PFF ranks the Jets roster at 31

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

It’s all about if Sam can take the next step and become the elite qb we know he can be.  A big factor is if his receivers can stay healthy

I think anyone calling for the Jets to contend for a playoff spot is looking for Darnold to take that next step and with an emerging Herndon and Bell as outlets along with Ty Montgomery and Crowder no reason he can't take that next step. It would be extremely disappointing if he didn't.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

all this PFF bashing aside

Jets fans are in the bubble 

yes the team will be better than last year 

guess what, every other team is also trying to get better than they were last year 

and the Jets are still like 30 mil under the salary cap 

so yeah they maybe aren't 31st maybe they are 28th or whatever. PFF isn't off by an order of magnitude on this one 

No they are way off they are just betting on the Jets being the Jets ...if you look at the talent on this roster we should be 15-20 with the potential to be even better than that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

...if you look at the talent on this roster we should be 15-20 with the potential to be even better than that. 

This is engaging in wishful thinking

Herndon their best rated weapon is suspended for 2 games. the line is marginal. the defense lacks cornerbacks, and the legend of Polite and Blake Cashman aside, pass rush. 

oh and special teams, the only place where they had pro bowlers and all pros (other than President Mal) were gutted in the offseason  

put it another way Bowles was coaching like half a football team. Gase is coaching about 3/4 of a football team. It's still not a complete team by any stretch

we can sugar coat it all we want (yes maybe Darnold will become awesome) but incomplete teams get their faces pushed into the carpet as the season progresses

did I mention they play the SB champs 2x? 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is engaging in wishful thinking

Herndon their best rated weapon is suspended for 2 games. the line is marginal. the defense lacks cornerbacks, and the legend of Polite and Blake Cashman aside, pass rush. Herndon missing 2 games is hardly the end of the world we have two players that can and have played the position and are fully able to catch passes in Enunwa and Montgomery. Im sure they will be just fine in filling in and we could also lean a bit more on Bell and Crowder. Corner backs are usually as good as the pressure you put on a QB our pressure up the middle will be formidable and our LB's are now in the upper echelon of the league. I'm not worried about the defense at all. Legend of Polite and Cashman ? Really is this how we respond to Rookies now ? Legend ? 

oh and special teams, the only place where they had pro bowlers and all pros (other than President Mal) were gutted in the offseason . On Special teams we lost Roberts and that equates to Gutted ? are you serious ? Special teams are rated on coverage and we have a good coach and some very good young players to rely on in that regard. I'm way more concerned with the coverage game that returning kicks  an art that has been destroyed by the NFL not the Jets. Sure we may not be the punt return team we were but thats an unknown at this stage as Special teams always is from year to year.

put it another way Bowles was coaching like half a football team. Gase is coaching about 3/4 of a football team. It's still not a complete team by any stretch. When it comes to coaching we are light years ahead of that debacle of a staff we had the past 5 years it was almost a joke to watch already you are seeing players make comments that if you read between the lines show they are responding much better to this staff and the direction they want to take this team.

we can sugar coat it all we want (yes maybe Darnold will become awesome) but incomplete teams get their faces pushed into the carpet as the season progresses. We finally get what everyone thinks is our Elite Franchise QB and you seem to have no optimism at all that he will take that next step with the addition of Bell and Crowder and the next step by Herndon this offense will move the chains. If Jared Goff can do it then Sam Darnold can do it same elite RB (Gurley/Bell) taking the pressure off of the QB will turn Darnold into what we all know he can be and if he does not take that next step next year with the skill players we added I would be very surprised. When it comes to the O-Line we are not nearly as bad as people think. When you run a crappy offensive scheme and your OL is what seemed to be out of sync half the time you struggle just like our offense has struggled ...with a new coaching staff I think it will make a world of difference on how this offense performs

did I mention they play the SB champs 2x? Gee I didn't realize that thanks for reminding me. This team is going to give the Pats trouble we always play them tough the question is will we be able to finish them and not lose the game in the 4th quarter like we so often do. Thats where the leaders of this team and a new attitude will take over. You can Quote me the Jets will win 10 + games this year and I think the only thing that holds us back is the possibility of injury just like any other team. 

Responses in bold

If you want to look at all the possible negatives and not include any of the possible positives then yeah you would be a miserable Jets fan. I look at the season in an optimistic manner and save my misery for the end of the year. I don't think that will be the case this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Responses in bold

If you want to look at all the possible negatives and not include any of the possible positives then yeah you would be a miserable Jets fan. I look at the season in an optimistic manner and save my misery for the end of the year. I don't think that will be the case this year.

beside Mal, the best player on the team last year was probably Jason Myers. the place kicker not the returner. 

look I hope you are correct but this team going from 4 wins to 10+ is just setting yourself up for a crotch kick 

I prefer my way, expecting disaster and hope they prove me wrong

i adopted this mindset somewhere around the the Geno Smith era 

spoiler alert, they haven't proven me wrong yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

The only really interesting thing here is that they  graded Bell and Mosely (who we're clearly counting on to make an impact) so poorly. I don't put a ton of stock in PFF, but it's not great.

