Sarge4Tide

Cut One: Elijah McGuire, Trent Cannon or Bilal Powell?

Cannon, McGuire, or Powell?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If I were the Jets GM and I had to cut one, I would cut..........

• Bilal Powell
    • Trent Cannon
    • Elijah McGuire
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Cannon - the old pro Powell is needed for leadership and experience
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Powell - Cannon is too valuable on special teams
    • If I could, I'd cut both Powell and Cannon - McGuire is a solid backup for Bell
    • If I could, I'd cut all 3, to be quite honest - I could find a couple of better schmoes on the waiver wire

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

His 40 was 4.49 and he had a good shuttle and 3 cone which is more important

I saw his forty reported as 4.59, but his shuttle and 3 cone were excellent.  As were Jeff Smith's.  Dortch felt he didn't have much time to prepare for the 40 rehabbing an injury.  I don't think speed is his issue.  It is size.

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The addition of TM has made Powell nothing more than an emergency back. He does everything Powell can do and is younger and better. In a pinch he can be the lead back. I see no reason the retain Powell with TM on the team. 

As far as the other two, I really wanted to like McGuire but he has shown to bt JAG. If Cannon got rid of the fumble problem, he would be great on ST. Problem is he hasn't  done it to date.

Someone wrote we are removing the stench of Mac. I can think of nothing that would do that better than getting rid of his players that never contributed.  

All three can be cut and we probably don't  miss a beat

Powell is a Tannenbaum player, not a Maccagnan player or an Idzik player.  I can see why people think that Montgomery is going to fill that role, but Montgomery was dumped in Green Bay and didn't get an offer from Baltimore.  He got a 1 year deal with a $90K guarantee.  The league doesn't view him as the sure thing this board does.  Getting yards with Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay is very different than with the Sanchez/Geno/Fitzpatrick/Petty/McCown/Darnold Jets.  Besides, if he made Powell redundant, then why would they bother bringing Powell back?  Powell was signed two months after Montgomery.  Montgomery was a Maccagnan signing, Powell was signed after the firing, in fact he may have been the first move Douglas made.

As I, and others, have pointed out in this thread, Cannon hasn't had a "fumbling problem."  He fumbled/muffed a few times in a preseason game trying to field punts for the first time in a game situation.  He never actually fumbled during the season and he wasn't used on returns because the Jets had a pro bowl return man.

I am probably as low on McGuire as anybody here, but he deserves a shot in camp.  Same with Deangelo Henderson who is a very good runner, but actually does have fumbling issues. 

Don't sleep on Jalin Moore, the UDFA out of Appalachian State.  He went undrafted after a fractured and dislocated ankle during a TD run cut his senior year short, but he was coming off two straight 1,000 yard 10+TD seasons, albeit in the Sun Belt.  Seems like he fits what Gase likes to do.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Very reliable?  When did he ever show that?  And now we're expecting more after surgery to fix a career threatening injury?  

Te second part is as I said earlier.  Philly has a lot of talented backs on their roster.  Backs Joe Douglas brought in.  Someone's going and all are better, younger  options than Powell.  

Bad news for me is that Douglas supposedly loved Pumphery.  Traded up to pick that undersized stiff in the 4th.I don't know exactly why, but the bench correlates to success for RBs.  Pumphery had 5 reps despite super short arms.  Both are worse than me and I'm 52.  I haven't thought I was going to be drafted for at least 7 years!

30 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The hope is that Douglas/Gase don't make the mistake of not carrying enough RBs. The probability for both Bell and Powell to be injured in the early portions of the season are high, and we don't want to role into games with Ty (a WR coming out of college) starting and Cannon spelling him. I'm ok with cutting both or even all three as long as the stable is filled with other (better) horses.

That's your hope, not mine.  RBs are not something to carry.  The lower guys are kept for their special teams ability. IF two go down, you pick one off the street or your practice squad.  De'Angelo Henderson will be fine for a game.  Otherwise, just go get somebody - CJ Anderson was sitting on his couch last year and he was fine.  Throw some money at Marshawn Lynch.. Ajayi is a free agent, but I assume Gase wouldn't want to work with him.  Plenty of guys will be available by the time it is an issue.

I think you are overstating Montgomery's role as WR.  He was primarily a WR at Stanford, but he also played RB and is probably primarily a return man.  He was an All-American kick returner.  He only returned punts as  senior, but was excellent.  In the NFL he has been more RB than WR.  I am not carrying an extra back because you don't like his resume.  

6 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Cannon. Too light in the ass and fumbles every game. McGuire had a 73 yd td run against Jax in 2017. Been a fan of his ever since. He's a good backup, good size and speed.

This must be an excellent point, I keep reading it.  Here is a little quiz:   How many fumbles did Trenton Cannon have during the 2018 regular season?

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

Cannon sucks McGuire doesn't. That work??

Well, you're half right.  They both suck.  They both averaged 3 ypc last year.  The one you think is fast is considerably slower though. 

34 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The highlight of his career is one run that occurred nearly 2 years ago.  Beyond that one outlier, for the rest of his career he's averaged 2.9 YPC.

And yet Powell, Crowell, and even friggin' Forte did better behind those same "horrid" OLs.

Too many words, but that is what I was going to say.  ;)

18 hours ago, TNJet said:

Not to make more excuses for McGuire but he had an injury that took him awhile to return from last year, and some guys are looking at his ypc statistics from last year lol. Yeah he must suck.

This may be the issue.  McGuire supposedly looked good as a junior, but fairly pedestrian as a senior because he took time coming back from a foot injury.  He missed the first half of 2018 after foot surgery.  Of course, some don't think he was so hot in 2017 - Football Outsiders had him dead last in DVOA. 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company