Hidden Talent

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Issue isn't his talent, it's the health of his knees and his inability to stay on the field.  

In all honesty being able to stay healthy is as much of a skill as anything else. The odds are unfortunately stacked against this kid. If he couldn't stay healthy in college, he likely won't be able to in the NFL.

I hope he proves me wrong though. It would be great to have a late round steal at a position of need.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Healthy I heard this kid is a beast direct from Rutgers people. 

I heard the same. However, I also heard that healthy this kid still needs a ton of grooming and development. Due to injury he has very little football experiment. You are pretty much working with his athletic attributes and instinct. Everything else they will probably need to start from scratch with. 

16 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, back in the early days of Tanny it was almost expected each and every year. Beat writers would mention someone who seems to jump off to a great and early start, even as early as OTA's. 2006 was Leon Washington. 2007 was David Harris. Dustin Keller and so on and so forth.

But those days are seemingly gone?

Maybe it's just my lingering complaints of Mac? When Mac arrived, from his first draft to this year, you NEVER heard of these guys making their name stand out. As evidenced by his piss poor drafting record, not one player drafted by Mac ever became one of those late round success stories. The obvious 1st rounders in Jamal and Sammy shined, but they were 1st rounders. Mac drafted the worst trash after the 1st round I've ever seen. 

It's my sincere and genuine hope that those days will start again? Maybe with Joe Douglas as our GM we'll see more steals like Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Eric Smith, and Jeremy Kerley. Players that made the Jets a good team outside of the starting offense and defense.

Your memory is faulty.  I can vividly remember reading about what a stud Chad Hansen was, in mini-camp, OTAs, almost all of last preseason.  Then he didn;t make the roster.  The articles are always there, because they beat writers have to write.  The validity was not. 

• Haha 1

There have been some sh*tty trolling threads lately. 
This is not one. 
Love Jones, Burnett, Luvu an Dortch and am really crossing my fingers on Austin. 
Well done OP. 

Blessaun arrived in Florham park with his jaw already flapping about how good of a pick he was. That’s actually reminiscent of how Richard Sherman arrived in the league. Many people didn’t think much of Sherman even though his body size/type was text book for an elite press CB.

I’m not saying we have the next Sherman here and I’ll admit I HATED the Austin pick. But of this kid can stay healthy (big if) he has the measurables and mindset to do it. Ahhh to dream.

To be fair there were some really bad picks as well.  David Harris was the only second rounder who did anything during Tanny's tenure.  The only years he nailed it was when he took D'Brick and Mangold and then Revis in the first round.  Gholston, Anthony Schlegel, Vlad Ducasse, Stephen Hill, Kyle Wilson and on and on.  Herndon, Jenkins (despite what the moron from the NY Post thinks) and Robby Anderson are decent guys we got in later rounds (and later).  I AM NOT DEFENDING MAC HERE!  I'm just saying the bottom line is let's hope Douglas consistently drafts well through all rounds.  We need to do better.

I think the biggest change I’d like to see is the apparent plan. Macc did ok at times and terrible others. Overall not good enough but the thing that most annoyed this macc supporter was I could never figure out what the plan was other than to try and stock pile BPA and give talent to the coaches. his BPA was also a big problem and that didn’t help but there has to be an actual plan to building the team.

Douglas will undoubtedly pick some serious clams in the draft. It’s bound to happen but if he has a plan and chooses players to fit into that plan we have a better chance at success. I will be happy if we can see what the plan is and how it starts to take shape.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Blessaun arrived in Florham park with his jaw already flapping about how good of a pick he was. That’s actually reminiscent of how Richard Sherman arrived in the league. Many people didn’t think much of Sherman even though his body size/type was text book for an elite press CB.

I’m not saying we have the next Sherman here and I’ll admit I HATED the Austin pick. But of this kid can stay healthy (big if) he has the measurables and mindset to do it. Ahhh to dream.

How can you hate a 7th round pick?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

More than half this board consistently spewed hatred toward Scotty McKnight.  Besides, Blessaun Austin was a 6th round pick.  If you can't hate a 6th round pick, you can turn in your Jets fan card and log off the site now because we basically exist for sole purpose of hating one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

More than half this board consistently spewed hatred toward Scotty McKnight.  Besides, Blessaun Austin was a 6th round pick.  If you can't hate a 6th round pick, you can turn in your Jets fan card and log off the site now because we basically exist for sole purpose of hating one. 

6th and 7th round picks are a crap shoot that youre hoping for the best.  Taking a chance with someone who some had said was 1st like talent in the 6th,  pick that historically doesnt account for much is ok with me.  

I do get the auto hate button that is hit too often, LOL

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Come on man.  lol 

Besides it was a 6th.  We gave our 7th to the Vikes to move up one spot and grab Chuma when we thought everyone else wanted him too or something.  Did you hear the story about the Vikings having a deal to move down for two 6ths with Baltimore right before the Jets called?   When Macc called, Spielman he said hold on, called Baltimore to see if the deal for 2 6ths would still be on if they moved one spot down. Baltimore said yes and the Vikings grabbed our 7th to move down one spot. Then they moved down about 10 more to grab the two 6ths. Not bad.  Macc unfortunately bid against himself there. We could have kept our 7th if we just waited till the next pick. Who knows?  Maybe Baltimore wanted Edoga and we were right to pull the trigger. 

And I wanted a damn OL man.  I forget if Ross Pierschbacher was still on the board at that point, but there was someone there I still liked.  Either way it was just rough to watch us take a guy with two season ending Knee surgeries with our last pick. That's why I hated it.  Oh... and I can hate anything. :) 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hey, we just gave up Lee for a 6th.   People seem to forget the days of 12 rd drafts(even more before that)  when a 6th or 7th rd pick was just a mid rounder. What was that 12th rd pick CB that was the MVP of the SuperBowl when Odonell threw two picks right to him?  Larry Brown maybe?  Those later rd guys have a lot of developmental value. 

Truth is I didn't see Dortch Making it to UDFA and I would have rather had him than Austin's knee surgeries. We talked a little bit about Dortch prior to the draft. Hindsight proves otherwise in that instance.   There were a few guys I liked still hanging around though.  I'm rooting for Austin to be a big steal of course, but that's certainly not who I would have taken there. 

On 6/30/2019 at 4:31 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Herndon and Anderson should have his trust more than Burnette. I understand you bleed red and gold but c’mon. Burnette needs to break into the starting lineup to elevate him so. Nice development player but has a way to go before he gets consistent snaps

What FI said:

On 6/30/2019 at 1:44 PM, Fantasy Island said:

II hope Burnett gets a chance.  I like Sam having a WR he is really familiar with.

Cardinal and Gold.

Tay does not have to be the #1 WR, or #2 or even the #3 to have value, but he does have a special connection with Sam.  Which WR had the best game versus NE, as limited as his time was?  

What I meant by trust and chemistry is Sam trusted Tay enough to go off script in one of Sam’s most celebrated plays in college.  Again, not a designed play, Tay broke his route when he saw grass in the end zone, Sam saw him break off, and trusted Tay to make the play.  Sam gave Tay full credit for this play.

Not saying chemistry won’t develop between his Jets WRs and TEs, but don’t minimize the relationship between Sam and Tay, or it’s value.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

What FI said:

Cardinal and Gold.

Tay does not have to be the #1 WR, or #2 or even the #3 to have value, but he does have a special connection with Sam.  Which WR had the best game versus NE, as limited as his time was?  

What I meant by trust and chemistry is Sam trusted Tay enough to go off script in one of Sam’s most celebrated plays in college.  Again, not a designed play, Tay broke his route when he saw grass in the end zone, Sam saw him break off, and trusted Tay to make the play.  Sam gave Tay full credit for this play.

Not saying chemistry won’t develop between his Jets WRs and TEs, but don’t minimize the relationship between Sam and Tay, or it’s value.

Listen, we’re all pulling for Sam and this offense to flourish in season 2. He will need multiple players to step up... I hope Burnett is one of them. Nothing would make me happier than an UDFA become a big time contributor for years to come

13 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Come on man.  lol 

Besides it was a 6th.  We gave our 7th to the Vikes to move up one spot and grab Chuma when we thought everyone else wanted him too or something.  Did you hear the story about the Vikings having a deal to move down for two 6ths with Baltimore right before the Jets called?   When Macc called, Spielman he said hold on, called Baltimore to see if the deal for 2 6ths would still be on if they moved one spot down. Baltimore said yes and the Vikings grabbed our 7th to move down one spot. Then they moved down about 10 more to grab the two 6ths. Not bad.  Macc unfortunately bid against himself there. We could have kept our 7th if we just waited till the next pick. Who knows?  Maybe Baltimore wanted Edoga and we were right to pull the trigger. 

And I wanted a damn OL man.  I forget if Ross Pierschbacher was still on the board at that point, but there was someone there I still liked.  Either way it was just rough to watch us take a guy with two season ending Knee surgeries with our last pick. That's why I hated it.  Oh... and I can hate anything. :) 

Heres my point, again.

6th round picks hardly even make their teams roster.  Hes supposed 1st talent with a bad injury in his past.  Do you know he cant come back or better yet, whats the bigger long shot, that a 6th makes the team or that his knee is fixed and he contributes like a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round talent?  

We werent dealing at that time.  Just as, to me, there wasnt anyone at that spot that I just had to have.

Sometimes you take a shot, especially we have no idea what they thought of the rest of the scrub that were available at that pick.  No one said throw the pick away, draft someone who will definitely never see the field.  Anyone at 6 is a risk to never see the field.  

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Heres my point, again.

6th round picks hardly even make their teams roster.  Hes supposed 1st talent with a bad injury in his past.  Do you know he cant come back or better yet, whats the bigger long shot, that a 6th makes the team or that his knee is fixed and he contributes like a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round talent?  

We werent dealing at that time.  Just as, to me, there wasnt anyone at that spot that I just had to have.

Sometimes you take a shot, especially we have no idea what they thought of the rest of the scrub that were available at that pick.  No one said throw the pick away, draft someone who will definitely never see the field.  Anyone at 6 is a risk to never see the field.  

I predict at least two players that were available at that pick make the Jets roster at some point in 2019.

I am okay with the pick, but there was plenty of talent available.  There was a study posted on here at some point about how the bulk of successful picks beyond the 3rd were either injury risks or from small schools.  I think Maccagnan was lurking here and read that and took it to heart because he sure embraced the philosophy.

19 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Come on man.  lol 

Piersbacher was gone before the Cashman pick.  You can look at it as the guy being made of glass, but it it was the same knee and they vetted his medical it may end up being a good selection.   

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh, well that settles it then. Hall of gamers... all of them.

Well, no.  There are guys on every team who are 'hidden talent'.  Brady is the most obvious.  Guys like Phillip Lindsay an UDFA came out of nowhere last year to be terrific for the Broncos and Adam Thielen was 'hidden' on the Vikings for two years before he broke out.  Bilal Powell did nothing his first year on the Jets and became a very reliable back.

• Sympathy 1

On 6/30/2019 at 9:16 PM, BettyBoop said:

With 'only' 3+ weeks to the start of training camp the topics on this site (and most sites) become more and more lame.  Seriously, do we really want to tear apart the second half of games played in the '90's?!  There's just not much to talk about.  Let's make some stuff up!  Do you think we have any hidden gems on this team?  Might we find some from other teams.  Here's some possibilities;

• Derrick Jones - This guy just looks like a player.  He has the size and speed to succeed at cornerback.  And the little (inexcusably little!) that Bowles used him he didn't seem lost.  In fact, he looked pretty good at times.  I would love to see this guy get a shot at playing time this year.  That is not to suggest Dase rely on him to play significant minutes but he does deserve a chance.
  • Deontay Burnett - In the Pats and Bears games last year Burnett caught all nine passes thrown his way for a 14.9 average.  While I think some make too much out of the 'chemistry' he has with Darnold based on the fact that they played together at USC, Burnett did show a bit late last year.  He has decent size and may have a future as a WR3.
  • Frankie Luvu - Did anyone expect anything from this guy last year?  I sure didn't.  He looks like a Greg Williams kind of guy, no?  I love his intensity and Williams may too.  If he becomes a backup situational pass rusher he would be a real find.
  • Blessuan Austin - This guy really looks like a player.  Is that all?  Who knows, but when he was healthy he was a player.  We can argue whether or not he was worth a sixth round pick but I don't mind a guy with his natural size and talent getting a redshirt year.
  • Greg Dortch - gets double teamed while being the only viable threat on his team yet catches everything thrown his way.  Lightning in a bottle?  I think most Jets fans will be rooting hard for this guy.

Some intriguing stories here.  Feel free to list others.

On offense the rookie Trevon Wesco and on defense 2nd year player Parry Nickerson. 

