31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

His biggest benefit-  the ability to play so many positions-  means he did not dominate at any one of them and thus his being passed over as much as he has.  Klecko was not even the most impactful/dominant/historic player on his own DL at the time he played his best football, that's another issue.

SAR I

Have to disagree, this is wrong.  He dominated at all 3 spots, thats why he made the pro bowl at all 3. 

Ask OL who lined up against him and DL who appreciated what he did.  All you need to hear.  

He's a HOF player

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If he was a Steeler, Cowboys, Giant etc he’d already be in the hall. 

Joe Klecko should be in the hall of fame 100%. Maybe he didn't get the big headlines that some of these sack artists get and his career was cut short because of injuries but he was as dominant a defen

How is Air Coryell not in the HOF.  An offense was named after him for crissakes. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, slats said:

Used that headline because they're saying that instead of the usual maximum of eight inductees, they'll be upping it to 20 in 2020. With 12 extra slots next year, it might be his best shot to finally get his due. 

"...works as a truck broker near Philadelphia during the off-season..." 

Way different time. I remember a feature on him one week at Shea with a picture of him in a truck, talking about his off-season job. I get the insurance fraud thing being a deterrent to letting him in, but I could also see forgiving it. It's not like anyone is rushing to remove O.J. from the Hall. He's in there because of his accomplishments on the field, they tell us, just like Klecko should be.  

fullsizeoutput_7e7.thumb.jpeg.c78ff788a6c899b1d82f79b87b679ded.jpeg

I believe this is one of the banners above the entrance to seats , taken from my  Gameday magazine.

fullsizeoutput_7ea.thumb.jpeg.b659f0dbe29bcf2ca6006b4c006f5651.jpeg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'm an objective Jets fan.

Joe Klecko deserves a place in the NY Jets Ring Of Honor and everywhere else that the team can shower him with complements as he was an outstanding player.

But among the Hall of Famers that he is up against from that era, he is not on par.  His biggest benefit-  the ability to play so many positions-  means he did not dominate at any one of them and thus his being passed over as much as he has.  Klecko was not even the most impactful/dominant/historic player on his own DL at the time he played his best football, that's another issue.

SAR I

You should find another hobby other than posting on here. You obviously know nothing about football. Good thing you can boast about all your money, your great seats, and your vacations. I just feel sorry for anyone who spends money to sit next to you. Here is some advice for you.....Tis better to remain silent and be thought the fool then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt!

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2
20 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I don't really know what the reasoning is for Klecko to not be in the Hall, but he isn't on any of the All decade teams. That will not help him unfortunately.  It looks like most of the guys from the 70's and 80's are already in there outside of a few. If those guys all get in, it would seem warranted.  Getting 20 1/2 sacks in one season and being named to the Pro Bowl at 3 different positions should do it for Klecko but it hasn't obviously. This 2020 class just may be his best shot. We should try to get some sort of momentum going for him. How can we do that? Any thoughts  @Maxman ???  How about @T0mShane  ?   I'm in if there's something we can do. 

PS. Another one I thought would be a sure thing for the HOF was Pat Leahy. He was  3rd on the NFL all time scoring list when he retired in 1992.  He is 25th now I believe.  Every year or so he gets lower as other guys continue to score more points.  We better hurry. :) 

I think his career warrants the HOF. 

Klecko should be a no-brainer.  I have no idea how he's not in. 

Pat Leahy though?  Come on.  Do kickers get in?  The only kicker who should be under consideration is Mark Moseley as he was the first (and will be the only!) kicker to ever win an NFL MVP.

Yes, as insane as it might sound, somehow a placekicker won NFL MVP in 1982.

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

HOF Offensive lineman, Joe Dellamalliere lives here in Charlotte and I consider him a friend.  He absolutely stated to me in a  conversation that Joe was as tough a Defensive lineman as anyone he ever faced.  He stated, "Ive faced them all, Mean Joe, Alan Page etc and Klecko was as dominant as any of them".  EDIT WOW!!!   I found this!!!

Probably not but I have to ask - has the subject of OJ Simpson ever come up between you and Joe Delamielleure?  Does he think he's guilty?

