JN Run Club

Was a runner for about 30 years.  Several times, I trained for marathons, but every time, i got hurt.  Took it as a sign and switched to triathlons.  Was pretty good when I was young and in shape -- finished top 5 in my age group in a national champrionship sprint triathlon in the mid 80s. 

Now, I am approaching 60, and I can't run anymore.  Couple of years ago doc said I would need surgery if I wanted to run and I decided to get back on the bike instead.  Which was great, until crash #1, broke 4 ribs when I went down 2 years ago.  Then last summer, riding in a group, some schmuck cut me off and I went down again.  Hit my head.  Hard.  No memory of the crash to this day.  Concussion and some road rash but the helmet my have saved my life.  Now its a couple of days on my trainer in the basement doing virtual rides;  a couple of days on an elliptical; and a couple days a week with some light weights. 

But I wish I could still run.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Because @T0mShane is running a Half Marathon in Joshua Tree and it’ll be funny to watch him die.

Also, @The Crusher has promised me a head-to-head 10K at Jets @ Skins this year.  So that’ll be fun!

Anyone run?

So T0m has traded in his fat body for a skinny fat body? Lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I may try to do the Hamptons Tri next spring.  Have a friend who did it.  Need to figure out how to get pool and bike time.  That’s the challenge.  Running is easy as far as time and resources.

Watermelon GU FTW

Ust the bike as transportation.  I used to hitch a ride to work with a friend in the AM; took my bike with me and rode home in the afternoons.  Or you can find a local bike shop and they probably do a couple of group rides a week.  Can be a lot of fun riding in a group -- as long as you avaid the sh!theads who cut you off -- see my post above^^^.  Just have to avoid the temptation to draft too much, since that will get you dq'd from the tri.athlon.

Pool is more of a challenge.  Had to give up the triathlons when I got married and had kids; too much of a time commitment.

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Was a runner for about 30 years.  Several times, I trained for marathons, but every time, i got hurt.  Took it as a sign and switched to triathlons.  Was pretty good when I was young and in shape -- finished top 5 in my age group in a national champrionship sprint triathlon in the mid 80s. 

Now, I am approaching 60, and I can't run anymore.  Couple of years ago doc said I would need surgery if I wanted to run and I decided to get back on the bike instead.  Which was great, until crash #1, broke 4 ribs when I went down 2 years ago.  Then last summer, riding in a group, some schmuck cut me off and I went down again.  Hit my head.  Hard.  No memory of the crash to this day.  Concussion and some road rash but the helmet my have saved my life.  Now its a couple of days on my trainer in the basement doing virtual rides;  a couple of days on an elliptical; and a couple days a week with some light weights. 

But I wish I could still run.

Wow.  Sorry you went through all that.  Sucks when the body lets you down or the other sh*t happens.  Sounds like you killed some tri's though.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Ust the bike as transportation.  I used to hitch a ride to work with a friend in the AM; took my bike with me and rode home in the afternoons.  Or you can find a local bike shop and they probably do a couple of group rides a week.  Can be a lot of fun riding in a group -- as long as you avaid the sh!theads who cut you off -- see my post above^^^.  Just have to avoid the temptation to draft too much, since that will get you dq'd from the tri.athlon.

Pool is more of a challenge.  Had to give up the triathlons when I got married and had kids; too much of a time commitment.

Living in the city, biking is about my greatest fear.  I don't even own one.  Honestly, I think I'd train at soulcycle.

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Wow.  Sorry you went through all that.  Sucks when the body lets you down.  Sounds like you killed some tri's though.

The aches and pains are just the body's way of letting you know you are still alive.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Was hoping you'd show up when I made this thread.

What was your marathon like?

I'd very much prefer the 33 degrees to the Tampa heat.  I did the NYC half last year in March, and it was in the 30s.  It was brutal up until the start.  But then, settled in fine.  I spend Christmas week in Miami every year, and running there is a nightmare.  Hate it.

My marathon was NOT a good experience. I ran the half in 1:58. During training, 4 weeks from marathon I hurt my knee.  I ran with a knee that was wrapped like Joe Namath. It was bad. Barely made it in under 5 hours. Im 57 , no excuse but I assumed I would run it in 4: 20.   I simply was not prepared for the last 6 miles. BUT.. in my office is my jersey, medal etc...   I  ran a marathon. The fact that 70 percent of runners beat me, well, I dont tell anyone.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

My marathon was NOT a good experience. I ran the half in 1:58. During training, 4 weeks from marathon I hurt my knee.  I ran with a knee that was wrapped like Joe Namath. It was bad. Barely made it in under 5 hours. Im 57 , no excuse but I assumed I would run it in 4: 20.   I simply was not prepared for the last 6 miles. BUT.. in my office is my jersey, medal etc...   I  ran a marathon. The fact that 70 percent of runners beat me, well, I dont tell anyone.

Hey ! You finished and not that many people can say that. Congrats man.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

When is your 1/2 marathon TOm ? You want to start tapering down the week before the race. Any LSD then will do little good. It will just tire you out for the big day. By a week before the race either you have it or you don't have it.

Thanks, Thai. That's helpful. The half in November 2nd, so I have some time, but I have so much work to do to be respectable over any real distance, which makes the tendinitis frustrating because it sets me back.  

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Thanks, Thai. That's helpful. The half in November 2nd, so I have some time, but I have so much work to do to be respectable over any real distance, which makes the tendinitis frustrating because it sets me back.  

Thank God it's in November and not this month. You've got plenty of time plus it will be a lot cooler then. If you've got a decent base it will carry you thru. One year I tore a calf muscle doing track work in July. That ruled out my mid September Skylon Marathon. That's the year I decided to run the 50 in November. I had lots of 100 mile weeks in the spring and early summer so even tho I did diddly squat after the calf tear my base pulled me thru the 50.

PLEASE do NOT OVERTRAIN and wear yourself out before the race.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Thank God it's in November and not this month. You've got plenty of time plus it will be a lot cooler then. If you've got a decent base it will carry you thru. One year I tore a calf muscle doing track work in July. That ruled out my mid September Skylon Marathon. That's the year I decided to run the 50 in November. I had lots of 100 mile weeks in the spring and early summer so even tho I did diddly squat after the calf tear my base pulled me thru the 50.

PLEASE do NOT OVERTRAIN and wear yourself out before the race.

How many miles per week would you recommend? the program I've been using recommends 12, but I've been doing 20 (which is why I have the tendinitis). 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How many miles per week would you recommend? the program I've been using recommends 12, but I've been doing 20 (which is why I have the tendinitis). 

I did a cycle class 2X a week when I ran my half.  Great training...  id recommend it as part of the training. 

• Upvote 1

I ruined my knees mogul skiing and have had the left knee surgically fixed twice so I really cant run anymore.  I dont miss running but do miss the skiing. Golf and fishing and motorcycle riding are my things now.

Word of advice to those using Ibuprofen (or any other NSAIDs ) after a race. 

1000mg of ibu is an overdose. It  can cause CKD (chronic kidney disease) or even complete renal failure.. With renal failure you wind up on dialysis. Some people are more sensitive and prone to this. There sre no immediate symptoms and you wont know whats happening till the damage is done.

I know of a few people this happened to and if you recall it is what ended Seahawk Ken Easly's career.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I'd recommend you not "train" until September.  2 months of actual training should be fine.  For now, get healthy, run for overall fitness, run for enjoyment.  12-15 is probably okay if you're new to running, over 3 runs in a week.  Maybe do one for 5-6 miles, but I wouldn't push past that, and for now, keep that one at like a 10min plus pace - easy.  Time on your feet is more important than anything.

When we hit labor day, hopefully your overall fitness will be a bit better and your body will be acclimated to more mileage, and you can ramp up to 4 days, and closer to the 20ish miles per week.  3 weeks out from the run, maybe you top out at like 10-11 mile run, and relatively easy.  I wouldn't push much past that.  You have a lot of time, no need to force this.  Take it slow and stay healthy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'd recommend you not "train" until September.  2 months of actual training should be fine.  For now, get healthy, run for overall fitness, run for enjoyment.  12-15 is probably okay if you're new to running, over 3 runs in a week.  Maybe do one for 5-6 miles, but I wouldn't push past that, and for now, keep that one at like a 10min plus pace - easy.  Time on your feet is more important than anything.

