Hidden Talent

7 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Blessuan Austin - This guy really looks like a player.  Is that all?  Who knows, but when he was healthy he was a player.  We can argue whether or not he was worth a sixth round pick but I don't mind a guy with his natural size and talent getting a redshirt year.

Healthy I heard this kid is a beast direct from Rutgers people. 

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

With 'only' 3+ weeks to the start of training camp the topics on this site (and most sites) become more and more lame.  Seriously, do we really want to tear apart the second half of games played in the '90's?!  There's just not much to talk about.  Let's make some stuff up!  Do you think we have any hidden gems on this team?  Might we find some from other teams.  Here's some possibilities;

• Derrick Jones - This guy just looks like a player.  He has the size and speed to succeed at cornerback.  And the little (inexcusably little!) that Bowles used him he didn't seem lost.  In fact, he looked pretty good at times.  I would love to see this guy get a shot at playing time this year.  That is not to suggest Dase rely on him to play significant minutes but he does deserve a chance.
  • Deontay Burnett - In the Pats and Bears games last year Burnett caught all nine passes thrown his way for a 14.9 average.  While I think some make too much out of the 'chemistry' he has with Darnold based on the fact that they played together at USC, Burnett did show a bit late last year.  He has decent size and may have a future as a WR3.
  • Frankie Luvu - Did anyone expect anything from this guy last year?  I sure didn't.  He looks like a Greg Williams kind of guy, no?  I love his intensity and Williams may too.  If he becomes a backup situational pass rusher he would be a real find.
  • Blessuan Austin - This guy really looks like a player.  Is that all?  Who knows, but when he was healthy he was a player.  We can argue whether or not he was worth a sixth round pick but I don't mind a guy with his natural size and talent getting a redshirt year.
  • Greg Dortch - gets double teamed while being the only viable threat on his team yet catches everything thrown his way.  Lightning in a bottle?  I think most Jets fans will be rooting hard for this guy.

Some intriguing stories here.  Feel free to list others.

I hope Burnett gets a chance.  I like Sam having a WR he is really familiar with.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

15 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

After playing 13 games, I would hope Sam is familiar with all our starting WR and TE

Familiar, and trusting are two different things.  Kid doesn’t drop passes.

There is chemistry, then there is chemistry when a WR and his QB know what each other is thinking.  Sam and Tay are too very unselfish players. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Hey Betty I once saw Alex VanDyke catch a TD pass in TC and was convinced...........

Holu $hit. I haven;t thought about that guy in forever. The weird thing is just reading that name made me think of Ryan Yarborough.  Is that bad? 

Well, back in the early days of Tanny it was almost expected each and every year. Beat writers would mention someone who seems to jump off to a great and early start, even as early as OTA's. 2006 was Leon Washington. 2007 was David Harris. Dustin Keller and so on and so forth.

But those days are seemingly gone?

Maybe it's just my lingering complaints of Mac? When Mac arrived, from his first draft to this year, you NEVER heard of these guys making their name stand out. As evidenced by his piss poor drafting record, not one player drafted by Mac ever became one of those late round success stories. The obvious 1st rounders in Jamal and Sammy shined, but they were 1st rounders. Mac drafted the worst trash after the 1st round I've ever seen. 

It's my sincere and genuine hope that those days will start again? Maybe with Joe Douglas as our GM we'll see more steals like Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Eric Smith, and Jeremy Kerley. Players that made the Jets a good team outside of the starting offense and defense.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

With 'only' 3+ weeks to the start of training camp the topics on this site (and most sites) become more and more lame.  Seriously, do we really want to tear apart the second half of games played in the '90's?!  There's just not much to talk about.  Let's make some stuff up!  Do you think we have any hidden gems on this team?  Might we find some from other teams.  Here's some possibilities;

• Derrick Jones - This guy just looks like a player.  He has the size and speed to succeed at cornerback.  And the little (inexcusably little!) that Bowles used him he didn't seem lost.  In fact, he looked pretty good at times.  I would love to see this guy get a shot at playing time this year.  That is not to suggest Dase rely on him to play significant minutes but he does deserve a chance.
  • Deontay Burnett - In the Pats and Bears games last year Burnett caught all nine passes thrown his way for a 14.9 average.  While I think some make too much out of the 'chemistry' he has with Darnold based on the fact that they played together at USC, Burnett did show a bit late last year.  He has decent size and may have a future as a WR3.
  • Frankie Luvu - Did anyone expect anything from this guy last year?  I sure didn't.  He looks like a Greg Williams kind of guy, no?  I love his intensity and Williams may too.  If he becomes a backup situational pass rusher he would be a real find.
  • Blessuan Austin - This guy really looks like a player.  Is that all?  Who knows, but when he was healthy he was a player.  We can argue whether or not he was worth a sixth round pick but I don't mind a guy with his natural size and talent getting a redshirt year.
  • Greg Dortch - gets double teamed while being the only viable threat on his team yet catches everything thrown his way.  Lightning in a bottle?  I think most Jets fans will be rooting hard for this guy.

Some intriguing stories here.  Feel free to list others.

There have been some sh*tty trolling threads lately. 

This is not one. 

Love Jones, Burnett, Luvu an Dortch and am really crossing my fingers on Austin. 

Well done OP. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

This guy could make some noise at a position we're sorely lacking. He played very well in his limit action last year. 

He's already earned a backup job and has a chance to steal a starting role. 

The rest of the guys have a chance to earn a spot. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Familiar, and trusting are two different things.  Kid doesn’t drop passes.

There is chemistry, then there is chemistry when a WR and his QB know what each other is thinking.  Sam and Tay are too very unselfish players. 

Herndon and Anderson should have his trust more than Burnette. I understand you bleed red and gold but c’mon. Burnette needs to break into the starting lineup to elevate him so. Nice development player but has a way to go before he gets consistent snaps

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, back in the early days of Tanny it was almost expected each and every year. Beat writers would mention someone who seems to jump off to a great and early start, even as early as OTA's. 2006 was Leon Washington. 2007 was David Harris. Dustin Keller and so on and so forth.

Maybe it's just my lingering complaints of Mac? When Mac arrived, from his first draft to this year, you NEVER heard of these guys making their name stand out. As evidenced by his piss poor drafting record, not one player drafted by Mac ever became one of those late round success stories. The obvious 1st rounders in Jamal and Sammy shined, but they were 1st rounders. Mac drafted the worst trash after the 1st round I've ever seen. 

It's my sincere and genuine hope that those days will start again? Maybe with Joe Douglas as our GM we'll see more steals like Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Eric Smith, and Jeremy Kerley. Players that made the Jets a good team outside of the starting offense and defense.

Add Cotch.

I wonder if there's any hope for Ben Braden, 2nd year UDFA from Michigan.  Probably asking for too much to hope he could start one day but I would love to move on from Qvale as a backup.  I hope Branden sees time in the pre-season (but NOT protecting Sam!).

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Chris Herndon dude. And Robby as a UDFA? Mac sucked and I get your point, but there were a few bright spots there.

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

To be fair there were some really bad picks as well.  David Harris was the only second rounder who did anything during Tanny's tenure.  The only years he nailed it was when he took D'Brick and Mangold and then Revis in the first round.  Gholston, Anthony Schlegel, Vlad Ducasse, Stephen Hill, Kyle Wilson and on and on.  Herndon, Jenkins (despite what the moron from the NY Post thinks) and Robby Anderson are decent guys we got in later rounds (and later).  I AM NOT DEFENDING MAC HERE!  I'm just saying the bottom line is let's hope Douglas consistently drafts well through all rounds.  We need to do better.

• Upvote 1