Best potential summer cuts/player-for-player trade candidates from other teams

I like Snead from the Ravens. He has some speed but with Robbie here he may be redundant.

I doubt the Bengals are letting any OL walk simply because their depth just took a big hit. If anything they will be looking to add not subtract.

I like Worley's youth and would maybe take a flier on him.

I like Hurns a lot but it seems he kinda disappeared in Dallas. I wanted him to sign here when he was a FA so if he hit the wire I would be interested.

Finney from the Steelers would get a look from me as well as I feel the more OL added the better.

None of the guys I picked are over 27 and thats how I would go about it from now on if were the Jets FO. The way the League is structured now no team will let a guy go in FA if he is good. With a few exceptions(forcing a trade, cap problems) this seems to be the way its going now. Development is key here. So picking up a young guy who, for whatever reason didn't pan out with one team is the way to go in todays NFL.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

"Summer of Vlad" possibility for 2019?!?!

Shouldn't there a disclosure for "Call the doctor if it lasts longer than 4 hours?" in the post?

Up until recently with Slauson, it's hard to believe they lasted this long in the league. I remember when some on this board wanted them to be all world right out of the shoot, like most picks. Not that they were even close to being all world but there is something to say about longevity in the NFL.

Trent Williams - Daryl Worley - Willie Snead. 

... and why no Eagles players on this list? I think that team is probably one that we would have a better chance to take cuts from since Douglas knows that roster very well.

I don't know who the players would be, but I am just asking.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Stark said:

Trent Williams - Daryl Worley - Willie Snead. 

... and why no Eagles players on this list? I think that team is probably one that we would have a better chance to take cuts from since Douglas knows that roster very well.

I don't know who the players would be, but I am just asking. 

There aren't any clear cap casualty candidates on their roster. A lot of the players on the top 2/3 of their roster would come with a significant dead cap hit if cut this offseason. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I like Snead from the Ravens. He has some speed but with Robbie here he may be redundant.

I doubt the Bengals are letting any OL walk simply because their depth just took a big hit. If anything they will be looking to add not subtract.

I like Worley's youth and would maybe take a flier on him.

I like Hurns a lot but it seems he kinda disappeared in Dallas. I wanted him to sign here when he was a FA so if he hit the wire I would be interested.

Finney from the Steelers would get a look from me as well as I feel the more OL added the better.

None of the guys I picked are over 27 and thats how I would go about it from now on if were the Jets FO. The way the League is structured now no team will let a guy go in FA if he is good. With a few exceptions(forcing a trade, cap problems) this seems to be the way its going now. Development is key here. So picking up a young guy who, for whatever reason didn't pan out with one team is the way to go in todays NFL.

Snead is ok I’d definitely take a look if he got cut we have no depth at wr

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So I guess there's no interest in the players from this list.  LOL. 

I'd be interested in the young Corners (Jones, Worley) and any of the above O-Line if they shake loose. 

d Worley isn’t getting cut by the Raiders. He will be one of the six cb’s.    Him and Conley will be the starting CB’s. Neither is Doug Martin whose the mentor for Josh Jacobs. Raiders RBs will be 1. Josh Jacobs 2. Doug Martin 3. jalen Richard 4 . Chris Warren 111 5. Fb Ingold/ k Smith  Rb Deandre Washington is trade bait or cut.

The cuts to watch are on the defensive tackle . Justin Ellis versus Eddy Vanderdoes . 

46 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Artie Burns is looking to be on the bubble  with Nelson and Layne on board for the Steelers. He would be an upgrade over Roberts, even if he had a down year last year

It makes little sense to cut Burns though from a financial perspective.  They'd save $1.8M off the cap but would incur a dead cap hit of $1.3M.  As a former first round pick he might still have something to contribute, so they might as well hold onto him for one more season and then let him hit free agency. 

That dead hit would be the same even if they trade him, so a player-for-player or pick-for-player deal would have to be a decent one. 

4 hours ago, Drums said:

What would he go for? 

There's really so little precedent for kickers being traded that I have no idea.  Gould is probably a top-5 kicker in the league right now and while I don't think Catanzaro will be bad, I'd take Gould over him as a definite upgrade if the opportunity was there.  The problem is CHI really seems to need a Kicker and he's said he'd love to go back there.  I doubt the Jets even dip their toes in that pool.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So I guess there's no interest in the players from this list.  LOL. 

