How much do you care about the Jets?

jgb

Which best describes you?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Tell it

• Live and die by this team. A loss sends me into a tailspin for the whole week.
    • Care deeply. A win gives me a buzz and a loss wrecks my mood for a few days.
    • I care. Love a win but only embarrassing blowouts really piss me off.
    • There are other things in life. A win is great and a loss sucks but come Monday life goes on.
    • t0m shane

7 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Football is entertainment and I treat it as such. I like to see wins and root for the team but I don't owe the team anything and I am definitely not letting entertainment dictate my life. 

Don’t disagree but if it was pure entertainment, you’d be just as content to watch random teams play. Fandom by definition involves an emotional (illogical) element.

12 hours ago, jgb said:

What about someone who posts 10,000 messages on a football team forum?

in 11 years its really not that much. but i never said caring about the team and how it does was an issue. but if it's affecting your mood and day for he rest of the week when they lose then you might be taking it a bit too seriously

Up until about the  buttfumble” I leaned towards options 1 & 2. The past 7-8 years I’ve been mostly option 4. A few years i missed a bunch of games and could care less (especially the geno smith years and the McCown year). 

Darnold has given me hope. When he sat out last year, I stopped watching the team again, then when he came back I was given even more hope. 

All my faith lies in Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, SAR I said:

There are 18,000 PSL owners who write season ticket checks to the tune of about $5,000 to the Jets every April.

They are the ones who care about the Jets.

SAR I

WOAH... Never knew an individual's loyalty and passion were quantified by monetary value. Teach me more, wise creature....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

in 11 years its really not that much. but i never said caring about the team and how it does was an issue. but if it's affecting your mood and day for he rest of the week when they lose then you might be taking it a bit too seriously

Compared to anyone who don’t post here we are the insane ones. Everything is relative.

I truly wish the Redskins had a better name (and owner, and roster and color scheme and logo.....) so I could abandon this sh*t-show of a franchise and finally watch home games on local TV or at the stadium in the area I've lived 3/4 of my life in.  If we ever get a Richmond Generals expansion franchise I'm soooooo out.
Sadly, none of that will ever happen, so I guess the 40-odd years of hardcore fandom I've invested in the Jets will simply have to continue unabated.....
(Voted Cares Deeply, because I do).

Lol. I feel the same way man. It’s like the gambling trap. I’ve already put 35 years in and lost. I can’t leave now right before my luck changes.... now can I???

Moving to Charlottesville this year, I’ve decided to go to UVA games and try that on for size but they suck at football too. Oh well. Too bad I didn’t jump on the uva basketball in time huh?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Lol. I feel the same way man. It’s like the gambling trap. I’ve already put 35 years in and lost. I can’t leave now right before my luck changes.... now can I???
emoji23.png
Moving to Charlottesville this year, I’ve decided to go to UVA games and try that on for size but they suck at football too. Oh well. Too bad I didn’t jump on the uva basketball in time huh?

I tried to pick a winning team in the AAF, and I succeeded. Then the league went under. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know about a tailspin but I would definitely say there's been a dark cloud and that's been going on for years. As I've stated in the past I'm not really into fantasy football or the like. I actually really appreciate the coaching and the team ownership aspect from the top down. I actually root for The Underdogs. I'm very happy with this current coaching staff more than I have been probably ever, and I really think we're going to be gritty contenders. I think the entire season is up in the air. I know we're going to play tough that's for sure. I love my Jets and my man cave is green. I think this is the season they make us proud again.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I'll be honest, Darnold was the only reason I started watching Jet games again after the Sanchize implosion. 

His final 4 was the most intriguing and satisfying span in my Jets fandom in over half a decade. Even though we went 1-3 and surrendered almost 35 ppg, simply because he was dominating and showing things I've never seen from a Jet QB.

• Upvote 1

The Jets were the first team I personally chose to care about. I was a Yankee fan as a small child but I feel like it just happened to me. Reggie was larger than life and my father and brother liked the Mets. 

Watching Ken O'Brien as a rookie did something to me even though my father and brother were Giant fans. I was almost 15 at the time. I still am upset that they never got anywhere. I actually stopped watching for awhile when O'Brien was replaced with Boomer. I remember vividly 4-12, 6-10, 8-8, then back to 4-12 with Nagle. Then I'd had enough. The Boomer press conference with #7 pushed me over the edge at the time. 

Donald gives me the same feeling as O'Brien did in 85. Hopefully this time it works out better this time. The new staff gives me a greater hope, especially with the perspective my years of experience allow me. I will bet my own money that we win 10+ games this year and that the future is even brighter. 

On a lighter note, my father and brother are Rangers fans but I hated the Mets and Knicks so much that I refused to be an Islander fan. (They are the same color scheme.)  I guess much of my fandom is a rebellion of my family or maybe just naturally drawn to the underdog. I had no love of hockey until the Devils arrived but I did love them when they arrived. I watched them progress from a joke to a dynasty until I did get tired of winning. 