Obviously top to bottom it's not a great roster and part of the reason for optimism is that Darnold will look more like he did during the last four weeks than he did during the first nine, so I'm not super down on it.

At least Quennin and Polite dominated in college.

8 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The Jets have won a total of 14 games over the last 3 years. Is it really that much of a stretch to say they have a bad roster?

Our roster this year is much better, to say we are 31st is insane.  Even if we didn't make all the improvements the talent would be better than 31st.

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The only really interesting thing here is that they  graded Bell and Mosely (who we're clearly counting on to make an impact) so poorly. I don't put a ton of stock in PFF, but it's not great.

Obviously top to bottom it's not a great roster and part of the reason for optimism is that Darnold will look more like he did during the last four weeks than he did during the first nine, so I'm not super down on it.

At least Quennin and Polite dominated in college.

Mosely being so low threw me for a loop. Brother was a second team all-pro. how does he have such an average overall number?

14 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

That's about right. The Jets have a very untalented roster. Mac aimed for cheap sh*t and that's exactly what he got.

But....  well, yes, MAC sucked.  FITZ and McCown are symbols of MACS mediocrity and that in no way speaks poorly of them. But in 4 years he trotted out NO ONE who was a real QB in a QB driven league. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

IDK, maybe it's me.  I see a middle of the league roster.

If a few young players step up, Jets could surprise and go to the playoffs.  Just my opinion

Feels kinda like the post-Fisher Rams where McVay shows up and gets the young QB upright and the whole program takes off. You can have a .500 roster and go 12-4 if the QB makes the jump. Seems to be what Gase is counting on. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Feels kinda like the post-Fisher Rams where McVay shows up and gets the young QB upright and the whole program takes off. You can have a .500 roster and go 12-4 if the QB makes the jump. Seems to be what Gase is counting on. 

If Gase were counting on it, he probably wouldn't have had the GM executed. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Jets were the third worst team in the NFL in 2018.  I can't particularly blame PFF for not completely changing their view of the team based primarily on an extraordinarily expensive ILB and a RB that hasn't played in a year and a half.  After all, every other bottom of the league team is making plenty of their own roster moves as well that, before anyone steps on the field, are all viewed as upgrades as well.

Don't get me wrong, do I think the Jets will do much better than #31 this year when all is said and done?  Absolutely.  But on the other hand, you can't blame anyone taking a league-wide perspective for not giving the Jets the benefit of the doubt more than other teams.  The overwhelming majority of the reason for Jets optimism is related to changes to the coaching staff and front office (neither of which are factored in here) and improvement of the Jets' young players, which PFF isn't going to make assumptions on, but did still make the point of acknowledging as much with Darnold.

You don't have to particularly like it, but they don't exactly have anything out for the Jets either.

I think this is a pretty good assessment. The Jets more or less added very expensive players to what are considered not very valuable positions and still havent addressed plenty of areas. The big hope I have is if Darnold develops big they should have a pretty decent offense if the line holds up. If he develops more like a Mariota type it probably will be a tough season where, by the end of the year, we wonder why we have two receivers that basically are going to wind up doing similar things and that he needs a lot more help. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

But....  well, yes, MAC sucked.  FITZ and McCown are symbols of MACS mediocrity and that in no way speaks poorly of them. But in 4 years he trotted out NO ONE who was a real QB in a QB driven league. 

In many ways, you pay for what you get when it comes to players. For 2016 and 2017, Mac was ALWAYS looking for the cheapest way out possible. He must have been convinced he had yet another "get out of jail" free card? Well, apparently he miscalculated on that.

• Upvote 2

Probably a indictment on our front office more than on the quality of the players.  There's potential talent on this team but the amount that develops under the new coaches is up in the air.  The OL and secondary depth aren't doing us any favors with critics either.

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

If Gase were counting on it, he probably wouldn't have had the GM executed. 

Maybe the Gase plan for helping Darnold didn’t align with drafting a pudgy DT and a fat, lazy, possibly drug-addled OLB and instead prioritized drafting an offensive playmaker a wee bit more dynamic than Trevon Wesco?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jason423 said:

I think this is a pretty good assessment. The Jets more or less added very expensive players to what are considered not very valuable positions and still havent addressed plenty of areas. The big hope I have is if Darnold develops big they should have a pretty decent offense if the line holds up. If he develops more like a Mariota type it probably will be a tough season where, by the end of the year, we wonder why we have two receivers that basically are going to wind up doing similar things and that he needs a lot more help. 

