Do the Jets have the NFL'S best Safety Tandem?

This Jamal Adams stuff is hilarious. EVERYONE in the NFL believes & many have actually STATED that Jamal Adams is a very, very good player.....except a few Jet fans, lol.

Granted, we ALL KNOW due to hindsight that Mahomes should have been the pick but we lucked out & the Giants passed on Darnold. Soon we'll have a All Pro QB (Darnold), RB (Bell), Safety (Adams), LB (Mosely), TE (Herndon), & DT (QW), and hopefully Leo so I'm cool with the way things have fallen into place for our Jets.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, TeddEY said:

24th ranked pass defense in yards per game.

17th ranked in Y/A.

The answer is either, no.  Or, yes and it doesn't matter.

23 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Seems as if opposing offenses missed this memo.

Maye doesn't even have his shoes tied in this photo. No wonder he's always hurt. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Jetster said:

This Jamal Adams stuff is hilarious. EVERYONE in the NFL believes & many have actually STATED that Jamal Adams is a very, very good player.....except a few Jet fans, lol.

Granted, we ALL KNOW due to hindsight that Mahomes should have been the pick but we lucked out & the Giants passed on Darnold. Soon we'll have a All Pro QB (Darnold), RB (Bell), Safety (Adams), LB (Mosely), TE (Herndon), & DT (QW), and hopefully Leo so I'm cool with the way things have fallen into place for our Jets.

Sounds like a recipe for another Patriots Superbowl.

• Haha 1

The # 1 pass defense last year was the Bears, with a tandem of Eddie Jackson (PFF # 1 Safety) and Adrian Amos (# 8).  They lost Amos to free agency and replaced him with Clinton-Dix (# 17).

The Rams had the # 9 pass defense and reached the Super Bowl with John Johnson (# 9) and Lamarcus Joyner (# 28).  They replaced Joyner this offseason with Eric Weddle (# 10). 

I'd say those are your 2 best bets for top Safety duo in 2019.  Even if you could argue that Adams is the best Safety in the game, Maye just can't stay healthy. 

Jackson was a 4th rounder, Amos a 5th rounder and Johnson a 3rd rounder, by the way.

• Upvote 2

I know you're going to call me a homer but the Raiders trio  Of FS /Ss/  NCb Lamarcus Joyner , Ss Jonathan Abram( rookie)  FS- K Joseph will prove to be more effective safety trio than the Jets  duo.     All three will be on the field together when teams play with three Wr sets.     L Joyner will play NCb.( J Crowder)  FS - K Joseph. SS - Johnathan Abram ( rookie first rounder ) - Chris Herndon .   

When only two Wr FS Lamarcus Joyner Ss Johnathan Abram .   

I know you're going to call me a homer but the Raiders trio  Of FS /Ss/  NCb Lamarcus Joyner , Ss Jonathan Abram( rookie)  FS- K Joseph will prove to be more effective safety trio than the Jets  duo.     All three will be on the field together when teams play with three Wr sets.     L Joyner will play NCb.( J Crowder)  FS - K Joseph. SS - Johnathan Abram ( rookie first rounder ) - Chris Herndon .   

Like clockwork, this one.
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/2/2019 at 4:08 PM, NYJ1 said:

Doubtful. Jamal is amongst the very best Safeties today. However, with that said it's really hard to tell what the hell Maye is with how often he's injured? The simple fact is he looks really good in VERY limited playing time. So to say they are the best Safety tande? I think that's absurd. When they have a few years of injury free play complimenting each other's playing style, then, and only then could such a thing even be suggested.

Then I think that should go for other safety tandems too, correct? Yes Maye has a history of injuries and missed 10 games last year. However, he played all 16 the previous year and has only been in the league for 2 seasons. So I'm not sure why people act like he can't EVER get on the field. Its not VERY limited playing time, its just the guy missed 10 games last year. 

I think the fact that other safety tandems have been around a lot longer and have been able to create a reputation hurts Maye and Jamal. But some of those guys are injury prone too...just maybe didn't miss ten games last year like Maye. In that sense you're right, if Maye ends up missing half the season again , we can start to say, well Adams is really good but Maye is hurt a lot.  

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The # 1 pass defense last year was the Bears, with a tandem of Eddie Jackson (PFF # 1 Safety) and Adrian Amos (# 8).  They lost Amos to free agency and replaced him with Clinton-Dix (# 17).

The Rams had the # 9 pass defense and reached the Super Bowl with John Johnson (# 9) and Lamarcus Joyner (# 28).  They replaced Joyner this offseason with Eric Weddle (# 10). 