When we hit labor day, hopefully your overall fitness will be a bit better and your body will be acclimated to more mileage, and you can ramp up to 4 days, and closer to the 20ish miles per week.  3 weeks out from the run, maybe you top out at like 10-11 mile run, and relatively easy.  I wouldn't push much past that.  You have a lot of time, no need to force this.  Take it slow and stay healthy.

This is what I have to do. I kept blowing past my targets the first two weeks: three mile runs became (sloppy) five mile runs, my first long run ended up being 7 .5 miles and I did a 5k the next day. Really screwed it up. I think what I have to do is what you suggest here and supplement it with what @southparkcpa (and my program) suggests--throwing in bike work on the "off" days to target cardio. 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The rule of thumb used to be that you could race 3X your daily average. If you're running 20 per week that's about 3 miles per day which equals racing 9-10 miles. To me TOm the key would be to get in some longer runs say 8-9 miles. That would, I think, help you with your pacing training. If you can handle that 13 should be no problem. Nothing worse than having a long run of say 3 miles then trying to push it to 13 on race day. Disaster waiting to happen.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is what I have to do. I kept blowing past my targets the first two weeks: three mile runs became (sloppy) five mile runs, my first long run ended up being 7 .5 miles and I did a 5k the next day. Really screwed it up. I think what I have to do is what you suggest here and supplement it with what @southparkcpa (and my program) suggests--throwing in bike work on the "off" days to target cardio. 

That's how you learn TOm. 2 hard workouts back to back is not good. Had you done the 7.5 on say Monday and the 5K on Saturday that would have been fine as long as you took it easy in between. You will learn to listen to your body, it will help you tremendously. TeddEY's advice was solid. Goes with what I mentioned about getting rest and not over training.

• Upvote 1

On 7/3/2019 at 11:36 PM, T0mShane said:

So I’m in NY at a wedding weekend, half bombed on Fire Island and only checking in intermittently, you running a FULL or a HALF?.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So I’m in NY at a wedding weekend, half bombed on Fire Island and only checking in intermittently, you running a FULL or a HALF?.  

A half, for now. One in November and one in April. That wedding sounds like a good time and its a great day for it. Have a couple for me

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, Thai Jet said:

That's how you learn TOm. 2 hard workouts back to back is not good. Had you done the 7.5 on say Monday and the 5K on Saturday that would have been fine as long as you took it easy in between. You will learn to listen to your body, it will help you tremendously. TeddEY's advice was solid. Goes with what I mentioned about getting rest and not over training.

What I've learned so far about running is that if you've ever--EVER--had a lower extremity injury, running distances will remind you that you once injured that knee/ankle/hip or whatever. It's like touring a moving museum of past sports injuries lol. It turns out that my knee/hip soreness is caused by my weak IT bands, which is an issue I experienced before when I played a ton of basketball (but had forgotten about). I now have a training regimen for it filled with all the girly exercises you see the ladies doing in the gym to get that bubble butt. Very much looking forward to morphing into Beyoncé in a few weeks 

• Haha 1

So serious question. I'm a big believer in HIIT vs steady state aerobics and believe it has superior efficacy when it comes to health and longevity benefits.  Not to mention time is our most valuable asset, so even if you can achieve only nearly similiar benefits in 25% of the time (I've read studies showing similar benefits for 12 min of hiit vs 45 min of steady state) wouldnt it make sense from a time efficiency perspective to go high intensity or is there some pleasure beyond health benefits derived from long distance running (endorphins/runners high?)

