Sarge4Tide

Cut One: Elijah McGuire, Trent Cannon or Bilal Powell?

Cannon, McGuire, or Powell?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If I were the Jets GM and I had to cut one, I would cut..........

• Bilal Powell
    • Trent Cannon
    • Elijah McGuire
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Cannon - the old pro Powell is needed for leadership and experience
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Powell - Cannon is too valuable on special teams
    • If I could, I'd cut both Powell and Cannon - McGuire is a solid backup for Bell
    • If I could, I'd cut all 3, to be quite honest - I could find a couple of better schmoes on the waiver wire

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

How many times has he fumbled in a game?

5 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Too many times

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

LOL

0 is to many?

3 fumbles in preseason (1 lost, Game 3 vs NYG)

None in regular season, but that may be because they stopped having him return punts?

He averaged 3 yards per carry and 8.5 yards per catch in the regular season, with 1 TD.

12 hours ago, flgreen said:

So he fumbled 0 times in a real game.  Never fumbled from scrimmage.  Pre-season doesn't mean squat.  The guy had never returned a punt before. Because he's fast some idiot on the Jets decided he was a punt returner.    lol

Probably the best gunner on teams the Jets have had in awhile.  

Really didn't like the guy when the Jets drafted him, but along with the muffed punts, looked explosive in space at times in pre-season, which as I said doesn't mean much.  Think he could find a small roll in Gase's system.  The idea that he sucks because he fumbles to much is kind of silly when he's never fumbled in a real game 

Fans react a lot to first impressions. They stick in the memory and are brought up ad nauseum.  Cannon has a fumbling problem ... based on first impressions. Joe McKnight threw up in one of his first practices and it was still being mentioned years later that he was unfit, not prepared to work etc.

No logic for it, these things just stick in the memory. (So glad it didn't happen on Darnold when his first career pass was a pick-6).

I guess my concern on Cannon then is, if he's mainly a ST player but can't return kicks / punts ... can we afford a roster spot for a guy who is only a gunner on punt returns? Isn't there a guy out there who can be a gunner AND offer something more, either at RB, WR, KR, PR etc. Peake is also a good gunner, but doesn't offer much beyond that. As one trick ponies go, it's not the most compelling trick to have.

6 hours ago, slats said:

100%. It's not even fumbling. He muffed punts. He never should've been back there, but the Jets had no one. 

Returning kicks and returning punts are two entirely different things. I'm thinking he can return kicks. 

But even if his main job is being a gunner on the punt team, that puts him ahead of McGuire. By quite a bit, IMHO. Their offensive numbers are very similar, but Cannon adds value on specials and McGuire doesn't. We're probably talking about the #4 RB here. That guy had better have special teams value. 

That was why I voted to cut McGuire over Cannon.

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

Not heralding Cannon as any kind of great player.  As I mentioned above I didn't like the pick in the draft at all.   It's just every time his name comes up some one says, "he sucks, fumbles all the time" Just not true.  He muffed some punts in pre-season, and as you said first impressions stick. 

Cannon  showed some explosiveness in camp.  We didn't see much of it during the season, but IMO the Jets O scheme was pitiful last year.  Nobody did much in the running game.  Crowell had decent stats off two games.  The rest of the year he was awful. 

They were running Cannon between the tackles.  For a guy with his frame that's stupid.  The zone blocking scheme, and Cannon's size/speed indicated he should have been stretching the edges , which is what you want in a zone blocking scheme, and catching the ball in  space where he can run.   IMO, the O Gase showed in Miami will be much more suited for Cannon's skill set.

I never really understood why people kept saying Peake was this great gunner.  Guy had 2 solo tackles in 2 years.  Solo tackles is what you pay gunners for.  Cannon had 7 solo's in one season.  A few of them were high light reel worthy as far as gunner tackles go.

Not saying Cannon is going to be anything this season, but I'm sure curious to see him in Gase's system.  It really seems to fit his skill set.  We'll see  

The coaching last year did likely set back the stats for both the RBs; once Crowell went down they just tried to use McGuire / Cannon in the same way as Crowell it seemed, despite them being different types of back.

The resigning of Powell does lead me to believe that it's not a simple either / or between McGuire and Cannon; if he's healthy he gives the option to cut both.

• Like 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company