Cut One: Elijah McGuire, Trent Cannon or Bilal Powell?

Cannon, McGuire, or Powell?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If I were the Jets GM and I had to cut one, I would cut..........

• Bilal Powell
    • Trent Cannon
    • Elijah McGuire
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Cannon - the old pro Powell is needed for leadership and experience
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Powell - Cannon is too valuable on special teams
    • If I could, I'd cut both Powell and Cannon - McGuire is a solid backup for Bell
    • If I could, I'd cut all 3, to be quite honest - I could find a couple of better schmoes on the waiver wire

Haven't read through any of the thread, but Elijah needs to go.

Cannon is also garbage, but his speed will always be intriguing and he does try on Specials, so he's not going anywhere.

Powell - Loved him his entire tenure, but he's a non-durable, older RB coming off of an injury shortened season. He's like a C-grade version of Leveon which holds value to the team because when Bell needs a breather, Gase can essentially plug him in and still run the same offense. Still, depending on what role Gase envisions for Ty who can also play that role, Powell might also be expendable.

The hope is that Douglas/Gase don't make the mistake of not carrying enough RBs. The probability for both Bell and Powell to be injured in the early portions of the season are high, and we don't want to role into games with Ty (a WR coming out of college) starting and Cannon spelling him. I'm ok with cutting both or even all three as long as the stable is filled with other (better) horses.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

he's missed 7 games in his entire career prior to this injury that Bowles made sound much worse than it was.  Powell did an interview this week where he said the doctors (he saw more than one) literally never spoke about the injury being career ending. Powell has been a very solid and reliable back. He's no Zeke Elliot but come on. His averae has always been 4 YPC or above and he's a solid pass protector. Outside of age, which is legit he's a good option as a 3rd back. 

I can see the Eagles backs coming in as you said, but keeping it to the thread topic, I would see Powell as a better option than Mcguire and I see Cannon as making the team for his ST play. 

Date League Injury Details
Oct 21, 2018 NFL Cervical Neck  Powell underwent surgery for a bulging disk in his neck.
Oct 8, 2017 NFL Leg Calf Strain  Powell missed 1 game. 
Oct 15, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 Powell missed 4 games. 
Nov 11, 2012 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Powell returned the following week after getting concussed against Seattle. 
Oct 14, 2012 NFL Shoulder Dislocation  After a hard hit against the Colts, Powell was sidelined for the final quarter of the game plus the following 2 weeks.

Missing games and not being able to get it done in games are two different things.  He's been ineffective because of injury.  He hasnt been durable over his career.  It is what it is.

Add to that and hes been an average back at best.  Hes been a good Jet but hes not the kind of back I cut people who realistically can provide the same production, are younger and at least have a chance of improvement.  

Thats me

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That doesn't mean removing guys just due to the fact that Macchiato's brought them in though. Peake may fall into that category of non contributors.  I can see getting rid of guys that Macc felt compelled to keep like Lee, but if a player can contribute and he's already on the team it's not smart to create a need. 

Seriously? McGuire has flat out sucked. There is no need for Cannon really. He is a good gunner but it's not like he is making tackles on every KO and he is not being used as a pass catcher and won't  be used as that now with Ty and Bell playing on the team. They both can be cut and nobody would notice a difference. What need woukd be created. 

Even though Powell was brought back by Douglas, I have no idea why. He had a serious neck injury only a few months ago. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Very reliable?  When did he ever show that?  And now we're expecting more after surgery to fix a career threatening injury?  

Te second part is as I said earlier.  Philly has a lot of talented backs on their roster.  Backs Joe Douglas brought in.  Someone's going and all are better, younger  options than Powell.  

Bad news for me is that Douglas supposedly loved Pumphery.  Traded up to pick that undersized stiff in the 4th.I don't know exactly why, but the bench correlates to success for RBs.  Pumphery had 5 reps despite super short arms.  Both are worse than me and I'm 52.  I haven't thought I was going to be drafted for at least 7 years!

30 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The hope is that Douglas/Gase don't make the mistake of not carrying enough RBs. The probability for both Bell and Powell to be injured in the early portions of the season are high, and we don't want to role into games with Ty (a WR coming out of college) starting and Cannon spelling him. I'm ok with cutting both or even all three as long as the stable is filled with other (better) horses.

That's your hope, not mine.  RBs are not something to carry.  The lower guys are kept for their special teams ability. IF two go down, you pick one off the street or your practice squad.  De'Angelo Henderson will be fine for a game.  Otherwise, just go get somebody - CJ Anderson was sitting on his couch last year and he was fine.  Throw some money at Marshawn Lynch.. Ajayi is a free agent, but I assume Gase wouldn't want to work with him.  Plenty of guys will be available by the time it is an issue.

