Jets new regime will keep an eye on Chuma Edoga, Jachai Polite

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I do not think the mccagnan drafts bad character thing is correct other than this lat draft perhaps.  He passed on obvious good players like mixon and cook among others.

Should have made the change when bowels was fired and we would not be having this convo and not perhaps wasting players because ' he is not our guy that we drafted'

I am willing to bet that he did not vet these guys as much as some teams.  Guys like Shepherd, Donahue and Cannon are older prospects.  Usually guys with NFL skills don't fall far enough through the cracks to end up bagging groceries playing at D3 schools unless there were some issues.  Seems like a decent amount of substance/alcohol issues which investigators usually can find. He was also happy enough to take a chance on Marshall, ASJ and Henderson who were dealing with mental health/substance/alcohol issues.

24 minutes ago, slats said:

I referenced his combine interviews: Jachai Polite May Have Had the Worst Combine Ever

In that article, he's depicted as someone who could not handle criticism at all. He lashed out at teams for picking apart his game, and revealed that he never watched himself on film before. That, to me, doesn't sound like someone who might respond well to someone getting in his face. 

Now, I know you know the player a million times better than I do, and I'd love to be wrong in that regard, so I'll just leave it at that. 

Meh, the combine interviews are stupid and they ask stupid sh*t.  Casserly said Kyler Murray was the consensus worst interviews ever, he still went #1 overall.   And Polite never said, "he's never watched himself on film before" - he said he doesnt watch film "often."  You honestly think that he went to a program like Florida for 3 years and they never watched film of a practice or a game and he never received constructive criticism?  Come'on man! 

And then did you actually read the "full exchange" that Heilprin posted?  It's nothing.  LIterally nothing in that exchange shows that Polite cant handle constructive criticism.   All he's doing is literally telling you what happened in an interview with the Packers.  It's all out of context bull sh*t.  

Look, I was in shock when his name was called and I have no clue what he'll be at the next level but some of the stuff coming out about him is just patently false.  He got bad advice and he's not the sharpest tool in the shed to realize what was happening.  If we get the player I watched every single snap of last season, we got a steal.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is his own coach saying he’s got million-dollar talent and a ten-cent head.

No argument here.  He's young and dumb.  No doubt.

That said, all of this stuff started coming out after Polite decided to turn pro.  Look, I follow this program as close as I do the Jets.  Polite was the darling coming out of the offseason program.  The hardest worker, a leader, etc.  They loved him.  Everything you read during and before he told them he was going pro was nothing but accolades.  It wasnt until he said he was turning pro that "stuff" (that nobody can actually define) started coming up about him.  

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/dan-mullen-raves-about-explosiveness-of-florida-dl-jachai-polite/

And then this stuff started and where the rub came.  Grantham was telling him he could benefit from staying obviously being selfish and ignores the possibility of him getting injured (something Saban does often) but instead talks about the money he could be leaving on the table but never mentions how if he was injured, he may not get drafted at all. 

https://florida.rivals.com/news/jachai-polite-still-undecided-about-nfl-future/printable

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The character concerns for both of those guys seem extremely overblown.  Their transgressions seem rather minor compared to a lot of other players. Neither qualifies as the 2nd coming of John Dillinger 

And if there were no concerns they might have both gone in the first round.  Polite was mocked in the mid first round until he had a  terrible combine.   Its not unusual to draft players in later rounds that have a question or two about their desire and drive, athletic testing, level of competition, or character concerns.  Joe Montana went in the third round because he was short.  Brady went in the 6th round because of concerns about his arm strength.  Herndon went in the fourth because he had been injured and couldnt test.   He might now be a steal.  

Sometimes guys mature or grow physically and justify the pick and end up as steals.    Other times they play to their lower draft spot and end up cut.  There is a risk vs  reward consideration.

I think this article is another piece of crap generated just to pass the time till training camp.  Mac certainly didnt draft players with a history of domestic violence

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

By: Tyler Calvaruso

Throughout his tenure as Jets general manager, Mike Maccagnan had a tendency to overlook character in favor of raw talent.

Huh? This is the same guy who has drafted numerous players who cant run or jump?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

interesting points.  luckily these guys are rookies and the coaches should know pretty darn quick if they will have good attitudes for their careers or at least this season.  imo mac also used to go after guys whose draft position dropped due to injury.  he was always looking for those diamonds in the rough.  unfortunately for the jets most of those diamonds turned into coal.

Jets drafts are like Charlie Brown on Halloween.

Miami got Dan Marino! Jets got a rock.

Tampa Bay got Warren Sapp! Jets got a rock.

Dallas Cowboys got Demarcus Lawrence @ 34! Jets got a rock @ 18 (Pryor)

This has been going on a looooong time with this organization. 

Jets got a rock.

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jets drafts are like Charlie Brown on Halloween.

Miami got Dan Marino! Jets got a rock.

Tampa Bay got Warren Sapp! Jets got a rock.

Dallas Cowboys got Demarcus Lawrence @ 34! Jets got a rock @ 18 (Pryor)

This has been going on a looooong time with this organization. 

Jets got a rock.

pretty good analogy.  hopefully the tide has changed.

Mac as GM and his front office was just terrible.  Rex Hogan basically walked out on it.  

Huge improvement here.  We should see results, in 2020.  This is tough to fix in January. Professionals are loyal to the teams they scouted for.  The concept has a lag. 

9 hours ago, Warmbrother said:

Oh wait.... So now the narrative has changed? Before, mac avoided character issues. Now hes a taker of talent regardless of character. So which is it

Yeah, I'm not getting this.

We get it, Mac sucked but pick the reason he sucked, can't have it both ways.

We passed on a bunch of talented guys because of character issues but...he overlooked character for talent?

Does not compute. 

Drafted by previous GM. If they don't perform, new GM might not keep them... This really is the worst part of the offseason. 

Considering the fact that Mac couldn't even justify keeping most of his draft picks by their second season, I'd say history isnt on the side of these two but I really hope both break that trend. If we luck out and even one of them ends up starting caliber it would be huge for us 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

50% chance Polite doesn’t make it to September

I agree! Trade him now before he turns into the bust that we probably already know we have. Seriously I don't think he has the work ethic or character to become what the Jets need him to be. Does he have raw talent - sure. Is his raw talent head and shoulders above other decent pass rushers - I don't think so. So he doesn't have a great work ethic and his character is questionable and his talent isn't enough to make up for the deficiency in other areas. I really hope not but he could be a bust for sure.

this is absurd.
i actually met him at the rookie event.  he had the best personality and attitude of the rookies including Q.  very, very outgoing and personable.  

Thank you, many people here are talking crap about these kids without knowing them or the Circumstances that raised these issues and the facts behind them.
I don’t know who this clown is who wrote this trash, but as far as I am concerned, a clean slate policy takes effect the minute they got drafted by the Jets. All of the concerns are minor BS, they didn’t beat there Mother’s or wife’s they didn’t kill anybody or Violently assaulted anyone.
So these statements like “he won’t make it till September” are beyond silly. These are very young men and young men sometimes make poor decisions. If they learn from and grow from theses choices they will become a better man.
So before anyone sits in the judgment seat, how about we give them a chance to show that they belong here and will contribute to both the team and there communities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk