PFF ranks the Jets roster at 31

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I love pff when it agrees with any of my preconceived notions.

I hate pff and it is junk when it disagrees with any of my preconceived notions.

PFF gave Darron Lee a ridiculously high rating based on one fluke game 

Those guys are wrong plenty of times

17 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Jets were the third worst team in the NFL in 2018.  I can't particularly blame PFF for not completely changing their view of the team based primarily on an extraordinarily expensive ILB and a RB that hasn't played in a year and a half.  After all, every other bottom of the league team is making plenty of their own roster moves as well that, before anyone steps on the field, are all viewed as upgrades as well.

Don't get me wrong, do I think the Jets will do much better than #31 this year when all is said and done?  Absolutely.  But on the other hand, you can't blame anyone taking a league-wide perspective from giving the Jets the benefit of the doubt more than other teams.  The overwhelming majority of the reason for Jets optimism is related to changes to the coaching staff and front office (neither of which are factored in here) and improvement of the Jets' young players, which PFF isn't going to make assumptions on, but did still make the point of acknowledging as much with Darnold.

You don't have to particularly like it, but they don't exactly have anything out for the Jets either.

League wide over the last 4 years, the Jets have 3rd worst record in the NFL.  Over the last 3 years, they have the 2nd worst record in the NFL.

Saying the Jets suck is about as accurate of an assessment as one can make and you dont need fancy stats to do it. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

League wide over the last 4 years, the Jets have 3rd worst record in the NFL.  Over the last 3 years, they have the 2nd worst record in the NFL.

Saying the Jets suck is about as accurate of an assessment as one can make and you dont need fancy stats to do it. 

Yeah but the jets have added a significant amount of talent this offseason plus we have a real coaching staff now plus Sam has more experience now

I don’t care about PFF 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Stop it

The coaching wasn’t great, but let’s not act like these players are any good. 

The coaching and the roster can both suck. 

What am I stopping, and what did I say that is different than you, loosen up those panties, they are way too tight

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah but the jets have added a significant amount of talent this offseason plus we have a real coaching staff now plus Sam has more experience now

I don’t care about PFF 

Agreed, if you saw my first post I said; I feel like this isnt factoring in Bell, Mosley, Crowder, Poole and Osemele but then I looked again and it does.  PFF just had them scored low.

PFF is terrible but calling the Jets one of the worst teams in the league isnt crazy.  They've been bottom 3 in the league.  And sure, they have a new coaching staff but for as much as Gase has won me over after some initial concerns, he didnt exactly do what he's known for being great at in Miami ie; creating a dynamic offense. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t care about PFF 

Remember Philadelphia's "Dream Team"? Adding free agents (picked by mac, no less) doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get better.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t care about PFF 

Significant is a stretch. Every decent team already had what the Jets added. Add on Darnold is still an unknown right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Jets were the third worst team in the NFL in 2018.  I can't particularly blame PFF for not completely changing their view of the team based primarily on an extraordinarily expensive ILB and a RB that hasn't played in a year and a half.  After all, every other bottom of the league team is making plenty of their own roster moves as well that, before anyone steps on the field, are all viewed as upgrades as well.

Don't get me wrong, do I think the Jets will do much better than #31 this year when all is said and done?  Absolutely.  But on the other hand, you can't blame anyone taking a league-wide perspective from giving the Jets the benefit of the doubt more than other teams.  The overwhelming majority of the reason for Jets optimism is related to changes to the coaching staff and front office (neither of which are factored in here) and improvement of the Jets' young players, which PFF isn't going to make assumptions on, but did still make the point of acknowledging as much with Darnold.

You don't have to particularly like it, but they don't exactly have anything out for the Jets either.

PFF's insight is only valuable when they rank a rarely-active safety 11th in the NFL (9th for most of the season) and a dumped-for-nothing ILB ranked top 5-10 for most of the season. Then they really know what they're talking about, and the rankings are to be taken seriously as objective proof of player wonderfulness.  #confirmationbias and such.

We can't honestly expect them to factor in early/mid Darnold vs late Darnold (nor do they make this distinction for other teams' young players who improved as the season went on) and subjectively rationalize which late-season improvements on paper were real and which were Geno. Nor do I expect them to grade Osemele as an all-pro right now, after he probably mailed it in on a team that was clearly tanking. If he wasn't mailing it in then the ranking will be accurate; if he was then his 54 will be closer to 84, and such a difference will also in turn affect rankings of the players around him on the line, the RB, the QB, and those the QB throws to. 

Meanwhile the team's overall ranking of 31 may itself benefit greatly from rookie rankings (or are rookies not factored in at all?). The 3 highest player rankings on defense are all players who've never seen the field in an NFL game before. The 4th rookie listed isn't going to start unless he's surprisingly better right away than that 69.8 rating (not that they'd likely have Darryl Roberts ranked any better as a full time outside corner). Truth is if the pass rush gets the extra bump we all hope for, every DB on the team will have a higher ranking domino effect like I described with Osemele above. They'll successfully be defending poor/rushed/tipped throws even if they actually play no better: they could get beaten deep by a solid 2+ yards and easily pick off a duck that was under-thrown by 5 yards, perhaps making their shoddy coverage get graded as elite on the play. 

