Cut One: Elijah McGuire, Trent Cannon or Bilal Powell?

Cannon, McGuire, or Powell?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If I were the Jets GM and I had to cut one, I would cut..........

• Bilal Powell
    • Trent Cannon
    • Elijah McGuire
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Cannon - the old pro Powell is needed for leadership and experience
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Powell - Cannon is too valuable on special teams
    • If I could, I'd cut both Powell and Cannon - McGuire is a solid backup for Bell
    • If I could, I'd cut all 3, to be quite honest - I could find a couple of better schmoes on the waiver wire

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

The highlight of his career is one run that occurred nearly 2 years ago.  Beyond that one outlier, for the rest of his career he's averaged 2.9 YPC.

And yet Powell, Crowell, and even friggin' Forte did better behind those same "horrid" OLs.

Curtis Martin avg. 3.0 yds a carry for his career. But he's in Canton. So idk if that stat means you suck or can't play necessarily. 

3 hours ago, TNJet said:

Not to make more excuses for McGuire but he had an injury that took him awhile to return from last year, and some guys are looking at his ypc statistics from last year lol. Yeah he must suck.

100%. I think he’s going to stick and be productive. 

15 hours ago, TNJet said:

Not to make more excuses for McGuire but he had an injury that took him awhile to return from last year, and some guys are looking at his ypc statistics from last year lol. Yeah he must suck.

Crowell had a 4.9 ypc last year yet somehow he sucks too

Go figs 

5 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

No, Martin averaged 4.0 ypc. A 33% better output is a pretty significant difference.

Over 3500 carries compared to McGuires 92. It's a lot easier to have a big YPC with a small sample set yet McGuire still pales in comparison to Martin in the category.

To whomever did this, please don't ever mention McGuire in the same breath as Martin. McGuire is straight trash. He will be cut in the preseason now that we have an offensive head coach that knows what the hell he's looking at. Complete and utter trash.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TNJet said:

This may be the issue.  McGuire supposedly looked good as a junior, but fairly pedestrian as a senior because he took time coming back from a foot injury.  He missed the first half of 2018 after foot surgery.  Of course, some don't think he was so hot in 2017 - Football Outsiders had him dead last in DVOA. 

On 7/18/2019 at 1:54 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

Over 3500 carries compared to McGuires 92. It's a lot easier to have a big YPC with a small sample set yet McGuire still pales in comparison to Martin in the category.

To whomever did this, please don't ever mention McGuire in the same breath as Martin. McGuire is straight trash. He will be cut in the preseason now that we have an offensive head coach that knows what the hell he's looking at. Complete and utter trash.

Complete and utter trash backs can't have 73 yd td runs against Jax in the NFL. He's no Martin and never will be, you misunderstood. Not a comparison of the caliber of players.

10 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Complete and utter trash backs can't have 73 yd td runs against Jax in the NFL. He's no Martin and never will be, you misunderstood. Not a comparison of the caliber of players.

One single play in absolutely no way defines a player's overall abilities.  Even mediocre backs don't average under 3 YPC on every career carry other than the one individual long run (69 yds, to be accurate) being used to defend him.

The Jets absolutely dominated JAX on the ground that day, no matter who stepped on the field.  After all, that wasn't even the longest run of the day (that honor goes to Powell's 75 yd TD).  Meanwhile, McGuire still only averaged 2.7 YPC on the rest of his carries in that game.

Statistical outliers don't define careers.

4 hours ago, TNJet said:

Bro do you realize you sound like fricken Al Bundy when you talk about this 73 yard TD? One big run means nothing.

Why don't you tell us what attributes he has that make him special?

What McGuire is today is something u can find McGuire in the 6-7th round in the draft every year.  His above average quality is as a receiver so if he learns how to pass protect then we can discuss him supplanting someone like Powell.  Until then, he and cannon are the odd men out in the group.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:26 PM, Peace Frog said:

100%. I think he’s going to stick and be productive. 

