Cut One: Elijah McGuire, Trent Cannon or Bilal Powell?

Cannon, McGuire, or Powell?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If I were the Jets GM and I had to cut one, I would cut..........

• Bilal Powell
    • Trent Cannon
    • Elijah McGuire
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Cannon - the old pro Powell is needed for leadership and experience
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Powell - Cannon is too valuable on special teams
    • If I could, I'd cut both Powell and Cannon - McGuire is a solid backup for Bell
    • If I could, I'd cut all 3, to be quite honest - I could find a couple of better schmoes on the waiver wire

Ty is going to be Bells back-up... Powell is the Third as long as he is truly recovered... McGuire and Cannon both have a small chance to make the team... McGuire could make it and Cannon might make practice squad but I forget what the rules are for PS... He might have played too much to go back... 

Makes me wonder what will happen in NE... They are probably not going to keep all 5 RBs...  Burkhead is probably gone... Because they are not getting rid of Develin or the Rookie...

Depends on how McGuire looks in pre-season... because he didn't look the same after his injury.

If I cut one, it's Mcguire. I actually like him, but he is of the dime a dozen sort. Cannon seems to have legit ST value and Powell is better than Mcguire overall, assuming he is healthy. Mcguire is simply replaceable  and he dropped more passes last year than I would have liked in his limited duty. 

That's my choice as of now. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Cannon has fumbled too many times for my liking. If we're going to get rid of anybody, it has to be him

Cannon just doesn't need to return punts. I don't think he fumbled as a RB or receiving. 

McGuire has to be the guy to go if Powell is back to himself. McGuire is a total JAG and has no "special" ability. At least with Cannon he has speed. So if Gase & Co. can utilize him he offers something that Eli doesn't.

Bell

Montgomery

Powell

Cannon

Jalin Moore or Henderson 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

If I cut one, it's Mcguire. I actually like him, but he is of the dime a dozen sort. Cannon seems to have legit ST value and Powell is better than Mcguire overall, assuming he is healthy. Mcguire is simply replaceable  and he dropped more passes last year than I would have liked in his limited duty. 

i think cannon could be more of a weapon than mcguire based on speed/talent, and i think he'll have all of camp to prove it.

• Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

McGuire is the best player of those three. Has he been great or even good no but he’s effective 

• Upvote 2

That’s a tough call. McGuire is a better running back right now but if Cannon can get a little better, his speed might result in big plays. Neither will play much but Cannon does specials. With that said, I didn’t vote. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stark said:

Cannon just doesn't need to return punts. I don't think he fumbled as a RB or receiving. 

McGuire has to be the guy to go if Powell is back to himself. McGuire is a total JAG and has no "special" ability. At least with Cannon he has speed. So if Gase & Co. can utilize him he offers something that Eli doesn't.

Bell

Montgomery

Powell

Cannon

Jalin Moore or Henderson 

Moore should be Pup'd

8 minutes ago, Stark said:

Bell

Montgomery

Powell

Cannon

Jalin Moore or Henderson 

Agree. 

Cannon also has a lot of special teams value - outside of returning punts. But yeah, if Powell is back where he was before the injury, he's leaps and bounds ahead of McGuire. I also expect Joe Douglas to be very aggressive when rosters are trimmed from 90 to 53, and two or all three of these guys could find themselves on the outside looking in. I think Powell is the best RB of the group, but Cannon's special teams contributions might actually make him the safest bet to make the team when all is said and done. 

• Upvote 1

Wait, what, Powell is old(er) and beat up.....bad qualities for a slightly better than average RB in the first place.....I know.....home grown talent and all that but hell these decisions need to be made with the head and rather than the heart.   

• Upvote 1

Definitely cut McGuire, maybe Cannon as well dependent on how everything shakes out with both the RB situation and special teams (and of course if he shows any progress throughout camp/preseason).

McGuire has been pretty awful as a runner outside of like 1 game that the Jets dominated, and while he's a solid receiver out of the backfield, he's still not as good at it as Bell, Powell, or Montgomery, so that means very little at this point.

Cannon definitely has more of a physical skillset than any of these guys, which is why he might be worth giving another shot to.  He may also very well make the list of top guys for Boyer, and the team probably owes him at least a spot or two at the bottom of the roster, particularly after letting his 2 pro bowlers on the unit walk.  However, if he doesn't impress on offense and Boyer prefers anyone else, by all means let him walk too.

• Upvote 3

Not impressed with any of them.  Powell is another nostalgia guy, his best years (such as they were) are well past him.  Cannon isn't very good.  McGuire is a JAG.  Of the three, I might keep McGuire just on "maybe, sorta, potential".  

