Deus Ex Machina

It seems the only thing that hasn't changed for the New York Jets has been the never ending changes.  Every fews years the music would stop, coaches, GM's, and other front office personnel would scramble to find a seat lest they be the one without one.  In a good run, that change would last four years, in others only two.  But the results were always the same.  A fundamental lack of progress only to have the music start again with yet more changes to come.

It's 2019 and last season seems like decades ago.  The before and after images of the entire organization are drastically different.  Draconian?  Perhaps.  Necessary?  Likely.  Are we done with the never ending musical chairs?  Are these changes as different as they feel?  Let's take a closer look.

• Joe Douglas appears to have the bone fides needed to be a successful GM.  He has made his bones sitting at the feet of some of the best in the business.  And having a GM who seems to have a shared philosophy with his head coach is a luxury the Jets haven't had in awhile.  And Douglas, like his head coach, seems to be a serious guy.  Is he our George Young?  They both followed butt fumbling circuses so they have that in common!  I hope that's not the only thing they have in common.
  • In the past, the Johnsons, under the advice of headhunters, accountants, attorneys and GM's of yesteryear, hired GM we never heard of and no other team appeared interested in.  That changed dramatically with the hiring of Douglas.  But it's even more drastic now.  Douglas is bringing in what appears to be a staff behind him with experience and with their own bona fides to create a real front office.  To me, this is as big of a difference.
  • Adam Gase is the new general in town.  As previously mentioned, he and the GM appear to be on the same page and that's good.  Gase is an offensive coach. That's good, especially for a young QB like Sam Darnold.  Gase will hold his players accountable.  And that's good.  My hesitation about Gase is his personality.  I am concerned about the first time there is some real adversity about this team (other than the adversity we have witnessed over the last few months!).  The expectations are enormous and with that comes immediate expected results.  How will Gase react after a few loses?  He does not like to be challenged in any way and he will be if they don't start winning.  The way Gase responds to criticism will go a very long way in determining if this new formula will work long term.  Add the mercurial Greg Williams to the mix and, well, I just don't know.
  • The roster is significantly improved over the last few years.  To be sure, there are deficiencies but this 52 man roster is way better than we've seen in a very long time.  And we have our QB of the future.  One can argue how we got these guys, who picked them, who didn't want them, whatever!  We have them and they're good.  Very good.

So, is this latest sea of changes the 'deus ex machina' this organization has desperately needed to change the fate of the New York Jets?  Is there light at the end of the tunnel or is it another train coming right at us?  We'll see.  I'm hopeful.  But we'll see.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1