I was very impressed with Nickerson and he flashed some last year, especially in werk 1 vs the Lions. He had an INT in that game that was missed by the refs

• Sympathy 1

Heres my point, again.

What’s this “again” stuff? You didn’t make a point to me. You just asked how I could hate a 7th rd pick. Not sure what you’re getting at there.

And it doesn’t really matter to me that you didn’t like anyone else at that spot. There were guys there I liked more( Derwin gray, kelvin harmon, Demarcus christmas and greg dortch to name a few) so I hated the pick. That’s what you asked and I explained light heartedly. I’m Still rooting for him as much as anyone on our team to make it.

I don’t see 6th rd picks as throw away and while they obviously have less of a chance to make it than a 1st, good orgs seem to get value in the later rds consistently. That’s what I hope for every year and what I’m hoping the Douglas regime brings to our reality. It would be amazing to actually get quality players in the later rds. Could you imagine what that would be like? Oh man!! Now we’re talking.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

On offense the rookie Trevon Wesco and on defense 2nd year player Parry Nickerson. 

I was very impressed with Nickerson and he flashed some last year, especially in werk 1 vs the Lions. He had an INT in that game that was missed by the refs

He played a grand total of 3 snaps on D in that game and he got  a taunting penalty after tackling the running back.  He made a great play on the ball you are talking about, but it was just Stafford trying to throw it away and not getting it deep enough.  Bowles and Brandon Copeland deserved the credit on that play.

Piersbacher was gone before the Cashman pick.  You can look at it as the guy being made of glass, but it it was the same knee and they vetted his medical it may end up being a good selection.   

That’s the hope.

Yeah. I’m just a bit jumbled on which guys like liked and who was left in each round at this point. I liked Derwin gray somewhat and Demarcus Christmas was someone I had my eye on.
I would always be concerned with injury history. We’ve been burned a couple of times i. The last few years. Mcdougle and milliner come to mind. I’m sure they checked him out and felt ok but we checked out milliner too and we all know hie that turned out. I’m certainly rooting for the guy but there were other guys I wound have taken there and the consistent injury thing would have spooked me too much.

It’s why I was praying bosa didn’t fall to us. I could see that one blowing up in our faces for sure.

You nailed it for me. Wesco is our secret jewel in the rough. He has the potential to be much more impactful than people even realize. I think Gase saw it quickly and let go of sterling and legget in response. I look for wesco to have a big year. Both blocking and a series of well timed 3rd down receptions.

Nickerson is someone I’m high on and have said so numerous times. I like that guy and I’d like to see what he and the rest of our group of young DB’s have in them. It would just be awesome if our next starting number 2 CB was already on the team.

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

You nailed it for me. Wesco is our secret jewel in the rough. He has the potential to be much more impactful than people even realize. I think Gase saw it quickly and let go of sterling and legget in response. I look for wesco to have a big year. Both blocking and a series of well timed 3rd down receptions.

Nickerson is someone I’m high on and have said so numerous times. I like that guy and I’d like to see what he and the rest of our group of young DB’s have in them. It would just be awesome if our next starting number 2 CB was already on the team.

I'm big on Wesco. I think the first time he carries three goes on his back for a first down he will become a crowd favorite.

I have hope for Nickerson albeit as a nickel corner rather than a CB2.  

8 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Well, no.  There are guys on every team who are 'hidden talent'.  Brady is the most obvious.  Guys like Phillip Lindsay an UDFA came out of nowhere last year to be terrific for the Broncos and Adam Thielen was 'hidden' on the Vikings for two years before he broke out.  Bilal Powell did nothing his first year on the Jets and became a very reliable back.

Hidden. You keep using that word. I don’t think it means quite what you think it does.

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

And it doesn’t really matter to me that you didn’t like anyone else at that spot. There were guys there I liked more( Derwin gray, kelvin harmon, Demarcus christmas and greg dortch to name a few) so I hated the pick. That’s what you asked and I explained light heartedly. I’m Still rooting for him as much as anyone on our team to make it.

Well that sums it up.  You asked why I said what I said but it doesnt matter.  All that matter is that YOU liked some scrub like the trash you listed more than I like the chances of a knee healing.  

Nothing more to say really.  ?

