Klecko 2020?

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Hall of Fame Class of 2020 tentatively set to include 20 inductees

Posted by Charean Williams on July 1, 2019, 10:00 PM EDT

gettyimages-1046107790-e1562032798312.jp
Getty Images

“It is extremely elite company, and it’s not the Hall of very, very good. It’s the Hall of Fame, and so it should be difficult to make it,” Baker said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “But there’s a lot of guys through the years [who have slipped through the cracks]. We have several guys who are on all-decade teams who aren’t in the Hall of Fame, so this is an opportunity with the Centennial coming up. What we’ve looked at potentially and has been approved, at least in concept, by our operating board . . . is that potentially we would have 20 Hall of Famers enshrined for the year 2020.

I don't really know what the reasoning is for Klecko to not be in the Hall, but he isn't on any of the All decade teams. That will not help him unfortunately.  It looks like most of the guys from the 70's and 80's are already in there outside of a few. If those guys all get in, it would seem warranted.  Getting 20 1/2 sacks in one season and being named to the Pro Bowl at 3 different positions should do it for Klecko but it hasn't obviously. This 2020 class just may be his best shot. We should try to get some sort of momentum going for him. How can we do that? Any thoughts  @Maxman ???  How about @T0mShane  ?   I'm in if there's something we can do. 

PS. Another one I thought would be a sure thing for the HOF was Pat Leahy. He was  3rd on the NFL all time scoring list when he retired in 1992.  He is 25th now I believe.  Every year or so he gets lower as other guys continue to score more points.  We better hurry. :) 

I think his career warrants the HOF. 

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Joe Klecko not being in the Hall of Fame is ridiculous. There is no Sack exchange without Kleckos dominant play. Gastineau owes his fame to Klecko. He allowed Mark to just pin his ears back & attack. Klecko use to tell stories of him & the rest of his teammates reminding Mark to check the run.

The only guy who really matters in this conversation was one of the most dominant Offensive lineman to ever play the game, John Hannah. 

Hannah named Klecko as one of his toughest opponents to block & said his strength & relentlessness was unmatched. 

The NFL should just seek out Hannah, ask him the question, should Joe Klecko be in the Hall of Fame?

Hannah: ABSOLUTELY 

DONE!

No doubt Joe was the better all around player then Mark and I think he should be in.. Weird Mark has 5 Pro Bowls and 3  All Pro's to Joe's 4 Pro Bowls and 2 All pro honors but Joe excelled at 3 different positions.. The 1st team All Decade players at DE in the 80's was Howie Long and Reggie White backed up by Bruce Smith and Leroy Selman..

• Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Joe Klecko not being in the Hall of Fame is ridiculous. There is no Sack exchange without Kleckos dominant play. Gastineau owes his fame to Klecko. He allowed Mark to just pin his ears back & attack. Klecko use to tell stories of him & the rest of his teammates reminding Mark to check the run.

The only guy who really matters in this conversation was one of the most dominant Offensive lineman to ever play the game, John Hannah. 

Hannah named Klecko as one of his toughest opponents to block & said his strength & relentlessness was unmatched. 

The NFL should just seek out Hannah, ask him the question, should Joe Klecko be in the Hall of Fame?

Hannah: ABSOLUTELY 

DONE!

HOF Offensive lineman, Joe Dellamalliere lives here in Charlotte and I consider him a friend.  He absolutely stated to me in a  conversation that Joe was as tough a Defensive lineman as anyone he ever faced.  He stated, "Ive faced them all, Mean Joe, Alan Page etc and Klecko was as dominant as any of them".  EDIT WOW!!!   I found this!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Of course he belongs. He and Gastineau gave edge rushers the attention and status they deserve.

Some will say he isnt in because he was in trouble with the law. If thats the case why is OJ still in?

The Hall of Fame's bylaws stipulate that only a player's on-field achievements in football are considered as the criteria for enshrinement.

• Upvote 1

Not only was Joe Klecko a dominant player in the NFL but he is the definition of a stand up guy! I watched his whole career and he will always be my favorite Jet, There is no player in Jet history I enjoyed watching more than him.  Laugh if you like but I would get as much satisfaction from his being inducted into Canton as I would in the Jets winning the Super Bowl again. 

Klecko.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Joe went to prison for a short time on a stupid insurance fraud case where he lied for a friend.

Think that is the reason these bozos are keeping him out

I loved Klecko and he was a great player, but the minimizing the insurance fraud is a bit much for me.  Especially considering the way everybody, particularly Klecko, sh*t on Gastineau for all his troubles while Klecko was a "stand up guy."  It was a $5M racketeering deal where adjusters from Travelers and some auto body shops filed false claims of paint damage to go after a refinery.  Klecko lied and said his truck was damaged from the emissions and needed to be repainted.  Then he repeated it, under oath, in front of a grand jury.  For what?  For $3500?  Cause a friend who was defrauding an insurance company needed another $3500?  

26 minutes ago, Madmertz said:

Not only was Joe Klecko a dominant player in the NFL but he is the definition of a stand up guy! I watched his whole career and he will always be my favorite Jet, There is no player in Jet history I enjoyed watching more than him.  Laugh if you like but I would get as much satisfaction from his being inducted into Canton as I would in the Jets winning the Super Bowl again. 