The disappointment will be real if Darnold develops like Mariota. 

Agree that big money on an ILB and RB is a bit head-scratching. The hope has to be that Bell and Crowder are major upgrades in the passing game and give Sam a warm, comfy feeling. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe the Gase plan for helping Darnold didn’t align with drafting a pudgy DT and a fat, lazy, possibly drug-addled OLB and instead prioritized drafting an offensive playmaker a wee bit more dynamic than Trevon Wesco?

As if there is such a player. 

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You have to look at the ratings team by team and player by player to see how absurd they are. For example, Zeke Elliot somehow got a 73 while a Frank Gorevwas in the 80s. At that point I stopped reading the ratings or giving angry credence to them.

Yea PFF is not the Bible like people make it out to be

23 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Lol. No ****ing chance. I think they’re just looking for a reaction. 

It is a ranking, not a report card where they can give every team an “F” to get a reaction. Each team fills one slot. Your “theory” would mean that PFF specifically targeted Jets fans for a reaction at the expense of others.

And given how easily-triggered we are, I think you’re absolutely right! 

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Underachieved what? Four wins was more than I expected. 

And these "Bowles was responsible for most of our problems" people continue to ignore the fact that no player the Jets have let go has gone on to success elsewhere in a very long time. 

Unless of course you count stocking AAF rosters as a positive. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I also thought that adding Osemele was a big upgrade, but PFF rates him as our worst 0-lineman, likely because he played injured last year - another flaw with analytics.

No K Osemele in a man on man power blocking scheme is an elite guard. K Osemele in a zone blocking scheme is a very poor fit.    There is a reason the Raiders traded Osemele.  

I wasn’t sure what blocking scheme Gase ran, and was surprised it was mostly zone.  That was a dumb trade, as you want to trade for offense lineman that fits the  blocking scheme.

13 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Our roster this year is much better, to say we are 31st is insane.  Even if we didn't make all the improvements the talent would be better than 31st.

I agree that we shouldn't be ranked 31st. But we're coming off yet another 4 win season. We still have a suspect O-Line, I love Sam but he's still unproven, we added an ILB and RB (who didn't play last year) but those aren't premium positions. We have a lot to prove still.

I think we have a chance to be good and surprise people but I can still see why people don't believe in us. We haven't given anyone a reason yet to believe we'll be a good team.

12 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

No K Osemele in a man on man power blocking scheme is an elite guard. K Osemele in a zone blocking scheme is a very poor fit.    There is a reason the Raiders traded Osemele.  

I wasn’t sure what blocking scheme Gase ran, and was surprised it was mostly zone.  That was a dumb trade, as you want to trade for offense lineman that fits the  blocking scheme.

I think all the ZBS vs. man blocking stuff gets overblown.  EVERY team runs some form of ZBS at times.  It is more a matter of emphasis.  This isn't the 70's where one guy is going to have a system of small, smart mobile offensive linemen be successful.  Pollack did pretty well in Dallas, those guys weren't exactly small and nimble and the run game in Cincinnati improved pretty well last year. 

“We’re not here playing chess, I know that,” Pollack said in May. “The last time I checked its football and you have to kick the guy’s ass who’s across from you. Nothing’s changed. I don’t care what we do with the rules... at the end of the day it’s a physical, violent game and you have to be mentally tough. I can get a lot of drunk fraternity guys to start fights, but that’s not football, that’s mentally weak.”

It sounds to me like Frank Pollack can use a guy like Kelechi Osemele.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The 71 is their rating using their own methodology. It doesn't mean there are 70 RBs ranked ahead of him. 

I was referring to the #31 team rank not Bell. Christmas I would hope there's not 70 RB ahead of Bell. lol

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who would YOU have drafted instead of Q at #3 ? You NEVER did say and I've been asking you since the draft.

3 hours ago, slats said:

The disappointment will be real if Darnold develops like Mariota. 

Agree that big money on an ILB and RB is a bit head-scratching. The hope has to be that Bell and Crowder are major upgrades in the passing game and give Sam a warm, comfy feeling. 

As if there is such a player.  

Mariota is absolute garbage.  He's not even the best QB on the team anymore.  Tannehill is and I wouldnt be surprised one bit if he ends up finishing out the year as the starter.  Both total injury liabilities too, so the Titans have a lot to look forward to.  If Darnold ends up like Mariota, I dont even think disappointment is the word.  More like; hopeless, shot me, I dont know why I bother rather than just disappointment. 

Spending what they did on Mosley makes no sense but Bell?  Bell makes total sense to spend that money on.  You want to ensure Darnold doesnt end up like Mariota?  Bell was the best player available to help avoid that disaster.   Legit, the value Bell brings to Darnold really isnt quantifiable.