On 6/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, BettyBoop said:

With 'only' 3+ weeks to the start of training camp the topics on this site (and most sites) become more and more lame.  Seriously, do we really want to tear apart the second half of games played in the '90's?!  There's just not much to talk about.  Let's make some stuff up!  Do you think we have any hidden gems on this team?  Might we find some from other teams.  Here's some possibilities;

• Derrick Jones - This guy just looks like a player.  He has the size and speed to succeed at cornerback.  And the little (inexcusably little!) that Bowles used him he didn't seem lost.  In fact, he looked pretty good at times.  I would love to see this guy get a shot at playing time this year.  That is not to suggest Dase rely on him to play significant minutes but he does deserve a chance.
  • Deontay Burnett - In the Pats and Bears games last year Burnett caught all nine passes thrown his way for a 14.9 average.  While I think some make too much out of the 'chemistry' he has with Darnold based on the fact that they played together at USC, Burnett did show a bit late last year.  He has decent size and may have a future as a WR3.
  • Frankie Luvu - Did anyone expect anything from this guy last year?  I sure didn't.  He looks like a Greg Williams kind of guy, no?  I love his intensity and Williams may too.  If he becomes a backup situational pass rusher he would be a real find.
  • Blessuan Austin - This guy really looks like a player.  Is that all?  Who knows, but when he was healthy he was a player.  We can argue whether or not he was worth a sixth round pick but I don't mind a guy with his natural size and talent getting a redshirt year.
  • Greg Dortch - gets double teamed while being the only viable threat on his team yet catches everything thrown his way.  Lightning in a bottle?  I think most Jets fans will be rooting hard for this guy.

Some intriguing stories here.  Feel free to list others.

Players that interest me:

Jeremy Clark:  He was an interesting guy that showed a ton of promise on the field, and if he's healthy, I think he can become at least a rotational player.  He was left alone on an island at Michigan, and Williams likes to leave his corners in one on one match ups.  Much like Austin, I think a healthy Clark had 2nd round talent IMO, so if he's healed, definitely some upside here based just on his play on the field.  

Derrick Jones is very interesting because of his size, but I would need to see his mechanics as a CB because he was extremely raw.   

Parry Nickerson has a ton of potential, and kind of reminds me of a defensive Robby Anderson.  A ton of talent, but comes off very immature on the field.  I think he makes the team based on talent alone, but he would need to grow up.  

Greg Dortch is the one that is a big sleeper IMO for the receivers, because he fits very well into what the Jets offense would want to do.  By having receiving threats at RB, and deep threats in Anderson (albeit Crowder and Enunwa could also qualify as speedsters) would mean the defense would have to pick and choose.  They would have to commit to being closer to the line of scrimmage, or play back.  If they play back, short routes with guys like Crowder or Dortch will thrive.  If they play up, then the deep game opens up with his speed.  

Deontay Burnett is interesting because he seems like a reliable receiver.  In the pre-season with the Titans, he had 11 catches on 11 targets, and he was a surprise cut.  I'd like to see if his speed is back, because he didn't seem all that fast on the field.  I didn't think he was a 4.3 guy in college, but he certainly was faster than the 4.7 guy that ran the 40 and looked like he had trouble going down the field.  However, he seems to know how to get open and get catches.  

Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Bellamy are a lock to the roster.  So it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the crop forms, especially considering guys like Peake and Henderson can contribute on ST.  

• Sympathy 1

Jones definitely passed Clark on the depth chart in 2018.  Clark was healthy enough to get some snaps in 2017 (all special teams) but even then he got less run than Jones.  Jones was ahead of him from preseason on and Clark should have been healthy.  Of course it is a new staff, so that might not mean much anymore.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:12 PM, HelenOfTroy said:

What FI said:

Cardinal and Gold.

That was the game and throw that made me really want Darnold. Never in a million years did I think we would get him.

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

He played a grand total of 3 snaps on D in that game and he got  a taunting penalty after tackling the running back.  He made a great play on the ball you are talking about, but it was just Stafford trying to throw it away and not getting it deep enough.  Bowles and Brandon Copeland deserved the credit on that play.

They deserve credit for that play that he made by breaking off of the route of the receiver he was defending, chasing down the overthrow, high pointing the ball, toe tapping the sideline while body twisting?

On his grand total of three snaps he made a tackle and a fantastic "effort" play that was a centimeter away from counting and taking points off the board from the lions.

That would be considered flashing.