I think you are overstating Montgomery's role as WR.  He was primarily a WR at Stanford, but he also played RB and is probably primarily a return man.  He was an All-American kick returner.  He only returned punts as  senior, but was excellent.  In the NFL he has been more RB than WR.  I am not carrying an extra back because you don't like his resume.  

10 hours ago, RobR said:

He's on the wrong side of thirty, is coming off of a major injury, and has dealt with injury issues his entire career. Expecting him to be the player he was a couple of years ago is like mining for fools gold. He was a great Jet but probably falls in line with the Murrells and Baxters of our past. Never dominant, just OK.

He rushed for 4.3 ypc behind the same OL that McGuire and Cannon managed 3.0 ypc behind. I'd be more concerned if he was coming off a leg injury than I am about him coming off a neck injury. We're talking about the third string back here, he doesn't have to be dominant. If he's healthy, he's an ideal jack-of-all-trades RB who can carry the ball, catch the ball and, maybe most important, pass protect very effectively. 

I have no idea how someone could take McGuire over him just because he's a few years younger. Powell is just better. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

He rushed for 4.3 ypc behind the same OL that McGuire and Cannon managed 3.0 ypc behind. I'd be more concerned if he was coming off a leg injury than I am about him coming off a neck injury. We're talking about the third string back here, he doesn't have to be dominant. If he's healthy, he's an ideal jack-of-all-trades RB who can carry the ball, catch the ball and, maybe most important, pass protect very effectively. 

I have no idea how someone could take McGuire over him just because he's a few years younger. Powell is just better. 

Bingo.  I've always thought age is something to definitely consider when determining a tiebreaker among players.  However, being younger doesn't mean a damn thing when that player is substantially less talented.  It's just a little tough to disregard a more than 40% greater output per carry from the "old" guy.

If there are health issues with Powell, that could obviously have an impact on his future, but we all have no way of knowing his condition, and the Jets (and their medical staff) seem to think it's not an issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, slats said:

I worry about him falling off of that proverbial cliff like most RB's do around his age. It doesn't help when he already stated that he's out of shape.

I'd prefer my third back be a younger guy that hopefully gets better over time. And FTR I don't want McGuire either, he's terrible.

• Upvote 1

Seriously? McGuire has flat out sucked. There is no need for Cannon really. He is a good gunner but it's not like he is making tackles on every KO and he is not being used as a pass catcher and won't  be used as that now with Ty and Bell playing on the team. They both can be cut and nobody would notice a difference. What need woukd be created. 
Even though Powell was brought back by Douglas, I have no idea why. He had a serious neck injury only a few months ago. 

Yeah. I hear ya. I’m not really defending Mcguire so much as cannon. I’m fine with Mcguire and don’t dislike him as much as some but I see him as easily replaceable. Cannon has done very well on ST’s as a gunner and has the speed to be a good COP back. He was a rookie with very limited duty on a $hit offense with a $hit OL. I think he would warrant more of a look than last season.

My point is that if you can upgrade that’s fine, but no need to rearrange the chairs if they are all the same. If someone is here and had potential I don’t see the need to move him out to bring in someone else with equal potential. Again upgrading is always welcome.

The thing I’m really curious and hopeful about is if we can actually begin to develop some of these young guys. Cannon has all the skills to warrant development.

Powell is much better than people give him credit for. I’d love to see him get a shot to back up the big two this year. That’s all really.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'd prefer my third back be a younger guy that hopefully gets better over time. And FTR I don't want McGuire either, he's terrible.

I don't disagree, but given the choices currently here, McGuire is far and away the guy I cut. Powell is the best back of the three, even if he's lost a step, and Cannon provides value on STs as well as some legit speed that Gase might be able to get something out of. 

But yeah, I could easily see Powell and McGuire both gone with Douglas finding replacements in the mini-draft. 

Missing games and not being able to get it done in games are two different things.  He's been ineffective because of injury.  He hasnt been durable over his career.  It is what it is.
Add to that and hes been an average back at best.  Hes been a good Jet but hes not the kind of back I cut people who realistically can provide the same production, are younger and at least have a chance of improvement.  
Thats me

I suppose I just like him a bit more. That’s about it. I would always choose youth over age when things are equal but Powell has been very consistent.
I’m not sure what you’re pointing to with not getting it done when he has a above a 4.0 Ypc over his career but I get what you’re saying.

I hope he sticks but don’t think there will be any emotionally based reason for it. If he can prove he deserves a spot then Gase will keep him. He will get the shot and I’m rooting for him.
I’d like him as the reserve back with cannon.

• Upvote 1

Perfectly stated.

Powell’s pass protecting is severely underrated. He has been very effective in that role. If we were talking about his starter ability than I would understand the argument better but to have him as a reserve, I think he is perfect. Assuming he’s healthy of course.

