TURF WAR : Mangini vs Bradway ~ ~ ~

kelly

Monday Morning QB (cont.)

Posted: Monday January 30, 2006 9:13AM; Updated: Monday January 30, 2006 12:06PM

Ten Things I Think I Think

~ ~ ~ 3. I think I would be very surprised if Jets GM Terry Bradway is still with the team a year from today. There's a turf war going on there involving who exactly has the power to hire and fire front-office personnel and I hear Eric Mangini is winning.

>

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/01/29/mmqb.cowher/4.html

Monday Morning QB (cont.)

Posted: Monday January 30, 2006 9:13AM; Updated: Monday January 30, 2006 12:06PM

Ten Things I Think I Think

~ ~ ~ 3. I think I would be very surprised if Jets GM Terry Bradway is still with the team a year from today. There's a turf war going on there involving who exactly has the power to hire and fire front-office personnel and I hear Eric Mangini is winning.

>

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/01/29/mmqb.cowher/4.html

Total BS. There is absolutely zero news coming from our camp so idiots like this just start making things up as they go. Makes me think I could be a journalist and get paid what they do.

If I am not mistaken, I think where I saw that Woody has a contract option on Bradway in February. If this option is not picked up, I believe that he is in his final year.

I would need someone to verify that for me.

The fact that this option has not already been picked up, at least publicly, speaks volumes to the job that he feels Bradway is doing.

Having a lame duck GM is a terrible thing to have. But, Woody has little choice with all of the other machinations that have gone on in this off-season. After the Herm fiasco, to fire Bradway would have created a vacuum that would be hard for any organization to recover quickly.

All that being said, I would find it hard for Woody to give Mangini a nudge and for him to have veto rights over Bradway. There is no way that any reasonable man, and I have to include Bradway in that description, would stand for it.

Now, do they have to agree on everything? Of course not. But what they do have to agree to is a hierarchy of of communication and decision making. That edict should have come from Woody directly himself.

As I have said before, Woody needs to find himself a football confidante to be placed in the VP position. Someone like a George Young was with the Giants.

Let Woody call the shots on the club side, and thsi confidante should call teh shots on teh football side. That includes having the GM and the HC report to himn and defining their roles.

I have to believe that some of Bradway's biggest draft blunders had more than a little Herm input:

1) Bryan Thomas - never would've been done if not for moving Ellis to DT to become Herm's Warren Sapp.

2) Dwayne Robertson - GM's who pride themselves on being draft gurus (and I believe Bradway believes himself to be such as a former scout) would NEVER give up 3 picks (including two first rounders) for one player. But Herm wanted his new Warren Sapp.

3) Jon McGraw - again, if we took the obvious choice of Ed Reed over Bryan Thomas, this never would've happened. I can't help but think that it was done b/c of thought-to-be similarities to John Lynch (Herm's bestest buddy).

He still has to answer for the following blunders:

1) Giving up a high second-round pick for Justin McCariens in a deep 2004 draft.

2) Trying to save $500K of cap space by tendering Coles for too little (no one was going to give up two first-day picks for a non-pro-bowler who's going to cost $13M in sign bonuses alone). Cost us a 3rd-rounder (or Santana Moss depending on how you view it).

3) only taking 1 OL pick on the first day in 5 years (a 3rd-rounder at that)

4) ridiculous contracts/extensions to Chad Pennington, Curtis Martin, Jason Fabini, Wayne Chrebet, Mo Lewis, Vinny Testaverde, Marvin Jones, David Barrett, Justin McCariens.

5) Paying more to retain a career #3/nickel CB (Mickens) than a starting LB (Farrior).

6) drafting a kicker with an early 2nd-round pick who can't reach the endzone on kickoffs.

This doesn't count (though I'm sure they were not all made with zero input from our zero HC):

$1.5M for Ken-Yon Rambo

$5-6M bonus (6yr/$30M tot) for Sam Cowart coming off a blown-out knee injury

Millions to Aaron Beasley, Steve White, and others

In general, waiting until the damage has set in, in the form of a lost season, before addressing needs (LB's only got addressed after 2003 season; OL is only going to get addressed now). If Arizona didn't cut Kendall just prior to the 2004 season we would've gone nowhere that year as well since there was no plan in place.

SE-The largest indictment of teh man is that he is off-site, reportedly, so much.

Want to know why a Herm wields so much power in an organization like the Jets, or a Tannenbaum- Absentee leadership. It is one of the biggest contributors to decay in any organization.

If he allowed Herm to have too much input, that is on him.

What SHOULD take place is that the coach and the GM have a shared view of the type of player they want to draft and the general approach of teh ball club. If a GM is just there to take the path of least resistance, and ascede to any whim of the coach, well that is just sad.

We will know all we need to know of Terry Bradway the man and the GM in the next few months. It will be all that we ned to know. You can already see the effect that Mangini has through the no disclosure tenor.

I just think that TB is not a very strong willed man. If I had my druthers to the perfect off-season, TB would have been the first to go and the new coach would be hired by the new GM.

It just did not have time to evolve that way, as Herm's situation was on the table immediately

SE-The largest indictment of teh man is that he is off-site, reportedly, so much.

Want to know why a Herm wields so much power in an organization like the Jets, or a Tannenbaum- Absentee leadership. It is one of the biggest contributors to decay in any organization.

What SHOULD take place is that the coach and the GM have a shared view of the type of player they want to draft and the general approach of teh ball club. If a GM is just there to take the path of least resistance, and ascede to any whim of the coach, well that is just sad.

We will know all we need to know of Terry Bradway the man and the GM in the next few months. It will be all that we ned to know. You can already see the effect that Mangini has through the no disclosure tenor.

I just think that TB is not a very strong willed man. If I had my druthers to the perfect off-season, TB would have been the first to go and the new coach would be hired by the new GM.

It just did not have time to evolve that way, as Herm's situation was on the table immediately

I can't argue with anything here.

Go back and read Sperm Edwards' post

No GM is perfect.

Bradway has more + then - in his career as the Jets GM.

Thomas may not be Ed Reed, but he can be a decent starter. You cant put all the blame there on Bradway, if other GMs would have know Reeds greatness, he would have been a top 5 pick.

Jonathan Vilma is 1 of the best. if not the best MLB in the NFL.

People dont want to give him credit for that pick? How can you not do that? Some people seem to have short memorys, and slanted agendas vs Bradway. Remember, we were rumored to trade down and nab Vilma. But Bradway stuck to his guns, and STOLE him at 12. Vilma would have been a top 3 pick if he was such a sure thing.

No GM is perfect.

Thomas may not be Ed Reed, but he can be a decent starter. You cant put all the blame there on Bradway, if other GMs would have know Reeds greatness, he would have been a top 5 pick.

People dont want to give him credit for that pick? How can you not do that? Some people seem to have short memorys, and slanted agendas vs Bradway. Remember, we were rumored to trade down and nab Vilma. But Bradway stuck to his guns, and STOLE him at 12. Vilma would have been a top 3 pick if he was such a sure thing.

He has more plusses than minuses? The hell he does. His plusses are Vilma (which was the obvious pick, any one of us could have made that pick), Coleman, Rhodes, and Miller, draft-wise. He's been good with signing free agents near the start of training camp, like Kendall and Law. Other than that, he has been HORRIBLE.

Thomas over Reed. Thomas is a JAG, man. You are happy if you get his production out of a third rounder, but not whenever you reach for him in the draft over an all-pro that played a major position of need. He's made some pretty horrific draft picks as well, such as Sione Pouha and BJ Askew. And D-Rob was all hype, which Bradway bought hook, line, and sinker. Robertson didn't do sh*t in college and he's been average in the pros.