@southparkcpa I just went on Joe Delamielleure's wiki page.  His last year with the Bills was 1985 but I see he played for the Charlotte Rage (an Arena League team) in 1992.  Has he told any stories about that?  Was it due to needing money?  (assuming that's something he'd even share).  So strange that he went 7 years without playing.  

Also, what does he think of today's NFL?  I wonder if he thinks it's reminiscent of the Arena League.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Probably not but I have to ask - has the subject of OJ Simpson ever come up between you and Joe Delamielleure?  Does he think he's guilty?

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

@southparkcpa I just went on Joe Delamielleure's wiki page.  His last year with the Bills was 1985 but I see he played for the Charlotte Rage (an Arena League team) in 1992.  Has he told any stories about that?  Was it due to needing money?  (assuming that's something he'd even share).  So strange that he went 7 years without playing.  

Also, what does he think of today's NFL?  I wonder if he thinks it's reminiscent of the Arena League.

I met him at our local gym.  Had no idea who he was, this was 2002.  we became friends when I commented on his Bills T shirt.  I thought he was a fan.   he actually invited me to his HOF induction. I didn’t go. Should have.   Now that he is in HOF, he is not in Charlotte much.  he spends time in Buffalo doing appearances and such. Good for him. GREAT guy and I think he was financially challenged until the HOF but now he seems fine.  I don’t ask personal questions about OJ etc.  

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I met him at our local gym.  Had no idea who he was, this was 2002.  we became friends when I commented on his Bills T shirt.  I thought he was a fan.   he actually invited me to his HOF induction. I didn’t go. Should have.   Now that he is in HOF, he is not in Charlotte much.  he spends time in Buffalo doing appearances and such. Good for him. GREAT guy and I think he was financially challenged until the HOF but now he seems fine.  I don’t ask personal questions about OJ etc.  

You got invited to his HOF induction?!  That's amazing.  Too bad you didn't go.  Probably would've been quite an experience considering you actually know the guy.  He sounds like a very nice dude though.  Glad he's doing well financially now.  

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I don't really know what the reasoning is for Klecko to not be in the Hall, but he isn't on any of the All decade teams. That will not help him unfortunately.  It looks like most of the guys from the 70's and 80's are already in there outside of a few. If those guys all get in, it would seem warranted.  Getting 20 1/2 sacks in one season and being named to the Pro Bowl at 3 different positions should do it for Klecko but it hasn't obviously. This 2020 class just may be his best shot. We should try to get some sort of momentum going for him. How can we do that? Any thoughts  @Maxman ???  How about @T0mShane  ?   I'm in if there's something we can do. 

PS. Another one I thought would be a sure thing for the HOF was Pat Leahy. He was  3rd on the NFL all time scoring list when he retired in 1992.  He is 25th now I believe.  Every year or so he gets lower as other guys continue to score more points.  We better hurry. :) 

I think his career warrants the HOF. 

One thing that you didn't mention are other Hall of Fame players who are in the Hall of Fame who say that Joe Klecko deserves to be there.  John Hannah was an offensive guard on the New England Patriots who is in the Hall of Fame, and would be one of the great players if he played in todays game. The guy was dominant, and he says without reservation that Joe Klecko deserves to be in the Hall.  Hannah played for years against Klecko; I think he would be the best judge of if Klecko deserves to be in the Hall or not.

Although Howie Long was just an observer being on the defensive side of the ball, he says without question that Joe Klecko deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

I think these guys know more than the idiots that vote for the players for who goes to the Hall.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

You should find another hobby other than posting on here. You obviously know nothing about football. Good thing you can boast about all your money, your great seats, and your vacations. I just feel sorry for anyone who spends money to sit next to you. Here is some advice for you.....Tis better to remain silent and be thought the fool then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt!

Your username is disrespectful to women and I will not be speaking with you until it is changed. 

SAR I

• Haha 2
17 hours ago, bitonti said:

Joe Klecko made the most of the physical gifts he was given

Mark Gastineau was given world class physical gifts 

there's a difference

There is no doubt in my mind that Gastineau was a heavy juicer. Klecko was a brick layer with his father, and once bent a quarter between his fingers. 

When you have 22 & 1/2 sacks playing inside that is DOMINENT in an Aaron Donald way. I'm positive that if you asked Marty Lyons & Abdul Salaam who was the engine that drove the sack exchange they would say it was Klecko. 