• Upvote 1

Oh... and I’m delighted that the macchiato spell check thing is still slipping through. I’m gonna miss that.

i chose mcguire.  cannon probably brings more as a special teamer and powell, if healthy, is a good backup to bell.  imo this is more of a win now team than we have seen in a long time so there's really no reason to keep players that need some development on the roster.  hopefully they can put mcguire or whoever on the practice squad.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 5:46 PM, Jet Nut said:

Powell has shown over his career that he cant be counted on.  Hes coming off an injury which no one was sure, still dont, know if he will be himself.  Hes older than the rest for bonus point.

I would be shocked if hes on the roster and one of the others is gone

I get the reasoning behind the injury. With something like that you are taking a risk. HOWEVER, if the docs clear him and he is looking good in camp, I don;t see how he would get beat out by Cannon. Powell does everything better than Cannon on the field. He's not a speedster and can't be an effective returner, but Cannon has not proven he can be that either. 

Also, where are you getting this notion that over his career he has shown he cannot be counted on? Not counting last year, where he played 7 games and his rookie year, where he only played 2, Powell has averaged over 14 games a season. He's been consistent. 

On 6/28/2019 at 11:48 AM, slats said:

I don't disagree, but given the choices currently here, McGuire is far and away the guy I cut. Powell is the best back of the three, even if he's lost a step, and Cannon provides value on STs as well as some legit speed that Gase might be able to get something out of. 

But yeah, I could easily see Powell and McGuire both gone with Douglas finding replacements in the mini-draft. 

Powell will also last 2 minutes before suffering another season ending injury

6 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Cannon. Too light in the ass and fumbles every game. McGuire had a 73 yd td run against Jax in 2017. Been a fan of his ever since. He's a good backup, good size and speed.

This must be an excellent point, I keep reading it.  Here is a little quiz:   How many fumbles did Trenton Cannon have during the 2018 regular season?

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

This must be an excellent point, I keep reading it.  Here is a little quiz:   How many fumbles did Trenton Cannon have during the 2018 regular season?

Cannon sucks McGuire doesn't. That work??

On 6/28/2019 at 8:58 AM, GREENBEAN said:

he's missed 7 games in his entire career prior to this injury that Bowles made sound much worse than it was.  Powell did an interview this week where he said the doctors (he saw more than one) literally never spoke about the injury being career ending. Powell has been a very solid and reliable back. He's no Zeke Elliot but come on. His averae has always been 4 YPC or above and he's a solid pass protector. Outside of age, which is legit he's a good option as a 3rd back. 

I can see the Eagles backs coming in as you said, but keeping it to the thread topic, I would see Powell as a better option than Mcguire and I see Cannon as making the team for his ST play. 

Date League Injury Details
Oct 21, 2018 NFL Cervical Neck  Powell underwent surgery for a bulging disk in his neck.
Oct 8, 2017 NFL Leg Calf Strain  Powell missed 1 game. 
Oct 15, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 Powell missed 4 games. 
Nov 11, 2012 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Powell returned the following week after getting concussed against Seattle. 
Oct 14, 2012 NFL Shoulder Dislocation  After a hard hit against the Colts, Powell was sidelined for the final quarter of the game plus the following 2 weeks.

Basicly what I posted on page 2.

Powell hasnt been this injury riddled RB like some here seem to believe. I think his pass catching ability will be a blessing for Sammy.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Basicly what I posted on page 2.

Powell hasnt been this injury riddled RB like some here seem to believe. I think his pass catching ability will be a blessing for Sammy.

He has a serious neck injury.  Those don’t go away

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:50 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

While it's certainly possible all three RBs will make the Jets Opening Day 53 Man Roster, it seems likely the Jets will have to cut at least one of the 3.

Which one would YOU cut if you were the Jets GM?

powell..

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well, you're half right.  They both suck.  They both averaged 3 ypc last year.  The one you think is fast is considerably slower though. 

Talk to me when Cannon has a 73 yd td run in the NFL. MCGUIRE has one.

10 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Talk to me when Cannon has a 73 yd td run in the NFL. MCGUIRE has one.

The highlight of his career is one run that occurred nearly 2 years ago.  Beyond that one outlier, for the rest of his career he's averaged 2.9 YPC.

8 minutes ago, TNJet said:

More like our offensive line was horrid.

And yet Powell, Crowell, and even friggin' Forte did better behind those same "horrid" OLs.

34 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The highlight of his career is one run that occurred nearly 2 years ago.  Beyond that one outlier, for the rest of his career he's averaged 2.9 YPC.

And yet Powell, Crowell, and even friggin' Forte did better behind those same "horrid" OLs.

Too many words, but that is what I was going to say.  ;)