I'd say those are your 2 best bets for top Safety duo in 2019.  Even if you could argue that Adams is the best Safety in the game, Maye just can't stay healthy. 

Jackson was a 4th rounder, Amos a 5th rounder and Johnson a 3rd rounder, by the way.

Just gonna say that although I completely agree that Maye is injury prone and has struggled with a variety of injuries throughout his career, this notion that he never plays b/c he is hurt or can't get on the field is false. We have a very small sample size right now since Maye has only been in the league 2 seasons. He played ALL 16 games his rookie year and missed 10 games last year. Yes, missing 10 games is a lot. But people act like he has only played a handful of games for the Jets and so we either have no idea what he brings to the table or that he is a wasted pick b/c he never plays and that is simply not accurate. 

Can’t see how they’re not at least top 5. 4th seems about right. Maye needs to prove he can stay healthy.

Im thinking our safety tandem takes another leap forward this year because of the pressure up front.

Also, Adams won’t be asked to do as much with Mosley on the team.

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree. Those two teams have a better pairing partly because Maye seems to always be banged up.

The one thing to note though is that the Bears and Rams have two elite pass rushers causing QBs to make bad decisions. Those teams have better corners as well. 

We still don’t have a complete defense. Hopefully our pass rush is improved with Q and Polite.

Our corner situation is oh boy.

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

I know you're going to call me a homer but the Raiders trio  Of FS /Ss/  NCb Lamarcus Joyner , Ss Jonathan Abram( rookie)  FS- K Joseph will prove to be more effective safety trio than the Jets  duo.   

Three guys are generally more effective than two, yes

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Looks like another SB...and the rich just get richer. 

The Raiders last won the division in 2002. Isn't that enough for you? 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I agree. Those two teams have a better pairing partly because Maye seems to always be banged up.
The one thing to note though is that the Bears and Rams have two elite pass rushers causing QBs to make bad decisions. Those teams have better corners as well. 
We still don’t have a complete defense. Hopefully our pass rush is improved with Q and Polite.
Our corner situation is oh boy.

It’s almost as if Safety isn’t that important...

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

Then I think that should go for other safety tandems too, correct? Yes Maye has a history of injuries and missed 10 games last year. However, he played all 16 the previous year and has only been in the league for 2 seasons. So I'm not sure why people act like he can't EVER get on the field. Its not VERY limited playing time, its just the guy missed 10 games last year. 

I think the fact that other safety tandems have been around a lot longer and have been able to create a reputation hurts Maye and Jamal. But some of those guys are injury prone too...just maybe didn't miss ten games last year like Maye. In that sense you're right, if Maye ends up missing half the season again , we can start to say, well Adams is really good but Maye is hurt a lot.  

But....if Maye doesn't get hurt & now with Gregg Williams here bringing a more aggressive style of play they could be the best. Adams will be great year 3 sans getting injured. Any player can get injured so you just never know. Guys get injured in camp in this league & miss large swaths of games. 

You know how you help your team especially the defense in this league? You minimize the amount of snaps they play by getting off the god damn field on 3rd downs & control the game with your offense. The Pats every year are top 3 in offensive snaps! That means every time the announcer says, that's another 1st down, the defense has time come off the clock, more rest, more time to look at what the offense is trying to do, coaches get more time to strategize. More offensive control, more points, allows the defense to attack, hopefully be more aggressive on 3rd downs, play less snaps & inccur less injuries. 

On 7/5/2019 at 4:44 PM, Matt39 said:

Pats have better safeties. Belichick would laugh at this.

Not if Maye stays healthy. Adams is already closing in on McCourty & Maye will definitely be better than Chung. BB let Chung go & then brought him back. Pats SCHEME has been better than the Jets. 

On July 6, 2019 at 2:29 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Why does the rest of the league even try? The next 5 Super Bowls belong to Oakland/Las Vegas.

Probably not next year as the travel schedule is brutal .  First two at home , and seven games on the road.( counting a home game in London) .  There are like five teams ( Jets,. Giants , and three others) you add up all their travel miles together , and it's not more than the Raiders. 

Mayock put a first class scouting team together , very young deep roster on both sides of the ball, going to state with no income tax, and new spanking new Stadium/ training facility.     You might not be that far off after that. 

• Haha 1

Probably not next year as the travel schedule is brutal .  First two at home , and seven games on the road.( counting a home game in London) .  There are like five teams ( Jets,. Giants , and three others) you add up all their travel miles together , and it's not more than the Raiders. 
Mayock put a first class scouting team together , very young deep roster on both sides of the ball, going to state with no income tax, and new spanking new Stadium/ training facility.     You might not be that far off after that. 

How about next 8 Super Bowls? That’s crazy talk right?