Not knocking anyone just curious.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A half, for now. One in November and one in April. That wedding sounds like a good time and its a great day for it. Have a couple for me

I ran a half NO PROBLEM at age 56.   Never ran more than 8 to 9 to train.  sounds like you’ll be just fine.  stretch, do some weight training on legs and run the way you have been.  seriously, your posts tell me you get it and you’ll be ready.  We want pics!!!!!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CTM said:

So serious question. I'm a big believer in HIIT vs steady state aerobics and believe it has superior efficacy when it comes to health and longevity benefits.  Not to mention time is our most valuable asset, so even if you can achieve only nearly similiar benefits in 25% of the time (I've read studies showing similar benefits for 12 min of hiit vs 45 min of steady state) wouldnt it make sense from a time efficiency perspective to go high intensity or is there some pleasure beyond health benefits derived from long distance running (endorphins/runners high?)

Not knocking anyone just curious.

Yes.  It does probably make sense to do HIIT, in terms of efficiency.  But yes, there are plenty of benefits beyond just the workout.  For me, these are a few:

Motivation - when I was training for the marathon, I skipped maybe 3 workouts out of 4 days per week over 4 months, many of which were at 5am.  I would never maintain that type of discipline just by going to the gym.  Further, and in part because, there’s a tangible goal at the end.  Not just “heath” or “fitness.”

Mental - While I’ve always felt good after any good workout, there’s something meditative about a long run.  When your fitness level is there that your not fighting to survive the run, it’s relaxing and restorative.

Community - There’s also great opportunities for community.  Running is a common language.

New sights/experiences - I’ve lived in Manhattan for over 5 years now, and Queens for a few years before that.  I’ve never experienced it as I have since I started running in it.  I’ve run through an empty Times Square, I’ve run up the FDR, I’ve seen new parts of Central Park, I’ve crossed many bridges on foot, I’ve run from 57th st on the east side around the bottom of the city and up to the GWB, plenty more. 

Because we can - some of this is evolutionary.  Lot of theory that besides our brains, distance running is our thing.  Running great distances is hard, and it’s cool.  Few people run marathons, it’s awesome for those that do.

Certainly worth a drop in efficiency when I’m still getting workout benefits.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Yes.  It does probably make sense to do HIIT, in terms of efficiency.  But yes, there are plenty of benefits beyond just the workout.  For me, these are a few:

Motivation - when I was training for the marathon, I skipped maybe 3 workouts out of 4 days per week over 4 months, many of which were at 5am.  I would never maintain that type of discipline just by going to the gym.  Further, and in part because, there’s a tangible goal at the end.  Not just “heath” or “fitness.”

Mental - While I’ve always felt good after any good workout, there’s something meditative about a long run.  When your fitness level is there that your not fighting to survive the run, it’s relaxing and restorative.

Community - There’s also great opportunities for community.  Running is a common language.

New sights/experiences - I’ve lived in Manhattan for over 5 years now, and Queens for a few years before that.  I’ve never experienced it as I have since I started running in it.  I’ve run through an empty Times Square, I’ve run up the FDR, I’ve seen new parts of Central Park, I’ve crossed many bridges on foot, I’ve run from 57th st on the east side around the bottom of the city and up to the GWB, plenty more. 

Because we can - some of this is evolutionary.  Lot of theory that besides our brains, distance running is our thing.  Running great distances is hard, and it’s cool.  Few people run marathons, it’s awesome for those that do.

Certainly worth a drop in efficiency when I’m still getting workout benefits.

Thanks! Exactly what I was hoping for and makes complete sense.

• Sympathy 1

On 7/2/2019 at 11:05 PM, TeddEY said:

If I remember correctly, your username is your zip.  There’s some great short runs/jogs/walks along the FDR path that would make a great start.

The Queensboro Bridge is 1.4M with a serious incline, and beautiful, when you get your strength on the inclines.

i will look into it.  i am also biking.  i need to get 30 minutes of cardio in 4x a week.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So it’s 8:25 PM and it’s 88 degrees outside. What tips do you guys have for running in relatively high heat other than pounding water? Just suck it up?

Don’t run at effort.  Just get out there, and get your body acclimated to moving in poor conditions.  It’s awful, but will undoubtedly make you stronger when things feel better.

• Upvote 1