Joe Namath: Brady is the greatest quarterback ever

Yahoo Sports

Shalise Manza Young
Jun 24th 2019 3:41PM

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/06/24/joe-namath-tom-brady-is-the-greatest-quarterback-ever/23755615/

At 76 years old, Joe Namath has seen a lot of quarterback play. The New York Jets legend idolized Johnny Unitas and has tremendous respect for some of the greats of the game.

But his pick for best ever is a man who’s still playing.

‘Tom is the best’

Chatting with Howard Stern on Monday, Namath declared New England Patriots’ Tom Brady, fresh off his sixth Super Bowl win and a little more than a month away from his 42nd birthday, is the greatest quarterback.

Sorry, Jets fans.

“Tom is the best,” Namath said, in response to Stern’s observation that Brady has been able to stay healthy for so long. “I’ve been asked that question for many years. Johnny U. [Unitas] was my hero, Otto Graham was great, Slingin’ Sammy Baugh, I go back, these guys are great.

“But meantime, Tom has been challenged more in recent history certainly with huge games than anyone I can recollect and he’s stepped up every time.”

While Brady has certainly racked up stats over his career, which now enters its 20th season, Namath didn’t point to those as the primary reason for his ranking.

“Here’s a quarterback, when I watch pro football games, college games, you can literally see - and I actually lost games for our team by throwing poorly, throwing interceptions, I have not seen Tom Brady lose a game for his team.”

AdChoices

‘He’s the best at answering the challenge’

Is he the greatest there ever was?, Stern asked.

“I would have to say he’s the best at answering the challenge there ever was, yes,” Namath said. “I have not seen anybody have that many big games and answer the challenge as well as he has.”

While admitting that he’s not the most knowledgeable when it comes to football, Stern said whenever he watches Brady he’s just able to pull games out.

What is it that separates good players from NFL players or great players?, Stern asked.

“Desire, to start with, and luck - injuries come into play,” Namath said.

He then invoked the name of the first family of NFL quarterbacking.

“The best quarterback that I know of that’s not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and he would be the first Manning into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, is their daddy, Archie,” Namath said. “But he played for the New Orleans ‘Aints’, not Saints.

“They used to wear bags over their heads. And Archie was running for his life all the time.”

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Joe is a great man and a wonderful spokesperson for the organization. If the Johnsons ever got their sh*t together and got us a stadium, they should call it Namath Arena and stick a 50-foot bronze statue of Namath out front. Joe and I are also personal friends in a way. Simpatico. That said, Joe knows where his bread is buttered and he’s not going to pick a fight with the league over Brady’s clear and continued cheating. He’s a villain and will remain so forever, even if his contemporaries largely kiss his ass in service of the league. It reminds me very much of how baseball players were forced to say how great Derek Jeter was even though Jeter was a marginal talent carried to “success” by a bevy of significantly better players. Now, you never hear a word about Jeter because Gregorious was instantly better than him. Same will hold true with Brady. He’ll retire, then all the bombs will drop regarding what an a$$hole and a cheat he was, and he’ll become anonymous. A true blight upon the sport.

Perhaps the most ridiculous post I have ever read.   Gregorio’s better than Jeter? Jeter was carried?  Jeter is a near unanimous HOFer and TB will be.

Met fan I suppose? 

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

The GOAT cannot lose 3 SBs. 

Whilst playing for a systematically cheating franchise. 

The GOAT never lost a SB. 

It’s like saying LeBron is better than Jordan. 

Nonsense. 

Um...... lebron james has 3 rings.  Jordan has 6.  No one thinks lebron is better then jordan.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Um...... lebron james has 3 rings.  Jordan has 6.  No one thinks lebron is better then jordan.

You are mistaken. 

Millennials think LeBron is better. 

Just like Millennials think Brady is better than Montana. 

Millennials. Ha. So silly.  

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

You are mistaken. 

Millennials think LeBron is better. 

Just like Millennials think Brady is better than Montana. 

Millennials. Ha. So silly.  

Brady is better than Montana, in every way measurable.  And I always thought that Montana was the best.  

I could care less how many SBs Brady lost, he has six rings.  No one else comes close.  

Sucks, I hate everything about Brady and the Pats but...

• Upvote 3

Brady played in an era with rules designed to allow QBs to excel and that allowed systematic cheating far beyond stickum. 

Not the GOAT.

Never as good as Joe Cool.

Never should have been one SB (tuck), out and out cheated for another (Rams), benefited from the worst offensive call in the history of sports (Seahawks), benefited from the biggest choke in the history of sports (Falcons) and road the coattails of the defense (did nothing) in the last.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

The GOAT cannot lose 3 SBs. 

Whilst playing for a systematically cheating franchise. 

The GOAT never lost a SB. 

It’s like saying LeBron is better than Jordan. 

Nonsense. 

This argument is beyond stupid. Montana is 4-0 in Super Bowls. He also was 0-3, one and done in three straight playoffs from 1985-87. I’ll take Brady making it to the Super Bowl and losing, having won 2+ prior games, over Montana flaming out in the opening round.

6-3 >>>> 4-0 with multiple early round exits 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, PS17 said:

This argument is beyond stupid. Montana is 4-0 in Super Bowls. He also was 0-3, one and done in three straight playoffs from 1985-87. I’ll take Brady making it to the Super Bowl and losing, having won 2+ prior games, over Montana flaming out in the opening round.

To be fair, Montana was playing against super teams.  The NFC was crazy stacked in the 80's. 

Oh, and you could knock the sh*t out of Montana two steps after he threw the ball.

85/86 Bears, LT, and Dexter Manley beat the snot out of Joe. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Brady is the best and whoever is second isnt even close.  Joe knows what hes talking about.

8 hours ago, shevys said:

Sad but true. 

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Correct.  Only idiot jet fans would think otherwise.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Brady is better than Montana, in every way measurable.  And I always thought that Montana was the best.  

I could care less how many SBs Brady lost, he has six rings.  No one else comes close.  

Sucks, I hate everything about Brady and the Pats but...

6 hours ago, shevys said:

It pains me to say it, and I hate him more than I ever hated Marino (which was a lot), but it’s Brady and it’s not even close. 

6 hours ago, PS17 said:

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Curious as to why people say Brady is a cheater? Do people really think he’s won 6 suoerbowls cause he deflated a few footballs?

Banworthy and disgusting. 

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

To be fair, Montana was playing against super teams.  The NFC was crazy stacked in the 80's. 

Oh, and you could knock the sh*t out of Montana two steps after he threw the ball.

85/86 Bears, LT, and Dexter Manley beat the snot out of Joe. 

Trying to imagine what would happen to a player today if they spiked Brady in the spine the way Leonard Marshall spiked Montana. No way they’d be allowed to play in the league again. Kraft is the de facto commissioner of the league.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Trying to imagine what would happen to a player today if they spiked Brady in the spine the way Leonard Marshall spiked Montana. No way they’d be allowed to play in the league again. Kraft is the de facto commissioner of the league.

What about all the big hits how avoided during the in the grasp era?  Players today are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic.  If the same hits happened today players would die.  In each era they adjust rules for safety, Joe didn't play in the 50s, 60s, 70s.

• Upvote 1