Bradway strikes me as someone that other GMs look at as a pushover. That is why he gets manhandled on every single trade. McCareins for a 2nd rounder, when we could have had Terrell Owens? I hate Owens with a passion, but we certainly could have used him last season when we were a Herm retard-fit away from New England. Also, the Raiders trade last season was sh*t. Bradway got very lucky that the cards fell the way they did. At the time, there was absolutely no way he could have predicted Justin Miller would be sitting there at our second. Same thing happened with Derrick Strait the year before. Pure luck. Any person on this site would have rushed the card to the podium.

The bad far outweighs the good with Terry Bradway. He has shown nothing more than to be a buffoon that occassionally gets lucky. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

No GM is perfect.

Bradway, imho has done a good job of redeeming himself, and adding talent to this team within the past two years.

What continues to haunt him, are his first two drafts. The 2002/2003 drafts killed this team and set us back for years. This team was forced to reach or make up for his mistakes in subsequent drafts. We all know the Terry story. Good and bad both, but better as of late.

We are still faced with guys that we have little, if any clue about. BJ Askew, Hobson, Baker, Thomas, Goodwin, etc.

Chad's contract, in retrospect was a good thing at the time, but turned out to be bad. We assumed that he would be ok, that he would be our franchise qb for years.

There are some things that I am not happy with, such as his inablity to bring in Pat Williams, who signed with Minny at a very affordable price. I did like the Fiedler signing.

This draft, like most, is critical, but we are faced with aging veterans at several spots, not just one or two. How many teams can say this? It will take years to evaluate this draft, not matter what Terry does. There may not be any instant reward. Mawae, Fabini and Martin all need heirs. Now. It's time to bring them in and groom them. We also need a young stud qb. Had Terry drafted well in 2002/2003, we might not be in such need and have so many damn question marks.

My guess is that Terry will come back next season.

I have to believe that some of Bradway's biggest draft blunders had more than a little Herm input:

1) Bryan Thomas - never would've been done if not for moving Ellis to DT to become Herm's Warren Sapp.

2) Dwayne Robertson - GM's who pride themselves on being draft gurus (and I believe Bradway believes himself to be such as a former scout) would NEVER give up 3 picks (including two first rounders) for one player. But Herm wanted his new Warren Sapp.

3) Jon McGraw - again, if we took the obvious choice of Ed Reed over Bryan Thomas, this never would've happened. I can't help but think that it was done b/c of thought-to-be similarities to John Lynch (Herm's bestest buddy).

He still has to answer for the following blunders:

1) Giving up a high second-round pick for Justin McCariens in a deep 2004 draft.

2) Trying to save $500K of cap space by tendering Coles for too little (no one was going to give up two first-day picks for a non-pro-bowler who's going to cost $13M in sign bonuses alone). Cost us a 3rd-rounder (or Santana Moss depending on how you view it).

3) only taking 1 OL pick on the first day in 5 years (a 3rd-rounder at that)

4) ridiculous contracts/extensions to Chad Pennington, Curtis Martin, Jason Fabini, Wayne Chrebet, Mo Lewis, Vinny Testaverde, Marvin Jones, David Barrett, Justin McCariens.

5) Paying more to retain a career #3/nickel CB (Mickens) than a starting LB (Farrior).

6) drafting a kicker with an early 2nd-round pick who can't reach the endzone on kickoffs.

This doesn't count (though I'm sure they were not all made with zero input from our zero HC):

$1.5M for Ken-Yon Rambo

$5-6M bonus (6yr/$30M tot) for Sam Cowart coming off a blown-out knee injury

Millions to Aaron Beasley, Steve White, and others

In general, waiting until the damage has set in, in the form of a lost season, before addressing needs (LB's only got addressed after 2003 season; OL is only going to get addressed now). If Arizona didn't cut Kendall just prior to the 2004 season we would've gone nowhere that year as well since there was no plan in place.

SE - this is a great summary of the TB reign. this should be posted as an article somewhere in case anyone ever forgets about Bradway's blunders.

SE - this is a great summary of the TB reign. this should be posted as an article somewhere in case anyone ever forgets about Bradway's blunders.