Point is like with just about everything in life, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Better overall play by one will (generally) raise others, who will then raise others still (or lower in the opposite instances). An elite #1 WR opens things up for other receivers; put those same "#2" receivers as the top targets on other teams and often they suddenly don't play so great and curiously can't seem to get open. Years ago replacing Adrien Clarke with even a declined Alan Faneca had a massive impact on the young LT and C that straddled the LG position. Things like that, and when the improved position is at QB it has that much greater impact. 

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

You mean the team that had the 3rd pick in the draft coming off a 4-12 record has a bad roster? No way!

Exactly.  And Miami had a great off-season, not like they lost players etc.    Or that a big part of the reason we sucked was bad coaching.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t care about PFF 

Well what did you expect? The last 3 seasons have been downright abysmal. 14 wins. Yeah the roster sucks. Look at it this way: nowhere to go but up.

• Upvote 1

Even if you don't think PFF's numbers are legit, this evaluation does match up pretty well with my eyeball test from last season.  Sad but true, f**k Mac.   

Right. We may not like it and there is more potential than they account for but last year was atrocious. The math behind it all is just even worse than it looked. And it looked terrible.

We had almost no answer for anything last season other than Darold running around and making something happen. Our D looked lost more than half of the time and bowles stood there rolling his eyes on the sideline.

I like that the numbers are so piss poor. Let the first few teams read all about it. Then let’s punch them in the F*cking faces. We have Week 4 bye. We gotta take care of that early chunk of the season before our real season begins. 3-0 into the bye!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Agreed, if you saw my first post I said; I feel like this isnt factoring in Bell, Mosley, Crowder, Poole and Osemele but then I looked again and it does.  PFF just had them scored low.

PFF is terrible but calling the Jets one of the worst teams in the league isnt crazy.  They've been bottom 3 in the league.  And sure, they have a new coaching staff but for as much as Gase has won me over after some initial concerns, he didnt exactly do what he's known for being great at in Miami ie; creating a dynamic offense. 

PFF rated Carpenter as better than Osemele

That is retard

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Pac said:

Couldn't care less what the TMZ of football has to say about the roster.  When you build from the ground up you have to expect some lean years.

The roster is now playoff ready.  Rejoice.

At least TMZ is entertaining in a junk food sorta way sometimes

PFF is a bunch of pretend football nerds who look at end of year stats and just compile into an algorithm so somehow career scrubs like Ryan Tannehill and Marcus Mariota get rated above Sam Darnold

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

PFF rated Carpenter as better than Osemele

That is retard

Not that it makes them an end-all authority, but their rankings are based solely on the 2018 season (or in Bell's case, the last season he played). Anyone here suggesting they followed Osemele on every snap last year is full of it; apparently he had a pretty awful season.

Oakland had enough cap space to keep him, and there are others they could have let go of instead to make a little more room, yet they let him go for very little anyway. 

Osemele's potential upside is obvious, and PFF's rankings are and have always been inconsistent, but he's not coming off a good season. 

• Upvote 1

all this PFF bashing aside

Jets fans are in the bubble 

yes the team will be better than last year 

guess what, every other team is also trying to get better than they were last year 

and the Jets are still like 30 mil under the salary cap 

so yeah they maybe aren't 31st maybe they are 28th or whatever. PFF isn't off by an order of magnitude on this one 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not that it makes them an end-all authority, but their rankings are based solely on the 2018 season (or in Bell's case, the last season he played). Anyone here suggesting they followed Osemele on every snap last year is full of it; apparently he had a pretty awful season.

Oakland had enough cap space to keep him, and there are others they could have let go of instead to make a little more room, yet they let him go for very little anyway. 

Osemele's potential upside is obvious, and PFF's rankings are and have always been inconsistent, but he's not coming off a good season. 

And neither is Carpenter but point taken

• Upvote 1

Just now, bitonti said:

all this PFF bashing aside

Jets fans are in the bubble 

yes the team will be better than last year 

guess what, every other team is also trying to get better than they were last year 

and the Jets are still like 30 mil under the salary cap 

so yeah they maybe aren't 31st maybe they are 28th or whatever. PFF isn't off by an order of magnitude on this one 

It’s all about if Sam can take the next step and become the elite qb we know he can be.  A big factor is if his receivers can stay healthy

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Then they're going to be terribly embarrassed in January when we make the playoffs.

SAR I

Barring Injury we will make the playoffs, no doubt in my mind.

No mention of Mosely, Williamson, Q and Leo our Defense could very well be at an elite level next year.

• Upvote 1