a supreme court decision serves as a victory for the redskins’.. ~ ~ ~

kelly

A Supreme Court decision this morning will serve as a victory for the Washington Redskins’ ongoing efforts to protect their team name.

The Court ruled that the federal government may not prohibit trademarks on “immoral” or “scandalous” materials, in a case brought by a clothing line known as FUCT. Although the Redskins were not a party to the case, it represents a victory for the team because opponents of the team name have argued that they should lose their trademark protection under the “immoral or scandalous” laws that have now been ruled unconstitutional.

This is the second recent case in which the Supreme Court has ruled that the First Amendment defends the free speech of companies that have offensive trademarks.Losing trademark protection wouldn’t have forced the team to change its name, but it would have potentially cost the team money in merchandise sales, which might have been a first step toward Dan Snyder changing his stated determination “never” to change the name. Now Snyder doesn’t have to worry about that.

>       https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/24/supreme-court-hands-redskins-a-victory-in-trademark-case/

• Sympathy 1

Slurs against races, ethnic groups, and sexual orientations are the new obscenities.  Maybe 50-60 years ago the n-word would be fine for use in public, mixed company while the f-word would be a serious no-no. Today, the opposite is true. Not sure this case is enough to uphold a nickname that some, or many, may find to be racist. The Redskin name was perfectly acceptable 70 years ago, but so was Song of the South which you're unlikely to ever see broadcast or screened again. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

We’ve become a country of the least common denominator. 

It seems if even a tiny group is offended by something it must be banned. 

Crazy world we are living in. Label something as “hate speech” and it's over.  

It makes people feel like they have power when in fact the opposite is true. If something is truly offensive you would find out the hard way. 

All of this asking for the government for protection from ourselves only weakens us. It puts the power to decide in the hands of a very few elite lawyers. 

The funny thing is that everyone knows the least trustworthy people are lawyers and politicians. I mean it's become a bad joke.

We then elect the very same people and ask them to control more and more of our lives. I've stopped worrying about it. It's not going to change. 

Hope for the best and I probably won't live long enough to see how bad things get. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Organizations should be free to brand themselves anyway they wish. If you want to punish them for their choices, do so with your wallet.

That’s the American Way.

I’d also point out that a very large number of Reservation high schools have chosen that moniker as their own mascot, FWIW.

That's because it's cool and intimidating. 

If someone's offended it's probably because of their own prejudiced opinion. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So thankful for how JetNation handles things!!

My wife is always on this site!

Yeah, I'm hiding your post and those that are quoting it. Has nothing to do with agreeing, disagreeing, or whatever. It has everything to do with this being just a football forum. I know you know better. ;) 

Hope you - and especially Mrs. Boozer - are ok with how JetNation "handled" this post. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, I edited this and am hiding the posts that are quoting it. Has nothing to do with agreeing, disagreeing, or whatever. It's a football forum.

Hope you - and Mrs. Boozer - are ok with how JetNation "handled" this post. ;) 

I'm cool with that. I didn't want to edit an article I didn't write, but your's boils it down to what it is.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

“People are too sensitive,” says person whose limited store of mental energy is entirely committed to white male grievance. 

The "too sensitive" comments relate not to being offended, but to calling for bans.

38 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Tony Kornheiser had the best solution to this. Washington keeps the Redskins name but changes the logo to a red potato. Everyone wins.

AE8C8D1C-2A0F-4DB8-86AF-7CD66E5B6F9E.jpeg

You know who sucks?

Announcers who won't call them Redskins and will only call them "Washington".

So weak.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

Slurs against races, ethnic groups, and sexual orientations are the new obscenities.  Maybe 50-60 years ago the n-word would be fine for use in public, mixed company while the f-word would be a serious no-no. Today, the opposite is true. Not sure this case is enough to uphold a nickname that some, or many, may find to be racist. The Redskin name was perfectly acceptable 70 years ago, but so was Song of the South which you're unlikely to ever see broadcast or screened again. 

9/10 Native Americans surveyed are not offended by the term "redskins." If they're not offended, then I don't see any reason why I should be...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?utm_term=.76a09bc46b61

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

There's not one person that has been alive for 112 years that has used Redskin as a slur.

Probably because we killed off most of them around the same time-frame.

I loathe the name.  I loathe the team. 

Other than that, unsurprising beaten-dead-horse-thread is unsurprising and........wait for it.......beaten to death.  :-k

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

9/10 Native Americans surveyed are not offended by the term "redskins." If they're not offended, then I don't see any reason why I should be...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?utm_term=.76a09bc46b61

But it’s the 1 out of 10 that is making the noise. 

Even if it was 1 out of 10,000 they would still be claiming hate speech. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Probably because we killed off most of them around the same time-frame.

I loathe the name.  I loathe the team. 

Other than that, unsurprising beaten-dead-horse-thread is unsurprising and........wait for it.......beaten to death.  :-k

USED the term. The point is no one cares. But that doesn't help you, does it?

• Upvote 1

Btw, you know what I heard recently?

The term “Eskimo” is an incredibly offensive slur. 

So what we were actually taught in the 4th grade is now unacceptable. 

Apparently Obama signed an executive order in 2016 to remove it from all federal laws. 

Who knew?

Call me a WOP or a Guinea I don’t care. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2