Every time Klecko missed games when injured that line suffered badly. 

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Jetster said:

There is no doubt in my mind that Gastineau was a heavy juicer. Klecko was a brick layer with his father, and once bent a quarter between his fingers. 

When you have 22 & 1/2 sacks playing inside that is DOMINENT in an Aaron Donald way. I'm positive that if you asked Marty Lyons & Abdul Salaam who was the engine that drove the sack exchange they would say it was Klecko. 

Klecko had 21 sacks as DE in ‘81. He was in the running for DPOY. Paul Zimmerman from SI named him his DPOY when SI meant something. I remember that year vividly. He was completely dominant. He was tossing OL around like rag dolls. Klecko was the engine that made the Sack Exchange exchange go. He injured his knee in 82 and moved inside after that. He moved to NT in 85 when the Jets went to a 3-4 and made the Pro Bowl again.  Dwight Stephenson, Dolphins HOF center, also repeatedly says Klecko is a HOFer. So does Anthony Munoz. 

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Klecko should be a no-brainer.  I have no idea how he's not in. 

Pat Leahy though?  Come on.  Do kickers get in?  The only kicker who should be under consideration is Mark Moseley as he was the first (and will be the only!) kicker to ever win an NFL MVP.

Yes, as insane as it might sound, somehow a placekicker won NFL MVP in 1982.

lol. Kickers are people too man.   It's actually interesting. As I got stuck in that worm hole I learned many of the kickers who are on the NFL all time scoring list are not in the HOF.  I think that's odd. Kickers have one of the most high pressure jobs in the entire NFL.  Those guys are worth their weight in gold. 

Just the fact that so many are on the all time scoring list shows their value. They score more points than most offensive weapons we all value so much.  

Leahy was so solid for us for so long that we didn't even have to think about the K position in the first portion of my lifetime as a Jets fan.Leahy  was just a constant.  18 years if I IIRC. 

Remember this? 

10 hours ago, Alka said:

One thing that you didn't mention are other Hall of Fame players who are in the Hall of Fame who say that Joe Klecko deserves to be there.  John Hannah was an offensive guard on the New England Patriots who is in the Hall of Fame, and would be one of the great players if he played in todays game. The guy was dominant, and he says without reservation that Joe Klecko deserves to be in the Hall.  Hannah played for years against Klecko; I think he would be the best judge of if Klecko deserves to be in the Hall or not.

Although Howie Long was just an observer being on the defensive side of the ball, he says without question that Joe Klecko deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

I think these guys know more than the idiots that vote for the players for who goes to the Hall.

Oh I agree.  Howie Long mentioned Klecko in his HOF acceptance speech.  That's really saying something.   This should be the year a real push is made by the Klecko2Canton people to get the voters to take another look at this guy.  It's really kinda crazy that he's not in there.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

lol. Kickers are people too man.   It's actually interesting. As I got stuck in that worm hole I learned many of the kickers who are on the NFL all time scoring list are not in the HOF.  I think that's odd. Kickers have one of the most high pressure jobs in the entire NFL.  Those guys are worth their weight in gold. 

Just the fact that so many are on the all time scoring list shows their value. They score more points than most offensive weapons we all value so much.  

Leahy was so solid for us for so long that we didn't even have to think about the K position in the first portion of my lifetime as a Jets fan.Leahy  was just a constant.  18 years if I IIRC. 

Remember this? 

That was funny sophomoric stuff. Sandler has had his moments & he's a huge Jet fan. Guarantee you see him around more with Darnold here.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jetster said:

the flip side is Klecko was going against guards and centers (for the most part) while 99 was going against actual Anthony Munoz. 

all of the sack exchange helped the rest of the sack exchange, let's be real about that for a start

the team never won any hardware therefore they aren't making the hall of fame. Hall of very good. Hall of Great even. 

tearing down Gastineau (who by the way ran like a gazelle, something like 4.6 at Tulsa) doesn't change history 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the flip side is Klecko was going against guards and centers (for the most part) while 99 was going against actual Anthony Munoz. 

all of the sack exchange helped the rest of the sack exchange, let's be real about that for a start

the team never won any hardware therefore they aren't making the hall of fame. Hall of very good. Hall of Great even. 

tearing down Gastineau (who by the way ran like a gazelle, something like 4.6 at Tulsa) doesn't change history 

Not tearing him down, I just believe his health issues after retiring could likely be tied to steroid abuse, that's all.

