Mets | Ishii Acquired Via Trade

Smizzy

Ishii is a better option for 5th starter than Ginter, Seo or Heilman. Peterson has another project to try to get him to have better control. It is amazing the amount of people he has walked over his career and still has been able to have over 500 record. His ability to pitch in the clutch and make key pitches-he has been able to do so far -looks like he is replacement for ulcer time to replace John Franco pitching when he gave myself ulcers.

Faba...You may have answered this yesterday and I may have missed it.

But why are the Mets caring so little about who is going to catch for them this year?

Right now the backup is Castro- and no not the Cuban dictator- he played for the Marlins. Piazza's experiment at first was a disaster so for better or worse I see him catching 120-130 games- get your running shoes on national leaguers.

Right now the backup is Castro- and no not the Cuban dictator- he played for the Marlins. Piazza's experiment at first was a disaster so for better or worse I see him catching 120-130 games- get your running shoes on national leaguers.

Faba...that is why I was shocked they traded Philips. He seemed like a great backup\swingman. Piazza won't be able to physically hold up for 130 games at this point behind the plate. I say next year he is DHing in the AL.

But I guess this means the Mets are high on the kid to fill in if needed.

This is really throwing Peterson in the fire and giving him a chance to show the world what hes really made of. He keeps picking up these high walk pitchers, so he must be able to work with their stuff better than others. Or at least thats what I'm hoping.

Phillips was a nice back-up but Randolph wanted a more defensive minded catcher backing up Piazza. I even heard some rumors regarding Charles Johnson so we shall see.

One of the plusses Trachsel always brought was being an innings eater- with Ishii the bullpen will be more taxed unless he can get better control so this is not good for one of the Met weaknesses-bullpen

Trading Vance Wilson was the mistake, not this move, IMO. The Mets needed another arm to replace Trachsel and got it done, I can see the reasoning behind it; plus, Phillips isn't that great defensively. Better than Piazza, but not great. However, prior to this, trading away Vance Wilson was the mistake because he IS a decent enough defensive catcher to give Piazza rest when he needs it.

Trading Vance Wilson was the mistake, not this move, IMO. The Mets needed another arm to replace Trachsel and got it done, I can see the reasoning behind it; plus, Phillips isn't that great defensively. Better than Piazza, but not great. However, prior to this, trading away Vance Wilson was the mistake because he IS a decent enough defensive catcher to give Piazza rest when he needs it.

Jetsfan80 - you are right 100 per cent Vance Wilson trade for nothing coming back from Tigers really is a mistake by Minaya that hurts them possibly now. Wilson was excellent defensively- the polar opposite of Piazz and or Phillips

Jetsfan80 - you are right 100 per cent Vance Wilson trade for nothing coming back from Tigers really is a mistake by Minaya that hurts them possibly now. Wilson was excellent defensively- the polar opposite of Piazza and or Phillips

Yeah, I just didnt understand the reasoning behind it. Good defensive catchers are hard to come by; Phillips was the only catcher I saw as being easily expendable because of that. Castro could be a solid defensive catcher, but I really think that, with Piazza, you need TWO good backup catchers on the roster.

Jetsfan80 - you are right 100 per cent Vance Wilson trade for nothing coming back from Tigers really is a mistake by Minaya that hurts them possibly now. Wilson was excellent defensively- the polar opposite of Piazz and or Phillips

The more I think about it, the more I think picking up Vance Wilson was one of our better offseason acquisitions. Finding a decent backup for Pudge, while at the same, time, allowing Brandon Inge to move to either 3rd or Centerfield on a much more permanent basis really helps us out.

BTW, wasn't Castro accused of raping a woman not too long ago?

The more I think about it, the more I think picking up Vance Wilson was one of our better offseason acquisitions. Finding a decent backup for Pudge, while at the same, time, allowing Brandon Inge to move to either 3rd or Centerfield on a much more permanent basis really helps us out.

BTW, wasn't Castro accused of raping a woman not too long ago?

Wilson is a good dependable guy as a fill in at catcher and give Pudge a break with DH- he should help you guys. The Castro case got settled - details exactly I do not know but he was not convicted of anything.

Agreed that trading Vance Wilson seems dumb now but this trade I think is a steal. Jason Phillips hasn't done sh*t since he was a Met. Ishii at #5 is better than Trachsel at #5.

And I understand everyone's assessment of Piazza and his health, but I seriously think a lot of his problems recently came from a general negative attitude about the team and about himself. This year hes happily married, the team is much improved and the expectations are real. I bet he has a better season than most will expect and I bet he plays more games than most will expect.

Archived