Joe Namath: Brady is the greatest quarterback ever

45 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Many think Montana is #2, what records does he hold?  Brady is the best and it's not even worthy of discussion.  No one is anywhere near him.

Montana retired with the highest all time QB rating and TD-Int ratio.

A guy can't be by far the best if he doesn't even have the best stats at his position. He also doesn't do anything special in terms of ability, he's a check-down charlie 

Brady also has possibly the best coach ever behind him. 

39 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Dumb.

Defense was a thing in Montana's era. 

Regardless, "greatness" implies many things, including playing the game with integrity and respect. Brady fails miserably in those areas.

Dumb is any conversation then because the game has too many different eras?  Dumb is thinking no one knows this.

I can come back with Rice, Taylor and a great D in SF.  So?  

I watched both, Brady is better.  I dont need reminding the game has changed.  I loved Montana.  Brady has passed him by.  6 SB wins, 9 appearances.  Countless playoff wins.  Just doesnt add up.

And Im not going anywhere near the overblown cheating accusations.  Lets not forget the 49s were sanctioned heavily for circumventing the cap.  That would fall under....cheating.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Grandy said:

A guy can't be by far the best if he doesn't even have the best stats at his position. 

QBR is now meaningful?  Especially when it isnt true, Montana wasnt the highest all time and Brady's QBR is higher.  Over a longer period of time.

And the TD-Int ratio?  Brady obliterates Montanas stats. 

Montanta, 273 TDs, 139 INTs.  Brady, 517, 171 INTs.  Next?

40,000 yards to 70,000?  Nope

4,000 yard seasons?  Brady 10, Montana 0

Comp %?  Nope Brady wins that one too.

I hate Brady as much as I hate any player but the numbers are absurd.  You cant find anything other than excuses for his game 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Grandy said:

A guy can't be by far the best if he doesn't even have the best stats at his position. 

Montana didn't have the best stats at his position. In non strike seasons he led in TDs one time. Brady has led in TDs 4x.  The other category Montana led in was comp % but he had a huge edge with that system. In total he led in comp % 5x, TDs 1x.  Brady 4x in TDs, 1x in comp %, 3x in yds. In rating each led 2x.

The position is much more than stats though, he took over a sinking ship and instantly turned them into a dynasty.  It's more than just numbers, he's kept his team winning for basically 2 decades in the parity era where he has never had the most talent around him.

Montana is a worthy number 2, he's not Brady.  I met Joe and how himself said Brady was the best he'd ever seen.  Maybe he was being modest? 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

QBR is now meaningful?  Especially when it isnt true, Montana wasnt the highest all time and Brady's QBR is higher.  Over a longer period of time.

I hate Brady as much as I hate any player but the numbers are absurd.  You cant find anything other than excuses for his game 

Brady is better but you can't compare his numbers to Joe's, they played in different eras.  Most QBs of this generation will blow away Joe's numbers.

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Dumb is any conversation then because the game has too many different eras

I think that's just it different players, different rules, christ there will be male cheerleaders soon.  How are we defining GOAT,  there are a few different qualifications  to argue over or standards. Unitas, Marino, Montanna, etc. etc. Dickhead has the most overall accomplishments divisions, rIngs, but how were they obtained? It's a team game, is he a product of his team? Or was he the Qb that did everything by himself?

This is why I love Namath and respect his opinion, this one line, he answers with no hesitation.

9.24 and on, No "We are....King of the hill. A winner, a leader, a great!!

11 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

I think that's just it different players, different rules, christ there will be male cheerleaders soon.  How are we defining GOAT,  there are a few different qualifications  to argue over or standards. Unitas, Marino, Montanna, etc. etc. Dickhead has the most overall accomplishments divisions, rIngs, but how were they obtained? It's a team game, is he a product of his team? Or was he the Qb that did everything by himself?

This is why I love Namath and respect his opinion, this one line, he answers with no hesitation.

9.24 and on, No "We are....King of the hill. A winner, a leader, a great!!

and yet the guy you claim to respect and love...stated the greatest is Brady. Ends your argument . 

• Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

yea but Brady has never been hit like Joe before

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

It depends on what you are basing it on....go back and read the english, the clip is an aside.

It's pretty simple. Either you have a point you or don't. The man said pretty clearly forgot whatever variable you and the rest of his detractors are trying to shoe horn into an argument. Brady is the best. So again my simple question to you now is. What point of his are you trying to counter?

Comparing “stats” from different eras and then claiming “it’s not close” is sophistry of the highest order. 

Sammy Baugh, one of the acknowledged greatest QBs of all time, his stats are dwarfed by sh*tty QBs of the last 15-20 years. Joe retired 25 years ago.

This is a discussion based entirely on opinions. 

Don't tell me a guy who wasn’t allowed to get hit, who’s receivers were not allowed to get mugged, who’s franchise stole a SB by cheating (not getting an “advantage”) and who got suspended for cheating (didn’t help him to win but he did it anyway kind of like Nixon didn’t need to spy on Mcgovern to win in a landslide). 