Klecko.jpg

btw, i remember a jets colts game at shea, we were in the EZ, about 20 rows from the field...

he blocked a punt...  the thud of the ball hittig his hand...  man. that was cool. i was, what?

12 y/o? THANKS JOE!

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Joe went to prison for a short time on a stupid insurance fraud case where he lied for a friend.

Think that is the reason these bozos are keeping him out

First off, I believe he should be in the HOF.  With that being said, outside of the NY Area, very few people remember him.

He wasn't in the national spotlight in a time prior to the internet era.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Nothing in that article leads me to believe Joe gets in.  Snub of a lifetime fallen on a man worthy of the HOF.

73 is a HOF player in our eyes.

Used that headline because they're saying that instead of the usual maximum of eight inductees, they'll be upping it to 20 in 2020. With 12 extra slots next year, it might be his best shot to finally get his due. 

3 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

20190531_082451.thumb.jpg.6d5a6bbb9bc32f22f1de41463c474744.jpg

"...works as a truck broker near Philadelphia during the off-season..." 

Way different time. I remember a feature on him one week at Shea with a picture of him in a truck, talking about his off-season job. I get the insurance fraud thing being a deterrent to letting him in, but I could also see forgiving it. It's not like anyone is rushing to remove O.J. from the Hall. He's in there because of his accomplishments on the field, they tell us, just like Klecko should be.  

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, slats said:

Used that headline because they're saying that instead of the usual maximum of eight inductees, they'll be upping it to 20 in 2020. With 12 extra slots next year, it might be his best shot to finally get his due. 

"...works as a truck broker near Philadelphia during the off-season..." 

Way different time. I remember a feature on him one week at Shea with a picture of him in a truck, talking about his off-season job. I get the insurance fraud thing being a deterrent to letting him in, but I could also see forgiving it. It's not like anyone is rushing to remove O.J. from the Hall. He's in there because of his accomplishments on the field, they tell us, just like Klecko should be.  

Yeah, Concrete Charlie wasn't hard as concrete.  He sold concrete in the off-season.  Klecko having a trucking company probably related to his jail time.  They may have filed claims on a ton of his trucks.  Don't think that should keep him out of the Hall.  Half these guys do worse while they are playing. 

6'3" 256?  What a different world.  That's a lanky OLB now, not a nose. 

14 hours ago, slats said:

Hall of Fame Class of 2020 tentatively set to include 20 inductees

Posted by Charean Williams on July 1, 2019, 10:00 PM EDT

gettyimages-1046107790-e1562032798312.jp
Getty Images

It already was known that the Pro Football Hall of Fame would have a Centennial Class for 2020. What wasn’t known was how many.

As it stands now, the maximum number of inductees in a year is eight. In conjunction with the NFL’s 100th anniversary celebration, the Pro Football Hall of Fame tentatively has approved a class of 20 for next year, Hall of Fame president and CEO David Baker revealed Monday.

It would allow players, coaches and contributors who have fallen through the cracks a spot in Canton.

The operating board has approved five modern-era candidates — the same as normal — plus 10 seniors, three contributors and two coaches for the Class of 2020. The full board still must approve the plan during their meeting Aug. 2.

“It is extremely elite company, and it’s not the Hall of very, very good. It’s the Hall of Fame, and so it should be difficult to make it,” Baker said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “But there’s a lot of guys through the years [who have slipped through the cracks]. We have several guys who are on all-decade teams who aren’t in the Hall of Fame, so this is an opportunity with the Centennial coming up. What we’ve looked at potentially and has been approved, at least in concept, by our operating board . . . is that potentially we would have 20 Hall of Famers enshrined for the year 2020.

“This year we have eight, so this would be quite a few guys, but it would be the five normal modern-era players elected from 15 finalists and then 10 seniors, three contributors and two [coaches]. But again, I want to stress that that’s got to be something that’s passed by our board on Friday, Aug. 2.”

The seven first-team all-decade players in the senior pool would have their best shot at earning election. Only one of those, former Cowboys safety Cliff Harris, has ever made it on the list of finalists, according to Rick Gosselin of the Talk of Fame.

Former coach Don Coryell, a finalist for six consecutive years, also likely would have a great chance at finally earning his due.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame currently has 318 Hall of Famers.

If Klecko does not get in now , there should be HELL TO PAY  !!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

There is no Sack exchange without Kleckos dominant play. Gastineau owes his fame to Klecko. 

Joe Klecko made the most of the physical gifts he was given

Mark Gastineau was given world class physical gifts 

there's a difference

54 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

How do you call yourself a Jet fan ?

I'm an objective Jets fan.

Joe Klecko deserves a place in the NY Jets Ring Of Honor and everywhere else that the team can shower him with complements as he was an outstanding player.

But among the Hall of Famers that he is up against from that era, he is not on par.  His biggest benefit-  the ability to play so many positions-  means he did not dominate at any one of them and thus his being passed over as much as he has.  Klecko was not even the most impactful/dominant/historic player on his own DL at the time he played his best football, that's another issue.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 5
  • Haha 1