I'd be interested in the young Corners (Jones, Worley) and any of the above O-Line if they shake loose. 

All of those guys suck. The Jets should only burn resources if there’s a surprise free agent/trade candidate who can directly help Darnold. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to finish 7-9 and hand Joe Douglas and the Front Office All Stars a rebuild offseason with a bunch of cap space and some draft capital. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetpain said:

Just to ruin my night I'd love to know what Vlad has made in career earnings. 

I recall he was a shoe-in for the ‘Big Ugly’ contest Rex used to run. I’m sure that helped pad his savings. 

Moral of the story: sometimes being ugly and bad at your job DOES pay off. 

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You've literally never been right about anything so I'll be interested to see where Worley and Martin go when they're cut. 

Go save this thread , and you can take it to the bank that neither player will be cut. ( obviously injure would change that)  .       The Raiders top three cb's are 1. G Conley - their best cover CB, and only injury can prevent him from becoming a shutdown CB . 2 D Worley - solid number 2 cb who eagle traded   

A speed Wr to Panthers  last year to acquire.( never played for Eagles as a couple weeks after that trade was arrested after cops found him passed out a Mile away from Eagles  headquarters with the car running .( found a loaded gun in car)  while  not the perfect fit for the defense .  He 's starting till T Mullen or I Johnson ( better fit for their defense) are ready.  3. Lamarcus Joyner can play variety of positions on defense , but will be the nickel CB. 

I 'm personally not a big fan of Doug Martin , but Gruden loves the guy. ( probably more than his brother). Plans to play both him and Jacobs in the backfield together a lot .   1 Josh Jacobs 2. Doug Martin 3. Jalen Richard - dangerous receiving threat 4. Chris Warren 111- big  short yardage back they probably team with Josh Jacobs in the backfield on those short yardage situations 5. Fb InGold / K Smith .

8 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Go save this thread , and you can take it to the bank that neither player will be cut. ( obviously injure would change that)  .       The Raiders top three cb's are 1. G Conley - their best cover CB, and only injury can prevent him from becoming a shutdown CB . 2 D Worley - solid number 2 cb who eagle traded   

A speed Wr to Panthers  last year to acquire.( never played for Eagles as a couple weeks after that trade was arrested after cops found him passed out a Mile away from Eagles  headquarters with the car running .( found a loaded gun in car)  while  not the perfect fit for the defense .  He 's starting till T Mullen or I Johnson ( better fit for their defense) are ready.  3. Lamarcus Joyner can play variety of positions on defense , but will be the nickel CB. 

I 'm personally not a big fan of Doug Martin , but Gruden loves the guy. ( probably more than his brother). Plans to play both him and Jacobs in the backfield together a lot .   1 Josh Jacobs 2. Doug Martin 3. Jalen Richard - dangerous receiving threat 4. Chris Warren 111- big  short yardage back they probably team with Josh Jacobs in the backfield on those short yardage situations 5. Fb InGold / K Smith .

It's literally impossible to read anything you write past 3-4 words. Holy crap. You write like Robby Anderson articulates. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 3:13 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Here are some veteran players across the league who it would make sense for teams to cut OR trade in a player-for-player move this summer, given their cap savings and position on the depth chart.  I've included their age and 2018 PFF grades. 

Any names of interest on the list below?

Cowboys

• WR Allen Hurns (27, 65.5)  --  $5M in cap savings, $1.25M in dead money

Got 1 right so far!  :)

On 6/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, T0mShane said:

All of those guys suck. The Jets should only burn resources if there’s a surprise free agent/trade candidate who can directly help Darnold. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to finish 7-9 and hand Joe Douglas and the Front Office All Stars a rebuild offseason with a bunch of cap space and some draft capital. 

kind of thinking the same thing.  there are no 'wow' factors in that list and it's quite possible that the current jets players are every bit as good as the guys on that list.  even the oline guys.  sometimes the best move is no move.

I of course looked at the centers first (that's all I care about). But there is hardly any chance at all the two guys you listed -- B.J. Finney in Pittsburgh and Trey Hopkins in Cincinnati--are going to be available. They were both restricted free agents and their respective teams put second-round tenders on them before resigning them. They obviously think highly of these guys.