46 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Not tearing him down, I just believe his health issues after retiring could likely be tied to steroid abuse, that's all.

here's a newsflash everyone you've ever heard of in the league has juiced in some way 

even the punters

remember Ward Melville's own Todd Sauerbrun

That was funny sophomoric stuff. Sandler has had his moments & he's a huge Jet fan. Guarantee you see him around more with Darnold here.

Yeah. The song is moderately funny. Good concept though.

We are going to see a surge in open jets fans in the next few years if darnold progresses like we hope he will. You know that’s how it goes. lol
Sandler has been here the whole time so he’s ok

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I believe I watched intently every single game that Joe Klecko and Mark Gastineau played together, and the fact is that Klecko was the better, more dominant player.

Mark was one of the best pass rushers in history, who has great quickness and strength, but he was not a complete player like Klecko. Don't forget, Klecko could run through you or around you, or over you, it made no difference to him.  Mark relied on his great quickness, but although he was strong, had trouble in my opinion with the upper echelon offensive tackles.  He destroyed the average offensive tackles, but he focused on rushing the passer, and his ability against the run was average, not the best. They were great together on the field, but Klecko was so much more physically intimidating than Mark Gastineau. This is why Mark will never be considered for the Hall of Fame, nor should he be.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure why so much of the pro Klecko stuff has to be so negative towards Gastineau.  I get the Klecko was better against the run, big ******* deal.  Would anybody take peak Snacks Harrison over peak JPP?  Klecko was injury prone and for all of the talk about what he meant to the team, Klecko came out 2 years earlier, but Gastineau played in two more playoff games despite the fact that they both left in 1988.  Gastineau also had 8.5 sacks in his 7 postseason games, compared to Klecko's 1 in 5. 

• Upvote 2

Also having seen just about every game of both players, Klecko was the better and more impactful player which is not meant to take anything away from Gastineau who was a terrific pass rusher.  Would love to have a player of Gastineau's ability on today's Jets, but Klecko at his peak was really special.  The recent player that reminded me of him was the 2008 version of Kris Jenkins who was almost impossible to block one on one.  Only knock on Klecko was that he was often injured, most times playing  through the injuries, but they did take a toll on him and his prime was not as long as it was for some of his peers

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Alka said:

Mark was one of the best pass rushers in history, who has great quickness and strength, but he was not a complete player like Klecko. Don't forget, Klecko could run through you or around you, or over you, it made no difference to him.  Mark relied on his great quickness, but although he was strong, had trouble in my opinion with the upper echelon offensive tackles.  He destroyed the average offensive tackles, but he focused on rushing the passer, and his ability against the run was average, not the best. They were great together on the field, but Klecko was so much more physically intimidating than Mark Gastineau. This is why Mark will never be considered for the Hall of Fame, nor should he be.

To me, being a great pass rusher is HOF worthy.  And, as far as I'm concerned, Gastineau's sack record holds to this very day (because Strahan's record is phony due to Brett Favre)

• Post of the Week 1
10 minutes ago, cat999 said:

Also having seen just about every game of both players, Klecko was the better and more impactful player which is not meant to take anything away from Gastineau who was a terrific pass rusher.  Would love to have a player of Gastineau's ability on today's Jets, but Klecko at his peak was really special.  The recent player that reminded me of him was the 2008 version of Kris Jenkins who was almost impossible to block one on one.  Only knock on Klecko was that he was often injured, most times playing  through the injuries, but they did take a toll on him and his prime was not as long as it was for some of his peers

What many of the most casual fans @SAR I and the ilk do not understand is the dirty work that takes place along the defensive line, and particularly the Defensive Tackle position. Many just look at the ball (and during this time, that is what the camera paid attention to), rather than why a runner may try to bounce outside, or why coaches may only attempt to run away from a particular player. That was Klecko. In fact, while Klecko took the dirty job of taking on double teams, he also made plays against those fronts.

Bud Carson was one of the great innovators of defense during Klecko's playing days.hHe has said that the position of NT was defined by Klecko during that period.

