Linebacker Darron Lee adjusting well to his new team

NYJ1

The Kansas City Chiefs added linebacker Darron Lee via trade with the New York Jets just days before they were set to start organized team activities.

Lee has hit the ground running since his arrival with the Chiefs. The local media got to hear from Lee for the first time following today’s OTA session. Andy Reid also had a chance to speak about Lee for the first time. He revealed what he views as Lee’s strengths as a player.

“Yeah, Darron was one of the top guys coming out and I know Brett (Veach) really liked him when he came out of Ohio State,” Reid said of Lee. “He brings great coverage ability, speed, he’s fast. He’s not the biggest guy, but he plays all over the field, so he gives you some flexibility there at the linebacker position. And again, that great coverage ability.”

Lee recalled a meeting with the Chiefs when he was still at Ohio State, ahead of the 2016 NFL draft. Those pre-draft conversations he had with the Chiefs left a big impression on Lee.

“I remember when I met them at the Combine,” Lee said of the Chiefs. “It was a great atmosphere. I’ve grown up watching Andy Reid when he was at Philly and just being a fan and everything he had going on there. I just remember that conversation. You obviously don’t know what’s going to happen on Draft night, but I just remember our conversation and it was something special. The fact that I’m here is just surreal.”

Part of what makes it so surreal is where the Chiefs ended up last season. They were a play away from going to the Super Bowl, and there are plenty of players on the team who are aching to see themselves right back in the mix to go to Super Bowl LIV. Lee gets the sense that something special is going on in Kansas City.

“It’s been a great situation,” Lee said. “To come here and learn a new system and be a part of something special. These guys have something really special going here, especially if you’ve watched these past couple of years, and especially last year. So I’m really excited just to be here and be part of this team.”

There’s a lot of work ahead of Lee in learning a new defensive system. The same can be said for a lot of Chiefs defenders, but Lee is the last one to the party and he has some catching up to do.

“I have to play catch up a little bit, some guys have a leg up but that’s okay,” Lee said. “I’m just going to take my time and take it day-by-day.”

Chiefs Kingdom has shown Lee a lot of love so far during his brief time as a member of the Chiefs. So far it’s really helped it feel comfortable.

“I felt welcome,” Lee said. “I know what the Chiefs mean around here. They welcomed me with open arms. I’m definitely happy to be a part of Chiefs Kingdom and part of this organization. I look forward to helping us win ball games down the road.”

Hopefully Lee will be a part of many wins in Kansas City. He won’t be going at it alone, though. He has a new teammate on the offensive side of the ball that is the NFL’s reigning MVP.

Lee and Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes bonded over Game of Thrones before they were teammates. They’re now competing together to land the Chiefs on the NFL’s metaphorical equivalent of the Iron Throne. Lee has seen the things that Mahomes can do on the football field on TV, but now that he’s seen those things first hand, he decided to bend the knee to the one true king of the AFC Westeros.

“He’s magnificent,” Lee said of Mahomes. “He’s everything that has been advertised. Like I said, they already have something great brewing here. It’s one thing to see it on TV, but it’s something different to see it in practice.”

• Upvote 1

This is hysterical. This idiot that couldn't play linebacker to save his life has now gotten Chiefs fans to fall hook, line, and sinker for his BS. I guess the Chiefs organization and fans will need to learn the hard way that Darron Lee is a lazy little twerp that they should never have traded for.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 1

22 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Chiefs Kingdom has shown Lee a lot of love so far during his brief time as a member of the Chiefs. So far it’s really helped it feel comfortable.

I’m almost curious to find out who is the @Pac of “Chiefs Kingdom.”

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

This is hysterical. This idiot that couldn't play linebacker to save his life has now gotten Chiefs fans to fall hook, line, and sinker for his BS. I guess the Chiefs organization and fans will need to learn the hard way that Darron Lee is a lazy little twerp that they should never have traded for.

Way to over play your hand and come off like the one who has no idea what they're talking about.

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Forgetting the bitterness of a Jets fan for a moment, when you consider he only cost the Chiefs a future 6th rounder and will be further motivated by only having a one-year deal, odds are heavily in favor of this being considered a good move for them when all is said and done.

Why? Is he all of the sudden going to morph into a good football player?

Lee has had enough time too prove who he is in this league, and it turns out he's nothing special in any aspect of the game.....hence why he fetched a 6th rounder. I say good riddance to someone that had no future with the Jets.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, RobR said:

Why? Is he all of the sudden going to morph into a good football player?

Lee has had enough time too prove who he is in this league, and it turns out he's nothing special in any aspect of the game.....hence why he fetched a 6th rounder. I say good riddance to someone that had no future with the Jets.

Because, once again, the cost to the Chiefs was a 6th round pick.  Therefore, it's highly unlikely this will be considered a slightly negative move for them.  It's a pretty simple concept when not blinded by bitterness towards Lee because of him being just one small piece (pun intended) of Maccagnan's idiotic decision-making.

