Sarge4Tide

Cut One: Elijah McGuire, Trent Cannon or Bilal Powell?

Cannon, McGuire, or Powell?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If I were the Jets GM and I had to cut one, I would cut..........

• Bilal Powell
    • Trent Cannon
    • Elijah McGuire
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Cannon - the old pro Powell is needed for leadership and experience
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Powell - Cannon is too valuable on special teams
    • If I could, I'd cut both Powell and Cannon - McGuire is a solid backup for Bell
    • If I could, I'd cut all 3, to be quite honest - I could find a couple of better schmoes on the waiver wire

If I cut one, it's Mcguire. I actually like him, but he is of the dime a dozen sort. Cannon seems to have legit ST value and Powell is better than Mcguire overall, assuming he is healthy. Mcguire is simply replaceable  and he dropped more passes last year than I would have liked in his limited duty. 

That's my choice as of now. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Powell, it's a business.

I get what you mean here but Powell, if healthy is a better runner, blocker and pass catcher than Mcguire. No matter what the one handed practice catch video would suggest.
The only thing Mcguire has on bilal is youth. If its a business and we have bell, Montgomery and Cannon, I would say Powell offers more than simply having a younger guy who isn’t as good at anything on the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

I think Powell is done I don’t care if a dr cleared him 

Why don’t you care of the doctor cleared him? That would seem to be the decision maker in the health dept. Powell was having a very solid year prior to the injury.

• Upvote 1

i think cannon could be more of a weapon than mcguire based on speed/talent, and i think he'll have all of camp to prove it.

Right. That’s how I see it as well. Cannon has a bit more potential especially with the ST aspect added to his COP potential out of the backfield. Mcguire is fine as a third string backup type but cannon
And Powell are better or offer more imo.

McGuire is the best player of those three. Has he been great or even good no but he’s effective 

I hear ya but I disagree. Cannon has had very little opportunity and did ok his rookie year. I don’t like him for punt returner which is where he had the issues.

• Upvote 1

I thought Powell had concussion issues? Perhaps I am wrong. RB and head issues are a dead end in todays NFL, by the same token I remember when fumbleitis in HS would get someone benched and cut in the NFL.

I don’t recall a concussion issue with him. He had that back/neck injury last year and idiot Bowles came out and said powells career was probably over. I’m listening to a pod cast interview with Powell right now and he said it pissed him off to hear and read all of that stuff. He said no doctor ever told him his career may be over.

He seems to think he is back on the horse. We will have to see how training camp goes and if he lost anything but Powell is far and away better than Mcguire imo

• Upvote 2

In my view, Cannon is competing for a role with guys like Josh Bellamy, Charone Peake, Quadree Hendrson, Deonte Thompson.  If he sticks it will be bacuase of contribution on STs.  Don't seem him factoring into the RB rotation much this year.
Bell and Montgomery have spots locked up.  I think it comes down to Mcguire vs Powell for the last spot.  I would probably give the edge to Mcguire, based on youth, but there is reason they brought Powell in.  

Good stuff man. I see it similarly. To keep with the OP’s question of losing one of the three I would go with Mcguire now but a lot can happen. Someone may get injured and remove the question entirely.

I worry about losing good St guy like peake but would always be looking for guys who fill that role and can actually play their position in a pinch. Peake doesn’t look to be able to do that. At least not yet. Maybe Jefferson can get to him. Who knows?

Yes neck/ back.Thank you, that's worse, I  imagine he would'nt want to risk his health so he must be confident he's not.

Right. These guys have ego issues and all that but Powell said that two separate doctors gave him the ok. The career ending stuff came right from Bowles who is a complete tard.

Powell is a quiet humble family guy. If the doctors told him not to play I would think he wouldn’t risk it. What do i know though ? lol

In all honesty I didn't see why the tiny LB'er was cut when he was.  Not saying he should have made the team, just didn't see why then.  

That was the fuel for some of my fears post macc firing. Gase is not a GM. Legget had 5 waiver claims for him. That means we could have gotten something. During this period when we are all talking about trading for a CB or OL you don’t think having a 3rd year TE with NFL TD catches had any value? Add to it the Lee issue. Sure we got a 6th which at least is something but we are coming into the time of year when player for player trades gear up.

Legget and Lee AND sterling for that matter would be perfect bargaining chips for OL or CB depth.
Getting back on topic I would also say I can see macguire having the same type of value come August. He’s a decent back. Just not better than Powell.

Lee. Legget, macguire and a 4th for Trent Williams. Eh?? Eh???

Powell has shown over his career that he cant be counted on.  Hes coming off an injury which no one was sure, still dont, know if he will be himself.  Hes older than the rest for bonus point.
I would be shocked if hes on the roster and one of the others is gone

Why can’t Powell be counted on? I see him as a very reliable runner, pass catcher and protector on pass blocking. I actually feel he is the exact opposite. One of the only consistent players on very inconsistent teams.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He gets hurt every time he gotten the number imsopt.  I appreciate the guy but, he is what he is.  A mediocre back who been around too long.

I would think being in a 3rd back role behind Bell and Montgomery is the perfect role for him at this point. He is simply more dynamic than Mcguire will ever be and while he is obviously older, I don't see Mcguire being worth retaining if we don't have to. Bilal Powell for one year until Gase/Douglas can bring in a back they like to groom behind Bell would be more valuable than having a guy who will most likely never be the feature back. Mcguire is fine if it ends up that way, but I'd rather go with Bilal for 2019.  I'll admit there is a touch of emotion behind my thoughts though.  I see Powell as very reliable. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Very reliable?  When did he ever show that?  And now we're expecting more after surgery to fix a career threatening injury?  