The point of all of it is that while TB is hardly blameless for bad picks, FA losses/additions (since he's had the final say), let's see how he does just this once when we may have a HC who not only has a real plan, but who he kind of has to listen to. No matter how badly things go over the next 2 years in the worst-case scenario, Bradway's ass is on the line far more than Mangini's.

The point of all of it is that while TB is hardly blameless for bad picks, FA losses/additions (since he's had the final say), let's see how he does just this once when we may have a HC who not only has a real plan, but who he kind of has to listen to. No matter how badly things go over the next 2 years in the worst-case scenario, Bradway's ass is on the line far more than Mangini's.

It will be hard for Terry to F this up.

He has the picks to rebuild his offensive line overnight. History shows that the Jets should receive comp picks for KMac, Jordan and possible Ferguson.

Terry also has a chance to trade for a QB(Schaub) or draft one.

TB always said he didn't make a move without Herms input!! Or great Wings and Ribs either!

Complete bull. This is just the damn media trying to start up some sh#t.

Bradway is a good GM. People act like he has picked bust after bust like he was the Browns GM the past 8 years.

you are kidding yourself if you believe Terry Bradway is a good GM. Go back and read Sperm Edwards' post and tell me you can argue against anything he said. He's absolutely right. You vindicate the man because he drafted Johnathan Vilma. Big Deal. One player doesnt' make up for 4 years of crappy personnel decisions. He's had that long to assemble a team capable of winning a super bowl and he hasn't. DFat will never amount to whatever belief Bradway has about him. And that Bryan Thomas is sure terrorizing opposing QBs right now. The guy has been a spot starter only when Abe or Ellis have been injured and has produced jack.

Thomas may not be Ed Reed, but he can be a decent starter.

We don't draft #1 picks to be "decent starters", we draft them to be STAR PLAYERS. Players that change the game. Players that give us enough to get over the hump. Thomas will never be a star player. All he'll ever be is a waste of a first round draft pick.

You can't throw all the blame on Herm for the team without holding Bradway accountable also. It doesnt take an idiot to figure out that this OL is only getting older and we needed to draft some lineman to eventually replace Fabini, Mawae, etc. Drafting Sione Puoha and then completely ignoring the rest of the OL isn't going to miraculously cure the Jets offensive line woes.

One can only pray that Bradway is gone after the season.

Much covered, all of it true.Geography plays a role in all this. I doubt Peter King knows any great inside info. Most of thes reporte4r wer caught flatfooted by the Edwards to KC stuff when most guys there every day like Cimini and Lange had an idea about it back in September. Breaking that sotry would've impressed me. Peter King has been either in an airport or a hotel since New Year's day.

Problem is and remains that Bradway was only here 3 or 4 days a week. Edwards filled the void and his influence on some miserable draft and contract decsions shows. But Bradway shouldn't be unscathed.

SImply from here on out Mangini and Tannebaum figure to make the big decisions, but with Bradway's input. That's not necessarily a power struggle. Don't see Bradway itching to leave when the whole Jets operation gets within relatively easy commuting distance to his home in south Jersey by next year. Don't discount Bradway. he still is a very good scout.

One strange thing-all the BS in the past about "build a stadium in LI"-our own GM doesn't want to be there. And honestly I cannot blame him. 3 perpetually-under-construction, traffic-packed roads, strip malls forever, taxes out the wazoo, ridiculous home prices and general ugliness. There's some beautiful communities on the north and south shores and out east, but they aren't remotely reasonable. The rest of it is damn ugly.

As average as Bradway is, giving Mangini total control at the age of 35 is a mistake. This will work best if they each handle their own thing.

Bradway isn't a hard line guy so Mangini would have input. I just think of the people that complained about Mangini not being at the Senior Bowl. At this point that is a mistake for him. Let him concentrate on the staff and evaluating the current roster. Let Terry handle the other stuff right now.

There is enough work to go around!

Archived