If Lee was a 6th round pick of the Jets, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Because, once again, the cost to the Chiefs was a 6th round pick.  Therefore, it's highly unlikely this will be considered a slightly negative move for them.  It's a pretty simple concept when not blinded by bitterness towards Lee because of him being just one small piece (pun intended) of Maccagnan's idiotic decision-making.

If Lee was a 6th round pick of the Jets, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

They also could have signed anyone on the free agent market for what would likely be a vet minimum salary and get even better production.

See: Neville Hewitt.

I'm not blinded by bitterness, I can see that Lee was a sh*tty football player not only on the field but also between the ears. Him leaving is addition by subtraction because it opens up a roster spot for someone deserving and also netted us some draft capital whether we use that on a player or package it to move up.....if even a few slots.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2019 at 7:45 PM, Bleedin Green said:

Forgetting the bitterness of a Jets fan for a moment, when you consider he only cost the Chiefs a future 6th rounder and will be further motivated by only having a one-year deal, odds are heavily in favor of this being considered a good move for them when all is said and done.

Lee will have his best year ever for the Chiefs, basically roaming in a 4-3 with his mother yelling at him to earn his next and likely final contract.

Whatever team signs him to a contract will  regret it.

The Jets need a great secondary to run their 3-4 with 2 not great coverage ILBs.  Adams does make up for a lot of it, which is why his stats are what they are (and he is a good player).  Douglas’ job is to try and beef up the secondary before opening day.  

• Upvote 1

Lee is not an every down ILB. However used in a nickel package as an over the middle drop back LB he will be effective. I have no ill will against him. He just wasn’t used properly by those boneheads Rodgers and Bowles

• Upvote 2

Some of you are ridiculous. Lee is young and gets has slowly progressed each year. He isn't a hall of famer but he is a perfectly serviceable player. We drafted him toward the tail end of the first round and you act like we took him with the number one overall pick. The hatred for the guy is unfounded, he was not the one reason our team was not making the playoffs and he will not be the one piece that keeps the chiefs out of them.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Agree, Lee went from competing for State championships in HS (as a QB) to competing for National Championships in College (had to switch positions to make the starting line up) to bowles losing culture (no accountability) and kacy (worst DC ever) 

To be fair, Lee did screw up his first chance in the NFL, sucks for Jets, no doubt, but must have felt like a kid in a candy store vs Urban and the machine he built at OSU

We really don't know what Lee can be in the NFL when properly motivated - Chiefs have a 6th round pick and $1.5m invested, if he makes the team - this will be his last chance so will be interesting (amazing thing is he is a millionaire either way)

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2019 at 7:52 PM, Jet Nut said:

Way to over play your hand and come off like the one who has no idea what they're talking about.

Ok. I'll entertain this drivel. PLEASE tell me Mr. Hey But how I am.... Whatever you're saying in the above post? I can't wait to see this....

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Ok. I'll entertain this drivel. PLEASE tell me Mr. Hey But how I am.... Whatever you're saying in the above post? I can't wait to see this....

Eh... he’ll just say words and then be wrong and act like it never happened... or he’ll tell you you’re wrong because you can’t possibly be right even though you’re probably right... it’s a fruitless operation to engage in

All I know is the moment Macc was fired he was first out the door. Our H.C said when he first came here, he knew more about our D, since he faced us twice a year as Miami’s H.C 

I’d think he thinks Lee isn’t all that, you also consider we payed the most amount  of money for an ILB ever, Lee isn’t very good.

A 1st rounder gets a 5th back after 4 years.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Because its an over exaggeration of how bad youre trying to make him, that he's totally incompetent is wrong.  You went too far.  Simple

Calling someone because you dont like him an idiot is obvious enough.  Cant play to save his life?  More over the top nonsense, hes just not a top LB, he can play.  

Then lets go for it all, all the eggs in one basket, "Darron Lee is a lazy little twerp that they should never have traded for."

Over the top.

As for calling me Mr whatever, don't like the response too F'n bad.  Dont like responses in general?  Thats the whole idea of message board/forums.

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

All I know is the moment Macc was fired he was first out the door. Our H.C said when he first came here, he knew more about our D, since he faced us twice a year as Miami’s H.C 

I’d think he thinks Lee isn’t all that, you also consider we payed the most amount  of money for an ILB ever, Lee isn’t very good.

A 1st rounder gets a 5th back after 4 years.

Gase and Williams know Lee stinks bad

Mac’s biggest flaw as a gm was he refused to ever admit he missed on a player often he would double down on his mistakes

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Mac’s biggest flaw as a gm was he refused to ever admit he missed on a player often he would double down on his mistakes

Not really.  There are quite a few misses he drafted that were cut.  This is pure nonsense just to pile on. 

There want anyone better than him on the roster to justify dumping him last year.  Plain and simple, his fault but true