Te second part is as I said earlier.  Philly has a lot of talented backs on their roster.  Backs Joe Douglas brought in.  Someone's going and all are better, younger  options than Powell.  

he's missed 7 games in his entire career prior to this injury that Bowles made sound much worse than it was.  Powell did an interview this week where he said the doctors (he saw more than one) literally never spoke about the injury being career ending. Powell has been a very solid and reliable back. He's no Zeke Elliot but come on. His averae has always been 4 YPC or above and he's a solid pass protector. Outside of age, which is legit he's a good option as a 3rd back. 

I can see the Eagles backs coming in as you said, but keeping it to the thread topic, I would see Powell as a better option than Mcguire and I see Cannon as making the team for his ST play. 

Date League Injury Details
Oct 21, 2018 NFL Cervical Neck  Powell underwent surgery for a bulging disk in his neck.
Oct 8, 2017 NFL Leg Calf Strain  Powell missed 1 game. 
Oct 15, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 Powell missed 4 games. 
Nov 11, 2012 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Powell returned the following week after getting concussed against Seattle. 
Oct 14, 2012 NFL Shoulder Dislocation  After a hard hit against the Colts, Powell was sidelined for the final quarter of the game plus the following 2 weeks.

23 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The addition of TM has made Powell nothing more than an emergency back. He does everything Powell can do and is younger and better. In a pinch he can be the lead back. I see no reason the retain Powell with TM on the team. 

As far as the other two, I really wanted to like McGuire but he has shown to bt JAG. If Cannon got rid of the fumble problem, he would be great on ST. Problem is he hasn't  done it to date.

Someone wrote we are removing the stench of Mac. I can think of nothing that would do that better than getting rid of his players that never contributed.  

All three can be cut and we probably don't  miss a beat

That doesn't mean removing guys just due to the fact that Macchiato's brought them in though. Peake may fall into that category of non contributors.  I can see getting rid of guys that Macc felt compelled to keep like Lee, but if a player can contribute and he's already on the team it's not smart to create a need. 

9 hours ago, RobR said:

He's on the wrong side of thirty, is coming off of a major injury, and has dealt with injury issues his entire career. Expecting him to be the player he was a couple of years ago is like mining for fools gold. He was a great Jet but probably falls in line with the Murrells and Baxters of our past. Never dominant, just OK.

He's barely been injured. No more than the nagging types of things most players deal with. 

Seriously? McGuire has flat out sucked. There is no need for Cannon really. He is a good gunner but it's not like he is making tackles on every KO and he is not being used as a pass catcher and won't  be used as that now with Ty and Bell playing on the team. They both can be cut and nobody would notice a difference. What need woukd be created. 
Even though Powell was brought back by Douglas, I have no idea why. He had a serious neck injury only a few months ago. 

Yeah. I hear ya. I’m not really defending Mcguire so much as cannon. I’m fine with Mcguire and don’t dislike him as much as some but I see him as easily replaceable. Cannon has done very well on ST’s as a gunner and has the speed to be a good COP back. He was a rookie with very limited duty on a $hit offense with a $hit OL. I think he would warrant more of a look than last season.

My point is that if you can upgrade that’s fine, but no need to rearrange the chairs if they are all the same. If someone is here and had potential I don’t see the need to move him out to bring in someone else with equal potential. Again upgrading is always welcome.

The thing I’m really curious and hopeful about is if we can actually begin to develop some of these young guys. Cannon has all the skills to warrant development.

Powell is much better than people give him credit for. I’d love to see him get a shot to back up the big two this year. That’s all really.

Missing games and not being able to get it done in games are two different things.  He's been ineffective because of injury.  He hasnt been durable over his career.  It is what it is.
Add to that and hes been an average back at best.  Hes been a good Jet but hes not the kind of back I cut people who realistically can provide the same production, are younger and at least have a chance of improvement.  
Thats me

I suppose I just like him a bit more. That’s about it. I would always choose youth over age when things are equal but Powell has been very consistent.
I’m not sure what you’re pointing to with not getting it done when he has a above a 4.0 Ypc over his career but I get what you’re saying.

I hope he sticks but don’t think there will be any emotionally based reason for it. If he can prove he deserves a spot then Gase will keep him. He will get the shot and I’m rooting for him.
I’d like him as the reserve back with cannon.

• Upvote 1

He rushed for 4.3 ypc behind the same OL that McGuire and Cannon managed 3.0 ypc behind. I'd be more concerned if he was coming off a leg injury than I am about him coming off a neck injury. We're talking about the third string back here, he doesn't have to be dominant. If he's healthy, he's an ideal jack-of-all-trades RB who can carry the ball, catch the ball and, maybe most important, pass protect very effectively. 
I have no idea how someone could take McGuire over him just because he's a few years younger. Powell is just better. 

Perfectly stated.

Powell’s pass protecting is severely underrated. He has been very effective in that role. If we were talking about his starter ability than I would understand the argument better but to have him as a reserve, I think he is perfect. Assuming he’s healthy of course.

• Upvote 1

Seriously? McGuire has flat out sucked. There is no need for Cannon really. He is a good gunner but it's not like he is making tackles on every KO and he is not being used as a pass catcher and won't  be used as that now with Ty and Bell playing on the team. They both can be cut and nobody would notice a difference. What need woukd be created. 
Even though Powell was brought back by Douglas, I have no idea why. He had a serious neck injury only a few months ago. 

Oh... and I’m delighted that the macchiato spell check thing is still slipping through. I’m gonna miss that.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company