I can't wait until I get tired of the Jets winning. I believe Darnold is going to bring that. It will be very sweet for it to happen with our own home grown talent. 

There is no sport I love close to football and don't feel there is any bigger fan than me, but I do know that it's possible to progress from a joke to a dynasty. There's nothing better and I believe it will happen soon. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

emoji23.png

It's too bad you missed Al Groh.  :)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The Jets were the first team I personally chose to care about. I was a Yankee fan as a small child but I feel like it just happened to me. Reggie was larger than life and my father and brother liked the Mets. 

Watching Ken O'Brien as a rookie did something to me even though my father and brother were Giant fans. I was almost 15 at the time. I still am upset that they never got anywhere. I actually stopped watching for awhile when O'Brien was replaced with Boomer. I remember vividly 4-12, 6-10, 8-8, then back to 4-12 with Nagle. Then I'd had enough. The Boomer press conference with #7 pushed me over the edge at the time. 

Donald gives me the same feeling as O'Brien did in 85. Hopefully this time it works out better this time. The new staff gives me a greater hope, especially with the perspective my years of experience allow me. I will bet my own money that we win 10+ games this year and that the future is even brighter. 

On a lighter note, my father and brother are Rangers fans but I hated the Mets and Knicks so much that I refused to be an Islander fan. (They are the same color scheme.)  I guess much of my fandom is a rebellion of my family or maybe just naturally drawn to the underdog. I had no love of hockey until the Devils arrived but I did love them when they arrived. I watched them progress from a joke to a dynasty until I did get tired of winning. 

I can't wait until I get tired of the Jets winning. I believe Darnold is going to bring that. It will be very sweet for it to happen with our own home grown talent. 

There is no sport I love close to football and don't feel there is any bigger fan than me, but I do know that it's possible to progress from a joke to a dynasty. There's nothing better and I believe it will happen soon. 

You're betting on 10+ wins for the Jets?  Do we know what their under/over is right now?  Wasn't it like 7 or 8 prior to the draft? (or maybe I'm way off on that?)

Btw, I'm a Rangers fan but I think the Devils are going to be great soon (maybe even this year).  I think Jack Hughes is going to be an absolute superstar.  I'm probably in the minority of Ranger fans but I really was hoping that you guys would take Kakko over him (though I obviously hope Kakko is as good as advertised).  I hate that I have to root against Hughes.  He seems like a terrific kid.  

• Upvote 2

The bigger question is ... Do I give a **** about football anymore. The game we are watching today bores the **** out me.

I've been a Jets fan since 78 so I watch because I'm invested ... And they are my favorite NFL team. But over the past 5 years my interest in NFL football has waned greatly. Which is saying a LOT since I used to schedule my life around it.

I don't know ... Maybe if they start winning consistently I'll feel differently ... But the planets aligned with rules changes that suited the Pats and Brady ... And now I feel like I'm watching some weird amalgamation of basketball, lacrosse and soccer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

For the three hours during the game, nohting else matters.  Family problems, issues at work, whatever might be stressing me out; it all goes away during the game.  Nothing else matters.  But over the last few years, when it has been obvious that the Jets wouldn't contend, the losses have not stuck with me. 

Edge of the seat, hanging on every play, tension building as the game goes on, I have had those feelings on Saturdays watching the Dawgs, but not on Sunday, not for a while; with the excpetion of the 2015 season which we all know did not end well.  I want that feeling again on Sundays.

Last losses that really stuck with me were the Bills game to close out 2015 and the AFCCG in Pitt.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

A lot of people buy PSL's who don't give two sh*ts about the Jets.  Having a lot of money is not a prerequisite for being a fan any more than buying a Jet Ski proves you are the only type of person who truly loves water sports. 

@SAR I, you embody some of the most unlikable qualities in a person.  And I pity you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You're betting on 10+ wins for the Jets?  Do we know what their under/over is right now?  Wasn't it like 7 or 8 prior to the draft? (or maybe I'm way off on that?)

Btw, I'm a Rangers fan but I think the Devils are going to be great soon (maybe even this year).  I think Jack Hughes is going to be an absolute superstar.  I'm probably in the minority of Ranger fans but I really was hoping that you guys would take Kakko over him (though I obviously hope Kakko is as good as advertised).  I hate that I have to root against Hughes.  He seems like a terrific kid.  

Yeah the Devils have a lot of good young prospects from Hughes to Nico and even Zacha on the third line. I'm ready for them to start winning again.

The Rags, I'm sorry to say, seem to be building the right way finally. Too many superstars can't win a cup. It's not baseball.

It's going to be quite a division for the foreseeable future. I'm ready for some playoff series like we had in 94. I didn't get much sleep for a couple weeks there. 

That said, hockey does not compare to football. I'm a little tired of apologizing for my team. They need to give me some ammunition to fight back against Giant fans.

The last time the future was this promising is in 85. Here's hoping things turn out better than last time.