Quintessential Coney Island Experience

When me and my younger brother were kids (maybe 6 and 5) we got lost on the boardwalk, got separated from my parents and other sibs. They turned right to the parking lot and we kept going straight. Back in the 1960s.

Police put us in a cruiser and blared over the loudspeaker till my Dad rushed back to grab us. 

Not as good as your story. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Someone needs to bring up the Cyclone, Gargiulo's, Nathans, the Riveria and Sea Gate to truly discuss the Coney Island Experience 

Some cousins from Connecticut went yesterday, which is what caused me to recount the above story.  It sounded like Disney.  I don't know what happened to the Freak Shows, both literal and figurative.  No "Shoot the Freak" paintball, no "See the Crackhead for $1"  They stayed until 9:00 pm and nobody got stabbed.  WTF?  

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Someone needs to bring up the Cyclone, Gargiulo's, Nathans, the Riveria and Sea Gate to truly discuss the Coney Island Experience 

How about the f*cking nightmare called the Steeplechase?

It closed in 1964 so I'm guessing I was 5 when my Dad took me on that totally rickety freaking scary horse ride on rusty rails.  No seat belts or anything, just hold on for dear life.

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

How about the f*cking nightmare called the Steeplechase?

It closed in 1964 so I'm guessing I was 5 when my Dad took me on that totally rickety freaking scary horse ride on rusty rails.  No seat belts or anything, just hold on for dear life.

Pretty sure The Mouse at Playland drove off the tracks. This thread works for that place too.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Wait, wasn't there a Mouse Ride at the amusement park on Route 110? AdventureLand?

That ride scared the crap out of me too.  

Rye Playland in NY. Multiple deaths there over the years. Dragon Coaster was built before electricity.

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Rye Playland in NY. Multiple deaths there over the years. Dragon Coaster was built before electricity.

Rye Playland has always felt like an amusement park in purgatory that you get stuck in if you died as a child. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not at that level yet. Training for two half marathons, but still slow af. Doing one in Joshua Tree in November and then Connemara next April. 

You don't need to be at any level to do nyrr events.  There's every ability level out there.  I just did a 4M in Central Park, and a woman in a burka was in it.  There's still room in the Harlem 5K in August that I'm running, you should check it out.

That's really awesome though.  I thought about starting a JN running thread, would love to talk training, but figured that would be as big of a hit as going to JN for fashion advice.

• Upvote 1