nyjets1969

Jets front offices being rebuilt to look like The Ravens front office

Hoping Douglass brings in Ozzie as a special adviser leading up to the draft. There's a LOT of information to sort through. Draft strategies and trade offers to review in REAL TIME on the day of the draft can be overwhelming for a guy who has not been the "point man" before. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hoping Douglass brings in Ozzie as a special adviser leading up to the draft. There's a LOT of information to sort through. Draft strategies and trade offers to review in REAL TIME on the day of the draft can be overwhelming for a guy who has not been the "point man" before. 

Pretty sure that Newsome is still under contract with the Ravens.  This was planned over a long period so that nobody could poach DeCosta.  I think Bisciotti said he would be the highest paid scout in America and Newsome said he was going to stick around and try to bring more super bowls to Baltimore. 

FWIW, I think they brought Savage in for the reasons you describe above.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I don't see that happening. This is Douglas' first time to run the show himself. He has already done a good job of putting his ego aside to hire top notch quality advisors. I'm actually impressed by the removal of dumb pride especially with Savage coming aboard. Bringing Ozzie in would only lead people to believe Douglas can't do the job himself and that it was Ozzie who pulled the strings.   He has more than enough beef on the plate. I would be blown away if Ozzie was here.  And I would question whether or not Douglas really has the confidence to do the job. 

• Upvote 4

“Chad was extremely loyal, extremely hardworking,” DeCosta said. “He was great in the community and a great family man. Another guy who started out in college but worked a lot in pro personnel. He is a good evaluator and in finding talent on other teams, other rosters, through free agency. He had a really good feel for finding other players who fit our team.”

Looks like Chad Alexander, director of the mini-draft. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

With the title, "Senior Advisor," I'd tend to agree that he's there as a sounding board on everything. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Pretty sure that Newsome is still under contract with the Ravens.  This was planned over a long period so that nobody could poach DeCosta.  I think Bisciotti said he would be the highest paid scout in America and Newsome said he was going to stick around and try to bring more super bowls to Baltimore. 

Yes, you are correct. Found this from NBC Sports.

Assistant general manager Eric DeCosta, who joined the franchise during their maiden season as a entry-level employee in 1996, will transition in the general manager role. Bisciotti said this transition has been the plan in place when they restructured Newsome's contract a couple years ago. He will remain a consultant with the organization after the 2018 season.

2 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/analysis/preston/bs-sp-preston-ravens-jets-connections-20190624-story.html

This might be the best front office this team has ever had since 1969 when Weeb was running things. Even under Parcells it was Parcells pretty much over ruling everyone. 

Now , can our players play like the Ravens players ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

all i GAF about is if they can evaluate talent....  long and short

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I don't see that happening. This is Douglas' first time to run the show himself. He has already done a good job of putting his ego aside to hire top notch quality advisors. I'm actually impressed by the removal of dumb pride especially with Savage coming aboard. Bringing Ozzie in would only lead people to believe Douglas can't do the job himself and that it was Ozzie who pulled the strings.   He has more than enough beef on the plate. I would be blown away if Ozzie was here.  And I would question whether or not Douglas really has the confidence to do the job. 

Well said.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

So the underlying question is: just how bad was our former front office? It would seem the Mac regime was run like a Dairy Queen. Amazing that we were competitive at all.

The Johnson family is cooky loots.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

So the underlying question is: just how bad was our former front office? It would seem the Mac regime was run like a Dairy Queen. Amazing that we were competitive at all.

It was bad, but change doesn't always make it better. People were gushing about Mac and how much better than Idzik he was..some folks were rallying for mac up until the point he was fired.

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

It was bad, but change doesn't always make it better. People were gushing about Mac and how much better than Idzik he was..some folks were rallying for mac up until the point he was fired.

I remember how Idzik was the adult in the room that was going to control things and make adult decisions instead of letting everyone run roughshod over him like Tannenbaum.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/analysis/preston/bs-sp-preston-ravens-jets-connections-20190624-story.html

This might be the best front office this team has ever had since 1969 when Weeb was running things. Even under Parcells it was Parcells pretty much over ruling everyone. 

umm, time will tell.  The team hasn't done anything yet.

Although it is possible to waste money, I do think that the quality of executive teams is often directly proportional to the money spent on them.  

Under Woody the Jets under-invested in their Front Office.  The Jets front office now is among the highest paid in the NFL, I would think, and very experienced.  There is no doubt in my mind that we are going to see a much better football team.  It would also not surprise me to see Douglas do to Gase what Gase did to Mac.  

But we are not going to see real change until 2020, I don't think.  

22 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

This is exactly the kind of story I was hoping for (and expecting!) when we got Joe Douglas.  Great news!

46 minutes ago, varjet said:

Although it is possible to waste money, I do think that the quality of executive teams is often directly proportional to the money spent on them.  

Under Woody the Jets under-invested in their Front Office.  The Jets front office now is among the highest paid in the NFL, I would think, and very experienced.  There is no doubt in my mind that we are going to see a much better football team.  It would also not surprise me to see Douglas do to Gase what Gase did to Mac.  

But we are not going to see real change until 2020, I don't think.  

I would have no issue with that whatsoever.  Joe Douglas is the hire that I'm excited about.  Gase is a "we'll see" to me as of right now.

Some teams do a great job of building a team & have no QB. Macc got lucky & his move paid off when the Browns took Mayfield & the Giants passed on Darnold. The Jets are not a horrible team, they are more like a Frankenstein & Douglas will need to to rebuild the trenches on offense and figure out the backend of the D at CB plus secure more pass rushers. 

They're not far off, but they are a couple of injuries away from being f*cked because they have no depth at important positions. Jets stay healthy, they'll compete for a wildcard I believe this year.