C.J. Mosley's younger brother Jamey aiming to make the most of his NFL opportunity

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/06/jamey-mosley-aiming-to-make-the-most-of-his-nfl-opportunity.html

Jamey Mosley aiming to make the most of his NFL opportunity

FVE3FUJTP5CS3OXEGGCFZOZDW4.jpg

In March, C.J. Mosley joined the New York Jets after signing a five-year, $85 million contract -- the most lucrative in NFL history for an inside linebacker.

In April, Jamey Mosley joined the Jets after signing as an undrafted rookie.

After following his older brother through the football programs at Theodore High School and Alabama, Jamey Mosley has followed C.J. Mosley into the NFL.

Before Jamey Mosley got to the Bobcats and the Crimson Tide, C.J. Mosley had been a two-time All-State selection and the Class 6A Lineman of the Year at Theodore and a two-time consensus All-American and the Butkus Award winner as the nation's best linebacker at Alabama.

Jamey Mosley did not achieve those honors during his prep and college careers. But he does not feel overshadowed by his brother's accomplishments.

"I think it's all about perspective, you know what I mean?" Jamey Mosley said. "What's your perspective? If your perspective is negative toward it, if you feel like, 'Oh man, I'm always in my brother's shadow. He's always this' -- I've never seen it that way. I used to not understand when people would be like, 'Oh man why're you turning down scholarships to go to Alabama and your brother just had all this success?' But I never saw it as a negative. I always saw it as a goal to reach or a goal to surpass.

"It's all about perspective. He's always been one of my biggest heroes. He's one of the reasons I wanted to start playing football because I saw him playing football when I was a kid. It's all about perspective. He has achieved every goal imaginable, so seeing that just shows me and gives me hope that I can do it, and not only me, but kids that are younger can do the same things that we're doing and maybe even better."

While the Mosley brothers traveled the same path to reach the Jets, this is the first time that they've been teammates.

"We've never played with each other," Jamey Mosley said. "We always missed each other by a year, so it's a pretty cool thing to see it play out like that."

Mosley got his first experience as an NFL player in the Jets' offseason program. He reports to training camp on July 19 with the rest of New York's rookies.

"I felt really, really good about it," Mosley said of his offseason work. "It was a tremendous opportunity, like I said. Not a lot of people get to get to that. I think there's a stat that like the high school seniors that graduated this year, only 0.47 percent of them will play in the NFL. Every time I sit down in that seat, it just brings me back to life, like, 'Man, I have a tremendous opportunity in front of me,' and I just try to live in the moment. I don't try to think too far ahead. But it was fun. I look forward to competing coming up this next training camp."

The Jets' offseason roster has 90 players. The regular-season roster will have only 53.

"One thing about the NFL is it's a production business, whether it be from the coaching staff to the head office to the players," Mosley said. "It's a production business, so every day you have to come in with your hard hat on ready to work, and that's something I've been doing my whole entire life.

"I'm just looking forward to the opportunity. I'm just blessed to even be in this position, to be able to even have a seat in the best organization in sports. It's just a tremendous opportunity, and I look forward to seizing that opportunity and competing at my best level."

When Mosley left Theodore, he chose to walk-on at Alabama. After a redshirt season and not playing as a freshman, he earned a scholarship as a sophomore. He's got a similar uphill climb ahead of him with the Jets.

"I've seen him go through the whole process," C.J. Mosley said, "actually start from the bottom literally as a walk-on, getting a scholarship, then getting on the field. Now he's an undrafted free agent with the Jets, so now he's starting pretty much all over, trying to work his way back up and make the 53-man roster. …

"All the hard work he put in, all the blood, sweat and tears, it's a long couple of years, but I'm happy it paid off him. He's got one more step to go."

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Jason McCourty didn't do sh*t before ending up with his brother in New England. He was their #2 CB last year.

I mean I guess, 

I think comparing the Mosley brothers to the McCourty brothers might be a little bit of a stretch. 

I am pretty sure they are identical twin brothers...