What robbed Klecko of true stardom was his injuries. They sapped much of his speed and he had to re-invent himself.  If not for those injuries, he would be a no-brainer HOFer.

What the Hall has to do is take that into consideration (like they did with Terrell Davis, who only played 6 seasons) and look at the totality of the the effect that Klecko had on a defense, and how he transformed his play based on injuries, yet that did not diminish his contributions. Thos contributions just changed in ways that were not as measurable.

• Upvote 2
On 7/3/2019 at 5:11 PM, Scott Dierking said:

What many of the most casual fans @SAR I and the ilk do not understand is the dirty work that takes place along the defensive line, and particularly the Defensive Tackle position. Many just look at the ball (and during this time, that is what the camera paid attention to), rather than why a runner may try to bounce outside, or why coaches may only attempt to run away from a particular player. That was Klecko. In fact, while Klecko took the dirty job of taking on double teams, he also made plays against those fronts.

Bud Carson was one of the great innovators of defense during Klecko's playing days.hHe has said that the position of NT was defined by Klecko during that period.

What robbed Klecko of true stardom was his injuries. They sapped much of his speed and he had to re-invent himself.  If not for those injuries, he would be a no-brainer HOFer.

What the Hall has to do is take that into consideration (like they did with Terrell Davis, who only played 6 seasons) and look at the totality of the the effect that Klecko had on a defense, and how he transformed his play based on injuries, yet that did not diminish his contributions. Thos contributions just changed in ways that were not as measurable.

I think you nailed it in your post! If not for Klecko's injuries, I believe he would have been considered on the best defensive lineman in history, not just a HOF defensive lineman.  When healthy, he could start for any NFL team in any year, in any decade.  To me, when healthy, he was far and away the best player the Jets have ever had.  No one has been better, ever.  When playing the Jets, the other teams defensive coordinator needed to know where Klecko was on the field at all times.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps there’s some hope...

So this is what we know about the Pro Football Hall-of-Fame’s plan for its 2020 Centennial Class: There will be 20 inductees, including 10 seniors, three contributors and two coaches, and it is subject to approval of the Hall’s board of directors when it meets Aug. 2.

But that's all we know.

There is no word on how the class will be chosen, when it will be chosen or who does the choosing. Rumor has it that a blue-ribbon panel will be involved, but who that will be and how it is selected also is unclear.

Which means we know little more than what we’ve already been told, and that’s that the Hall has a proposal to reduce – albeit slightly – an excess of qualified seniors waiting to hear their names called and will do it to coincide with the celebration for the NFL’s 100th anniversary.

The burning question, of course, is: Who will be chosen?

So I posed it to the nine members of the seniors committee, hoping to gain insight into the leading candidates. I asked them to name their three top choices for the class and asked how many seniors they would’ve liked to see involved.

Now before we get started, let’s get something understood: This is nothing more than a straw vote. Committee members may or may not be involved in the selection of candidates. I simply wanted a guide from the most knowledgeable persons involved with the selection of seniors.

And here’s what I found: If it were left to the seniors committee, the first candidates off the shelves would be Duke Slater and Maxie Baughan, with Alex Karras, Cliff Branch and Ken Riley not far behind. Others like Drew Pearson, Al Wistert, Randy Gradishar, Mike Curtis, Jimbo Covert, Tommy Nobis, Joe Klecko, Chuck Howley and Cliff Harris were mentioned, too.

Now remember: This is nothing more than informal poll. But it may offer insight into the most crucial step toward forming the Class of 2020.

Slater was the most popular choice, and that makes sense. Shortly before the Hall’s former executive director Joe Horrigan – also known as the NFL’s unofficial historian -- retired after 42 years in Canton he was asked to name the first player he would nominate for inclusion.

He named Duke Slater.

“He was one of the few black men to play in the 1920s,” Horrigan said in a February interview with the Talk of Fame Network, “and had the longest … and, by far, probably the most successful … career.”

Slater was the first African-American lineman in NFL history and one of the top linemen of his era. He was also the NFL’s only African-American player, period, in 1927 and 1929. He not only was a six-time All-Pro but never missed a game because of injury.