Happily Bell should be on the field and touching the ball most of the time, so unless he gets hurt it's mostly irrelevant.  If he gets hurt tho, we drop to being amongst the worst teams in the NFL at RB IMO.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Definitely cut McGuire, maybe Cannon as well dependent on how everything shakes out with both the RB situation and special teams (and of course if he shows any progress throughout camp/preseason).

McGuire has been pretty awful as a runner outside of like 1 game that the Jets dominated, and while he's a solid receiver out of the backfield, he's still not as good at it as Bell, Powell, or Montgomery, so that means very little at this point.

Cannon definitely has more of a physical skillset than any of these guys, which is why he might be worth giving another shot to.  He may also very well make the list of top guys for Boyer, and the team probably owes him at least a spot or two at the bottom of the roster, particularly after letting his 2 pro bowlers on the unit walk.  However, if he doesn't impress on offense and Boyer prefers anyone else, by all means let him walk too.

if cannon can take the next step he could be some sort of change of pace weapon.  mcguire is a jag, period.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Wait, what, Powell is old(er) and beat up.....bad qualities for a slightly better than average RB in the first place.....I know.....home grown talent and all that but hell these decisions need to be made with the head and rather than the heart.   

Head - if Powell is healthy he is better than McGuire, cut McGuire. 

If Powell is not healthy cut him. 

McGuire should be on the cut list either way. can find a McGuire anywhere on the street.

• Upvote 1

Probably Powell to be honest. I love the guy but he's older than the other 2 and coming off a serious neck injury. I'd go with McGuire and cut Cannon and Powell. Ty Montgomery is going to be the backup but the truth of the matter is, Bell is the type of back who doesn't take very many plays off in general. Our backup running backs will only really see significant time in the event of an injury.

Reading through the other posts, I find it curious when people suggest McGuire is even an average runner, because the truth is he's actually been pretty horrible as a runner, with the exception of one game.  Consider that his YPC for his career is 3.28, which to start already comes across pretty bad.  However, it gets worse when you realize that is heavily influenced by one game his rookie year when the Jets' ran all over Jacksonville at will (McGuire had 10 carries for 93 yards and Powell ripped off 21 for 163).  Even then, 69 of those yards came on a single carry.  If you take out what has clearly shown itself to be an outlier since then, in the other 23 games McGuire has played in, he has averaged 2.93 YPC.  That's pretty pathetic.

He's been a solid receiver out of the backfield, but he's been the worst runner on this team the past 2 years, even worse than the 50-year-old Forte.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Powell, it's a business.

I get what you mean here but Powell, if healthy is a better runner, blocker and pass catcher than Mcguire. No matter what the one handed practice catch video would suggest.
The only thing Mcguire has on bilal is youth. If its a business and we have bell, Montgomery and Cannon, I would say Powell offers more than simply having a younger guy who isn’t as good at anything on the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I get what you mean here but Powell, if healthy is a better runner, blocker and pass catcher than Mcguire. No matter what the one handed practice catch video would suggest.
The only thing Mcguire has on bilal is youth. If its a business and we have bell, Montgomery and Cannon, I would say Powell offers more than simply having a younger guy who isn’t as good at anything on the roster.

I thought Powell had concussion issues? Perhaps I am wrong. RB and head issues are a dead end in todays NFL, by the same token I remember when fumbleitis in HS would get someone benched and cut in the NFL.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I am all for a youth movement so Powell it is. The other 2 can be used at different positions and have value there. That and their youth and less "mileage" on their bodies is another reason to keep them around.

Right, cut ties a year too soon (if in fact it is too soon) rather than a year too late.  

i think cannon could be more of a weapon than mcguire based on speed/talent, and i think he'll have all of camp to prove it.

Right. That’s how I see it as well. Cannon has a bit more potential especially with the ST aspect added to his COP potential out of the backfield. Mcguire is fine as a third string backup type but cannon
And Powell are better or offer more imo.

McGuire is the best player of those three. Has he been great or even good no but he’s effective 

I hear ya but I disagree. Cannon has had very little opportunity and did ok his rookie year. I don’t like him for punt returner which is where he had the issues.

• Upvote 1

In my view, Cannon is competing for a role with guys like Josh Bellamy, Charone Peake, Quadree Hendrson, Deonte Thompson, Greg Dortch.  If he sticks it will be bacuase of contribution on STs.  Don't seem him factoring into the RB rotation much this year.

Bell and Montgomery have spots locked up.  I think it comes down to Mcguire vs Powell for the last spot.  I would probably give the edge to Mcguire, based on youth, but there is reason they brought Powell in.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1