McGuire is a kid that can do everything you need a back to do.  Hes got hands, a quick juke and can run between the tackles. Hes no superstar but he checks all the boxes whereas Cannon is a bit of a one trick pony. Bilal will be gone in a year or two and if you want Bell to last at all, someone has to be capable of spelling him. McGuire is cheap, productive and young. He'd be a genuine lost in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

McGuire is a kid that can do everything you need a back to do.  Hes got hands, a quick juke and can run between the tackles. Hes no superstar but he checks all the boxes whereas Cannon is a bit of a one trick pony. Bilal will be gone in a year or two and if you want Bell to last at all, someone has to be capable of spelling him. McGuire is cheap, productive and young. He'd be a genuine lost in my opinion. 

I really disagree here. 

I think Powell is better at everything that a RB does than McGuire, and that Cannon brings genuine value on special teams. I wouldn't hesitate to make McGuire the cut. Look at RB in the draft again next year or the year after and never miss him. 

Also think that RB is a place where the Jets might make a selection in the mini-draft. More than one of these guys could be gone. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2019 at 4:55 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

Bro do you realize you sound like fricken Al Bundy when you talk about this 73 yard TD? One big run means nothing.

Why don't you tell us what attributes he has that make him special?

I've just not seen anything to define him as complete garbage yet after 2 seasons in which the last he was mostly injured. Trying to figure out where the hates coming from fir the kid? I am for a 6th round pick of Macc to be a success and not just another failure,call me optimistiv i guess. Is there attributes to Cannonthat make him so much more special? Besides playing at an even smaller school in Virginia State? LA Lafayette is atleast Div 1.

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

I've just not seen anything to define him as complete garbage yet after 2 seasons in which the last he was mostly injured. Trying to figure out where the hates coming from fir the kid? I am for a 6th round pick of Macc to be a success and not just another failure,call me optimistiv i guess. Is there attributes to Cannonthat make him so much more special? Besides playing at an even smaller school in Virginia State? LA Lafayette is atleast Div 1.

I think they're both trash tbh. I just don't see anything they do exceptionally well and they both seem to have feet for hands.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think they're both trash tbh. I just don't see anything they do exceptionally well and they both seem to have feet for hands.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most of them stink. Both of these guys are Jets atm so I'm hoping they both succeed. End of discussion for me. Go jets.

13 hours ago, TNJet said:

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most of them stink. Both of these guys are Jets atm so I'm hoping they both succeed. End of discussion for me. Go jets.

You must love sniffing assholes seeing as how you spend as much time as you do on a site that is dedicated to discussing opinions.

On 7/20/2019 at 9:36 AM, slats said:

I really disagree here. 

I think Powell is better at everything that a RB does than McGuire, and that Cannon brings genuine value on special teams. I wouldn't hesitate to make McGuire the cut. Look at RB in the draft again next year or the year after and never miss him. 

Also think that RB is a place where the Jets might make a selection in the mini-draft. More than one of these guys could be gone. 

Yeah he can be replaced. But hes got a year of nfl experience, why start all over again with a rookie when you're talking about a third or 4th string back?  Hes insurance should one of your top backs miss any games and he costs the same as anyone that would replace him. Just doesn't make sense to toss out a kid who can play and be a decent change up. Save the draft for things like OL and cb where the depth is an actual need. Just my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Yeah he can be replaced. But hes got a year of nfl experience, why start all over again with a rookie when you're talking about a third or 4th string back?  Hes insurance should one of your top backs miss any games and he costs the same as anyone that would replace him. Just doesn't make sense to toss out a kid who can play and be a decent change up. Save the draft for things like OL and cb where the depth is an actual need. Just my opinion. 

Whether you keep McGuire or Powell, you're gonna be looking to replace whoever's left in a year or two. So why not keep the RB who's currently better at everything? Powell's a better runner, better receiver, better blocker. I'd be looking to move on from him in a couple years when he deteriorates to playing at McGuire's current level. Two years from now, Bell will be 29 1/2 with a base salary of $8M in 2021 becoming fully guaranteed in March, too. The smart move would be to be looking for a potential replacement for Bell, let alone Powell or McGuire, by then in the draft. 

• Upvote 1