And then assert “it’s not close”. 

Joe Cool was better than Brady. 

That’s my opinion which is shared by many NFL fans.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Comparing “stats” from different eras and then claiming “it’s not close” is sophistry of the highest order. 

Sammy Baugh, one of the acknowledged greatest QBs of all time, his stats are dwarfed by sh*tty QBs of the last 15-20 years. Joe retired 25 years ago.

Don't tell me a guy who wasn’t allowed to get hit, who’s receivers were not allowed to get mugged, who’s franchise stole a SB by cheating (not getting an “advantage”) and who got suspended for cheating (didn’t help him to win but he did it anyway kind of like Nixon didn’t need to spy on Mcgovern to win in a landslide). 

I agree , you can't compare individual stats but what you can do is compare players vs their eras.  Brady has been better than Montana vs their eras.  Maybe if Montana was more durable and played longer this would be a debate but no QB has played at such an incredible for as long as Brady has AND he's done it mostly without top tier talent around him.  No matter who he has to throw and hand off to he always performs.

He's the best, it's not close.

Stop with the "wasn't allowed to get hit" nonsense. Brady gets hit hard by bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic players.  Brady didn't play in the "in the grasp" era.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Brady is better but you can't compare his numbers to Joe's, they played in different eras.  Most QBs of this generation will blow away Joe's numbers.

Thats why I said that in the post above it.

I said I watched both played, dont need numbers Brady is better

13 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

So make your case?

Stats cant be used.

Wins and loses?  No?

SB wins?  No?

Longevity?  Nope?

Playoff wins?  No?

Twice Ive said my eyes say hes the best.  

What more do you want?  Theres no right or wrong. I used the numbers because someone said Montanas TD-INT ratio was superior.  It wasnt.  He also said his QBR was the best, it wasnt.  I didnt bring it up.

Most NFL fans would disagree with you.  Not too many would hang to the idea that Montana is the better QB.  As much as I hate to say it.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I agree , you can't compare individual stats but what you can do is compare players vs their eras.  Brady has been better than Montana vs their eras.  Maybe if Montana was more durable and played longer this would be a debate but no QB has played at such an incredible for as long as Brady has AND he's done it mostly without top tier talent around him.  No matter who he has to throw and hand off to he always performs.

He's the best, it's not close.

Stop with the "wasn't allowed to get hit" nonsense. Brady gets hit hard by bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic players.  Brady didn't play in the "in the grasp" era.

my favorite part is you can't tell him about brady, but he can tell Namath he must of been drunk to come up with his opinion about brady....

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So make your case?

Stats cant be used.

Wins and loses?  No?

SB wins?  No?

Longevity?  Nope?

Playoff wins?  No?

Twice Ive said my eyes say hes the best.  

What more do you want?  Theres no right or wrong. I used the numbers because someone said Montanas TD-INT ratio was superior.  It wasnt.  He also said his QBR was the best, it wasnt.  I didnt bring it up.

Most NFL fans would disagree with you.  Not too many would hang to the idea that Montana is the better QB.  As much as I hate to say it.  

I have no case to make. 

This is all opinion based. 

I cannot forgive the systematic cheating and the SB losses, the different competition and the different physicality especially towards QBs and receivers.

If you want to forgive them, be my guest.

Has Brady gotten hit? 

Sure and he’s gotten 15 yard penalties every single and has been hands off the rest of the game and likely the next two. If you didn’t see that you weren’t watching. 

There is no way he took the pounding of Montana.

Look, you think he’s the best. That’s your opinion. It’s not dispositive and it’s a very legitimate discussion but to say it’s “not close” is a crutch. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I have no case to make. 

This is all opinion based. 

I cannot forgive the systematic cheating and the SB losses, the different competition and the different physicality especially towards QBs and receivers.

If you want to forgive them, be my guest.

Has Brady gotten hit? 

Sure and he’s gotten 15 yard penalties every single and has been hands off the rest of the game and likely the next two. If you didn’t see that you weren’t watching. 

There is no way he took the pounding of Montana.

Look, you think he’s the best. That’s your opinion. It’s not dispositive and it’s a very legitimate discussion but to say it’s “not close” is a crutch. 

So Brady is better but you wont say hes better because youre actually trying to make the case that hes never hit?  And because Montana got knocked out of a playoff game against the Giants he was a beaten QB everytime he went out to play?  Where does this come from?  

And again, the 49rs cheated.  Were caught cheating.  Were fined heavily for cheating.  But I guess time and a different division heals all wounds with Joe Cool?  

Whats really gotten pathetic is all the crying Jets fans do over imaginary holding calls that arent made by the Pats only.  Never the 49rs when they were on top.  All the imaginary roughing calls Brady gets that Montana wouldnt have gotten.  And the idea that Montana played under the 1950s rule book.  Watch Montana and others from that era and compare it to Namath, etc and tell me theyre the same rules.  Please dont tell us that Bradys early years were drastically different that most of Montanas days in the NFL.  Times change, rules shift, especially in football today.  

• Post of the Week 1