Sarge4Tide

Cut One: Elijah McGuire, Trent Cannon or Bilal Powell?

Cannon, McGuire, or Powell?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If I were the Jets GM and I had to cut one, I would cut..........

• Bilal Powell
    • Trent Cannon
    • Elijah McGuire
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Cannon - the old pro Powell is needed for leadership and experience
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Powell - Cannon is too valuable on special teams
    • If I could, I'd cut both Powell and Cannon - McGuire is a solid backup for Bell
    • If I could, I'd cut all 3, to be quite honest - I could find a couple of better schmoes on the waiver wire

Why would you not just list each RB?  Why cloud the whole simple choice into total confusion 

Theyre not cutting two or three 

We'll sign one of the Eagles cuts.  They've got a lot of nice backs, someone will go and replace Powell

16 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Agreed. I think there is a very good chance that none of them make the final roster. 

Corey Clement would be an interesting guy to pick from Philly

34 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I voted Cannon. I get that he is a good special teams player but he has shown the least of the bunch as a RB. 

However, McGuire and Powell are both coming off injuries. That will make a big impact on who I keep. If they look great and are fully cleared to play and are outplaying Cannon you gotta keep them and cut Cannon loose. 

I don't get the negativity coming at McGuire. The guy looked solid playing behind a terrible run blocking O-line. He has proven that he can be effective way more so than Cannon. 

Powell you pretty much know what you are getting from. The question with him is, again, the injury...but also his age. Not that he is too old to be effective, but that the Jets may want to give a younger guy the opportunity.  

Powell has shown over his career that he cant be counted on.  Hes coming off an injury which no one was sure, still dont, know if he will be himself.  Hes older than the rest for bonus point.

I would be shocked if hes on the roster and one of the others is gone

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Why can’t Powell be counted on? I see him as a very reliable runner, pass catcher and protector on pass blocking. I actually feel he is the exact opposite. One of the only consistent players on very inconsistent teams.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He gets hurt every time he gotten the number imsopt.  I appreciate the guy but, he is what he is.  A mediocre back who been around too long.

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

I would think being in a 3rd back role behind Bell and Montgomery is the perfect role for him at this point. He is simply more dynamic than Mcguire will ever be and while he is obviously older, I don't see Mcguire being worth retaining if we don't have to. Bilal Powell for one year until Gase/Douglas can bring in a back they like to groom behind Bell would be more valuable than having a guy who will most likely never be the feature back. Mcguire is fine if it ends up that way, but I'd rather go with Bilal for 2019.  I'll admit there is a touch of emotion behind my thoughts though.  I see Powell as very reliable. 

Very reliable?  When did he ever show that?  And now we're expecting more after surgery to fix a career threatening injury?  

Te second part is as I said earlier.  Philly has a lot of talented backs on their roster.  Backs Joe Douglas brought in.  Someone's going and all are better, younger  options than Powell.  

59 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

he's missed 7 games in his entire career prior to this injury that Bowles made sound much worse than it was.  Powell did an interview this week where he said the doctors (he saw more than one) literally never spoke about the injury being career ending. Powell has been a very solid and reliable back. He's no Zeke Elliot but come on. His averae has always been 4 YPC or above and he's a solid pass protector. Outside of age, which is legit he's a good option as a 3rd back. 

I can see the Eagles backs coming in as you said, but keeping it to the thread topic, I would see Powell as a better option than Mcguire and I see Cannon as making the team for his ST play. 

Date League Injury Details
Oct 21, 2018 NFL Cervical Neck  Powell underwent surgery for a bulging disk in his neck.
Oct 8, 2017 NFL Leg Calf Strain  Powell missed 1 game. 
Oct 15, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 Powell missed 4 games. 
Nov 11, 2012 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Powell returned the following week after getting concussed against Seattle. 
Oct 14, 2012 NFL Shoulder Dislocation  After a hard hit against the Colts, Powell was sidelined for the final quarter of the game plus the following 2 weeks.

Missing games and not being able to get it done in games are two different things.  He's been ineffective because of injury.  He hasnt been durable over his career.  It is what it is.

Add to that and hes been an average back at best.  Hes been a good Jet but hes not the kind of back I cut people who realistically can provide the same production, are younger and at least have a chance of improvement.  

Thats me

• Like 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company