He would later go on to coach and in 1960 become the first black member of the Chicago Super Court, then the highest court in the city. He’s been a Pro Football Hall-of-Fame finalist twice – in 1970 and 1971 – but was not chosen.

Baughan was a standout linebacker who was a nine-time Pro Bowler and seven-time All-Pro in his first 10 seasons with Philadelphia and the Los Angeles Rams. He was part of the 1960 Eagles’ championship team and is one of three seniors with nine or more Pro Bowl nominations (offensive linemen Jim Tyrer and Walt Sweeney are the others).

He was not, however, a member of the 1960s’ all-decade team, passed over for five linebackers – Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, Tommy Nobis, Dave Robinson and Larry Morris – who went to a combined 10 Pro Bowls in the 1960s … or one more than Maxie Baughan.

Butkus and Robinson are in the Hall. Baughan, a member of the Eagles' Hall of Fame, has never been a finalist.

Wistert, Pearson and Harris figure to be among the favorites, too, for this reason: They were first-team all-decade choices. There are seven of them who somehow slipped through the cracks to the seniors pool, and you have to believe that some (most?) will be chosen.

“I like the idea of getting some of these old-timers off the ballot and into the Hall,” said one senior committee member, “(but) I am curious how they handle the numbers without making these guys feel like second-class inductees.”

Like that individual, all seniors committee members are happy the Hall has plans for an expanded class to celebrate the NFL’s 100th anniversary. But most are disappointed the group isn’t larger.

Some were hoping it would include 17 to mirror the Hall’s 1963 charter class, including one member who said he wanted the expanded class to include only seniors (other than the five modern-era nominees, that is) because “the backlog of seniors is exponentially higher than contributors, who are going in at a much higher rate – per capita, as it were – than seniors or modern-era candidates.”

He’s right about that. There are, according to our Rick Gosselin, 65 all-decade seniors who are not in Canton. Worse, of the seven first-team all-decade choices that are missing, only one – Cliff Harris – has been discussed.

And that was once, in 2004.

https://footballmaven.io/talkoffame/nfl/slater-baughan-head-these-voters-favorites-for-hall-s-2020-class-of-seniors-ZlmrR-QxqEWeBtW5fmkBIQ/

I believe I watched intently every single game that Joe Klecko and Mark Gastineau played together, and the fact is that Klecko was the better, more dominant player.

Add to it that mark crossed the strike line. It was decided that day that he would never make the hall no matter what he did.

Everyone should know that he still holds that single season sack record. Favre laying down for Strahan is fine for what it was but no one laid down for gastineau. To think that he still has not been legitimately beaten is pretty insane.

• Like 1
On 7/3/2019 at 4:09 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not sure why so much of the pro Klecko stuff has to be so negative towards Gastineau.  I get the Klecko was better against the run, big ******* deal.  Would anybody take peak Snacks Harrison over peak JPP?  Klecko was injury prone and for all of the talk about what he meant to the team, Klecko came out 2 years earlier, but Gastineau played in two more playoff games despite the fact that they both left in 1988.  Gastineau also had 8.5 sacks in his 7 postseason games, compared to Klecko's 1 in 5. 

On 7/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, GREENBEAN said:

Add to it that mark crossed the strike line. It was decided that day that he would never make the hall no matter what he did.

Everyone should know that he still holds that single season sack record. Favre laying down for Strahan is fine for what it was but no one laid down for gastineau. To think that he still has not been legitimately beaten is pretty insane.

Jets fans hate Mark Gastineau for tons of reasons. number one is probably the late hit on Bernie Kosar in Cleveland, which was a bonehead play. also quitting on the team and becoming a boxer and dating brigitte neilsen or whoever she was made him dead to the fanbase

but these posts talking about the "Dirty Work" of the Dline is whitewashing the reality that 99 held the season sack record, still holds it as @GREENBEAN points out and given a choice every coach in the league would take peak Gastineau over peak Klecko...  He had 22.5 sacks in a season!!! and invented the sack dance

you take him every day and twice on Sundays over 73. Klecko stopping the run is awesome etc but it's all about sacks, then and even more now.   

Klecko by the way is a convicted tax cheat and that doesn't help his Hall of Fame case. It brings me no joy to bring this up. But it's something voters take into account, plus the fact that NEITHER won a RING dooms their chances, forever. 

• Like 1