Sarge4Tide

Cut One: Elijah McGuire, Trent Cannon or Bilal Powell?

Cannon, McGuire, or Powell?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If I were the Jets GM and I had to cut one, I would cut..........

• Bilal Powell
    • Trent Cannon
    • Elijah McGuire
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Cannon - the old pro Powell is needed for leadership and experience
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Powell - Cannon is too valuable on special teams
    • If I could, I'd cut both Powell and Cannon - McGuire is a solid backup for Bell
    • If I could, I'd cut all 3, to be quite honest - I could find a couple of better schmoes on the waiver wire

8 minutes ago, Stark said:

Cannon just doesn't need to return punts. I don't think he fumbled as a RB or receiving. 

McGuire has to be the guy to go if Powell is back to himself. McGuire is a total JAG and has no "special" ability. At least with Cannon he has speed. So if Gase & Co. can utilize him he offers something that Eli doesn't.

Bell

Montgomery

Powell

Cannon

Jalin Moore or Henderson 

Agree. 

Cannon also has a lot of special teams value - outside of returning punts. But yeah, if Powell is back where he was before the injury, he's leaps and bounds ahead of McGuire. I also expect Joe Douglas to be very aggressive when rosters are trimmed from 90 to 53, and two or all three of these guys could find themselves on the outside looking in. I think Powell is the best RB of the group, but Cannon's special teams contributions might actually make him the safest bet to make the team when all is said and done. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't know why so many are so down on McGuire. I think he has potential.

Trenton Cannon is a return man who can't field punts of kickoffs who fumbles every time he touches the ball. He's utterly useless.

Cannon shouldn't've been asked to return punts. He'd never done it before. If the Jets hadn't decided to run that experiment, no one would have a problem with the guy. His real value on specials is as a gunner on the punt team. He puts his speed to very good use there. He returned kicks in college and will probably get another shot this year. He'll at least be the backup there. His offensive stats are similar to McGuire's, but McGuire brings nothing at all on specials. And Powell rushed for 4.3 ypc behind the same line that McGuire and Cannon could only manage 3.0.

Seems like an easy cut to me: McGuire. 

10 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Fans react a lot to first impressions. They stick in the memory and are brought up ad nauseum.  Cannon has a fumbling problem ... based on first impressions. Joe McKnight threw up in one of his first practices and it was still being mentioned years later that he was unfit, not prepared to work etc.

No logic for it, these things just stick in the memory. (So glad it didn't happen on Darnold when his first career pass was a pick-6).

100%. It's not even fumbling. He muffed punts. He never should've been back there, but the Jets had no one. 

10 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I guess my concern on Cannon then is, if he's mainly a ST player but can't return kicks / punts ... can we afford a roster spot for a guy who is only a gunner on punt returns? Isn't there a guy out there who can be a gunner AND offer something more, either at RB, WR, KR, PR etc. Peake is also a good gunner, but doesn't offer much beyond that. As one trick ponies go, it's not the most compelling trick to have.

Returning kicks and returning punts are two entirely different things. I'm thinking he can return kicks. 

But even if his main job is being a gunner on the punt team, that puts him ahead of McGuire. By quite a bit, IMHO. Their offensive numbers are very similar, but Cannon adds value on specials and McGuire doesn't. We're probably talking about the #4 RB here. That guy had better have special teams value. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RobR said:

He's on the wrong side of thirty, is coming off of a major injury, and has dealt with injury issues his entire career. Expecting him to be the player he was a couple of years ago is like mining for fools gold. He was a great Jet but probably falls in line with the Murrells and Baxters of our past. Never dominant, just OK.

He rushed for 4.3 ypc behind the same OL that McGuire and Cannon managed 3.0 ypc behind. I'd be more concerned if he was coming off a leg injury than I am about him coming off a neck injury. We're talking about the third string back here, he doesn't have to be dominant. If he's healthy, he's an ideal jack-of-all-trades RB who can carry the ball, catch the ball and, maybe most important, pass protect very effectively. 

I have no idea how someone could take McGuire over him just because he's a few years younger. Powell is just better. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'd prefer my third back be a younger guy that hopefully gets better over time. And FTR I don't want McGuire either, he's terrible.

I don't disagree, but given the choices currently here, McGuire is far and away the guy I cut. Powell is the best back of the three, even if he's lost a step, and Cannon provides value on STs as well as some legit speed that Gase might be able to get something out of. 

But yeah, I could easily see Powell and McGuire both gone with Douglas finding replacements in the mini-draft. 

10 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

McGuire is a kid that can do everything you need a back to do.  Hes got hands, a quick juke and can run between the tackles. Hes no superstar but he checks all the boxes whereas Cannon is a bit of a one trick pony. Bilal will be gone in a year or two and if you want Bell to last at all, someone has to be capable of spelling him. McGuire is cheap, productive and young. He'd be a genuine lost in my opinion. 

I really disagree here. 

I think Powell is better at everything that a RB does than McGuire, and that Cannon brings genuine value on special teams. I wouldn't hesitate to make McGuire the cut. Look at RB in the draft again next year or the year after and never miss him. 

Also think that RB is a place where the Jets might make a selection in the mini-draft. More than one of these guys could be gone. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Yeah he can be replaced. But hes got a year of nfl experience, why start all over again with a rookie when you're talking about a third or 4th string back?  Hes insurance should one of your top backs miss any games and he costs the same as anyone that would replace him. Just doesn't make sense to toss out a kid who can play and be a decent change up. Save the draft for things like OL and cb where the depth is an actual need. Just my opinion. 

Whether you keep McGuire or Powell, you're gonna be looking to replace whoever's left in a year or two. So why not keep the RB who's currently better at everything? Powell's a better runner, better receiver, better blocker. I'd be looking to move on from him in a couple years when he deteriorates to playing at McGuire's current level. Two years from now, Bell will be 29 1/2 with a base salary of $8M in 2021 becoming fully guaranteed in March, too. The smart move would be to be looking for a potential replacement for Bell, let alone Powell or McGuire, by then in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company