage. I feel like this is the year he can break out,  another year of injuries and we have to think of moving on. 
 

Trae Wayne’s as well as some talk this week of the eagles being willing to let go of one of their corners. If he’s cut and we grab him, sure but I’d rather see what we have and fix it if it’s broken. Again, the coaching staff probably know what they want to see and will make the decision to ride with the group we have or not. If they aren’t comfortable that could mean that we cut a few guys like Nickerson or Clark go free. It would be. Ice to ge able to develop one or two of the young CB’s we have on the roster.

Either way I’d like to know what we have there.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

It would be ideal if Chuma proves he can start at LT next year.  That's a big ask but who knows!  If only we had a youngster to slot in to Brian Winters spot next year.  That would be a $7.5mm save.

Smart move. Winters isn’t worth 7.5 M. Hopefully JD will get this line straightened out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I liked what I saw of Burnett last year.  I'd like to see him get some more time during TC/Pre-season to see if he can be a solid #4 guy with potential or not.  I have almost no feelings about Peake and would shed no tears if they replaced him but am happy to see him get one more shot here as well.

I thought this kid really stepped up towards the end of the season and seem to catch everything that came near to him. I have a feeling about him, not the fastest guy on the team but seems to have a knack to get separation and get open. He has good chemistry with Sam from there college days. I really believe if given a chance he could contribute to the overall offense.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Agreed on Enunwa, but like I said health is the only issue there.  Crowder I certainly have optimism about, but I can freely admit I also haven't watched enough of him that closely to give the best answer either.  Good point on Herndon though, as I was really only thinking of the pure WRs, but if he can continue to progress that will certainly be a big help to the entire passing game.

https://youtu.be/szLln1bGoXg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Good post man.  May it help save us from the complete BS that's been on here this past week.  I'm dying to talk football and deconstruct some of the potential we have coming up this season. :) 

As far as cornerback. I'm really wondering what the problem with Claiborne is these days. Something must be up with him to not even get any serious looks by any team. I think he visited the Giants, but that's about it.  (is he out of shape or does he want too much money?) 

My thoughts are that I would love to see what we have with this young stable of CB's right now. I have high hopes for Nickerson and Clark. Clark is a 23 yr old at 6'3" 220 lbs.  Parry is only 5-10 but might be able to be a solid slot type of guy behind Poole.  Even Derick Jones is at 6'2" and has some speed.  We have a nice little group there and won't know what we have unless we play them. That said I would love to see Claiborne signed to be depth. Not given the starter role, but if any of these guys go down or just outright fail, It would be nice to have a guy waiting who has significant NFL starting experience who could come off of the bench.   We may be better off at CB than we think, but if not we will know and could focus on that position next offseason. 

Then again, the fact that Douglas has already brought in two CB's could insinuate that the coaching staff doesn't see all that much in what we have outside of Roberts. Hmmmmm   I'd still like to know what we have with this group so we can move on if necessary. 

 

OL- Let me say this about Harrison. He played better than Long last season, but I have watched many breakdown vids this offseason and he looked shaky at best. He blew lots of assignments.  I have a high opinion of our new OL coaching team of Pollack and Frazier, but they can only do so much. I see C as one of the main problems going into the season.  Macc ignoring that was an absolute travesty and I would not be surprised to learn that was the final straw in the decision to fire him.  I do like Harrison's overall potential and believe the coaches when they say they like him, but he's more than likely not the long term answer and at minimum we need to add competition and depth to the C position. Let's hope for the best. KO to his left will help. 

WR is one of our stronger groups IMO. Let the NFL sleep on our guys this year. Anderson is progressing beautifully and is a rare talent. Great speed and great tracking and hands. I love that guy and it looks like Sam does too. That is fantastic news. Enunwa's health is the main concern and I'd like to see more of a snap count management with him early on. No reason to have him light it up for 4 games and then be gone for the next 4. Let's keep this guy healthy.  Our group is devoid of that number one Megatron type of talent but we have a talented and well rounded batch of WR's who could really surprise this year if Gase is as good at exploiting matchups as advertised.  Overall I'm hopeful for a true leap forward this season. 

OL is the big one for me. 

 

 

8 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

I think the hold up with Claiborne is as you explained. The Jets want to bring him in as a back up corner(cb4). That will mean he is being paid 1-3 million on a year deal. 

If I am Claiborne I wouldn’t sign that deal until week 3 of preseason. 

Personally I hope Douglas moves on. Very penalty prone, I would scream if this guy only comes in on third downs and gets flagged for defensive holding. 

 

For what it's worth I read a month or so ago that Claiborne has "an undisclosed injury" what ever that means. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, flgreen said:

 

For what it's worth I read a month or so ago that Claiborne has "an undisclosed injury" what ever that means. 

Interesting. I haven't seen that anywhere. It would make sense though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interesting. I haven't seen that anywhere. It would make sense though. 

That is a good point, this is almost 2 months old. 

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan told reporters he’s open to re-signing free agent cornerback Morris Claiborne after the NFL draft, but he will have to act fast if he wishes to act on those words.

If New York does not re-sign Claiborne by May 7, the risk he signs elsewhere increases. Beginning on the seventh, teams can sign free agents without having them count toward the compensatory pick formula.

Inhabit;ord=9860770220460.168;dc_seg=756255014?Without a compensatory pick attached to him, Claiborne’s market will certainly heat up. The seven-year pro is currently rehabbing an undisclosed injury, but that shouldn’t keep teams away come May 7.

Even though the Jets claim they’re comfortable rolling with Darryl Roberts as their No. 2 corner, they still need depth at the position. Re-signing Claiborne would give New York a reliable, familiar face to help solidify the secondary.

Maccagnan not taking a cornerback until the sixth round of the draft may indicate he is leaning toward bringing back Claiborne for his third season with the Jets. Rutgers product Blessuan Austin has potential, but is rehabbing a second torn ACL and will likely open 2019 on the PUP list.

Either way, it would behoove New York to bring back Claiborne. With the team primed to take the next step in 2019, solid cornerback play is imperative. 2018 was an up and down season for Claiborne, but he proved what he’s capable of throughout 2017.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/01/new-york-jets-mike-maccagnan-re-sign-morris-claiborne/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the feeling Dase (Douglas/Gase) would rather not bring back another Mac signing.  There probably will be other similar players available within the next few weeks/months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...